Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

shyduck posted:

Yeah I'd get a lesson to try and get any big faults out of the way.

For YouTube though check out Shawn Clement. He does a nice job of relating swing thoughts to other sports and activities. His "knife the grip" video amongst others helped me immensely.

Been getting back into golf this season after like 6 years away. I've NEVER been able to hit a 460cc driver and never carried one but don't have much of a choice so figured I'd try and learn. Watched a bunch of Shawn Clement videos on grip and went out and hit 2 small buckets, driver only today. Bucket 1 didn't go too well, was experimenting with a bunch of things and ended up with my typical mega slice off the tee. Grabbed a second bucket, and with about 20 balls left, I think I figured out how to hit this club. Strong grip, with my right hand rolled "under" the club (so both my wrists are facing each other), and pressing my hands forward to bring the club square at address. Hit the last dozen or so straight and they felt great so I'm really looking forward to my next outing where I'll be unable to repeat this and be back at square one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
The US Open is an open tournament which means anyone* can show up on Thursday with no more than 14 clubs and just get at it

*participant must be human, see the USGA rule III.9 the so-called "Air Bud" clause

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Do either of you use a strong grip? If not, this video (and others on the topic) helped me fix my inability to hit a driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUrFcF4nki4&t=249s. I also have a Callaway Rogue and was considering setting it to draw and doing something with the loft so I wouldn't have to use tall tees, but changing my grip pretty much instantly fixed all of my problems.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

RCarr posted:

I would legitimately pay $1000 to be able to shoot one round of scratch golf. Like if a witch doctor could guarantee it for me. It must be such an amazing feeling to just own a golf course.

I’ve excelled at every spot I’ve ever played but I am just so terrible at golf.

E: Obviously there would be a caveat that al me friends were there to witness it.

The witch doctor would make you shank every single shot but you'd get really lucky bounces off trees and cart paths

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Shot a 53 on 9 today, lost my swing almost completely on the last two holes, but on 8 I 1-putted a 40 yard or so bomb to save par and I bogeyed 9 after chipping one over the green, leaving the next chip short by 10 feet and sinking the third.

e: 40 foot not yard putt

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 12, 2021

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Petey posted:

If by "normal drop" you mean "oh, my ball is lost in the woods, I will drop a ball near where it went out and take a stroke," which is what I have always done, what I am learning is that you and me have been cheating.

This isn't really cheating IF the woods are marked as lateral hazards (usually red stakes = lateral, white = ob) so check the local rules at your course. If it's a lateral/red penalty you drop where it entered for one stroke penalty, OB (and I guess unfindable but in bounds) is 2 strokes on the fairway with the rule we've been discussing.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
One course I play at has a ton of tall "grass" which is like 90% poison ivy and the scorecard says to play shots into those patches as a lateral hazard, and the same with some woods/creeks that run along a couple of the fairways.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
It's weird because I'm pretty sure you're allowed to hit another ball under "stroke and distance" relief at literally any time for any reason, but the rules on when you're allowed to use a provisional are way more convoluted.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
On a whim, swapped my driver shaft from a 50g regular flex to a 60g stiff flex and it feels great on the range. Looking forward to taking it out on the course and setting a new record in balls lost off the tee though.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Well I messed up, started lifting again and now my 8 iron goes 150 yards but I can't hit anything but a diving mega draw hook on my driver

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I save a lot of putts by sailing my first approach shot past the green, then leaving the second one 2 feet short of the green, before finally landing the 3rd chip within 5 feet for an easy 1-putt

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
For beginners, I would say club up one more only if you need to carry over a hazard. Otherwise, leaving it short is usually better than sailing it long.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Still trying to figure out why I'm snap hooking all my drives and woods and hitting my irons pretty well. I think I've got it down to something going on in my backswing, because at the range today I was hot garbage hitting driver until the sun lined up behind me in such a way that the shadow of the club head was visible and I ended up waiting until the shadow covered the ball on the tee before starting my downswing and started to get solid contact back.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Also re: golf apps, I've been using GolfPad and it seems pretty decent, keeps stats on your club distances and makes recommendations and you can manually exclude duffs and shanks from your stats history.

