Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
The end of this memorial tourney is pretty drat good. Sudden death on the 18th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://pgatour.2k.com/

From the dudes who made The Golf Club, more details on the 14th...

Really been wanting a good golf game on the Switch (Golf Story owned but the golf mechanics are poo poo). Looks dece.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Got a friend into golf for the first time a couple months ago. He was borrowing my clubs and we’d go get beers at the driving range with some other buddies. Surprised him and bought him a used set of cobras and gave him my old driver and a putter I had in my garage. He’s been out 3 times now and has shot 125, 120 and now 115. All he wants to do is play and then play whatever EA golf game is out when he’s home. Dudes totally hooked and it’s kinda renewed my love for the game. Really fun playing with someone so stoked to even be there, even if they’re not that good.

And that’s the pot calling the kettle black, because for some reason the time away from golf has broke my brain and now what was my biggest weakness, chipping and putting is lights out and my driver feels alien and totally poo poo.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Shot the second best round of my illustrious career (lol) yesterday, an 87. Played like dog poo poo the front 9 with 11 over and then played 4i off the tee, shortened my swing and slowed my pace down to shoot 6 over on the back. If there was only something to take away from that experience....I guess we'll never know.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

daslog posted:

Shot a career best 86 today. No 7's 1 birdie, 4 pars, and a whole bunch of bogies.

Best score bro’s high five.

I feel like I’m never going to break through to the low 80’s, shooting 92,88,94,90. I’ve played 3 times in the last 5 days and I hope to keep that kind of pace. I’m going to do it this year damnit.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

SquirrelGrip posted:

I played my first game of golf and it’s good, but I’m bad. That’s my golf story

That story won’t change

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just picked up a mizuno mp18 mmcflihietcetc 2 iron to replace my driver. I’ve been playing a 3 and 4 off the tee all season with good results so gently caress it, right?

It looks cool anyways.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought pxg was supposed to be some sort of exclusive club and then I saw a commercial of theirs and it was like watching a 2002 Dodge Ram commercial. Hella embarrassing.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

fuckin lol.

welcome to fight night.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Now that the clouds have finally opened in Washington and released their load I’m forgetting how hard it is to hit from deep rough in the rain. Anyone have any tips on playing in downpour? My head says slow up the swing and relax but I thought i remember reading it was more important to keep swing speed up. I also feel like I primed my gently caress up pump this summer using nothing but irons. Now I don’t even carry woods.

God drat this game.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

ElGroucho posted:

I had a round yesterday with 3 dudes, and they ended up good and drunk by the end. It's honestly gotten annoying how drunk these dudes manage to get. They aren't falling over, but they are loudly arguing about bullshit on the tee instead of hitting the ball, poo poo like that.

One of these dudes is sharing a cart with me, and every time I'm about to swing, he's telling me "Look, look at me... look, look... you gotta swing the bucket, and drop the water over here"

We are playing for Wolf with Dots for 10 cents. I won $4.30 by the end, and these dudes are all in the red. How the gently caress are you going to give me advice? I had to tell him, "Man, stop giving me tips, I am absolutely loving eating your lunch, focus on your own goddamn game."

I am not a great player, but I hate when people who are worse than you think they can help you out.

Im sorry this sounds rough but thank you for letting me know what wolf hammer is.

I got no idea how you can be that hosed up and even play that game, jesus.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Shrapnig posted:

Bryson DeShamu

I'm not going to let this gold die.

I have set up a small 8 person golf outing at the company I work for. Tee time is tomorrow. I don't know why I can book my usual 4 man drinking crew without a care, but all the sudden adding the CFO in the mix is making me nervous as gently caress.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
So stoked today. Shot the best round of my life, an 81. Nothing felt too awesome, just putting all my chips into places that were easy two putts and a handful of one putts. The greens being soaked helped too. Ready to go out every day this week now lol.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm a trash golfer but chipping is what im decent at. I only use a 56 and my swing thought is always to get the ball 2-3' past the pin. With that swing thought and the predictability of only using one club i'm still trash but i haven't chunked a chip all year. :shrug:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
People who like that guy must see something I don’t.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Daric posted:

Custom ballmarkers are expensive. Instead, I’ve been buying cheap enamel pins on Etsy and cutting off the pins on the back. Here’s my new Ruby Rhod and Uncle Buck ballmarkers.

Didnt know id fall in love tonight. But the Ruby Rhod is....going to make me hit consistent 80's im sure of it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's the course? Im in Seattle and would be stoked on that deal, especially for my boys who are only a year into the game. Any course is fun when you bring small stakes into it i think!

Shot a 92 today, but it felt pretty good! Putts were close, drives were ok...just a day where nothing was really coming together but everything was manageable. Just pumped to get out there in Fall, its cold and refreshing.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just left wondering if 200k dead was enough blood for the golf gods.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Petey posted:

Oh man I disagree. I got the Feels above in brown/grey and I'm swapping out the grey laces for navy blue and they're beautiful.

https://truelinkswear.com/collections/shop-all-footwear/products/true-og-feel-amen-limited-edition?variant=32901846106241

drat these are sick.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Anyone see any good deals on push carts? I'm looking to stop riding because next year as I'm turning into Pizza The Hut.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I bought a Datrek last year and its holding up really well, its got full length and its light and cheap.
https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/datrek-go-lite-hybrid-stand-bag-17datmglthybrdstnbag/17datmglthybrdstnbag

2ndSwing ended up having Sun Mountain carts with a 50 dollar gift card and free shipping so I went that route.
https://www.2ndswing.com/pv-1565139865-new-sun-mountain-speed-cart-gx-push-and-pull-cart-steelyellow-ships-today.aspx

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe it’s just wild Covid depression and my brain is hungry for any dopamine it can get but watching Tiger Travino and Daly and all these other guys I grew up watching with my dad and seeing their kids do work and enjoy time with their fathers/sons is making me want to take the old man out to the track. Lotta feels...

