Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

aehiilrs posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the new driving irons that are out? I'm looking to replace the old 1 iron in my bag but want something with a similar low flight because of the ~fun~ wind conditions at the courses I play.

http://wishongolf.com/new-590dih-driving-irons/

Waiting for my fitter to get these in, so I can get my hands on them. Will report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

Long as we're posting swing videos, I cannot recommend Payne Stewart enough if you want to work on your iron play. His tempo was phenomenal and a lot of these lessons get some great lag in your swing to make sure you're taking a divot ahead of the ball. He concentrated on taking the entire club back at once, not just pulling the clubhead first.

Here's another good look

I love Payne, but this video is hilarious. It has a lot of....do this this this *perfect swing* hahaha

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Where are you on my chart? :P

EnsGDT posted:

The order is this:

1 realize you want to try golf

2 borrow clubs

3 fall in love

4 buy a lovely used set

5 play terrible golf

6 take lessons

7 get better at golf

8 realize that the limiting factor in you game is your lovely clubs

9 get fitted by a professional

10 bliss

Edit:

Also, as far as real deal instructional videos go, I understand these are pretty good:
http://access.revolutiongolf.com/discover-the-secrets/embrace-your-uniqueness

I haven't bought them, but my fitter sent me that link to watch. My favorite info from it is the 10% swing thing.

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 11, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

Hahaha oh hell yes

Holy poo poo you guys I could get so used to this membership thing. Wanna hit balls? Sure! Chip around the short game range all you want too! Wanna carry, push, or cart for a few holes? Go nuts! Wanna skip ahead a couple holes to get around a few groups? Be our guest!

Golf loving owns. Memberships own. Everything owns. Goodbye productivity.

Ugh, the mens club at my local course are the reason I don't play Sunday mornings anymore. They keep trying to get me to join, but then I'd be one of them :(

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

I am at 6) Taking lessons

My dad gave me my entire bag of clubs except a hybrid I bought after playing great with my friend's (Cobra Baffler 4 hybrid, the exact club he had). Of course I immediately sucked with it after buying it hah

The instructor said my clubs should be fine to learn on. I'll finish my lesson series, practice for a month or two while also playing, and reevaluate. He is going to check my fit next week. Tonight I learned my grip was off. My left hand was on the club fine but my right hand was not correct. Hopefully this adjustment helps me improve my longer shots.

Lessons are so important to improving. Good on ya :)

I know for me, I did a cursory search in my area for well regarded fitters, then searched the various golf forums for people with first-person experiences with them.

I ended up here http://pasadenaclubfitter.com/

Bob is loving awesome. I sent him an email introducing myself and asking a few questions, and this was his response:

quote:

Thank you for reaching out to me for help in getting fitted. The fitting process is similar to an artist working with a blank canvas. There are no preconceived ideas of what the golfer needs. working with different styled heads, different length, weight and flex shafts we come up with the formula that best fits you. If your Burner Plus irons are that fit great, if not I will tell you. Although I do sell clubs, my primary purpose is to get the golfer fit. It is not a short process. The first session will take up to 2 hours, followed by you going out on your own and hitting a test iron to see how it works in real life, then get back together and see ball flight. If needed we tweak the test club, or totally rebuild it until we get the formula of shaft, head and grip as correct as possible. Now if your iron heads are the right design for you it may only be changing out the shafts, or maybe they are perfect the way they currently are. One word of caution, a number of the TaylorMade irons are impossible or very difficult to bend. I'm not familiar with your particular model but will call TaylorMade on Monday to find out if and how much they can be bent for lie and loft. The fitting session with follow ups is a cost of $155. I only work by appointment and normally am booked at least a week out.
I look forward to helping you get more out of your game through properly fitted clubs.

That was, and remains, the kind of attention to detail I wanted in a club fitter :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Weird, but I stopped breaking tees with my driver when I fixed my swing so that I swing up on my driver swing, instead of attacking down.

I used to mow through those motherfuckers though.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Summit posted:

I seem to hit most of my shots "thin" and only get a divot maybe half the time. Not sure how to fix it.

