Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

mattfl posted:

You know, I really shouldn't/can't complain about being able to golf right now, but the "winter" rates that courses are charging right now are outrageous. Courses that I can play April-November for $15-25 are upwards of $50-70 right now. Stupid snowbirds!

Hi fellow Florida buddy. I've been relegated to driving range and putting green rat :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

mattfl posted:

+12 through 13 now, holy christ wtf is wrong. Looks like he has forgotten howto chip/pitch completely.

He is obviously over-thinking his entire approach when it comes to chipping and pitching. He reminds me of Chuck Knoblauch, former Yankees second baseman, that inexplicably forgot how to throw to first base. It is really strange and sad :(

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Was at the range today and I look to my right and Scottie Pippen was hitting balls. Apparently he is part owner of the golf course I practice at. Anyway, I haven't hit balls in two weeks, but I've been working on some stuff in my house. Mainly, the fundamentals which I almost obsess over. Signed up for small package of lessons from the best instructor I've encountered so far. $180 for 3 half hour lessons and a playing lesson. First one is on Sunday, so I'll make sure I get a few videos that I'll post here to see what you all think. I know there are some really good golfers here and I'm always interested in a second opinion.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
John Daly shoots a 65 at Pebble Beach today. Let's go, John!!

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
What did you get??

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
standard? I've been thinking about putting on new grips and adding a couple extra wraps under them so they are just smaller than mid-size. I also want to cut about 1-1.25 inches of length from my 3-wood. I usually just choke down, but if cutting it down is going to effect the shaft too much, maybe I'll just put 2 extra wraps on the top of the grip and 3 on the bottom. It's the default rocketfuel 60 gram stiff shaft that comes with the RBZ Stage 2, if anyone knows more about torque, kickpoint, etc and how that all works.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Does anyone have any thoughts about golf instructors, namely Jimmy Ballard? I know he was extremely popular in the 80's, but he was Curtis Strange's swing coach when he won back to back U.S Opens and Rocco Mediate in the mid 2000's when he made a run at Tiger. I have a new golf coach that I've been seeing for the past two weeks and after doing some research on him (after the fact) I found out that he is a Ballard "disciple". Ballard was his mentor and I have been working on things like keeping my arms "connected" and hitting half shots, wider stance, quiet wrists and hands, level hips through impact, and things of that nature. I have been hitting the ball more consistently and I will continue to do what works. Anyway, I've been doing some reading online and have seen that Ballard gets a lot of hate and I was just wondering if any of you have any opinions.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
After two weeks of lessons, and 4-5 days of practicing a week I have dropped a staggering 15 strokes. It's loving insane and I don't think I've been happier since I fell in love when I was 17. My last round was two weeks ago and I shot a 94. I've been working really hard and pureing shots with every club on the range for the past four days, so I decided to squeeze a round in on Wednesday. It was unusually cold (50's) and extremely windy. I'm talking about 20 mph with 30 mph gusts. I told myself that if I broke 90 it would be a good round. Anyway, I'll spare you the details, but I shot 80. My best round ever in the worst conditions I've ever played. I didn't fat or thin one iron and I only missed a handful of fairways. I short sided myself on about half a dozen holes which made up and downs nearly impossible since I don't practice flop shots very often. I could not be happier and I would kiss my new golf instructor if I wasn't afraid it would cross the line between student and teacher. I'm so loving psyched I can't even explain it. Before I saw this guy I didn't even have a reliable pre-shot routine, it would differ between every shot because I had no idea what I was trying to accomplish. Now, I'm using one of the drills I learned before every shot and I find myself with a consistent pre-shot routine that is unique to my swing and thoughtful of what I'm trying to do. I'm stoked to practice even more and hopefully within the year I will be scoring in the 70's from the tips. Right now, I'm playing from the whites, which is the member's tees. Anyway, hope all of you are getting better and having a great time!

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Speaking of PGA teaching pro's ability test, have any of you ever thought about becoming one? The past 6 months I've begun to think that it would be a dream job to be a teaching pro at a nice golf club. Hanging out on the range all day, giving lessons for $100/hr. Is this a viable career?

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Promising start :)

Even though you didn't score well, it sounds like it's going to be a good year

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Haha, those are ugly as poo poo. They are Dolphins colors though....

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
If you are like me and you secretly enjoy watching The Big Break then tomorrow is the first round of the Valspar Championship where last season's winner Jimmy Brandt earned exemption. I'm curious to see if he'll break 80 although I wouldn't bet on it.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I can't imagine that new irons will noticeably improve your game. Spend that money on some lessons. Speak to a few different PGA professionals to see if you click with any. I took lessons from 3 different people before I found one that I liked.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Halo14 posted:

Hybrids have never really done it for me. Currently I have a 3 wood and no hybrids. I use the 3 wood maybe once every 5 rounds. I guess I'm just suited to irons. The Taylor Made RSi 2 iron is the best club I've bought in a while. I can hit it ~220meters with ease but importantly I'm comfortable with it off the tee.

Currently I have Driver, 3W 2i, 3i, 5i through to PW and then a set of refurb Vokey 52-56-60.

Strongly considering ditching the 3W and getting a 4 iron :)

Then ditch the driver and game a 1 iron :getin:

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Your arms should be as straight as you feel comfortable. You should refrain from contorting your arms too much as it may be difficult to recreate every putt and you should aim for a setup that is repeatable. As far as bending over, well you guessed it, it's all personal preference. The two main things in putting are solid strike (getting the ball to roll end over end everytime) and seeing the line. If anyone tells you that at setup your eyes need to be directly over the ball they are misinformed. It's personal preference and biological as well. Some people are left or right eye dominant and it plays a part in how you see the line when addressed to the ball.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Sataere posted:

There was not a break I read wrong today or a cup I didn't lip out of. :v:

Got my driver sorta going. 175 yards and straight pretty consistently. Just wish I wasn't bitch-made.

Jesus Christ, are you swinging the thing with one arm?

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Has anyone every used one of those swing analyzers that connect to your phone or tablet? I've been strongly considering one since I feel like I can figure out some drills and improve my game based on the numbers it can provide. I'm leaning towards the swingtalk, since it seems to have got good reviews and I like that it just sticks in to the butt end of any club. The problem is you can't buy it from a brick and mortar store, so I just haven't pulled the trigger. Anyone have any experience with it or with one of the other ones, namely Zepp Golf?

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Summit posted:

Hopefully you got these numbers in a bay with a GC2 in it. The Golf Galaxy near me has two fake simulator bays that give hilariously optimistic numbers. I can hit 7 irons 190 yards dead straight all day long in those.

Same. I work right next door to a Golf Galaxy and I go in there occasionally and hit balls into the simulator. I hit 200 yard 7 irons all day. It says the club head speed is in the low 90's. Wish it were true!

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Totally sucks, but not surprising. I won't buy clubs in a big box store. The employees don't know anything. I won't even have my clubs regripped at a Golf Galaxy or a similar store.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Homestar Runner posted:

Right on.

focus on staying down through the swing and rotating through impact to a full finish, duder.

I would totally take lessons from a goon golf coach if this is how it went :)

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
^^^ Are the F7's the one length irons? I'd love to hit them to see what they are all about.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Haven't played golf in a couple months, but I've become super serious about health and fitness. My diet is pristine, I work out regularly, and have even added in yoga. Next time I go to the range I should be carrying the ball 300+. Seriously, do any of you practice a strength and flexibility regiment designed for golf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Dimebag is most certainly to blame here. I wouldn't trust an 11 handicap to properly clean the grooves out of a wedge. For God's sake, I've seen 12 year olds that can break 80. "Just play the game" was correct advice.