Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Farking Bastage posted:

^^ I got on the range this morning and grooved it.

It's starting to click more and more. Also I'm figuring out how to turn better so I'm not pushing it quite so severely. I stopped by the shop afterwards looking to modernize my 15 year old three wood. I saw a Callaway Mavrik there with the same accoutrements as my driver that was a 90 day return for $175. Using that new swing I had just practiced for two hours earlier I proceeded to smack about ten in a row 200 yard carry at around 135mph ball speed 15deg launch and under 300 rpm sidespin.

Good stuff mate. I have the Mavrik in a driver and it's a fantastic head. Earlier this year I changed shaft to a Tensei AV RAW Orange. It's counter balanced (more weight towards the hands) and for me it's helped a lot with control - dispersion is way better. Also bought a similar shaft for my 5 wood. It's interesting re. shafts - my driver swing is 110-114 and that Tensei is just a stiff flex. The balance is more important to me I guess.

Actually went to a fitting session and the Mavrik numbers all but matched the TM Stealth minus about 5 meters. With the boutique shaft they wanted like $1,600 AUD. Told them I'm not paying that much for 5 extra meters lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Capco posted:

There is always a better golfer. My cousin is a teaching pro who routinely breaks 75 and he played against one of the higher ranked Indiana amateurs in a for fun match and got dusted by 6 shots. Golf is really hard.

So true. I recently played matchplay against a +2 handicap 13yo. He got me on the 17th 2&1 and I was quite proud of that. I mean I have a day job and all hahaha

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Incredible final round of the French Open. One of the hardest courses in the world (hosted the Ryder cup) and this guy shoots -9 62 to win it. Insane.

Also probably one of the best shots under pressure this year on 72nd hole https://youtu.be/k2iGWJ1zUwI (8:40)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Hard pass on in any way watching those tournies. Just, eh, don't care, and find the whole thing a step up in the distasteful very rich people competitions all pro sports are.

Agreed, the product is poo poo. If there's no cut and you're already handsomely paid - what's the point.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I have a natural in-to-out swing path and I find a lot of those clubs have a draw bias so I hook the poo poo out of them. I only have a driver then 4-PW as I don't trust my swing with those clubs.

Interested to know which brands/models aren't set up to be anti-slice. If that's the term for it.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Generally, clubs/brands that cater to better players are less draw-biased (that’s the term). I’ve hit the new TSR fairways from Titleist and they are very neutral. The TSR2 is a great fairway for all skill levels.

That said, 3 wood is usually the most difficult club for amateurs to hit so you may struggle to find something that performs consistently for you.

Thanks Josh. I'll see if a local fitter has them to try out.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah, take nothing away from Rahm's amazing last round but Collin needs to work very hard on chipping. Painful to watch.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Chromatics posted:

Man, I've been improving a lot on the range but my back muscles get knots in the instantly. It's not exactly that I'm throwing my back out, the muscles just get very tense near the shoulder blades.

Anyone know good pre or post golf stretching exercises for this area?

Buy a set of Power bands and use them every day. I go to the gym regularly and always do stretches with those. Cheap and very versatile as you can use them anywhere.

https://youtu.be/bcwdonkWbik

I do variations of the stuff in that video. Rows and face pulls are excellent for shoulder and back strength/flexibility.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 10, 2023

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

abigserve posted:

was 36C here and I got out for 18, shot 78 but couldn't get the putter going.

Nice round. You in Sydney? I got 18 in before midday and was so happy to avoid that furnace. Strange to say in the Golf thread but bring on winter!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Ryan Fox and Sahith both winners this weekend - couldn't happen to nicer blokes :)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Drives me bonkers that Cantlay doesn’t wear a hat. Think it’s because the sun tries to kill us down in Australia.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Played Barnbougle/Lost Farm twice each. Fantastic courses and the accommodation is top notch also. One day I'll play that course on King Island.

One of my favourite YouTube golf channels, Taco Golf posted this last week. One of the best golf video's I've ever seen because it's just amazing scenery, no talking/personalities and you watch a professional golfer doing his thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCp8HmQuAqM

Oh the course is like $400 a round so...yeah.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

I thought Brian Harman's hat was a joke or meme or something but nope, MegaCorp is a real company lol.

Haha you and I think alike, I thought it was weird too.

If I were a pro I’d be wearing Tim Dillon’s Fake Business merch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

Good on Rory for the win just now. I really hope he keeps playing well now that he's hopefully a little more focused on himself and his game because he is one of the more exciting dudes to watch when he's playing well.

So good to watch when he's on and when he starts sinking putts from 15 feet in it's game over for everyone else. Can't wait for the PGA.