Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Man Jessica Wicks looks older. A+ on that, wardrobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I had high hopes for this episode and it's doing the job so far :allears:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I think complaining about Jamm being out of character for (most of) the second episode is missing the entire point of both Tammys and how they turn their lovers into completely different people.

They set up Jamm/Tammy 2 in the last episode of last season (especially the extended version) and it had too much potential not to revisit. And it was all worth it :allears:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Where she said the most unrealistic bit of dialogue in the entirety of Parks and Rec:

"Grad school's a lot of fun."

I mean, next to that, Kevin James as Jason Bourne is completely believable.

Notice that she's now running her ex-boyfriend's Italian bistro in small-town Indiana.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Khaleesi is marrying Jack Sparrow!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Yeah, the first episode was kind of average for post-election Parks but that second half :3:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

screaden posted:

Another cool little call back was the Norton construction logo on the morning star billboard where brandanaquitz went

It figures that Mark would want to bulldoze Ann's house :smith:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Qu Appelle posted:

I found Jerry/Gary/Terry's Notary Public shenanigans to be unexpectedly hysterical.

There's a digital - exclusive scene on YouTube with more of them if you're so inclined.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I haven't been paying a ton of attention to stuff about tonight's episode but I'm really excited because it's TREAT YO SELF 2017!

Also Perd is in tonight's episode so that's a good sign.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

Is Pawnee about to have its run-in with NSA? :stonk:

Both seem to be really good premises, so it should be fun like the rest of the season.

I kind of assume we'll see why Ron gives in to Leslie in the property dispute tonight, so that might not be a bad excuse for it.

e: I'm really worried that no episode left will be as good as "Ron and Leslie" though :ohdear:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

inthesto posted:

The best would be if Nygard were played by Rob Lowe too.

Quick, somebody call DirecTV and let them know about a great product insertion opportunity!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Dr. Richard Nygard" is the strain of marijuana planted in community gardens across Pawnee.

By the way, it is ridiculous that marijuana is illegal. It grows in the ground! :corsair:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Javid posted:

Leslie resorts to compromises as much or more than she just wins and gets her way. She gets really into the fight, but the fight is only to get what she wants; if she can get it without going to war with a company, she will. Unlike the show's antagonists, she doesn't need to see her opponents crushed, as long as her goals are met. It's pretty admirable. Pulling a compromise out of her rear end that pleases everyone is kind of her signature move at this point.

I'm pretty sure this was the resolution of almost every Leslie vs. Someone Else conflict during the Bobby Newport and Town Council seasons.

When's Bobby Newport coming back, anyway?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

HEY MAN THAT'S MY SISTER

:colbert:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Tom is probably my least favorite character of the main cast and he's been written badly in quite a few episodes (or just hasn't really been given anything to do), but seriously, who thinks that Tom isn't funny in almost every episode?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Pick posted:

I'm worried about the upcoming episode title, Two Funerals :(.

They never said how Chris and Ann were coming back :smith:

But seriously, if it's going to be established characters, it'll probably be, what, Councilman Milton and Ethel Beavers?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Qu Appelle posted:

I just hope this all coincides with Zorp the Surveyor actually coming back to Earth.

Hail Zorp!

Speaking of which, all the remaining Reasonabilists are getting up there in age...*cue spooky recorder music*

Pick posted:

I'm worried about the upcoming episode title, Seven Billion Funerals :(.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

President Mark Brendanawicz.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Bill-Murray-Its-Happening.gif

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

It's not too late for them to renew Parks and Rec for another season... right?

:smith:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I don't know the exact line, but whichever line of Game of Thrones Ben recited while receiving his knighthood.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

King of Foolians posted:

Amazing show, amazing finale.

I'm only kinda bummed we didn't see an epic Craig meltdown. After all his therapy i totally thought they were building to him loosing it in a spectacular way. Glad he got his happy ending though.

(Was Donna at Craig/Typhoon's wedding? Did she ever forgive him for Twittergate?)

Donna introduced Ron and Typhoon to each other after Ron's barber died, so they're at least on speaking terms.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Pick posted:

You should see the things Jane Lynch voices. Dino Time, A Worm's Tale, Space Chimps 2...

