Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Disappointed this was not a link to airframe parachutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Say Nothing posted:

When in doubt, just follow the instructions.

Bullshit that would last all of 5 minutes before someone painted out the first line.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Cross posting from the construction tales thread.

Deep 13 posted:

I think this thread would appreciate Grant Thompson, youtube DIY superstar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9UjxG8sN1c

Check out this current controller you can make at home!

If you like this, his homebuilt arc welder project is pretty great, too.

Seems like a reasonable solution to the problem "how do I control the current in my home made arc welder".

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Was there a Watch For Falling Rocks sign?

This is maybe my second favourite sign acter the "frogs!" sign or whatever it is because what the gently caress am I supposed to do if a rock falls on me or so close to me i can't brake and how has the sign helped? There might as well be signs every 500m saying "Warning: possible hazards".

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If you're wearing your PPE and following established safety procedures then injury should be minimal from the arm-manglers and head-crushers.

I'm not sure I'd want even a minimal mangling of my arm or crushing of my head tbh

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

How has she not seen terminator I mean seriously. Surely someone else would have made the same joke before.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

You aren't supposed to plug in your nintendo there, that socket is for lamps. So you can turn all your lamps off and on with one switch.

Current building regs in the uk insist that the lamp sockets have a specific plug design so you cant plug regular devices into them. I think the logic is that the maps are on a 5A fuse vs a 13A but I'm not convinced that the sockets at my dad's house aren't just on the 13A circuit because the electrician was lazy.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dablakh0l posted:

Actually, there is no specification of orientation in the NEC code book. Two theories about it being mounted with the ground pin up is that something dropped from above would hit the ground pin first rather than shorting the two main lugs. The second, is that someone plugging a cord in, most likely has his thumb on the top of the connector. If his thumb touches the ground lug when plugging the cord in, nothing happens. However, if his thumb bridges the main tabs, he's going to know it immediately. Originally, the 3-prong outlet was designed to be mounted ground up, however people saw a face in the pattern and mounted it 'right side up'.

Once again the mighty British 3 pin plug/morning star combo wins, until the earth pin is engaged the socket won't actually switch, none of this mount it upside down poo poo.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jusupov posted:

Got to get more pine beetles somehow, easiest way is to not burn the forest and just let it turn brown.

Dead pine trees are insanely flammable though. Years ago some friends burned an old christmas tree in a tiny courtyard garden and it went up in seconds. This was obviously a stupid idea but someone poured water on it so the real problem was how do you get a soaking wet half burned christmas tree out through your flat without covering everything in poo poo.

Answer: you don't.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

BAE systems had (or has) one of these set up to take about 4 people that they used to show off on open days or something. Of course, that was programmed specifically for it.

Insert joke about reliability of BAE programming here.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

You'll be an excellent safety grandad. "Well kids in the war I kept all my limbs attached with this one weird trick that enemy combatants hate.."

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

VectorSigma posted:

Those were cosmic rays, a different beast.

Ben Grimm nooooo

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

So there were two different iPod versions, FireWire and USB, and they weren't interchangeable or keyed with different connectors to make it impossible to plug the wrong thing in!? :stonklol:

The one time it would have been legit to change the connector and force everyone to buy new cables...

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Christ how can "yeah this thing that planes do will never happen so we won't bother teaching you about it" be a sound basis for a pilot training programme.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

That happened in a grocery store I used to work at once. It was the aisle with the deodorant on it. A can of Axe broke on impact, took off like a rocket, and barely missed hitting a cashier in the head.

That would have made a local reporters month: "Local woman survives Axe to the head"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

spog posted:

You're thinking of words, not wood.

Remember: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me

Unless those words are "dude the chipper's jammed give it a kick will you?"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

Don't drop it.

"In case of break glass, emergency!"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Platystemon posted:

And to think I believed that the Aérotrain was the pinnacle of jet‐powered‐hovertrain insanity.

This rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

This is quite literally the explanation for how the boys get stranded on the island in The Lord of the Flies. Step up your game idiot amateur designers.

• Locked thread