Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
For what it's worth I met somebody that got to scratch from copying YouTube videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Not too hard to be honest, you either do get it or you don't, there are 2 possibilities. So it is a 50% chance

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
On one golf trip there was a guy that posted some high scores before the trip, and then somehow thought gorse was to be treated as a lateral water hazard. And uh, I was more annoyed by others' slow play than anything.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Josh Lyman posted:

To be fair, if they're dropping within 2 club lengths, it's effectively the same as taking an unplayable.

Oh I mean a lost ball in dense gorse. Like on the right side of this hole:

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Josh Lyman posted:

Oh, that's probably just a pace of play thing then. Lots of people will just drop in the general area if they can't find a ball.

Well, you just need to play a provisional! We had a rule (we were playing for money) you get a drop in the fairway lying 5 if you have two lost balls.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

DoctaFun posted:

If it's the first one that's cool, if it's the other two then you might want to work on course management. Most people(pros included) will avoid the 30-50 yard range because it's tough to get a lot of spin from that distance and it can make for some difficult approach/pitch shots, especially on firm greens or tight pins.

Except for very specific situations this isn't the right way to play at all. You're much better off being closer to the green, even more so as a high handicapper. And if you remember Woods on 15 or Norman on 13 at Augusta, they played their third shots from close in.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

torgeaux posted:

Close to be close is a mistake. A full wedge out is better than a half wedge for most golfers. Yeah, 10' off the green is better than 100 yards, but 100 yards is generally a more manageable distance than 60 yards, and it makes sense to set up your shot accordingly.

This is dead wrong. You can look at pro golf stats or your own game. Thirty or sixty yards out you'll hit it closer to the hole than a hundred, even from the rough vs. from the fairway. If you're bad at golf you'll get fewer wild misses, you'll be on the green more often, closer to the hole, and with a lower score. If you're a pro, likewise. You might feel worse about your misses when you're closer but they're still better than where you'd be with a full wedge.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

torgeaux posted:

Look at it this way: Par 5, 630 yards. I cannot reach in 2. I can hit driver/3 wood and be inside 100 yards, but also am hitting 3 wood off the deck. I can hit driver/hybrid and be at 125. It's always driver/hybrid. I'm more accurate with my wedge at 125 than I am with my lob wedge at 80, and I'm MUCH more likely to be at the right angle hitting that hybrid than the 3 wood.

If your lob wedge is worse than a pitching wedge you need to get your clubs adjusted, it doesn't fit you. But it's probably not, it just feels worse when you have an equal miss.

Actual data shows that pros and amateurs are better off from closer distances instead of full wedge distances. They're better off laying up closer if they can. Obviously the right distance is often one with less trouble. If you don't think so, I recommend tracking your average score from 125 yards out, 100 yards out, 75 yards out, etc.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

torgeaux posted:

Do you contend a half wedge is consistently more accurate than a full swing? Because your thesis leaves a lot of less than full shots since you're playing for pure length.
Yes. This is a 100% known fact for pro golfers when they choose to put themselves in the situation, it's also a 100% known fact for me, a 10 hcp golfer that doesn't practice the shot, and I'm happy to bet it's true for you. Also you're better from 70 yards in the rough than 125 from the fairway. (But not if you're behind a tree.)

On that hole if you could hit from closer "for free" instead of having substantially increased chance of hitting in the water, it would be in your interest to do so.

Also, if you're hitting a wedge into a hole like that, there's no real benefit of having a certain angle, unless you really do miss long/short more than left/right.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

2.93 vs 2.86 if you're in a PGA event. The rough is friendlier on most courses, and most golfers have more self-induced inaccuracy so I think that'll overcome the 0.07 stroke gap. It's bogeying and double bogeying from that distance that'll get people like me, not an inability to get up and down from that distance.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It should have a skills contest section like old-school figure skating, and then you get judged on the club twirl/zombie walk after your follow-through.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I hope the Presidents Cup OP includes a tutorial about how to charge "your loving phone".

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Shrapnig posted:

You mean the Ryder Cup but it's ok, they're basically the same event. :ughh:

Oh poo poo. :911:

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
So is Tiger gonna get a Bridgestone sponsorship?

Edit: it's legit http://news.nike.com/news/nike-focuses-golf-innovation-on-footwear-and-apparel-transitions-out-of-equipment

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Gotta love it when a cell phone camera ruins an already bad golf swing.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Aaaand he chunked a pitch.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
He's bogeying the high handicap holes.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
They keep saying he's on the first page of the leaderboard. The length of which keeps varying...

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It was the 18th hole anyway.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Remember, 2 tournaments ago, he was tied for the lead like, 36 or 54 holes in or something.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dimebag posted:

Anyone done something similar and how did it work out for them?

