Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Shot a pretty decent 86 today on an easy mountain course. No need to use driver with elevation. Thanks for the chipping suggestions. I have not posted much over the years but I have really enjoyed following everyone's golf adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Anyone done lessons this year? Is it worth doing if instructors keep distance? Also may have to book weeks out, I have never seen the courses in CO this full since peak Tiger mania.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Watching Bryson has been the most exciting thing for me. I love how he hits his wedges 10yrds past the hole and looks down at the club or yardage book in disbelief.

The heavy work out and math talk is over done, but I'm glad they have something else apart from his one length irons to talk about now.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I want to be disappointed in Tigers showing but maybe I need to accept he won't be in contention ever week now.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Picked up the Caddytech push cart from Costco and it is wonderful. I had been using an old 2 wheel cart from the 80's that got stuck on every divot and this has been a huge improvement. Would fully recommend.

Josh, where do you get your extra shafts from? I have been wanting to play around with a lower spin driver and 3 wood shaft, but I am skeptical about the quality of random ebay shaft pulls.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Had another great round, and really enjoying this new push cart. I started droping my hands pretty low at address and hunching over the ball and that has really helped my drives. Now that I can drive constantly I will need to work out my wedge approach game.

Thanks Josh, I figured you would be on the WRX buy/sell forum, there is some great deals that pop up there. Currently my 3wood is about an 11 year old Callaway so it does not use a tip, just glued into the head. May need to check out getting a heat gun if I want to do the shaft swaps my self.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
DJ has looked quite put together yesterday and today. So I will not be surprised when he loses be 3 shots tomorrow.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I second Josh that we needs pics.

Callaway X2 Hot 9.5*
Callaway X2 Hot 13.5*
Titliest 712 U 21* w/ 105g Xstiff shaft
Callaway 07 XForged 4-P
Nike Engage 52 & 58
Nike Method Putter

Most of my bag could use some upgrades. Curious about recommendations for recent years equipment like the G400 series, and recent irons to check out.

Unknownmass fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 31, 2020

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I'm looking at getting new irons through Sub70, and all the shaft choices have me wanting to try something new. I have played Project X 6.0 for close to 12 years and enjoyed them, but the allure of new shafts is tempting me. How risky is it to go in blind on new shafts? I have not been fitted for a decade, and was looking to not spend on one knowing I'm buying Sub70 irons.

Also the weather in CO has been really good and I have already played more Nov rounds then I can recall. Not sure how I feel about this.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Where in Colorado? I'm a west denver/lakewood/golden golfer

I live up outside of Boulder, but play most rounds in Westminster/Broomfield/Arvada.

Josh Lyman posted:

Depending on your skill level and sensitivity, I would not advise buying new iron shafts without trying them out. At the very least, go to a store and hit some shots with irons that have that shaft. I tried blindly switching from Dynamic Gold to Project X a few years back and it was awful.

BCRock posted:

Echoing Josh's comments - don't do this.

DJExile posted:

Thirding. 100% do not try out new shafts blind.

Thank you for letting me know how bad a choice this would be. Will be going with the ole tried and true.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I'm not going to say that this thread has ruined my off season golf plans but now I don't know what to do. I went in for an iron fitting at the PGA Tour Super store. Pretty quickly found a good shaft for me, the KBS tour 130X. Most the 130 shafts felt good and was a lot more constant then my current shafts. I was on the fence of getting new iron heads as my current Callaway's are old and have old loft numbers, but I don't have much of an issue with distance and the older lofts help as I have a high launch angle. I started testing some new iron heads to see what they were like. Side note the Ping Blueprints might be one of the best heads I have seen. I don't quite have the skill to play them but I was very tempted.

While testing around I asked about one length and tried the one length 7 iron. Best numbers I had hit all day. This just got interesting as I have always been curious about one length as I am taller (6'3) and always have trouble staying down on my short irons. So took a few swings with the one length 5 iron, and wow did it feel nice. I'm not sure how the distance compares (avg 225 yards), but it felt nice and was easy to hit. We were running out of time so I hit a few one length 9 iron shots. Couldn't quite get the feel but the fitter said the short irons take a while to re-train your brain and not something that a few shots would do. So now I don't know what to do. I know there was a goon that played around with one length clubs a few years ago, but I don't remember who it was.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
This is definite not something I would jump right into despite how impulsive I can be. They just felt nice to hit, but it was only a few shots on a simulator. I'm just curious if this would be a route to explore. While getting fit I tried a few 9 and W samples and the +1/2" that was fit for 7 and 5 iron was not enough as I was still topping the ball consistently. I am mostly curious about lengthening 8-9-PW, but I don't know what length is possible or makes sense for these clubs.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Please let me know how the hybrid goes. I picked up the 5-pw set of the Sub70 699 Pro. Have not had a chance to try them yet but pretty excited.

