Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
True Linkswear is running a buy one get one on any two pairs of shoes until 2/28 (~30 hrs) with code: freepairfeb.

I know they don't work for everyone, but I love mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huskers
May 9, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

What are the gambling odds of him winning?

Looks like something in the 40-50 / 1 range. Dunno if that's been updated since he's officially playing now.

I think it's going to be a disaster. I know he's Tiger F'ing Woods, but guy with short game woes (especially chipping), teeing it up without playing much/at all, at Augusta with the tightest lies and most punishing greens... yeah this could be embarrassing. He has to come back -somewhere-, and you know he's major hunting, but if this goes badly who knows what it does to him mentally.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Probably isn't necessary since I still have 2 dozen balls, but I just ordered 8 dozen of 4A (out of 5) TaylorMade Lethals from GolfBallsDirect for $56 including shipping (last year's Tour Preferred X).

The regular price is down to $7.88/dozen, plus there's a 20% off coupon (NEW20) and shipping is $6 flat. I was going to just go with 4 dozen, but this kind of deal comes around once/year maybe; I was also tempted to go balls out and order like 16 dozen since that would get me to free shipping over $99.

Thanks for the heads up. I won a box of Lethals last year and liked them well enough. I'm not exactly low on balls either, but 7 Dozen for $51 is a hell of a deal.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Hah yeah, saw it live.

Adam Scott might be my favorite swing to watch when it's going well (Ernie and Freddie would be up there too) and he seems to be putting fine with the shorter putter. Hope he keeps playing well--should be an exciting season with Spieth, Day, Rory and then maybe Dustin, Adam, Rickie, Bubba, etc. Lots of good golfers playing well these days, should be fun.

Played my first round of the season on Thurs. Just at a local place, short but tight, terrible conditions--really soggy almost casual water all over, but the greens were in decent shape. I was a little rusty 150 in, but drove the ball beautifully, only missed one fairway. Finished even on the front and one over on the back. 3 birdies, 4 bogeys. Can't complain overall, it was great to just get out and play.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Kameh posted:

Well, I just had the round of my life on maybe the SHITTIEST greens I've ever played. I give up.

I haven't played this course in 3 years, and I've played it a lot before then. Logged probably 100 rounds there. The greens have never been good, but they were even worse today. To shoot my best score (by quite a few strokes) and putt lights out on terrible greens is affecting me in a way I can't explain.

It'd be one thing to shoot my best round (quite possibly for the rest of my life) on greens that were smooth: a good stroke and good read leaves you with a birdie. Here, it's just... luck.

Great round man.

Played my 3rd round of the year today. Played with some cool people, but the greens were a few days into being aerated, so that wasn't great. Drove the ball well, hit some great iron shots--game seems to be rounding into form nicely.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Kameh posted:

So I officially have 2 full bags, and I'm keeping the older set at my parents' house so I don't have to drag my clubs back in forth if I play down there.

BUT WHAT IF I LOVE MY BACKUP BAG EVEN MORE?!

I do the exact same thing. I bought a backup set off golfwrx or ebay a few years ago, so I have 2 identical sets of 690 MBs and I keep one at my parent's house. Sometimes I swear I hit one set sweeter than the other even though the shafts lofts and lies are all identical, it can be a little maddening. Or I'll hit my old driver setup and wonder why I switched. Saves a lot of hassle though, and I always play a round or two with my dad when I visit.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

BCRock posted:

A little over two months ago I started a new job that happens to be in the golf industry. The place in LA that I started taking lessons at a few years ago has been blowing up and it went from one guy in a little bay by himself inside of a fitness facility to him moving into his own space with 3 teaching bays, a gym, and a club fitting/building department.

I've been fairly close with the owner/founder since he started (I was like his 5th client) and he just brought me on as their GM since they need business people to actually help them expand at this point. The job's all good and cool and everything, but the point of this story here is that I now have access to a bunch of awesome golf poo poo and it's pretty rad.

My office is in a separate location that was only housing the club building shop and storage space with offices above it, but we just finished turning the warehouse space into a ridiculous $150K hitting bay that we're using to demo our custom simulator installs and for club fittings for VIPs. That means I get to walk downstairs and hit balls on a Trackman with a Swing Catalyst 3D motion plate in the ground whenever I feel like it. I'm sure you guys all know what Trackman is, but Swing Catalyst is a balance and force plate in the ground that measures weight transfer, ground force, and a shitload of other things during the swing and maps it through software that syncs up with the video cameras and Trackman data. We're actually the only place in the US currently with their 3-D balance plate, so their plan is to send a bunch of tour pros to our facility to capture their data.