I'm also using an Apple watch and it integrates pretty well except I think it sometimes tracks me taking a practice swing and walking to my bag to get another club as a shot taken, then I have to take out the phone and delete it if I remember to. Also, I think there's a bug where it stops logging scores input on the watch if you leave the map or shot editing screen open in the app.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Zarfol posted:

So, I have a set of clubs now, which is 5i - 9i, PW, GW. Also have a Putter and a Driver.

Do I really need any other clubs? I have an old hybrid club that is like 19 degrees, but for some reason, I just can never hit the thing at all so I stopped bringing it.

Was thinking I probably need a sand wedge, but I seem to be OK with the Gap wedge getting out of the lovely courses in NYC, since the sand is usually pretty hard and getting under the ball in the sand doesn't really seem to work.

Usually play by myself or with Randos since I don't know anyone in NYC that golfs, so not trying to impress anyone.

You most likely don't need any more, but if you already have the budget for some more, here are my thoughts:

Are the wedges from the same set as the irons? If so, I'd recommend at least one dedicated wedge in the 50-60 degree range with some bounce. I feel like wedges from an iron set play more like shorter irons (10i and 11i) than wedges.

For longer clubs, try a bunch and see what you're good at hitting and what your distances are. My set is 5i-PW and I picked up a 3w and 5w but I probably could have added a 4 hybrid instead, and might do that some day and take the 3w out of the set since I play mostly short courses.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
They should make a golf video game that incorporates the thought catalog from Disco Elysium. Would be way more realistic to have your golfer suddenly get the snap hooks because they internalized a bad swing thought

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Try some of each out at the range/simulator and see what distances you're getting. Don't worry about gaps in club loft so much until you see how you hit them and what distances you want to cover between driver and 4 iron. Just try a bunch of clubs and pick the ones you hit distances that you're likely to want to hit during a round.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Try it and see, it's not like it's gonna cost you anything if you don't like it.

Generally speaking you should be hitting the ball while the clubhead is traveling upward with the driver. If you're hitting it off the crown it could be teed too high or set too far back in your stance or you're too close to the ball or some combination of factors. Ideally you'd figure that out first then start tweaking your club to squeeze out the last bit of performance though, 1-2 degrees is not going to make a huge difference.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Well I finally was able to turn a good day at the driving range into a decent 9 hole round. Shot 45 including my first and second birdies ever. Looking forward to my rebound 60 next time I go out.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

this is the golf equivalent of training in the hyperbolic time chamber

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I putt glove on on every hole except the last since I usually try and get a head start on emptying all the tees and balls from my pants pockets. I still get home with like 2 stray tees stuck in there which get added to the collection on top of my dresser and remain there for years

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

torgeaux posted:

No, no. Those go in the change tray in your car until a good poke reaching for change causes you to empty the tees. Do you even play golf?

I'd love to leave them in the car except they somehow don't appear in my pocket until I get home and change out of my golf clothes

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I would unironically watch high level mini golf, assuming it was presented for TV exactly the same as normal golf, and Rob Riggle was not involved in any way

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
My miss is usually topping the ball, but I find that taking practice swings going back and forth and making sure I'm consistently grazing the ground where the ball would be in both directions helps me a lot

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Try? Before you = buy!

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

RCarr posted:

Not meaning any offense, but if you can’t track your ball you might need glasses.

I just golf with friends, idk if it's just me there's like a 50% chance I look away from where I thought it went for a split second and then I lose all reference for where it could be.

Another helpful tip is to walk instead of ride a cart, since you don't have to take a side track, can just point in the direction of your ball and walk til you find it or hit water.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

wyoak posted:

does a scotty cameron fix this

no they're so nice you'll want to putt more

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I picked golf up again last year and have pretty flexible work hours so I'd go out alone for 9 holes on like friday or thurs am get paired with retirees at the local municipal course. It was great watching an 80 year old dude hit 150 yards off the tee and still hit more GIRs than me but also I felt like a god when I'd hit anything over 200 yards.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I'm absolutely terrible at finding my ball if it's anywhere in the rough. Doubly so if I'm riding a cart and have to make anything other than a beeline directly towards where I hit it. I probably lose 2-3 strokes a round from lost ball penalties. When I play solo and walk directly in the path of my shot, I'm fine, but even a small detour to the cart path is enough to completely wipe my memory of where my ball landed

