Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CuteJen96 posted:

After you say your goodbyes, and in this instance, the doctor loaded the guy up with a bunch of morphine (or pain killers) and they uncoupled the train, at which point every internal organ that was where it was supposed to be when the train was coupled, slid out and onto the ground and half a torso dropped out.

Duct tape and cable-ties would have prevented that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm actually seriously wondering if the company I work for has any connection to that crane. We've done a ton of jobs training operators and trainers from the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, India, etc.

Bet your website loses any mention of that quicker than if you trained Hulk Hogan.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Waci posted:

That's a lot for you, huh?

I'm confused where this smack-talking is going.

Is one of you accusing the other of having a ladder fetish?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

PBRstreetgang posted:

Thank you OSHA for the great no nonsense replies, in lieu of a picture.
Heres something that happened today, Its not my blood, but can guess whos it is?
This literally happened the next day after I asked the OSHA thread a question about safety!

yes, thats arterial

Are you confessing to a murder?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Decrepus posted:

Arterial blood is just regular blood dude it isn't a big deal.

It is when it's escaped my body.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

mostlygray posted:

It's sad that lock out, tag out is necessary but there is always some jackass that will gently caress you up.

Always remember that you are betting your body parts on your coworkers not being gently caress-ups.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

GotLag posted:

How would one go about safely demolishing such a structure?

Hire someone from another country, get them a visa that gives them no workers rights and then pay them peanuts (if you bother to pay them at all).

Well, safe for the rich local, anyway.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: Here, have some good, proper, OSHA-approved (or UK equivilent of OSHA) demolition:

I think they are showing off how clever they are, like a teppanyaki chef.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

buttcoinbrony posted:

When jet powered go-karts are outlawed, only Colin Furze will have a jet powered go kart.

E: That got me thinking, I assume Colin lives in the UK based on accent, how does the UK feel about his kickass Wolverine claws? Did he register them with the Queen's Ministry of Butter Knives?

Somewhat bizarrely, they are specifically banned for sale:

quote:

here is a ban on the sale of some knives:

flick knives (also called ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed
butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
disguised knives, eg where the blade is hidden inside a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
gravity knives
sword-sticks
samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
hand or foot-claws
push daggers
hollow kubotan (cylinder-shaped keychain) holding spikes
shuriken (also known as ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Phanatic posted:

This is a really big deal. Works like that for medical alarms, too. Walk through an ICU or even most hospital rooms and alarms are going off everywhere all the time, and they get ignored. If they're ignorable, they shouldn't be alarms in the first place.

I am sure I watched a documentary about fighter jets that used the voices of the pilot's children as alarms. The idea being that the pilot would pay a lot more attention to them, rather than a computer voice.

I can;t find anything on the web that refers to that - perhaps it was a prototype?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Jesus, fcuk! I'm carrying something like that next to my genitals?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Illustration from 1956 or 1958

What has happened to man that a lathe is no longer an essential item?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Lurking Haro posted:

It's behind the doors on the side. It's also powered by an uncovered drive shaft.

I mean today.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's an AC transformer...
I have no idea what the gently caress it's doing there... step-down for a 12v something?
Shouldn't that be in a junction box?

Doorbell?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Slanderer posted:

You'll be hard-pressed to find modern white paper without it. However, try it on an old library book, or maybe the paper in a drug-store romance paperback.

Try a check/cheque book.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

/\/\/\ That would be Korean Airlines.

There was also a KLM disaster where it was speculated that the co-pilot/engineer were afraid to challenge the captain, who was literally the poster-boy for KLM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

spog
Aug 7, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

Sure, yeah. But compared to a stick of wood I'd say fresh bone is a bit tougher.

You're thinking of words, not wood.

Remember: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me

spog
Aug 7, 2004

spog
Aug 7, 2004

While the technology is equivalent to the drawings I did in the back of my school books at at age 9, you can't deny that it is slickly animated.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

If memory serves, that pallet that fell was a brand-new MRI machine worth multiple millions.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Xir posted:

You'd be hard pressed to have picked a worse example to harp on. Dave Shaw died trying to recover the body of a diver to return it to his family. Additionally, you're entitled to judge people who's ambitions aren't content with living safe lives but that doesn't make your opinion particularly correct. If not for people pushing both their own boundaries and the boundaries of what is considered possible a lot of what is now commonplace, like flying, would be out of the reach of humanity. We would all be poorer without pictures of the galaxy to marvel at, and astronauts had to risk their lives to fix Hubble to bring them to us. Daring to try dangerous things doesn't by default make them terrible people.

I am quite happy to harp on Dave Shaw's stupid dive:

He died, trying to recover a body that was at rest at a depth/conditions that made recovery stupidly dangerous.

He made his wife a widow and his two children fatherless with this foolhardy attempt that anyone with even the most basic of experience could have told you was almost guaranteed to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I like how nonchalantly he gets out of the truck to survey the scene, as if he wasn't literal inches from becoming marinara sauce.

And how normal he walks, as if he didn't have a load of poo poo in his shorts.

I bet he's confused and thinking 'where is my truck?'

• Locked thread