On top of that I now have two Golf Digest Top 100 club fitters at my disposal, as well as elite level golf coaches and golf fitness trainers. I haven't done it yet, but part of my deal is that I get whatever new equipment I want for free whenever I need it, so I'm going through the whole fitting process next week to replace everything in my bag. We carry all of the major brands plus Miura, PXG, Edel, Bettinardi, Tour Edge, Fourteen, Gauge, and a bunch of other boutique stuff.

It's pretty sweet having all of my golf expenses wiped out since it's all work related now and comped. I just need to keep the company from going bankrupt and this could be a nice long term gig.

I had some time the other day to mess around and went through the Trackman combine, which is an awesome way to practice. You get 3 shots at 10 different targets in order - 60y, 70y, 80y, 90y, 100y, 120y, 160y, 180y, and Driver. Then you go through and do it again from the beginning another 3 times each. You get a score for every shot based on distance from the pin (and carry/total distance/straightness for the driver). When you're done it puts everything in a nice report and uploads your results to their website where they track everything on a global leaderboard.

Overall Results

I was on fire on the 120y target

And for the life of me I cannot hit a stupid driver well indoors. I lose 5+mph club head speed and hit wildly offline shots every goddamn time I try to hit the driver inside, even though I have no issues at all with any other club. I don't feel cramped, but something in my brain is telling me that I'm going to hit the wall that's 10 feet away from me in my backswing and I tense up.

Anyway, EnsGDT, you should come check us out since you're in LA - www.ugp.la is the website.

Congrats, sounds like a great gig. Hope everything works out for you guys, I wish there were more places like this.

I do the same thing with my Driver--indoor or outdoor driving range bays doesn't matter, cramped or not--it just doesn't feel right.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
I tuned in to see Sahalee because my aunt and uncle used to live around that neighborhood but Ko and Henderson are playing some great golf at the women's PGA. Should be a good playoff.

Huskers fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 13, 2016

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

"Texas wedge" is a colloquialism for a putter because it's apparently so windy in Texas that you're better off putting from off the green than chipping, except it's not actually that windy in Texas.

The cake is a lie.

Texas is big. I grew up in Lubbock TX--west Texas as Kameh pointed out. The wind is -not- a lie. Made me a good ball striker though, if you can't control your trajectory around there, you're not going to have fun.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

mattfl posted:

I'm not sure a pro would be playing last years balls.

I heard a funny story a few years ago about Chris Dimarco really loving the feel/his numbers of the original ProV1's (the 392s) so much that he was buying boxes of them off ebay and asking/begging other pros for old boxes and sleeves. Golfers are funny that way.

Thanks for the tip on the 4k app, I'll have to try that out.

Can't believe it's almost Masters week already.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Kameh posted:

I think the fitted dark green baseball hat with just the masters logo on it is super clean, but I can't justify getting one until I actually attend the Masters.

Agree. I've wanted one for years and I've known people who have gone, but it doesn't feel quite right until you can buy one yourself.

e: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-August...%3D122428859702

Huskers
May 9, 2009

mattfl posted:

Course is dead, playing 2 balls, what's another 36 today!

Edit: and of course I'm hitting loving shots no one will believe me about lol

Super jealous. First nice weekend of the year here and I'm stuck doing family stuff.
Oh well, at least the golf season is finally here.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

mattfl posted:

Speaking of wedges and whatnot, I think I need to tighten up the gaps in mine. Currently I'm playing the following

P - 44* - 145ish 150 if I step on it
A - 49* - 130 or so
56* - 100-110
60* - everything else

That gap between 130 and 110 is what bothers me. Thinking about throwing a 52* wedge in there and carrying 4 wedges. Anyone else play a similar setup?
D, 17* 3(4)W, 3i-PW
P 48* 135-140
54* 115-120
58* 95-100
62* 80-85

I used to play 52,56,60 but the 52 distance was just too close to the PW, I ended up never using it. Love the 62 now for some touch shots around the greens too.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

So speaking of Si Woo Kim, what ever happened to Anthony Kim? He was all the rage for awhile, he had like his own posse or something didn't he? I can't remember what happened to him.

