Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

Bringing back the tire chat

tyre cage: A thing you shelter in when inflating tyres. They can find their own place to hide, or has something else gone wrong here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

pant pant posted:

Nice try Death. I know there doubloons in that cave

What's the going rate on second-hand SCUBA?

vvv Making it 100% profit. 100,000% in bitcoin profit.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 16, 2015

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

How the hell do you go about getting the operator out of the skid steer at this point? Just have them lower the forks and try to fold the tank down, or would you need to try to cut it?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Didn't signal their lane change, I'll bet - typical commuter.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I like his jet kettle. Specifically, the way he (a) uses it indoors and (b) does not wear ear protection while using it.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Buff Skeleton posted:

I get the sense a jigsaw is not meant to be used this way :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80bgLQuCLuk

I originally found this dude's videos from this thread, and I love them for the ingenuity and soothing nature of woodworking. But this one looks hilariously dangerous; I'd be afraid of that blade snapping off and flying up into my face or something.

Can't comment on this, but his videos are all in his basement - count the number of times you've seen him wearing ear defenders.

That said, I loved his latches for his shed.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
The switch on Australian outlets is SPST, and only switches the active.

Or, rather, only switches what's meant to be active - add one cheapskate who replaces a failed socket on his own to save the call-out fee for a licensed electrician and assembling this contraption becomes quite the crapshoot.

Also, AU is 230VAC, 50Hz, US is 110VAC, 60Hz. I really hope the other end of that is running to a switchmode power supply and not an electric razor.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think the weirdest part of this image is looking at the underride guard behind the apparently-untouched back wheel. Either there's some damage there I'm not seeing, the underride guard doesn't go all the way across the back of the truck, or the physics of crashes are :catdrugs:

The underride guard tends to just be cantilevered outboard of the vertical attachment bars - the only thing standing between you and decapitation is the wall thickness of a box section.

The one that made me mad was the Hyundai unmodified trailer where, presumably to save $2, they had no gusseting on any of the underride bar and it was effectively cosmetic.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Ashely Furniture's press release sounds like there might be some crossover with the sovcits-getting-tazed thread.

VV I've come to the conclusion that Slavs are basically indestructible. For evidence: some Russian men live past 25.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 22, 2015

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

I am trying to find information an accident at a power plant I've only heard described as "Marietta 5" or "Marietta Unit 5".

Basically they had a turbine and a generator, and a short circuit occurred - I'm not sure if it was near the generator or elsewhere in the power system. But so much torque was developed in the generator it tore off its base and crushed a worker who was unlucky enough to be standing nearby. (I assume that the coupling between the turbine and generator held for too long before snapping, so that probably contributed to the torque developed that tore the generator off its concrete base pad.)

Do you mean Duvha 4?

http://www.therisktoolboxshop.com/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=83701

Didn't kill anyone, though.

Failure was most likely precipitated by electrically isolating the generator while under load - suddenly, up to 600MW of mechanical energy isn't going to a load and spools up the turbine much faster than the steam valves can be closed.

These specifics are about as close as I can find to the case you're talking about.

Edit: another gem

http://www.philamillwrights.com/photos.html

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 26, 2015

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm guessing the school director had an interesting talk with her afterwards.

Our folks once ran an evacuation simulation and one of our floor wardens left a (simulated) blind person behind to (simulated) burn to death. It was an interesting discussion and he didn't stay a floor warden.

We also planned a multi-organisation emergency plan test in which everyone was meant to preface every radio and telephone call related to the exercise with "Jameson Jameson Jameson". See if you can guess what happened when the fire brigade were callled for a faux-chemical spill.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

baquerd posted:

I don't get it. Did they go looking for the Irish Whisky?

They deployed their hazard guys per the exercise intention, but did not mark out in their system that they were deployed on-exercise. The event plan was that should a real incident occur the exercise hazmat team would still be available to respond; due to the missed exercise identifier and thus flag, that unit would have been unavailable.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

FIRST TIME posted:

That dog is obviously lurking, waiting for the right moment to pounce and kill that poor roomba.

So, you're suggesting dog-proof PPE for robotic vacuum cleaners?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

I love the sound track: "You should have known better".