Take a video of your swing and post it here, and we can take a look!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Mr. BT posted:

Only a video I took of me walking up to the hole to see if it was in.

The dialog when I got to the green was:

holy gently caress!
holy poo poo!
holy smokes!
a hole in one!

I already ordered a case for the ball and an 8x10 photo of the above. :)

Uh where is that video and congrats :)

We demand proof. Jet fuel can't melt steel beams. Ron Paul 2016.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

daslog posted:

I really needed a lesson every other week just so I could have someone point out my swing faults.

I mean, this is true for everyone, all the way up to the pros

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Nice round man. I'm near Pasadena, we should go play. Though frankly not nearly as good as you :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxLkEPb5DzI

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Rory is done for the open. Ruptured tendon in his ankle.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/33407734

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Fitter/coach sent me a video this morning, for a drill to keep working on getting my weight shift in the right order. Gonna get to the range tonight and try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJdwqW4KL0

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

aehiilrs posted:

If you get yourself in trouble, get back to the fairway instead of going for a hero shot.

Though if there's nobody behind you...drop two and hit em both cause that's a great time to practice those shots :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

corn in the fridge posted:

i did not ride a cart

Thank gently caress for this.

Walking golfers unite! I play regularly with my club fitter and his friends, all of whom are easily 70+ years old, and they all walk. Not only do they walk, but they smoke my 30 year old rear end up and down the course :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

mattfl posted:

You walkers need to come to Florida and try and do that poo poo. No one wants to walk in 95+ degree weather and 100% humidity. I said it before but I can't think of any course in the central Florida area that allows walkers.

I did grad school at FSU carrying film equipment around for two years, and it was lovely, but doable with enough water and sun screen haha

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Kameh posted:

Y'all.

https://instagram.com/_paige.renee/

I have many impure thoughts. At least one of them is jealousy. What a solid swing.

Good lord.

Deathlove posted:

The course I was last at had a big ol' "NO WALKERS" sign.

Maybe they were just big Game of Thrones fans?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/watch-this-player-hit-golf-balls-with-a-tennis-racket-at-the-u-s-womens-open

Clubface angle is important!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Kameh posted:

See, I feel differently. A 3 wood has a lot of technology that drivers have, but if you're a new golfer, you're PROBABLY going to mishit the 3 wood as often as you mishit the driver. But, all other things being equal, you're gonna be 20+ yards ahead with a driver mishit compared to a mishit with a 3w.

Article I read a while back that sort of solidified this nebulous notion of mine that driver off tee is better than 3 wood - http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2007-10/golftechdriver

Personally, a bad swing is a bad swing, but unless there's trouble at the end of the fairway or a driver will leave me with a wonky yardage, I'm pulling driver every time.

People that hit their 3-wood consistently much better off the tee than their driver are probably hitting a driver with too little loft for their swing speed and the angle at which they impact that ball. And their driver is also probably way too long for them.

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 14, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I mean, it's just course management. If you think of it as yardages and shot shapes, sometimes you need a 3W, or sometimes your driver is the tool for the job. Not all courses require every kind of shot. poo poo, the last few weeks, I can count on one hand the number of times I've hit my 3W or 2H. That's only because I've played the same course, and it doesn't require it.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Playing the new PGA Tour game, and some rear end in a top hat just yelled BABABOOEY on my drive :argh:

Edit: if you're so bored that watching fake computer golf sounds like a good idea, [url]http://www.twitch.tv/unioncarbide[/url] Stopped for now.

I've been playing for the last couple hours. Only bummer is that I hit the ball farther than my create a player does.

I'm ensgdt add me

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

gently caress me, chunked 6 iron into fescue, hit decent shot short or green, stubbed chip, bladed chip, two putt. Double bogey loving poo poo cock balls dick rear end.

OH man taste that double tastes so fine hahaha

For me, as California dries up, anything around the green that doesn't involve me hitting over sand, has been a bump and run 9 iron lately. It's just too god drat dry. Even with hinge and hold, I'm blading everything.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Today is Birthday Golf Day so I dont care how bad I do. :toot:

Its 34 outside, feels like 41 with humidity, not a cloud in the sky, and I have 12 bottles of water frozen and ready to go. Im even taking my driver today. LETS DO THIS.

