Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Apparently Taylormade sales dipped 28% in 2014. Maybe this "new clubs every month" thing is finally catching up to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My whole bag currently is preowned/closeout stuff. R11 irons, R11s driver, R11s 4 wood, rescue hybrid, ATV wedges, Odyssey PT9 putter. I paid nowhere near what all of this would've cost brand new, and the preowned stuff was in good to great shape.

The driver was a steal, I think I paid like 40 bucks for it at Golfsmith. It looked like it was in really bad condition, but all the head needed was a cleaning with some Simple Green, and it was like I had a brand new club.

Callaway Preowned is always running good deals. They practically want to give their clubs away. They had some crazy putter sale a while back and that's how I ended up with my PT9

shyduck fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 11, 2015

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What's a good drill for follow-through? I feel as if I have a mental block with it, like after I hit the ball I want to stop movement and have my club out in front of me.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I was half expecting it to be Kim Jong Un

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Girlfriend won right to buy Masters tickets... but for Monday only :negative:

Would it even be worth traveling from Philly to go? I'm thinking not, but I really had my hopes up for a second

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

DJExile posted:

The practice rounds own. Go.
Yep, after some brief discussion, we're gonna go. It's gonna be four of us since there's four tickets, and her dad within minutes of hearing the news booked a couple of rooms like 15 miles out. We're gonna drive down on probably Sunday and leave Tuesday. Should be good!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

2nd Swing opened up a retail store near me, and wow that place is dangerous to wallets. Some new stock, but a gigantic used selection, and 10 hitting bays with trackers. I think I spent well over an hour there.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/jonathanrwall/status/1012026219322380288

Mallet sales about to increase 500000000%

Lincoln posted:

I'm going to buy a new GPS -- I'm sick of using my phone. Do you guys prefer watch or handheld? The handhelds seem to have easier navigation & a bigger screen, but the watch style sits right there on your wrist.
I have a fairly basic GPS watch, and I like it quite a bit. Mine is a bit older (Bushnell Neo X), but it gives me enough info at a glance. Only downside is while my watch does have an update feature, you can only do it one course at a time. I'm not sure if that's something Bushnell has remedied on its newer watches, but just keep that mind if you play at a variety of courses. For me personally it's no big deal.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 27, 2018

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody here currently using one-length irons,or used them for a period of time (more than once)? Curious about your thoughts on them, I'm getting lured in again

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They look like fishing bobs

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Kirios posted:

I game one length right now and absolutely love it. It's the main reason why I dropped my score from low 100's to high 80's over the last year and I continue to get better. You do need above average swing speed to use them well however, and I personally don't like one length wedges so you need to see what you do and don't want one length. But it's legit and not a gimmick, I don't see myself moving back to variable length any time soon.
Thanks for the input. Swing speed shouldn't be an issue- I continuously have to fight hockey instincts of wanting to murder the ball. I just don't have the time to put in anymore between work and parenting, and if I can simplify things for the occasional round with my father in law, all the merrier.

How long did it take you to get comfortable with them, particularly the higher lofts (8/9)? Also what clubs are you playing?

daslog posted:

My league partner gave up on them after a year. He lost too much accuracy with the shorter irons.
Thanks- that does seem to be a big sticking point with some. Was it a distance issue?

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 17, 2021

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Welcome to the Ping club Petey. Their customer support is fantastic. Also at any point if you decide to upgrade or whatever, they tend to hold their resale value better than most OEMs

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 6, 2021

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsfeJQqW4sw

:stare:

Apparently landed center fairway

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Putter cover stays on religiously because if I get a nick or scratch, it'll bug the poo poo out of me. Driver/fairway/hybrids stay off once used. Iron covers are fine I suppose for travel but should stay in the trunk. I don't have them.

edit: I should note I'm using cast Pings for irons/wedges, and the chatter just gives them uh character

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 17, 2021

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Unleashing the bumble bees this weekend

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Random grumbling: As somebody who has played hockey religiously for over 30 years now, I still can't quite grasp "slap shot drills" and anything of the like. Both sports just seem too different, idk. Anytime I try to hockey my golf it just causes more problems

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1397573071519764481?s=19

ugh

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/BKoepka/status/1397613611435036678?s=19

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

God drat

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Tom Brady doesn't manage his social media fwiw

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm buying new grips. Ebay has a ton of listings for Golf Pride New Decade grips. You can get 13 grips for under 60 bucks. Are these legit? They normally sell for 10 a pop from reputable places

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Word, thanks. I've done some more googling, and I never quite realized how much counterfeit golf equipment is out there.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I know a perfectly good Snotty Cameroon when I see one

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah I'd get a lesson to try and get any big faults out of the way.

For YouTube though check out Shawn Clement. He does a nice job of relating swing thoughts to other sports and activities. His "knife the grip" video amongst others helped me immensely.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Rick Shiels did a couple of Mizuno putter reviews not too long ago and wasn't crazy about them. His chief complaint was the feel, and thinks Mizuno needs some more development time to get it right. Bear in mind this is more or less their introduction into the putter world.

Unless you can get one in your hands to try, I'd probably stick with the Odyssey

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah that too, don't fix what isn't broken

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't use the 2-ball but I love the White Hot insert

Unrelated, but yesterday somebody died from a lightning strike at a course not far from where I live. It's possibly the first lightning-related death in the country this year. Be careful out there

shyduck fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 10, 2021

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The 7i on my new-to-me Pings is missing the tuning weight :mad:

Wondering if I should just send the entire set to Ping to replace it and re-glue the rest

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They're the i25s so it's probably the same issue. I'll just send in the entire set to be safe

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Oh god was this the guy who showed up to Masters practice thinking it meant he could actually practice

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Since my FIL is retired and is my regular playing partner I'll just take time off mid-week to play.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The front 9 is always the warmup round

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

How long do you take to locate a ball before you declare it lost? Lately I'll just take maybe 30-45 seconds tops before I'll declare it gone, especially if I'm near deep brush. My FIL on the other hand will take seemingly forever, driving around in circles and sometimes near adjacent fairways looking for it. I can't stand it

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Rocking a Versa #7 for years now. I've had other putters but it keeps finding it's way back in the bag. I especially like how easy it is to pick my ball up with

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I love the yellow/black chromesofts but I lose them just as easily

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Somebody learned how to fade the ball on demand today

I mean tomorrow's a new day but today man, today

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bryson out of the Olympics due to positive covid test. Replaced by Patrick Reed

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/acaseofthegolf1/status/1433145609301680128?s=19

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I played at a course in northern NJ not too long ago that was setup so it was virtually impossible to walk. For instance to get to one of the holes you had to take a windy steep path down the side of a mountain that took 3 solid minutes by cart. No shortcuts either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Couldn't live without Bryson I guess