Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I seem to remember world renowned physicist and all around genius bryson dechambeau dropping out of college during his senior year... did he even finish his undergrad degree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

So next year, the person leading in the FedEx Cup Playoffs will start the tour championship at -10, and the rest of the field will start between -8 and 0 depending on their standings, and whoever ends up winning the tournament will also win the playoffs. I honestly thought this was satire when someone posted a summary on golfwrx lol. Playoffs are a joke now (see Koepka’s position) and will still be stupid next season it looks like.

lol

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I have a buddy who is a 2-3 handicap and he was shooting high 80s/low 90s consistently for a while earlier this summer, including our men's league tournament.

One night we went out after work with some beers and didn't keep score, just screwed around, bullshitted a ton in between shots and had a great time. Surprise, he was flushing everything and played great and now everything is back to normal. If you get too mechanical, have too many swing thoughts, or start thinking about your score too much, it's usually not good.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

When did the US golfers start sucking so bad?

They always suck in Ryder Cups across the pond. Also I'm pretty sure the Ryder Cup team w/the current Masters champ has never won.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Yeah. Pretty bad considering Finau is the only Captain's pick who won a point, but it's hard to argue against any of Furyk's picks other than Mickelson who has been terrible lately.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

DJExile posted:

it really is

and for all the times it frustrates the hell out of you, it's all worth it for that one time you get a straight away par 5 with a huge wind at your back and can just send it a drat mile

favorite golf shot i ever hit was a pured 3h off the deck at high altitude with a massive tail wind. lasered the flag at 271 and the ball ended up on the back fringe. 291 yard 3 hybrid lol, for me that would be a great drive even at altitude.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

RideTheSpiral posted:

it’s obviously just someone loving around but hell he hit that pretty well

was gonna say, sounded pure

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

You're in CO right? What course?

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

South Suburban in Centennial.

Yup, should have guessed

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

https://twitter.com/ForePlayPod/status/1128830236160925697

Evidently I like Bryson DeChambeau now

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

daslog posted:

They actually don't teach Phil's method anymore from what I have been told by instructors.. It's been judged to be too difficult to execute unless you hit a million chips a day.

Phil doesn't even use it on most of his shots around the green

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Three nine hole rounds is a tiny sample size. There's a reason your official handicap takes the 10 best scores from your 20 most recent 18 hole rounds.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Agent355 posted:

How are you supposed to get serious time in on putting practice? I can go to a driving range and hit a bucket of balls with whatever club I like and spend a good 60 minutes trying to find a rythm, but I imagine the local clubs wouldn't much appreciate if I just drove down and spent 90 minutes putting around the practice green before going home.

Most places will not care or even notice if you do this, also helps if you play there and/or use the range regularly.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

Finished bogey, eagle, bogey to miss a 59. Granted it would have been a Canadian 59 so it’s really like a 63.

That Canuckistan exchange rate will get you every time

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

AndrewP posted:

it's hard to believe a grip change and posture change would do so much.

Fundamentals are really important sir. Tour pros regularly work on grip, stance, posture, alignment, and tempo.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Me shooting 10 strokes over my handicap in our men's league opening tournament... a tradition unlike any other.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

If I tried to fire my hips like that I would wipe it off the planet

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

So keeping score (the entire point of the game of golf) is overrated and meaningless. Unless you want to improve, then it's very important.

Ok then.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

DeChambeau — who finished tied for 35th at one over par — averaged 63.3 second between shots (not including tap-ins). This laborious pace dropped to a glacial 93.3 seconds when he was hitting first in his group.

I heard he was slow but wow

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Big Beef City posted:

Just the standard "bob'n'weave before time warping into a finished 'bump and run' kind of position while simultaneously inside-out bull-whipping the club head through from an 80% backswing at full throttle. The us' "

Yeah and when he goes after it his clubhead speed with driver is like 135mph or something. And it appears to be repeatable given his success. Pretty amazing.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Match play tournament is going on at my club right now, I had the pleasure of going up against a 17 handicap who shot 77.

I had to give him strokes and I have never broken 80 in my life. Good times!!!

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

A real 17, or a "17"? Unlikely, I think. I don't think the handicap system would accept a 77 from a 17 handicapper, would it?

http://www.popeofslope.com/magazine/howtodetect.html

"17" for sure.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I loved it. Everyone else is out on the range 2.5 hours before their tee time with the trainer, swing consultant, nutritionist, and life coach. BK strolls in 30 minutes before his tee time and throws up a casual 65 to win by 3. Yawn.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Anno posted:

I think Randy has the highest handicap. Neil is just amazingly streaky in both directions.

I think Neil and Randy switch back and forth between highest handicap of the group. Soly is the best (by far), then Tron/DJ, then Neil/Randy.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Oh drat, my info is dated. I thought Neil was still hovering around 10.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

AndrewP posted:

I may suck, but I can fly around the course as a single if nobody’s in my way. Ended up quitting early yesterday because I couldn’t deal with sitting at the tee box for 10 minutes every single hole.

Are these two independent statements or are you complaining about having to wait playing as a single on a Saturday?

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Hockey, right. Golf right. Go with the side where you do comparable things, and that's the only one you mentioned that is directly comparable. Since you have righty set available, and they're generally more available, do that.

Seconding this. I have played golf with some really good hockey players, they all hit the poo poo out of the ball.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

My two buddies and I got paired up with Ester yesterday. ~75 year old beginner, she could slap it out there about 60 yards with her driver. Ester and the three of us were waiting on a twosome of middle aged dudes all day until the 13th hole when a marshal finally showed up and moved them into position. Then we had the distinct pleasure of having everyone else who saw us after that point assume we were the slow group causing the logjam since there was now nobody in front of us and a 75 year old lady in our group. We caught the twosome again on 17, easily the slowest players I have ever seen in the wild.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

My buddy and I play out every hole, he's a good golfer but has never broken 80(it's mostly mental), but he loses more strokes with three foot putts than he does anywhere else on the course. That 79 is on his shoulder like an anchor. I've been with him when he's shot 80, 81 with bogey bogey finishes or worse.

Your buddy and I are the same. Worst one was when I just needed to play bogey golf on the last three holes and played them 4 over with a double on 18. I had a 5ft downhill slider for par and a 78 for the round. It lipped out hard and then I missed the bogey (which, after lipping out, was longer than the par putt). Three putt from 5 feet to choke it away...

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

daslog posted:

Have a link to a video? I did a Google search and all I found was a couple of really low quality videos with so much wind noise I couldn't hear what's going on

Tons of videos out there on how to use the bounce. Boils down to this:

Slightly open stance
Slightly open club face
Ball position middle or slightly back in your stance
Weight a bit forward but more evenly distributed
Nice firm stroke, accelerate through the ball (important on all short game shots)

This guy does a good job demonstrating the thud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0NELsh54C4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Wife gone, kid down for afternoon nap, beer poured, ready to watch some golf for a couple hours... rain delay. God drat it.