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Anyone here played Torrey Pines? Might be visiting a friend in CA in September, looks like tee times open for booking 90 days in advance, any tips? Never booked a round at a "good" course before, but do have a lot of experience trying to find tee times at crowded munis.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I usually grab a couple $0.75 used balls from the fishbowl at the pro shop at my local muni. Of the selection, I tend to pick any V1s or Vice balls I find. Probably due to a small sample size, but I like the Vices a lot, they tend to last me longer before I lose them than the Titleists, but who knows

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Not sure what I'm doing wrong (or right?) but my 8 iron is my actual 150 yard club and I'm pretty consistent with it, but when I pull 9 or PW to hit it 120-140, they also go 150 yards on a full swing or 100 yards when I lay off a bit

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

LIV and let DIE

e: nvm misread live as LIV

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Disclaimer: any swing tips I provide are literally whatever I've been working on myself lately

Maybe your friend could try to keep his weight on the inside of his back foot in the backswing instead of kinda of rolling it to the outside (hard to tell, but looks like the outside of his left foot digs into the ground and his knee kinda bows out). I always recommend the "foot together" swing drill because it helps a lot with balance and tempo, and you can make a few practice swings with it on the course in the middle of a round to sort of reset. If I end up shanking or topping a shot, I try and do foot-together practice swings until I'm making consistent sweeping contact with the ground.

But yeah definitely get him into a lesson because it's really easy to assemble a horrible but "working" swing from a bunch of tips vs just getting a lesson and doing it right

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I treat golf balls the way I treat consumables in rpgs lol. I really like my red Vice pro pluses, but I don't want to "waste" them so I just collect them when I find them in the used ball bowl at the pro shop and never actually tee them up.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Got recommended some of Monte Scheinblum's videos and seeing great results from my irons with his "no turn/cast" moves. Which is good because I can't hit for crap off the tee with it, so I topped every drive 75 yards but followed them up with a 200 yard 5 iron. Definitely fixed my habit of getting stuck way behind and blocking everything hard left, but I'm totally lost at the moment on how to apply it to the driver or woods.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Autistic Speculum posted:

Can anyone recommend a ball for a middle aged high handicapper who drives around 225-240? I’m getting back into golf and haven’t played since the late 90s. I’m a bit clueless with all the different options but at my level it seems like I should just pick something weird like the Srixon Q star tour divide so I always recognize my ball and it’s easier to find.

I like Vice Pros and Pro Plus when I find them, but I generally drive 270-280 when I'm playing well (not currently unfortunately). Vice Pro Soft might be a better ball for your swing speed, or Vice Tour for a cheaper option. They also have a variety pack of 2 each of 5 models for like $20

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

How do those compare with the K-sigs?

No idea, I've heard the latest kirklands are higher spin than the OG model? I pretty much only buy a bunch of 4* used titleists from lostgolfballs and then raid the lost/used ball fishbowl for any non-top flites, which is how I found out I liked Vice Pros.

e: Other than Titlelist and Vice I have no idea what the other brand sub-designations mean, so if I end up with a Callaway or Srixon or Bridgestone in my bag, it could be any kind and I usually pull those only when I'm hitting a 2nd after an OB or hazard.

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 5, 2022

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Autistic Speculum posted:

The pro soft look good and I like the color options. I should probably do some research if there’s a specific ball color that’s best for colorblind players but white shouldn’t be an issue.

I bought a box each of the white and neon red, but I'm also mildly colorblind. The neon red is ok for me, but I'm terrible at finding any ball because once I take my eyes off where I hit it, my brain just forgets all landmarks and I might as well be looking for an easter egg someone else hid somewhere on the course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
in non-LIV chat:

After working through some swing changes using Monte Scheinblum's videos, my 5 iron has gone from a rather inconsistent 180 yards max with a pull tendency to a solid 200 average with a subtle draw, but at the same time, I've been struggling mightily with driver. Like, nothing but shanks, on the course and on the range, looking and feeling like I've never hit a club before in my life. Realized that when I widen my stance for driver and woods, I tend to really let my right foot flare out, like I would do if i was doing sumo squats at the gym. After changing my stance to a fully square back foot, I'm once again able to hit a driver at the range (well 2 sessions in and it's working), so Friday we'll see if it works for real.