Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

God drat, Tiger is 8 over through 9 holes. I hope he stays healthy long enough to get his game under control. Golf Channel's Tiger Tracker twitter account reads like a horror story today.

Not watching today, but yesterday he was chipping like me. I think three months from now he'll look a lot better, unlike last time around when he actually looked like he was going to spontaneously dismember at any moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Seymour Butts posted:

He is obviously over-thinking his entire approach when it comes to chipping and pitching. He reminds me of Chuck Knoblauch, former Yankees second baseman, that inexplicably forgot how to throw to first base. It is really strange and sad :(

drat, I kept coming back to Knoblauch when thinking about this. It's amazing how world-class athletes that have been performing a task at an elite level for literally 95% of their life can suddenly become completely unable to do it.

I think it's worse in golf because the ball just sits there taunting you and everything is very quiet while everyone waits for you to gently caress the monkey again.

Edit: Knoblauch is a good comparison, because he could jump up and make the throw to first if he had fielded a grounder running to his right, for example. But when he had a short throw from a standstill and no pressure to hurry, he would heave it into the stands. As a fellow human being it's kind of disconcerting.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 30, 2015

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kameh posted:

They explained his chunked chips the last time he played in a tournament (Hero World Challenge?). In trying to ingrain his swing changes, it's trickled down to his chipping motion, and it's very easy to chunk the ball at this stage. He'll work through it, but it is definitely disturbing to see.

Muscle memory is a bitch. You just know Tiger is seething, especially because his short game has always been so immaculate. I would already have snapped my wedge and chucked the pieces into the lake.

On the positive side, he was lag-putting really well yesterday -- which is good because his chips were leaving him with 70-footers for birdie or par!

Edit: Maybe he actually ought to break a club. Just needs to do something to bust himself out of whatever mental shitstorm he's in.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Doyzer posted:

Tiger has a lot work ahead of him before the Masters. I don't think his pride will let him chip/pitch like that at Augusta.

I like to imagine him having set some insane goal for himself, like hitting one million practice chips over the next month or something. Not sleeping or eating, just chipping.

And then he breaks his leg on the very last one, since someone is obviously voodooing him these last few years.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

daslog posted:

566: Days since Woods completed an official Tour event under par

:dogbutton:

I dunno what the odds actually are at the books right now, but I do know that I just plunked down $3.50 in my SportsBetting app on "Tiger to win" and I stand to win $85 & change. So maybe somewhere just south of 25:1?

(Don't you judge me. It was left over from the free five bucks they gave me for the Final Four weekend.)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kameh posted:

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/04/what-yips-tiger-woods-arrives.html

Fake it 'til you feel it? Either way, I cannot wait. I'm taking off Wednesday and Friday. I'll be playing 36 Wednesday and then watching the Par 3 on DVR when I get home. Friday, I'll try to play in the morning unless the rain comes in. If so, I'll just plop down on the couch with a 12 pack.

I Want To Believe

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

His short game is ridiculous. If he's even passable off the tee he'll compete in majors this year.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tiger from 44 feet!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

daslog posted:

Wow Patrick.

Yeah that was deeply uncomfortable to watch.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

daslog posted:

My friends and I have a rule that you pick up at double par. Works pretty well and keeps one hole from totally ruining your day

I basically just focus on "did I play something recognizable as golf for more than half the holes". This is a very effective way to keep pressure low.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Internet Savant posted:

While I rarely play alone, if I have time (no one behind our group) , I'll hit two balls whenever I can.

I once had someone tell me a solid golf shot for non-scratch golfers is two out of the following three: straight, correct distance, on target.

Some of my most beautiful golf shots have been only one of these. I remember hitting a towering 3-wood 200 yards, straight as an arrow and about 45 degrees to the left of the green that was only 150 yards away. Didn't even chase the ball because I think it went across the street and into somebody's pasture.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

My best "on targets" are always screaming worm-burners that roll a hundred yards and sneak right up onto the green

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Omne posted:

Had my first range session with the R10 this morning, and holy poo poo is that thing cool. It pointed out the obvious: I'm a terrible golfer. But getting the instant feedback and metrics was sweet, even though my average drive was only 187 yards and equally split between 20+ feet right and 20+ feet left.

ETA: Also, I cannot hit my 5 iron for the life of me. I either top it or chunk it, there's virtually no in between.

What's your white whale club, the one you can never seem to hit?

