Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Merauder posted:

My first thought was also something silly related to those frozen vegan meats.
Goddammit, that makes a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I maintain that Leslie is the main antagonist of most of season 6. I don't think you're supposed to sympathize with her for most of the season.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Super Deuce posted:

It's no surprise that people thought the second half of this was better. People like Parks when it's mindless feel good television, apparently. I felt this was a pretty hollow two parter.
The thing is, that wasn't a mindless episode. It was two characters in a room having a serious discussion based on stuff we've learned about them as characters. Leslie and Ben going to Paris was empty. Ron going to Scotland was empty. This was about the most earned you can get with sitcom tearjerking.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rapeface posted:

It was a heartwarming moment that also showed that Leslie knew Ron better than he knew himself.
All the travel stuff in Season 5 felt unearned to me, but honestly this was a bad example. It was the best of the lot.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tonight's episode: Tom and Jerry are locked into a room until they can settle their differences. They so not succeed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

So Dr. Richard Nygard is a real person? Or has Craig been teleconferencing with Chris?
"Dr. Richard Nygard" is the strain of marijuana planted in community gardens across Pawnee.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Where the gently caress is Anne? She wasn't even at Donna's wedding it even mentioned.
She eloped with Mark.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pick posted:

Yeah, but like an hour away or something. It is conspicuous, it's just that they left for a "new town" because they were leaving the show, it's just a thing to accept.
No, I mean she left Chris to run away with Mark. They're squatting in Donna's Denver condo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zedd posted:

Wasn't that in Seattle?
Donna probably owns twoonly one condo.
Right, it was her fiance in Denver.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It didn't work out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

whatever7 posted:

How old was Gary when he "retired" in season 3? The guy is pretty old now. And he worked for the government for 40 years at the time?

My all time favorite Gary joke was when Ben and Christ discussed Gayle and one of them concluded "there is no possible explanation."
I would correct your spelling in that last sentence, but you might still be correct.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So wait, was that the last episode or not?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This guy needs a session with Dr. Richard Nygard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This show loves weddings to the point of self-parody.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Awesome Animals posted:

His first business also failed more or less.
Killed by a younger, stronger business.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

smashpro1 posted:

It's because Tom and Jean-Ralphio blew threw all their money.
I was talking about Rent-a-Swag.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Justin returns from delivering a baby aboard the international space station and elopes with Ben.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jump cut to 20 years later, Leslie and Ben's triplets must fight each other to the death in the Gryzzldome because there is only enough food to sustain one of them.

Leslie and Ben cook up a plot to save them... and cook up a few Pawnee raiders in the process.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Authenticity is important, this is why I only listen to indie talk shows.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Characters on TV aren't a substitute for real life friends and family.

Just felt that needed pointing out.
I married Alf, and we're pretty happy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The contenders for Funniest Scene are Jean-Ralphio's continuous take walkthrough of the accounting firm, Joan Calamezzo's lunch with Tom and Ben, and Get On Your Feet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

But no, wonderful end to a series that unexpectedly became my favourite show on television. Really hope there isn't a long period before I see everyone involved on new projects, especially Amy who I can't believe at one point I didn't think she was the most awesome person ever.
Amy Poehler has an amazing ability to disappear into whatever character she's given, which makes her a great actress but means she has a tough time standing out. I think it's the improv background: she'll just go with whatever's handed to her.

A great finale. I appreciate that Parks and Rec and 30 Rock had the same basic arc, and same problems. They were shows that wanted to be about the characters' goals and aspirations, but got stuck being unable to change the status quo because they're sitcoms. Then, given a final season to finally move things forward, the quality shot way up. I hope this leads people to rethink sitcoms and recognize that you can actually have their characters grow and change in a comedy.

Or just do the Arrested Development thing of demonstrating how they trap themselves in the same lovely cycles forever, but even Arrested Development ends with a dramatic moment of growth.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

whatever7 posted:

Was Tammy II in this season? Did I miss it?
Ron and Jammy, I think it's episode 2.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Karmine posted:

One neat, if a bit unsurprising thing revealed in the finale was that Ben and Leslie are Democrats.

Not that I was expecting otherwise but for a show about politics it always did a really good job of never bringing up Democrats vs. Republicans, and Leslie's party affiliation was always this odd elephant in the room for me.

Also this was the best finale ever for the best show ever, it deserves to be said again.
We don't know Ben's party. Jen Barkley mainly manages Republican campaigns. And both parties are going to run a candidate for an empty governor's seat. Ben is also a strong believer in fiscal responsibility, although not Swanson strong.

Leslie being a Democrat fits with her existing stances on things like soda taxes though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Naet posted:

Agreed. Andy growing exponentially dumber in the last two seasons exacerbated this as well, I think.
I think it's great that his children will get a few years with their father before his degenerative brain disease makes him start calling April "Ann."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jim O'Heir is insanely funny and I hope he gets a ton more work now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

After everything this show has been through, I feel like it would be appropriate if it got a Ben & Garry's ice cream flavor.

All in all a great finale.
Ben Wyatt's Low-Cal Caramel Zone

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Never got to see Richard Nygard.
Yes you did, he was even in the final episode.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The finale really ruined the series' tone as a grounded dramedy about a woman struggling with manic depression.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

whatever7 posted:

What happened to Joan Callamezzo, she should be the one who marry Bobby Newport.
She marries Jean-Ralphio.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Speaking of which, when was the last time we saw Leslie's mother? Did she ever show up after season one?
She was in the Valentine's Day one where Justin and Leslie break up, The Bubble where she hits on Ben, and the Unity Quilt episode.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Javid posted:

Typhoon in his sixty seconds of screen time ever is a more interesting character than Mark was in however many seasons he was on the show.
Four. Mark was on the show for four seasons. People just didn't notice.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Be aware that Party Down is pretty dark especially compared to Parks and Rec. It is not an optimistic show.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

30 Rock is insanely good and the obvious next step after Parks and Rec.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spoeank posted:

My only gripe with P&R is we never got an, "are we having fun yet?"
It bugs me that neither Tina Fey nor Rachel Dratch ever showed up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

Rachel Dratch showed up this season, she was their babysitter in Donna & Joe.
Oh poo poo you're right.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Android Blues posted:

My secret hope was for a Parks and Rec/30 Rock crossover episode, but that dream will have to live on in the fringes of what-might-have-been.
I wanted Tina Fey to show up as Ann's more-successful former best friend, kind if like the Eagleton episode, just to watch fake Liz Lemon and Leslie Knope fight over Ann.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

drainpipe posted:

P&R really is quite unique in it's positive but not saccharine tone.
Bob's Burgers

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reiche posted:

Me and my housemate tried this but neither of us were really interested after 3 or 4 episodes. Does it pick up at all later on?
Yes, the second season is a big improvement over the first. But if the episode with the new 0811 999 etc. number didn't grab you, or at least the episode with the goth, you're probably not going to be that into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

grilldos posted:

Please don't let any of these comments stop you from watching either of these excellent loving television programs.
Yeah, Party Down is still great and Veep is one of my all-time favorite comedies.

Also seconding whoever said the Mary Tyler Moore show, which was a huge influence on both 30 Rock and Parks and Rec.

• Locked thread