She was the first choice for the Grumpy Cat movie too, wasn't she?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Something from Sepinwall's review that I haven't seen in this thread yet:

quote:

“The man seeking Leslie’s help in replacing the park swing was played by Jon Daly from “Kroll Show,” who played the drunk Leslie chased out of the slide in the pilot (glimpsed briefly in the finale’s montage of the parks staff hard at work, Teddy Roosevelt-style).
The idea is that this is the same guy a decade later, having cleaned himself up after hitting rock bottom in front of Leslie, with neither character realizing who the other is.

Not something most people would notice (Daly’s all but unrecognizable in the pilot cameo), but a stealth piece of full-circle casting.”

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

No, but apparently part of Ben's character is that opportunities plop down on his lap without his even trying, so who knows?

This post made me realize what happened:

Ben got elected by running as Barney from the accounting firm's vice presidential candidate.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

It would have been nice for Mark to at least have a cameo in the last season.

The logo from the architecture firm that he left for (or something similarly obscure) pops up on one of the blueprints for the project Ron is trying to build in the first half of the last season.

It's super easy to miss but it's there.

A fitting tribute to Mark, IMO.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Definitely good episodes of Seasons 5 and 6:
  • Ms. Knope Goes to Washington
  • Sex Education
  • Halloween Surprise
  • Ben's Parents
  • Ron and Diane
  • Ann's Decision
  • Emergency Response
  • Leslie and Ben
  • Bailout
  • Animal Control
  • Swing Vote
  • Jerry's Retirement
  • The Cones of Dunshire
  • Ann and Chris
  • Moving Up

Objectively bad episodes of Seasons 5 and 6:
  • Pawnee Commons
  • Correspondents' Lunch
  • The Pawnee-Eagleton Tip Off Classic
  • Doppelgängers
  • Gin It Up!
  • Second Chunce
  • Anniversaries
  • The Wall

Leslie as a councilwoman never lives up to its potential but we still get some good episodes, the recall storyline isn't that great (Are You Better Off? is easily the worst season finale), and the Unity Concert buildup is pretty ehhhh before a good episode closing out Season 6.

I would probably nominate Correspondents' Lunch for consideration as the worst episode of the show.

Late-game Parks and Rec gave us Mona Lisa and Jeremy Jamm and for that I will forgive a lot of things.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

The Wall has my favorite joke in the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ_1RRxY5tg

Plus Jam repeatedly being awesome.

The Wall is probably the strongest episode in my "Objectively Bad" list but the only good things I could remember were the two things you mentioned and Ben's plan to get rich as a drycleaning middleman.

The real sin of Season 6 is that a lot of it is just treading water; you could say the same for Season 5 but at least they had some good ideas before they really started spinning the wheels.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's almost certainly something in Season 1, but Sister City is pretty bad. I actually laughed at some of the Armisen bits last time I watched it, but it really doesn't fit the show at all.

Counterpoint:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I don't really get the dislike for Sister City; it's not the best episode by any means, but Fred Armisen's jokes mostly hit their mark, it's a good early "Leslie takes the high road and stands up for her beliefs instead of making things easy for herself" story, and it's the first time I can remember Donna really getting something interesting to do.

Like it's not a great episode but it's probably at least above anything in Season 1 and it fits pretty well in the context of the show's steady increase in quality through Season Two.

I also can't think of a single good Eagleton episode, which is too bad because I like the idea of Pawnee's Spingfield having a Shelbyville.

e: Since I'm posting so much about this show, I'm also going to take this opportunity to nominate the Snakejuice launch episode as the best episode, though I am willing to entertain arguments for 5,000 Candles.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 7, 2016

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Good stuff in Season 5: the robot congressman b-story.

• Jeremy Jamm
  • Marshall Langman
  • Vice President Joe Biden

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

In the episode where Tom is trying to buy a share of the Snakehole Lounge he says that he wants to start a nightclub; one of his names is Tom's Bistro.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I feel like every Eagleton episode starts off with an okay premise but either the story fails to meet its promise or Leslie acts like a jerk (then learns the same lesson about being nice to Eagleton every episode) in an unfunny way.

The only good Eagleton plotline I can think of offhand that didn't implode was finding out that Leslie was born there and even that owes a lot to Joan Calamezzo and the Gotcha dancers and song.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

And episodes like the filibuster episode are why.

The Season 6 filibuster episode is probably better as a whole but Patton Oswalt gave a much better filibuster than Leslie :colbert:

On the other hand, Jeremy Jamm's margaritas.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

It's all coming true, guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

The year is 2018. America is thriving under President Nick Cannon.

• Locked thread