Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Good news for the winter attic golfers : the Optishot golf simulator has been updated drastically to allegedly improved club tracking accuracy. It's a free upgrade to any Optishot owners who bought it before December 2012. Also, there's now Mac support. I haven't even had the chance to try it out yet. It also now supports online play.

Also, they offer Optishot Gimme , which is a free preview of the software that lets you play 3 courses with a mouse and keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Went into the attic last night to enjoy western New York State's 40 degree heat wave. Learned that my major malfunction for my attempted winter-swing-retool was my arms. As soon as I focused on keeping my arms loose and not tense, I went from 10-13 degree closed face angles, to 2 degrees or less for the majority of my swings. Exciting.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Welp, stepped into the world of not-pinemeadow-beginners-irons today and ordered some Taylormade SLDRs for $400, as an early 5 year wedding anniversary present from the wife. Can't wait for them to get here! (oh god now I need to replace my crappy hybrid and fairway wood)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Angry Asian posted:

Hey guys, a newbie golfer here... I've noticed that to get the club flat on the ground I have to either, choke up quite a bit on the shaft, or stand far away from the ball with a very upright stance. Neither of these is very comfortable and my swing feels very awkward and clumsy. Is this a situation in where I have to get clubs shortened /adjusted? I am pretty short at 5ft 7in so I'm guessing thats why I"m having these issues?

As a newbie myself, only about to start my 3rd season of play, I support Shrapnig's response and want to add that it seems a lot of people's bodies are already ready to commit to a certain way of swinging, and anything else does seem "awkward and clumsy". Usually, the "comfortable" was is indeed wrong, and it takes a lot of practice to become comfortable with a more "proper" swing. I really wish I'd taken a lesson myself.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Ugh. Why did my dumb rear end put off until now to get Carpal Tunnel surgery?

Anyways, my left hand gets cut tomorrow, and the right a couple weeks later. I've read mostly that you shouldn't swing a club for 6-ish weeks. Anyone have any experiences with that?

At least the weather here is still pretty terrible and it'll be at least another month before any courses are playable.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

zinc68 posted:

Get better soon GolfBro. I'd just recommend practicing your putting until you hate doing it. And then do it some more.And then do more.

Welp : Left hand is done. I asked the surgeon and he was pretty liberal with activities compared to a lot of the posting I've seen online. He tells me the only limitation of activities is my tolerance for pain. He claims "the body tells you if you're doing something you shouldn't. just kind of listen to it". More specifically, as soon as a week passes and my cast/brace is removed, swing a club and see what happens. So : that's interesting.

edit : oh god it itches. I long for death's sweet embrace.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 27, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My problem was that I was searching for one I swear I'd seen in one of the Caddyshack movies.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

zinc68 posted:

Are you thinking of the self-aiming putter?

It's been over a decade since i've seen Caddyshack 2, but i swear I'd also seen jack use drat near exactly the self hitting driver for a shot.

I need to track it down now. Neither netflix nor amazon prime instant have it. :(

Edit: the wife rented it on amazon for me, as she's being extra nice because of my current misery. I'd forgotten how bad it is.

Here it is, as I'm currently too lazy to do a proper capture :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHfYNF8Sk8s

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 28, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

UnionCarbide posted:

TIL that Nerdrock's wife likes to salt the wound.

Yeah. She's also exploiting my lack of ability to play video games and has been playing Binding of Isaac on the PS4 loving non-stop since the surgery.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

I'm not sure what type of simulator they use, think it began with an O

It might have been an Optishot, which is what I have in my attic. It's basically the cheapest (but pretty ok) simulator you can get. It's nice in that it tells you club head speed, face angle, and path.. but that's it.

Unrelated : Bandage came off my left hand carpal tunnel surgery today. initial trials for a golf swing are UNPLEASANT. Probably be a few more weeks before i can even swing anything.

spoilered for gruesomeness :

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

It wasn't an OptiShot, the cameras and tracking items were mounted in the ceiling and the side walls and in front. Was pretty decent though and it has me wanting to build a golf sim of my own. Now I just need 12,000 dollars.

Edit: Also, that's gross. Hopefully you'll be back swinging soon.