Not me personally. But I know a couple of guys that are members of CordeValle who play with a group at Shoreline every week (in SF Bay Area). Part of the reason is the people they're playing with. And part might be the commute. Cordevalle hosted the US Women's Open last year and the Frys.com a few times, it's in top shape and fun to play, while Shoreline is a rather gross muni.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Flog Megathread 2017: OWww my back!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dimebag posted:

Golf Megathread 2017: Tiger's Back!

Please have the apostrophe, thanks.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I'm glad your phone is halfway charged.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

I remember Nick Price doing something like that from a bunker during a skills challenge in the 90's. Then on his next try he stiffed it to 6 inches.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I loled when Trump tweeted to congratulate Daly.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Drunk driving at 3 AM is pretty safe anyway, because there's nobody to get in an accident with.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It's plausible it was a combination of exhaustion + meds that made his driving bad enough to get pulled over. But what the heck are you doing up at 3 AM recovering from a surgery?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember someone showing it to me when I was a junior but it's actually useless because launch angle is significantly different from loft, and grass conditions will change that, as will the shape of the back of your club

This was a tip by Phil Mickelson in a Golf Digest in like 1994. Launch angle is generally less than loft, but the lie angle does a pretty good job of making that adjustment for you.

And you're supposed to step on the club such that the face is parallel to the ground.

I guess it's an open question as to whether it constitutes an abnormal use of equipment in breach of rule 14-3.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Lincoln posted:

Is it that keeping the arm straight during the backswing eliminates a variable and makes your swing more consistent? Because my bad shots have been apparently random for the last two years -- thin, fat, top, chunk...I would never know which until after I swung.

Yeah, that's one thing. Also, like, imagine a figure skater pulling their body in. You don't want to rotate a mass close to your body and then move its radius farther. Also your elbow typically wouldn't give you much power anyway unless you used it at the end of your swing, which would be horrible for your elbow (snapping it like that), and of course wildly inconsistent. I think you can survive an elbow bend as long as you straighten it out early on the downswing, and use it at the start of the downswing. (I tend to unconsciously bend my elbow, and when I notice get real anal about keeping it straight, I tend to hit a lot better.)

When I first took golf lessons as a kid, the first swings of the club I took were with a bent elbow. I'd copied a lot from pros on TV and golf digests, but didn't notice keeping the left arm straight. The instructor didn't correct it at all. I could still hit the ball reasonably straight, for what it's worth. Then I got Five Lessons later that year, for Christmas, and revamped my swing in my bedroom. (The result: perfect ball contact, wild directional inconsistency, and a ruined bedroom carpet.)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Shoreline in Mountain View has one. I wouldn't say it's known for walkers, per se.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Shoreline was definitely walker-friendly. It was just the morning die-hard crowd, Saturdays and weekdays, that walked though.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Carts on a par 3 course are just sin. I don't care if it's 120 degrees out.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I did that once, my toenails shriveled up and cracked and maybe I talked about this before. Wound up wearing sneakers the last round. Maybe I should have drank more water. Or Gatorade or something.

Of course I was an out of shape fatso back then. Nowadays I feel like I can walk forever, but I can't swing as much.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The well honed technique of using gut inertia as leverage.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
No it doesn't -- what separates pros is long distance / accuracy. Tournament to tournament the winners will have better putting strokes gained stats but that's because there's a huge element of luck in whether or not your putts drop, and the intrinsic standard deviation in your putting stats is way higher than the margin of victory.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

ironlung posted:

Glad we agree.

I'm talking about what separates pros from other pros, not what separates pros from the rest of us (which is literally every aspect of the game).

And, putting doesn't separate them as much as the long game. It's hitting drives farther and straighter, hitting it closer to the hole from 210 yards out that separates the pros.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Kameh posted:

but the general idea is that the ball will initially start on the trajectory the clubhead is travelling but spin towards the direction the clubhead is facing at the moment of impact.

The ball flies mostly in the direction the clubhead is facing. Not the direction it's moving.

Imagine Curt Schilling pitching a golf ball at an inclined plane. Does the ball bounce straight back the way it came? No, it bounces to the side the wall is angled, reflecting approximately like a ray of light off a mirror would. That's the same thing as the golf club hitting a ball, only with a different frame of reference. (Hit a golf ball off the back of a moving train whose speed matches your clubhead speed.) Golf balls aren't made of some magic retro-reflectively bouncing material -- and they never were.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I don't know why, but I get the feeling he's really back this time, and will win some PGA Tour events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It might be reasonable to have groups of lengths -- the 6-9 iron are same length, wedges same length, 2-5 same length. Lofts tweaked to close distance gap.