Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Whenever it comes time for maintenance instead of opening a bleed valve to safely release pressure this guy just comes along with a wrench and loosens nuts at random until he starts hearing air coming out, and then when it's time to seal it back up he does the opposite: tighten nuts until you don't hear air
"Mechanics don't really need proper education."
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm not sure I want to Google that term, is it related to having less skin coverage than expected?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

-Zydeco- posted:

Well you you just slip gloves off to remove them right? Well if you just slip your skin off.......
Sounds like I concluded correctly that I shouldn't google this now, thanks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

for context, they roleplay ww2, crawling dude is german soldier and tractor guy is soviet tank

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

goodness posted:

Please no more table destroying. Even though you timg it is still gigantic for some reason
timgs open to screen width if you click on picture itself, full size if you click on resolution box in timg

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Garrand posted:

unless quoting an image automatically adds timg?
yeah it's what forums does

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VendaGoat posted:

Bernie I told you to "Snake the pipes" not "Pipe a snake"

The road cone of caution is just icing on this.
maybe it's there to be used for self-defence

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SneakyFrog posted:

NEW AT SHELL!

Because we care about our customers, at each island we now provide a state of the art self service DEFENSE SNAKE (TM) by Omni consumer products.

In case of mugger, identity thief, or religious extremists, grasp the snake firmly by the tail, and utilize in a whipping motion to and fro with vigor.

The patented "squishy squeeze" (TM) mechanism will disable the Assailant.

DEFENSE SNAKE (TM) , the ultimate in gas pump security, brought to you by SHELL and Omni consumer products.
:laffo:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GotLag posted:

I'm curious as to how they emptied it out of the pool afterwards.
going out on a limb here but they may have used chemicals to make syrup less viscous or to break it up completely

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

The world would be a safer place if this were installed on every truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydAlbGRUAas
:five:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

what the gently caress is being attempted here?
breeding of a new circuit type

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LookieLoo posted:

The static effects when he holds the camera close. Holy poo poo.
What is he even playing with that can just turn gamma radiation on and off?
Assuming you talk about 2nd video, teenager built his own x-ray source from two vacuum tubes he bought in a giant radio supplies market in Moscow. OSHA part kicks in to it's full extent after 1:30 in the video, when he puts finger under the beam. That finger got 25 sievert radiation equivalent and a 3rd-4th (4th is most severe in Russian classification) degree radiation burn. His right wrist got under the beam as well, and it also was damaged, but doctors were able to fix it.

Idiot must be thanking any gods he is aware of for buying tubes that produce soft radiation.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 29, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Do you have an article about this incident?
Only in Russian, unfortunately. Regarding the dose, direct quote is following:

quote:

According to the data from employees of Federal medical biophysical centre, maximum equivalent dose of radiation (20-25 sieverts) fell on the index finger of the right hand.
It is important to note here that they specifically denote that it was just the particular finger that received that much radiation. Examples you bring mostly relate to the radiation dose received by the whole body, where, per same article, 3-5 sieverts would imply a 50% death rate within 2 months.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Ah, thanks. Google Translate is plenty accurate for an article like this.

Looks like the tubes he found were designed for doing x-ray analysis of materials (welds and the like, I'd guess). It says that the doctors were able to save his "hand" but nothing about his fingat specifically.
Finger likely got amputated, but they don't mention it's fate indeed. As for the "hand", a wrist in particular is meant.

If you're curious about the tubes, BS1 is the first here and the other one is one of these.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

John Yossarian posted:

Does a 4th degree burn reach bone? I'm just trying to imagine the type of damage those homemade x-rays did.
Yes, 4th degree burn can imply up to (?down to?) necrosis of even bones.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I need to take it easy on this thread. I've been having OSHA related nightmares the last 3 days in a row.
The airplane related ones were by far the worst.
On topic of airplanes, how common are mild crash-related panic attacks during the first flight?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this is in my dorm elevator

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

It's getting cold, time for electric heating that doubles as Christmas decoration and trespasser deathtrap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9xair-t-Es

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

treasure bear posted:

here's to a safe 2016 where no-one will catch fire and fall down a hole
I have bad news just now in from Dubai.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mozi posted:

So you've got about a 95% chance of making it across without getting wet, maybe? And there's a line of how many people? And they do this every day?
No idea if it's daily occurrence, but description mentions that those are FIFO workers.

Edit:

Here's another one, that plenty of commenters refer to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EkdEIDwN14
:eyepop:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

These are popular in ex-USSR as well, though they are at least somewhat safer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNM8BqAVLNk

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Platystemon posted:

That’s an immersion heater, which is significantly less of a bad idea than an electrode boiler.
Oh wait, that's heater through electrical discharge? :stonk:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Surely empty?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

What are you supposed to do in a situation like that, where there is an obvious fire hazard and you can't do anything about it? Evacuate? Call the fire department so they can come over and call you all idiots?
If there are immediate means to safely and reliably eliminate the hazard - do so and call fire department. If there are no such means, immediate evacuation of every living being from the building while calling the fire department.

However, what people are supposed to do and what they actually do often-times differ drastically, hazardous situations notwithstanding.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

His pain is over.
whoa

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 20, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i wish they had something like this in the hostel i stayed, insteaad of random folks walking into the common area at 4 am through the ground level fire exit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is made by the author of self-maiming earthquake beds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SaNChEzZ posted:

Apparently my building takes OSHA a little too seriously

Better than not considering it at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4JCMkGPJeo

• Locked thread