Torgeaux, what courses have been open for you? Tried quite a few but most have been closed further north by me.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Is the tour even testing for roids? I have heard from a lot of reporters they stopped testing equipment as well.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I feel you, I have been trying to tee off as late in the evening as possible and race to finish 9. We started at 6:45pm and it was still 88 a few days ago.

I got signed up to play in a multi-day member guest tournament with a friend. They required me to get an official handicap and I entered the wrong dates on a few past scores and I can't edit them. I have to call the club and have them change it from what the website says. Should I bother? Do the dates on past rounds matter?

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Just had one of my worst 9 holes of the year. Started off 1 over through 5 and proceeded to double the last 4 holes. The course got backed up and I just lost my game. Sucks to think through each shot I flubbed. So I bought a 19* Callaway UWood. Very curious to try it as there have been a lot of great reviews and I have not had a 5wood or a hybrid in the bag for over 10 years.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Earlier this week, played 9 holes, as I described. I'm not a 9 hole guy, it feels incomplete. But, I book as a single, and that's the way courses are. Got it.

9:40 tee time. Called ahead that morning, anything earlier? No. Showed up, 9:10, anything earlier? No. Hit balls, went to starter at 9:30. He says I'm part of a 4 ball, good. A single tees off on #1, a single tees off on #10. I ask the starter if those are singles, yes. I wait. 3 guys show up to check in at 9:38, but stand around chatting. I walk to starter, hear him tell them, "well, there's no one on 10, so you can go now. I interrupt, and tell him my name again, teeing off on #10. He says I should wait while he calls my group. He does. I stare at him, it's 9:40. He finally says, Ok, you can tee off now. I catch up to the single in front of me on 13, we play out together.

I check for tee times on Friday, starting Tuesday night. For a single, first tee time is 1010, or 940 for back 9. Check their affiliate course, tee times at 8, 810, 820, 830, 840, 850, 900, 910 and 920 are open, so they won't book a single. Check on Wednesday. Same times. Thursday, same. Called the booking number to see if they can book a single, no, they use the same computer booker we do. Puts me through to the pro shop. After checking with the head pro, he says he'll allow me to book a time as a single since the first 9 tee times are open.

Why don't courses realize that if they release a few early times to singles when they're open, that they'll fill quickly? By the time I show up tomorrow, I bet it will be 4 singles playing together who have been waiting for a tee time to be available to them.

I have the same issues constantly when trying to book as a single. Some of the course websites don't even have an option to book single.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for all the posts I went ahead and got 9 holes on the books next week. Going to be great to blame my terrible swings on being tight due to the cold.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I am really enjoying the match play today. I understand why it's so rare for tv tournaments, but it's really nice to only watch a couple guys and see the full holes.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Any time we want a goon match, I can probably make arrangements to be free.

Nice there is three of us then. I live north, closer to Boulder but mostly play Willis Case and City Park as they are nice and cheap.

My bags is a mess and will continue to be:

Driver - Callaway X2Hot 10* with some generic xstiff
3 wood - Callaway X2Hot 13.5*
Hybrid - Callaway Apex Uwood 19*
3 iron - Titleist 712u 21* with a xstiff hybrid staff
5-PW - Sub70 799 Pros with KBS 130s
52* - Nike Engage
54* - Haywood Golf
58* - Nike Engage
Putter - Nike Method

I have as much fun tinkering with my bag as I do playing golf these days

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I have the $150 caddytek from Costco and have no complaints at all.

Have been using the same one for several years now and I have not had a single issue with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

The only two premier courses I’ve played are Bethpage Black (as a NY resident) and Torrey (with a SD County resident) so both rounds were under $100. Seeing some destination courses over $600 per round now is just crazy. I’m sure there’s no shortage of people willing to pay though.

This is a great post as I'm in Charleston for a bachelor party and a couple guys dropped $600+ caddie tip to play the Kiawah Ocean course.