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Nothing quite like a few terabecquerel to remind the savages that they oughtn't be poking about where they don't belong. Sure, you could remove a source and place it somewhere safer, but then the uneducated have missed the sort of important object lesson that only comes with everyone in the neighborhood losing their teeth, hair and the internal surface of their gut dying and their skin sloughing off.

But seriously, in that case everything was so utterly wrong and broken: the clinic owners were stopped by the police from removing the source until they paid a bribe (? - my memory might not be 100% here).

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 4, 2015

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Not a piano, though.

Did get saved for slides on "don't get under suspended loads"

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Was hoping for "Oh ye of little faith" or "Guys, I'm concerned".

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

What the gently caress is going on at about 2:40? Is the engine melting through the plane???

I would guess oil fire. Since you turn aircraft mags 'off' by shorting them out, I should think that the fire's burned through the magneto ground and he can't shut it down. With a dry sump and 32 gallons of oil, that particular party could go for quite some time.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

`Nemesis posted:

How screwed are they if the truck breaks down?

Depends if the drum is driven by a pony motor or by a PTO off the drive engine.

If the former: they'll dump sugar into the drum to stop the concrete setting until the truck's mobile, at which point they'll attempt to deliver it to someone who doesn't much care for the slump testing results dispose of it responsibly,. If the latter, they'll usually attempt to dump the concrete in the road verge and rely on the local council to eventually break up the resulting dinosaur turd and dispose of it for them.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Explosionface posted:

On the topic of ladders, what do you guys think about going down them Navy style (facing away from the ladder)? I learned it from my dad and everyone looks at me funny when I do it.

That if I saw anyone doing it on a site where I was safety officer, they'd be looking for a new job sharpish?

Going down ladders facing outwards has been understood to lead to an inordinate number of accidents since at least the 1940's when the railways got serious about stamping out the practice.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Welp, nearly lost a finger today at work.

I had to unjam a specialty heavy duty printer we use, and after telling the one other person there not to print anything until I said so, they printed something literally five seconds later. My finger was right between a metal roller and a sort of cut-off blade, but I heard the near-silent electronic whine of the printer heating up and I pulled my finger out just as the things started spinning. The persons response was ".... oh, these printers?!". No dipshit, I meant don't use the printers in the department on the other side of the building.

They're on probation now.

Sounds like your Lock out tag out procedures are garbage.

Come to think of it, your equipment should be equipped with microswitched access panels and machinery guards which prevent the equipment from operating while things are open. The latter would not make up for the lack of the former.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

In rural Canada there is a lot of propane heating still. After the last 2 lovely winters a lot of smaller towns are starting to go to natural gas cause propane started getting close to $1/L and it's really annoying to have to get gas delivered so often when it's -35 C (doesn't really matter if Celsius or Fahrenheit that low I guess). A lot of my job is doing main extensions to bring gas from dead ends to new customers/businesses because they're getting rid of propane or fuel oil.

At -35C wouldn't LPG start to have problems with vapour pressure, meaning that it doesn't matter how much propane costs, unless you can burn it as a liquid you aren't using any?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

buttcoinbrony posted:

When jet powered go-karts are outlawed, only Colin Furze will have a jet powered go kart.

E: That got me thinking, I assume Colin lives in the UK based on accent, how does the UK feel about his kickass Wolverine claws? Did he register them with the Queen's Ministry of Butter Knives?

The Queen's Ministry of Butter Knives' ambit doesn't extend to super-villains-in-the-making.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Freezing conditions would cause it to collapse?

You're assuming the occupants survive the CO from the pulsejet-derived air filtration system long enough for this to matter.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

There a lot of crossover between buttcoin and grow ops?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

door.jar posted:

Don't forget that key ingredient in gasoline, citrus fruit.

For people still motivated to try their plans: the only product this device is going to reliably produce is high-velocity red-hot mild steel* plumbing parts.

But citrus fruit is actually a good feedstock for FT reactors. Which, again, this isn't a plan for. This is a plan for a hilarious obituary.

*: the go-to material of choice for high-pressure, high temperature work in a reactive atmosphere.

e: Citrus also contains limonene which gets a write up in everyone's favourite book about letting engineers do primary science, Ignition.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Surely it would be cheaper to install a permanent pillar containing a compressor and air drier? (assuming that they're using purge nitrogen continuously)

• Locked thread