Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They're not going to kill off Jerry this isn't some Adult Swim show lol come on. Nor would they allow him to spoil it with a tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Aziz does seem pretty checked out. And the fast pace wrap up and massive fanservice of this season is a little much. BUT at the same time it somehow seems like a perfect sendoff for this show. II wouldn't want another drawn out meandering season like the last two.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't particularly care for the Johnny Karate episode because I think Andy works best by interjecting his comments and antics into regular situations, not basing a whole episode around them. That said, it was also a creative way to give the cast a fun last hurrah, and I wish the show had done more fun episodes like this (The Office had several) especially in season 5 and 6 which really had a lot of filler and could have used it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I do have to agree, during the last 3 seasons, they've had the character's lives play out in an absurdly perfect way to the point where it's become tiresome and boring. I'm still enjoying this season, but its another reason I'm glad its a half-season.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Windows 98 posted:

"I am upset by the fact that fictional characters on a TV show all have happy endings right before it ends. Happy endings never happen in the medium of story telling and doing them is just flat out boring. Why don't they have Garry get hit by a train while picking up a Jellybean? Why not have Leslie get fired and blacklisted from every government job in the country because she went psycho? Why not make Ben mayor again and then have him fail like Icetown only to commit suicide later in the episode? This is bullshit. I didn't watch this show for 7 years just to find out that everything gets tied up with a nice little bow on a gift of happiness and goals being met." - Something Awful Goons

That's not what I'm saying at all. Nothing wrong with happy tied up endings, its just that its been extremely heavy handed and each character has just conveniently had these amazing opportunities just dropped in their lap, not just once or twice, but constantly through seasons 5-7. In comparison, the Office characters had realistic setbacks and hardships and their final situations were more down to earth outcomes, not "every single character becomes a super mega success."

Again, not saying I hate the show now, I'm still enjoying it. It's just a minor critique / personal preference. Also i think it could have been solved by having seasons 5 and 6 shorter and tighter.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
YES I'm so glad they included Jean Ralphio, AND a flash forward!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That was a great finale. Especially the closing moments. :unsmith:

and I guess its up to us what happens to Ben and Leslie after being governor of Indiana.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
drat, Amy Poehler got a lot more attractive as the series progressed.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Something I wish they had done was have the 2025 (was that the year?) reunion conclude with a group photo and mirror that with the final scene of the 2017 group photo.

Phenotype posted:

Ok, so I enjoyed the finale, and I'm glad all the characters we've grown attached to get happy endings, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt like they were watching P&R fan fiction, am I? It just felt, I dunno, just a little too perfect--the episode was a collection of scenes about how LITrally every character on the show ends up accomplishing their dreams and having a wonderful life.

I don't know how they would have fit, say, Tom getting killed in a traffic accident into the optimistic mood of the show, but I thought it was just a little too indulgent to actually timeskip twenty years or more to show how everyone got everything they ever wanted. I think I would have preferred most of the episode to stay in the 2017 "present", and leave more outcomes unanswered. Tom beginning his restaurant expansion, for example, would have been a good stopping point, and leaves it a bit up in the air as to whether he'll continue his success streak. Likewise, we didn't need a real closer for Ron, either--he's always been a rock, and he seemed like he was in a good place running his building company. I appreciated the glimpses into Leslie and Ben's future (and Gerry!), but I think a lot of the others felt like barely-disguised fan service.

I also enjoyed the finale a lot, but the more I think about it, I agree with this to an extent. This entire season was already spent ensuring that each character is set up for success. Everyone leaving Pawnee for their next life step was the real end of the story for these characters and their time with the Pawnee Parks and Rec department, so we already had closure on every story arc with a happy ending. Adding that Andy and April had kids, Garry got elected mayor 4 more times, Donna became loaded and went on adventures, Tom became an author and motivational speaker, and Ron retired with a dream job doesn't really add anything to the story of the show, which is why it does feel like fanfiction.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

grilldos posted:

She had kids during the production of this television program. The kids are long out of her now.

Yeah but as the series progressed she got progressively more attractive. Most of it I'm sure is Hollywood magic, but she also lost a lot of weight.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was actually going to mention Bob's Burgers but decided its too different from Parks and Rec to compare. But its definitely a positive show, and any show where the characters both are believable and don't hate each other stands out these days.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Boywhiz88 posted:

The first season is great.

IMO the first 2 or 3 episodes are a little off-putting, for some reason they go for a lot of shock/gross out humor, perhaps as an attempt to sway the Family Guy crowd. It just comes across as very amateurish.

After that though it finds its voice pretty quickly and is pretty solid throughout.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'd skip season 6 over season 7. I can't remember anything that happened in 6.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I actually thought it was fun and interesting to see what a fictional character that I wish were real and running for president would have to say about it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Did you watch past the first few episodes? Never judge a show by its first few episodes.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I would say that more often than not, the first few episodes of most sitcoms are always a little rocky and rough around the edges, whether because they haven't found their voice yet or they're trying to ease the viewer in with something more basic and familiar before diving in, or something else.

You can use them to gauge whether or not the show is your style, but they shouldn't be used for considering if the show is overrated or not.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Beads.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

NoDamage posted:

Wtf? There are people that don't like Arrested Development's first season?
I didn't mean the first season, I meant the first few episodes, because:

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Pluuuuuuus AD starts from the premise of giving your family a chance because they're family and gently caress that noise

The first few episodes attempt some form of sentimentality before ditching that premise altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
By "off the chain" I assume they meant "crazy and fun" and not a criticism

• Locked thread