Ok, good. I would chide them for using a sim that costs less than most of the sets of clubs they're using it to try and sell.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

Holy poo poo, that hand.........was that from video gaming or something? Horrible dude, get better.

27 years of video gaming and computer poo poo. Started all that when I was about 5.

Right hand gets done in roughly a week.

Edit : that was taken immediately after removing the bandage. It's still gruesome, but the color has gotten a bit less concerning than is shown in the photo.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 2, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Oh god the weather is still poo poo here, right hand surgery is Friday, and first week of Golf League is 3 weeks from tonight.

I tried a couple of swings yesterday... weakness in my hand left me only able to swing (tolerate) about 1/2 power. Guess it's more putting practice for me.

At this rate I'll score the same as I did last season. Embarrass myself the first couple months, then start getting more competent, watch my handicap drop 10 strokes, and get called a sandbagger.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Welp : hit the range briefly today.

My left hand had the surgery 3 weeks 2 days ago. Right hand a week and 2 days ago.

The results : not good. I lack the strength in my hands to keep hold of the club properly during a swing. I can basically feel in my hand the clubface making contact with the ball and turning at impact. This happens with any shot at %75 power or higher.

The good news is there's no shooting pains through anything at least.

I might try again wednesday, and bring my rain gloves and get them wet before.

League starts in a week. Damnit.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Suprfli6 posted:

It's been pretty windy here lately and my home course has been mobbed with people so I've been hitting lots of extra balls and experimenting with random stuff. And I found that hitting a 75% sand wedge gives me better results than a full lob wedge most of the time, 75% PW is also really reliable and I can hit really big draws doing that if I try. So maybe not taking full swings and using an extra club could work for you until you're fully healed up.

After playing four days in a row, the forecast for this week looks like poo poo so I'm glad I squeezed that much golf in. I'm averaging a bit better than bogey golf so far which is about where I was at the end of last season so I'm happy I didn't fall apart over the winter.

Yeah. My super short clubs were the only ones I could hit with any relative consistency compared to the others. My new TM SLDR irons came with a 56 so I traded my cleveland to my friend who only had a 60 (that he'd won in our local watering hole's tournament last year). I can stick that 60 a flat 50 yards away like a madman. At least that's something.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I know I'm terrible, but all things considered with my surgeries and not setting foot on a golf course in probably 8 months, I'm not extremely disappointed with today's results. 4.5 weeks out of left hand carpal tunnel surgery and 2.5 weeks out of my right hand's (coupled with a brand new set of irons), my major issue is having no clue how long my shots are going to be. Problem was a couple of duffed shots and my putting was garbage. Also I forgot booze, so lack of swing-lube didn't help at all.

All in all though, the most important thing is that I'm not in pain!

Edit : also this was my first round with GolfPad GPS along with the LG G watch. Normally I use my Pebble. Result : the best golf app for android wear, but the platform just can't really support that kind of use. My battery went from 100 percent to 35 percent over the course of 9 (slow because of league) holes, and the watch would hang / freeze often enough for me to just stop trying to use it for marking shots. I'm going to get the Golf Tags soon.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 28, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Played my first 18 of the season today. As I'd mentioned 9 went OK earlier in the week ... I'm not quite ready for 18 yet. about the 12th hole I started losing strength in my wrist which directly translated into duffing every single shot under 80 yards. The whole round was pretty poor, as I was making solid contact and starting to get predictable distances back ... but pushing all of my shots to the right.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My Golf Tags (Basically "Game Golf" but your NFC capable Android phone is the receiver rather than wearing that janky GPS belt thing) came in today. With it came a code for a free year of Golf Pad Premium . If anyone wants the code, PM me or reply and I'll post / send / PM the code or whatever.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

mattfl posted:

Def interested in how these work. Considering picking up something like this to track clubs better.