I think the rumor is that he had a huge injury insurance policy--and he couldn't or didn't want to get over his wrist (or ankle?) injuries and just cashed it out. Could be BS though, who knows.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
Wow I saw a little blurb on the accident, didn't realize it was that serious. Geez

Huskers
May 9, 2009

My course growing up had these Mississippi Kites that were extremely aggressive while nesting for a few months. I got buzzed more than a few times. It's a really lovely feeling having something cuff or claw your hat with no warning. It makes you really jumpy afterwards too. They would just swoop down though, they didn't chase like that goose.
They always left the carts alone, but were a nuisance to any walkers.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Just got my first ace! 176 yards slightly downwind, high draw 8 iron that landed pin high and spun left into the cup. Wish it happened in the club championship but thrilled I got one and also that it didn’t come with a massive bar bill.

Congrats!

Still chasing my first.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

DJExile posted:

I'm going to scotland again this Sunday. do I do more photodumps or are yall gonna kill me for it

Dump away, imo

Huskers
May 9, 2009
I‘ve used Golfshot for 10+ years and never had reason to look at any other apps. Added a laser ~5 years ago for pins, and it is a perfect combination. Now I mostly use Golfshot for odd distances to traps, hazards, blind shots, etc, and for tracking scorecards because I don’t always carry an official number every year anymore.
I will say that adding a laser really helped me with consistently dialing in distances, more than I ever would have guessed.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Awsome...sunny skies, mid-50's, perfect day for g ohhhhh no

Looks like a normal West Texas weekend.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
I haven't made any updates to my bag in a while, there's probably a pic in the archives or something.

Titleist 913D3 8.5* Tour AD BB7X
Titleist 913FD 15* Tour AD BB8X
TM RBZ Hybrid 18.5* Aldila RIPX
Titleist 690MB (3)4-PW ProjectX 6.5
Vokey 52F, (54M), 58M, 62T
Scotty Pro Plat Newport 2

All standard L/L/L

I change the wedges or hybrid/3 iron depending on where I'm playing.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
Ping used to have similar balls, but mostly as putting aids. Apparently some of the rare color combos are pretty valuable to collectors, who knew.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

How do you guys overcome mental blocks when stepping up to the ball?

I played 36 holes this weekend with a friend who is much much better than me (around 8-10 handicap, as of this post my estimated handicap is 36.3 in the app I use.) during the round he noted to me that my practice swings are all textbook perfect but then I step up to the ball and it all falls apart. This is especially true on holes that have a hazard you have to shoot over.

After he said this, I started to take note of my practice swing on the next hole that had a water hazard and did 3 practice swings one step away from the ball with a 7 iron. Every practice swing felt good, I took a small divot just in front of the ball, I felt a good rotation in my hips, and my back foot come up. My friend recorded it and all 3 practice swings looked the same. I then took one step forward and lined up to the ball and tried to do the same thing. Every single shot I struck it poorly and hit the ground before the ball, or topped it, and they all shanked to the right.

In the videos he took of my practice and real swing there is a night and day difference, so there seems to be something to this psychological effect of standing over a ball.

I've got a bunch of lessons coming up and it's something I'm going to bring up with the instructor, just wondering if you guys had any tips.

This is difficult to do and more on the sports psychology side of things, but visualizing your shot and focusing on a target will help you more than any routine or practice swing.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
Golfshot is another thread favorite. Apparently I’ve been using it for 12 years, according to my first scorecard.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Kameh posted:

I'm playing Torrey Pines next week (North on Sunday, South on Tuesday.

Long shot here, but does anybody have local (inside of an hour) course recommendations for a round Monday? I'm staying in Irvine. Bonus if anybody knows of a lighted par 3 course. They're pitifully absent in Texas.

Both are slightly over an hour from Irvine, but I played Maderas and The Crossings at Carlsbad on a trip last summer and enjoyed both.

Can't help with the Par 3.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Kameh posted:

Is it public?

Edit: $279 on the weekend, lmfao. I think I'm paying less for one of the Torrey rounds. I'll probably pass.

Oof, yeah. It's semi-private, and very nice, but I don't remember paying that much last year, maybe ~150ish. May have been off-peak times though.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Understand the JT pick, but not sure I agree with it. Hope he can find it for the week. I think Keegan, Young or even Glover would have made more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Anno posted:

It really sucks. Like I get someone wanting to take a bag that's reportedly like $600m - especially if he might just "come back" if this merger goes through - but for someone who had some pretty high minded comments and generally seems pretty thoughtful it just blows. I'd like to hear his comments on this because I have to imagine the events in June really changed his thinking on this or something (or he's a really good liar).

Everyone has a price