Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah that's genius, although there is a real risk of a chain breaking and whipping around or something, so I wouldn't want to stand next to it while he's doing that.

e. I'm referring to the reverse-o-matic thing three posts up

I was under the impression that you use chains so that there is no "whipping". When a chain snaps it just falls to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

Aren't like a third of US bridges in disrepair because lol Republican tax cuts?

Nah, places like Portland (the morrison bridge) are run by Democrats.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Darth123123 posted:

But it read to me that the Singapore people were unable to lift 10 lbs of fire extinguisher 1 cm. All the training (unless its fitness lol) wouldn't help them weak tits.

Child workers aren't that strong anyway.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

goodness posted:

How often do people actually get their home renovations/addons inspected. I assume there is a fee with getting it inspected and passed?

In my city the fee is a tiny percentage of the total cost estimate of the renovation/addon. The fee for my small addition was like 16 dollars.

*fake edit* It's a requirement where I live to have the city inspect it. You can't have Billy building a second story deck out of scrap 2x4's and finishing nails.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

wtf is that?!?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Angela Christine posted:

Because young people grew up with hot pockets. Convenience food. In some cases their parents also grew up with microwave convenience food, and nobody knows how to use anything as arcane as a pressure cooker.

Recently my mom was hit by a car and for a while had people from a local health authority contractor coming in twice a day to help her with her medication, clothes, making her bed, and supposedly cooking her dinner. The trouble was that most of them didn't know how to cook anything. One of them failed to make canned soup. Didn't realize you were supposed to add a can of water to the can of glop, and apparently didn't read the clear instructions printed on the side of the can. She basically had to stand next to them and talk them through how to do anything, at which point she might as well do it herself. Eventually she gave up and just had them make a token peanut butter sandwich, and she'd make herself something else after they left.

I'm in my 30's and I have two pressure cookers and a slow cooker that get used a lot.

The pressure cookers are newer and have a hole in the lid stopped with a hard, rubber seal. If the pressure gets too high the rubber seal pops off and steam exits the hole in the lid.

Even with all of that I do not leave the kitchen when the pressure cooker is cooking.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Angela Christine posted:

Do you keep a camera on hand so you can immediately photograph it if it explodes?

Yes. But so far I can only take shots of food to post in GWS.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ekuNNN posted:

It finally happened! A cellphone caused an explosion at a gas station:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIQAkafSM1M

I don't know if this is caused by his cell phone or not, but dielectric heating with a radio is a real thing.

I've never seen it with a radio as small as a cell phone, but I have seen it (and felt it!) occur with other portable radios. With millions of cellphones and uncountable parts in fuel/fueling systems the chance of something being on the right frequency, or harmonic, is quite possible.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

jamal posted:

Uncountable parts? the fuel system on that bike has about 5 parts.

I'm talking from a OSHA standpoint. How many parts are in the fuel systems of everything that uses fuel? How many parts are in the fueling systems?

And I seriously doubt there are 5 parts in that fueling system. There are pins, washers, screws, etc to account for too.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Yeah it definitely seems more likely that a part or two in the fuel system resonate perfectly with some EMR than for some gas vapors to have been ignited by a spark guys.

Yep. Glad you see it.

This looks really good and safe:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

I mean, its like track lighting I guess. Oh I guess it fucks up polarized plugs.

Get on my level son!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Feindfeuer posted:

You are aware that molen metals, like aluminium, are transported by truck on a regular basis. Because smelter and factory using the molten product are not always one and the same. So setting up a molten metal pipeline up for your neighbour is probably really the most OSHA way to do it.

e:

to stay ontopic, that's how it looks if such a truck crashes.

I like how the truck is like: "Nope, nope, nope, nope."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

NSFW due to screaming profanity. Dude get's crushed between train cars, but they somehow get the cars stopped and pulled apart before he's strawberry jam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btr1wsEwTkE

I looked up train couplers and there seem to be a million different things that exist to couple cars that do not involve a human getting between cars.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAwxo01Ang

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

I used wood heating my whole life until I enlisted in the military. It's insanely cheap compared to propane, especially if you get a license from the Forest Service to poach their huge slash piles during fire season. You do have to stock up on logs/pellets prior to the actual winter but whatever.

Wood is our backup. We use electric, but bad ice/snow storms have knocked power out for as long as 8 days before.

You're real glad you have that little wood stove in the corner then.

Getting the wood can be a real OSHA event every spring though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SneakyFrog posted:

fun fact:

You are supposed to actually be on top of the stupid trainee in the event of a "misthrow"

They are stunningly common.

Which is why you might only throw ONE live grenade before they expect you to do it for real.