I've never hit a 3-iron properly in my life. Might as well not even have the drat thing, I just leave it in the bag and it mocks me.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

No poo poo.

I just watched my buddy finish bogey, bogey, bogey to shoot 80... he's never broken 80.

gently caress, that might've gotten me to toss a club

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Capco posted:

Are they playing at witch hollow or ghost creek? Ghost creek was super fun despite being a huge mud puddle when I went there.

If I'm playing at a place called Ghost Creek, I basically expect it to be a swamp and possibly haunted by the ghosts of bogeys past

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Capco posted:

That's basically the theme how it felt playing there. It makes me want to open a death metal/Halloween theme golf club. I may or may not already have a name and have drawn some rough logos in my spare time.

I'll start building the website

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tiger looks good through five at even par. Just had a dumbass par save on 5, out of the deep rough on the side of a hill, the ball was two feet above his shoes

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Seven yards off the green from 40 feet, putts it to within two inches.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Justin Thomas just hit a tee shot and then very loudly and clearly said "JESUS CHRIST"

Announcer says, "he hates it"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tiger out of a fairway bunker to within eight feet for a birdie at the 7th

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

McIlroy just threw his club on the afterswing in disgust

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tiger finally finds the fairway on the 8th. Rory is somewhere in Africa

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Anno posted:

Swing looks nice and he doesn’t seem to be in too much visible pain. Just looks rusty af for obvious reasons. I hope he plays at least once more before Augusta.

This course seems loving ridiculous

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tiger drops his second shot within a few feet with a big backspin. Birdie putt to move into the top ten.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Anno posted:

Riv’s no joke. One of the best courses on tour but also on the harder side.

There are hardly any hazards but I'd still shoot 110

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tiger birdies the 8th, moves to -1

Homa is in the clubhouse at -7 but the scores will keep trailing off after that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tiger is putting better than he has in many years. Just put a 23-footer within an inch

Great watch so far

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tiger is even through 11 holes (still -2 overall) but he can't make a putt to save his life. He's left at least three, maybe four strokes out there.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Woof. I had Tiger to make the cut at +300

Just couldn't putt at all today

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mattfl posted:

They just said the cut moved to +1, there’s hope for Tiger to play this weekend yet.

Just a couple guys need to drop a stroke for it to stay +1, c'mon baby

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

As it becomes more clear through lawsuit discovery, etc. that the PIF is the owning and controlling entity and Greg Norman and all the management structure is just a sham, they'll keep taking the blows. It's hard to say where things go from here.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fooled around at the range yesterday, first time in a couple years I've picked up the clubs.

First shot was pure of heart and straight as an arrow, and I did not hit a single ball afterwards that even rose to the level of mediocre. Now how the gently caress can that be?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I would honestly love a series where each episode, a different guy in the Tour top ten gets taken out to a local muni course and we follow them around for 18 so they can curse at the hosed-up grounds and shoot a way higher score than you'd expect.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I see you have played my local muni 9hole, and I look forward to seeing tournaments hosted there. I think the occasional car driving by and honking in your backswing on the 9th tee will add to the tournament atmosphere.

One time I hit a cow in the pasture across the street. Now that's a competitive atmosphere the Saudis can't buy

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

wyoak posted:

There was a cool Golf Digest story about Bubba Watson playing a standard muni, he shot a 62 and it sounded like he wasn’t really on

Tour pros are basically putting or chipping for eagle on every hole that isn't a par-3, right?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Now that's what I'm talking about. Bury a ball halfway down into the mud in a swamp right next to the green, see how those SOBs deal with life in the real world

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Chromatics posted:

In the WGC match play I'm laughing at these guys going for the green on a 310 yard par 4 that has a spectator stand placed like a backboard in basketball. They are just bouncing off that thing onto the green lol.

More courses should try this sort of thing. Maybe put a big trampoline 50 yards off the green. Put up a mega-giant funnel on the top of the TV tower so that it rolls the ball close to the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

xsf421 posted:

No Laying Up did an interesting interview with Billy Horschel in their valspar recap podcast about rolling back the ball. Horschel said he'd rather restore the punishment for mis-hits. Make drivers sweet spot smaller and heads less forgiving overall. The people who can consistently hit the middle can continue to bomb it 340, but as soon as they miss the middle, it's 80 yards offline and probably lost.

Are those things currently regulated for tour drivers?