I'll make a post once I get to try 'em. I might be able to do 9 this weekend somewhere, otherwise I'll have to wait until league on Monday night. Long ago I'd emailed support with some questions (about using my note 4 with s-view cover) and they were prompt and courteous with their responses, assuring me a full money back return if I have troubles or am not satisfied.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Golf Tags Review :

Let me preface this by the fact that I'm normally a terrible golfer, and I'm even worse lately due to a multitude of factors (new irons, rebuilt swing, only a month and change after carpal tunnel surgeries). I mis-hit WAY more shots than usual, and got so frustrated with my drives early on that I bagged it for the majority of the round. So : Don't harsh my lovely score too much : https://www.golfpadgps.com/round/RGJALE

The Good :

Marking shots works well most of the time. I don't so much tap the club to my pocket as kind of just wipe it across my phone, because it's hard to tell exactly where the NFC ability starts and stops on a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. The phone buzzes and you have the option to have it play a subtle tone even when the phone is silent.

Shots marked are instantly displayed on your smart watch. I used my Pebble for this round. It tells you the club you just marked (9i) , followed by your previous yardage for your last shot (8i 145y). Marking your putter will tell you the current tally for the hole.

Golf Pad gives you all the stats you can ask for related to your shots you took for the current round, activity for a certain course, etc. You can get all this info with the regular Golf Pad app if you manually input your clubs when you mark a shot, the Golf Tags just make it a lot more convenient.

Battery drain on my phone was pretty good. Your phone screen NEEDS to stay on for NFC to work, so Golf Pad has their own "lock screen" that dims the screen as far as possible while keeping it active. After 18 holes I'd say my phone only lost maybe 15% more of its charge as it usually would have after a round.

You don't NEED a smart watch to go with the app / tags, but honestly the tags lose their a bit of their convenience if you have to pull your phone out to check yardages anyways.

The Bad :

Marking shots only works if the Golf Pad app is active, unlike marking shots with the pebble where you can still have your text messages open or whatever.

They're just pieces of plastic you screw into the end of your clubs. Obviously there's an NFC chip inside, but they look a little 'cheap' on the club end, and my putter looks flat out dumb with it completely not matching the shape of the putter grip. No color options. Black would have been a lot more preferable instead of the bright rear end blue.

Conclusion :

It's right what I'd expected. I can't wait to get a lot more rounds under my belt with this and see the stats take shape a lot more accurately. I was already a Golf Pad fan because they've been the best to implement smart watch features, had my eye on Game Golf, and got super excited to see them release Golf Tags.

Their support is outstanding and there's a money back guarantee. I've spent a hundred bucks on way dumber poo poo than this. 9/10.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Holy poo poo. My wife gets me random golf related things for christmas that I may or may not have bought on my own, and I just put on the glove she got me. It's a "Bionic" glove which has extra padding inside. This is the first time I've ever felt like my hand was welded to the goddamn grip. I'm in love, especially with the weakness in my hand lately. Seriously, after only 4 holes with it *goddamn thunderstorm*, I'm already sold on these things permanently.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Similarly, I hit a breakthrough realization last night. My backswing is loving me up, and bad (too far back was taking my eye off the ball). While playing last night I noticed this and from that point forward I was hitting extremely clean shots that were going very, very far for me. I was quite proud of the 205 i hit my 5i, and 251 I hit my fairway. Now to see how long that lesson will stick.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

Can anyone recommend some good youtube videos for learning to hit fairway woods and hybrids? For a guy who totally sucks.

Background: I was never good at golf, a typical guy who shot like 120 and sucked. A month ago I played again for the first time in 2 years, shot a 108 (best score ever), and yesterday shot a 104. I am taking a 5 lesson series called Get Golf Ready. The first week was putting (the one thing I am not terrible at).

I am OK with irons 8 and up (including wedges) and OK most of the time with the 7 and 6. I played yesterday pretty much hitting only my 7 iron and longer. I got paired with a 78 year old yesterday and just hit off the short tees with him. I shot a 104 but the aerated greens cost me at least 3 putts.

I really do believe I can break 100 (from the real tees) before the summer is out, and when I do this will be me at the 19th hole

As a guy who also totally sucks, the only advice I'd heard was that you hit a hybrid EXACTLY how you hit an iron. That's it. It's just an iron with a little more beef on it.