In Iraq in 2003 I had an opportunity to use a hand grenade. I was up against a wall of a two story house. The second story was set back a bit so there was a porch up there with a small wall around it. A couple of dudes were firing knockoff MP5s as some Soldiers across the street. I figured I'd just arc the grenade up and on to the patio. Then I had a vision of the grenade bouncing off the wall above me and falling at my feet. I put the grenade back in it's pouch and never took it out again for the rest of my time there.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

WarpedNaba posted:

So how'd you kill those nerds?

We just went in the house and shot them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

GotLag posted:

Obviously the safest disposal method is to throw them all in a bonfire, that way it won't matter if a few ignite.

I see that you have also been deployed overseas.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

GotLag posted:

Would the bridge crew have a relatively easy escape?

I would imagine that the violent capsizing would slam them pretty hard against walls/ceiling/furniture/etc. So they might already be severely injured. Add to that the disorientation of the ceiling becoming the floor and you'd be sucking water before you could orient yourself.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

GotLag posted:

Yeah, but no. The hydrogen was ignited by sparking due to a charge build-up and the fire spread to the skin. Note that fabric not near the hydrogen fires didn't burn completely.

With modern materials and engineering I'd ride a hydrogen aircraft.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

zedprime posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the relevant major breakthroughs in modern engineering are your choice of risk management tools that should all come to the conclusion of "you know what, lets not make a hydrogen dirigible."

I don't see the issue. We fly safely while sitting on over 60,000 gallons of jet fuel all the time.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

Jet fuel can't melt air frames

Mercury can. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Ilxsu-JlY

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Alereon posted:

it's been a long time since someone was probated for leeching

I got quite the probation for it recently.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

buttcoinbrony posted:

Think I can make it in between there?

Nope.

Oh ye of little faith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcZXZ9WzBc

"Mayday mayday, I'm a dumbass!"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Robo Reagan posted:

logs which are a lot tougher than bones

Point of order. Our bones are made of metal (calcium) and stronger than steel.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EKDS5k posted:

Pound for pound maybe. They're not nearly as dense as steel and weigh basically nothing compared to an equivalent volume. Also they're far more brittle and prone to shattering under shock loads. Same goes for wood, although obviously not as extreme as steel.

Sure, yeah. But compared to a stick of wood I'd say fresh bone is a bit tougher.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EKDS5k posted:

The fact that wood is stronger than bone is the entire reason early humans started making tools out of wood instead of bone. If you're talking purely about supporting a static load in the vertical position, then yes, bone has a lot going for it. In basically every other application it loses out to even low grade pine.

The fact is that the bones in your arm wouldn't slow down the blades in even a small wood chipper, never mind the bigger units.

I'm going to start spamming "The fact that" whenever I speak to people about anything. :colbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

uPen posted:

Shooting the whole bullet casing and all is much more efficient.

"We give you 65% more bullet, per bullet!"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do pumps in russia not cut off automatically from the back pressure?

I've had pumps fail to cut of a couple times on me. Luckily I stand there the whole time I'm filling up and was able to cut it off before too much gasoline poured out on the ground.

Now I listen and cut it off manually when I hear it fill up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BANME.sh posted:

i've never had gas spill on my shoes due to a faulty pump. not living in a 3rd world country is nice sometimes

California is the worst.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX7R5Hr3t9o

Pretty safe I think.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Platystemon posted:

When you think about it, driving is super dangerous and the average American risks their life every day to commute to their boring, menial job.

I deployed to Iraq twice and whenever people would tell me to "be safe" I'd always tell them that I was safer over there than they were driving over here.

We lose about 15 children a day in the U.S. to car accidents.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 24, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

flosofl posted:

had to remove the front bumper to access the receptacle for the bulb

It's not BS. You also need two different sizes of ratchet (with an extender!) and a screwdriver.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I was there when this happened:

Both of the dudes involved died from having no skin a few days later.

There was nothing left standing in the vicinity of the propane company. Their brick store was just gone. Windows across the city were blown out, and there was a disgusting thick cloud of smoke. It was like a dense fog that covered the city.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I was just at a little facility that sold commercial gases of various types anything dangerous you could possibly drive into had huge bollards protecting them. How did this place have critical valves in the path of idiot's trucks??

I don't know exactly what he was filling up. But the truck was backing up to the tank to be filled and just backed up too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

zedprime posted:

What he's saying is the location engineering is supposed to be such that for the normal truck, there shouldn't be a physical way to strike anything easily shearable like a valve or pipe. Like someone backing up too far is guaranteed so you better make it so backing up isn't done going towards important things without a bollard in the way.

Oh, I have no idea exactly what happened. I was a teenager stockboy at the grocery store across the street.

I just have accounts that were shared in our small town.

• Locked thread