It took me a second to figure out this was Celsius haha

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Swing weight balanced all my clubs today, after I re-gripped them.

5 grams between clubs, .5 swing weights between clubs, 1/2" length stepping. Maintained a constant balance point ratio between every club.

Just got back from the range. Made a couple adjustments. Went too heavy on my 4 & 5 irons.

Feels good man. Just in time to play 18 tomorrow morning in the SoCal rain. The greens are gonna be so slow, i can't wait :D

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BCRock posted:

Where are you playing tomorrow? I've got the first round of my club's big yearly individual match play tournament tomorrow at Rancho. The greens there have been awful lately so I can't wait to see how bad they are after this rain.

Playing Brookside #2 at the Rose Bowl. My fitter and all his old dude buddies play there every weekend, and when they have a spot, they invite me to join.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BCRock posted:

Nice. I like #2, but every time I get over to Pasadena everyone only wants to play #1.

I like #1 but even with a 7:40A tee time like we have tomorrow it's slow as balls on a Sunday. I like it though. Good shotmaking required on both of them.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

What are you feeling when you use it, that doesn't feel right?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks for posting, man. Really fun read :)

Also, had back to back birdies today. First time in a while!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I mean, it IS Robin Williams' birthday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Literally anyone can run a 5k, you'll be fine. I used to run them (slowly) on an all night bartending shift and smoking. You'll be fine haha

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

So I think I figured out why I hate the driver; of the two I have, both are low loft (8 and 9) and really hard to hit properly with the slower club head speed of my swing. I tried my dad's 10.5 and I was hitting it just as good as I hit my 3W, only 30+ yards further, so now Im in the market for a driver. And a 5W.

Is this one of those cases where Id be better off hitting up a golf shop for a proper fitting?

8° and 9° are craaazy low loft, especially if you don't have a lot of clubhead speed and a positive angle of attach on your driver swing.

http://wishongolf.com/3-key-specifications-of-driver-fitting/
http://www.iseekgolf.com/clubfittingandrepairs/7313-angle-of-attack-its-role-in-fitting

Here's a quick read on the topic, for your perusal :)

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 1, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I have the ASICS hot weather shoes and love them.

ASICS Men's Gel-ACE Tour Sunbelt Golf Shoe,Black/Lime/Charcoal,10.5 M US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHFVBN0/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_wiSVvbABFFT41

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

aehiilrs posted:

I was golfing back near home and ended up with the worst lie I've ever had: Alkali. Hit down on the ball? The soil has no structure, hopefully you didn't want to be above the grass on your next shot. Hit before the ball? Hope you enjoy fluffing the ball. Pick the ball perfectly? Nice shot! How's that terrible cloud taste right about now? Good luck getting it off your shoes and club.

Switch out the sand for dirt and you have anywhere that isn't right in the middle of the fairway on pretty much every Los Angeles public course right now.

How far out were you there?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BCRock posted:

Griffith Park just hosted the Special Olympics golf events there, so I've heard it's in good shape right now as well. Going to play Wilson on Friday.

I heard that they cut the greens retarded fast...

But seriously, yeah I don't get up to the valley much cause I'm an East Sider and it's hot as balls out right now haha. I'll have to get up there next time I have a weekday off!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

That's an oxymoron, or maybe just an actual moron.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Minus the Cardinals shirt that is what I was planning on bringing yeah

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Though frankly the Cards shirt is what makes that picture for me

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Kameh posted:

Congratulations. That's what it's all about, man. Good luck to you.

I got some new shoes in, so I'm going to break them in.

:siren::siren:

Enjoy you round of golf in Baghdad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Douchebag posted:

Any course recommendations in the Myrtle Beach area? I'll be down there next week and I'd like to play at least once.

When I was a kid I played Man O' War and The Wizard, and I remember them being pretty awesome, but gently caress if that wasn't 15 years ago.