I broke 100 once in my life, last year at a course I'd never even played. I was your posted picture, except it was scotch.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Sataere posted:

When I break 110, it will be a milestone. I can't wait until I learn to not just armswing

I tought myself to not armswing this winter. This has been the most frustrating start to a season ever, because while I spent a LOT of time doing that, it apparently wasn't enough. I basically totally reset any and all golfing progress over my first 2 years playing. I have my new swing, a new set of clubs, AND a crappy grip from carpal tunnel surgery. I have no loving idea how my shots are going to go, but when I make solid contact, I get a LOT more distance over my previous. This time last year my 7i went a pathetic 135y, now it's closer to 160y. Last year I was satisfied with my progress of shooting 105-110, and now i'm back up to 120-125. I committed to my new swing and will not go back, realize it'll pay off hopefully by the end of the year, but right now it's very, very depressing.

The videos I used for inspiration are on youtube, if you search for Paul Wilson's effortless golf swing. Using my Optishot to note progress, my 6i swings went from around 70mph to 90mph.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 10, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I graduated from the Pinemeadow beginner's set that was $140 to a bag full of SLDRs. I got the irons for 400, and paid about 350 for the driver / fairway / hybrid. It's a noticeable difference according to everyone I've let swing them... but I'd say from my little experience that so long as you're not using total poo poo cheapo stuff, you're probably fine. Another friend hits a $150 set of Adams irons and those perform great! My excuse is that it was all an anniversary present, anyways.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Summit posted:

I seem to hit most of my shots "thin" and only get a divot maybe half the time. Not sure how to fix it.

Picking your head up early, or trying to swing too "hard" contracts/tenses up your arm muscles and makes you pull the club up and skull the ball. Telling myself 'stare at it loosely' makes me not make the same mistake 2 shots in a row (I make lots of other mistakes instead).

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Any of you play with a push cart? I don't walk much since almost all the courses around here are cart-only, but it seems like it'd be a smart investment for my long-term back health if I can find a good model on the cheap.

Yes, but infrequently. I have a clicgear 3.5+ , but unfortunately those run around $200. If you plan on using something like that regularly, I'd endorse investing in it.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My favorite is Phil Mickelson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4DevROGzXM getting really pissy about chipping.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I've plugged GolfPad before , and one of the reasons I do is because shot tracking is dead simple even without my nerdy addons like smartwatches and Golf Tags. If you have the app open and you're looking at a yardage with it, you press one button, and your shot position is tracked.

edit: I wish it had the nice postable scorecards that GolfShot does, though.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 2, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

They have the Optishot Golf Simultaor for $250 on the Amazon Prime deals thingie right now, too, if you're fast. It's what I have in my attic.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I've only recently learned that apparently I'm a monster for having so many pairs of cargo shorts. gently caress the haters. I got my balls, tees, divot tool, eCig all ready to go.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Well I and the missus have been trying for 3-4 years now so my golf game has been unhindered.... other than by the weather, and the fact that my league partner just had his first kid. I've played a total of.. 13 holes at a par 3 in Daytona while on vacation, this year. :(

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

mattfl posted:

Did you play on the par 3 executive course on beach side? That's the only par 3 I know of around here.

http://oceansgolfclub.com/

my father in law was hitting tee shots with a putter, some of those greens are 20 yards from the tee box.

edit : while not an amazing place to play, for an rear end in a top hat vacationer it was nice to stop in, be treated very nicely by the guys in the pro shop, and get to half-swing a couple of 30 year old clubs for really cheap.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 20, 2017

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

DJExile posted:

A quick tip nobody's asking for but dammit imma give it anyway: Shorten your gotdang backswing. Giving yourself a huge wound-up backswing is giving yourself a lot of time for things to go wrong.

I'm a terrible golfer but whenever I remember this tip, it helps a lot.. until I forget it again.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

In some WITB news picked up a set of Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons for $90 CDN today which for you Americans is probably like $50 USD. Set is just missing the 9 iron, but has an A Wedge as well as the P Wedge.

well done. my best friend / league partner / guy who badgered me into picking up this stupid game still swings his burner 2 set, swears by them. I'm pretty sure I hit them better than my SLDRs, myself.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Golf Megathread 2017 : The murder comes in a later article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Golf Megathread 2017: Tiger's BAC!