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dr. Capco posted:

I'm a 13 hc and I've broken 80 three times, shot even par for a front 9 and made 2 eagles. I'm a decent player but I'm really good at forgetting/not caring about previous mistakes. Golf is all about having a cornerback mentality and instantly forgetting about whatever just happened if it was bad, and building off it if it was good. If you make a couple birdie/par putts to start a round then it's your day and it's time to go on a hot streak, if you lip a couple out or start slow and make a bogey/double then there's plenty of holes to birdie and improve your score.

Actually this is wrong. Golf is all about never letting go of anything bad and forgetting anything good you've done almost as it happens. Existence is pain. Spend money to suffer.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I love DryJoys and dont care how they look cause my game is enough of a joke. Just don't forget cedar trees, mine get real gross real fast.

Just placed an order for JPX921HM's yesterday. Finally replacing my MP60's after....13 years? Fairly stoked, I was never really good enough for the MP60's the JPX feel a little more relaxed and easier to hit.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Maybe in their world. I still feel like your average joe is going to drop a hell of a lot of strokes learning how to putt. It's also the easiest thing to practice.

That said, gently caress Bryson. Idolize golfers you'd actually want to play with, not that grating dork.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Good, folks should hold themselves to a higher standard while playing a game mired in racism, sexism and homophobia. There's plenty of language to use in that situation, all of it better than what he chose.

Also ran my handicap for last year, 17.4! Yes! I'm officially a bogey golfer!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Golfs fuckin back. That was a good tourney and even though I’m sure a million folks are gonna die from it, it was nice to hear a crowd.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kirios posted:

Man now I'm jealous. There are zero fellow PNW golf goons for me to even have a chance to get a round in with anyone here.

I’m in seattle but lovely so yeah.

Played today, first time out with the new 921’s and had a blast with how much easier and further they are than my old mp60’s, but I absolutely ate poo poo around the green within 150. I’ll have to spend some time on a par 3 and get my act together.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Its dope golf is growing and one of the only upsides of this otherwise terrible time in all our collective lives is getting new folks into golf so they can pick up a terribly expensive, alcohol habit inducing waste of time. I've turned a couple work-acquaintances into life long friends this year, probably kept me somewhat sane.

Also, I cannot imagine carrying water for Bryson, dudes a total douche. Standardize the balls used on tour, get them spinning and lovely. We can standardize the balls used in other sports, tires/chassis in vehicle racing, just do it and slap diff logo's on the balls like body shells on NASCAR box frames.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

DJExile posted:

Giving all the players a bunch of lovely bargain basement top flite rocks for a tournament would be a hoot

You thought they cried about the greens at Chambers Bay, lets see them hit this 1995 Pinnacle that's been in the water for a decade.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Westwood, big putt. Happy for the old man.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
My buddy is a huge comic fan, will cop these for sure.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
god drat dude, that must feel awesome! happy for your success and happy for my little joker buddy.

also, finally joined a mens club and got my ghin this year, 16.5! Super stoked and hope to be less lovely by years end.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mr. Mambold posted:

Golf Megathread 2021: Super stoked and hope to be less lovely by years end.

Super Stroked and hope to be less lovely by years end.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
imagine being the dad to that kid. just getting absolutely smoked by your 12yo.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Petey posted:

After my fitting was over, he asked if he could give me a setup tip (not swing), and I accepted. He then showed me how I was consistently opening my left shoulder a bit at setup, and then did something truly insane I have never seen before, which was tell me to stand 10 feet behind him and watch him set his shoulders, and then, to prove how straight his setup was, he brought his club and head back, looked directly behind him at me, and then hit a 250 straight shot while never looking at the ball, just rotating through while leaving his head looking directly back at me, like an owl.

Then he stomped loudly, pounded his chest and screamed, 'THIS IS MY HOUSE!'

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I feel like you gotta shame folks when they're first starting really hard, because 15 years in of playing lovely slow golf, they're never going to change.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

RCarr posted:

“Maybe you should hit it on the right line”

Well gently caress, Bryson owns now.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
both of these dudes are super dorks attempting to out cool one another, they just cant tell they are the exact same guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
It was really good playing with a dad. Mine brought me into golf at around 9 years of age. I’m 35 now and he’s in his early 60’s. He’s suffered some illnesses over the years which has left his knees destroyed and his inner ears ruined so he’s having a hard time holding steady. I remember him being my size and banging it out 280-300 and now hes lucky to hit it 220 and it’s rarely down the middle. His putting is on point, though, and his chipping ain’t bad. I guess that’s the transition to being an old golfer I hear so much about.

It’s interesting to view the aging process through the lens of golf. It really is a game for any age, but it can weigh on your heart.

Happy Dad day to y’all.