Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

drainpipe posted:

Wow, strong start to the season.

Hahahaha. Everyone who doesn't know the backstory should listen to this: http://www.nerdist.com/pepisode/you-made-it-weird-236-harris-wittels-returns/

This was amazing to listen to. Definitely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I like Parks for any number of reasons. Heck, since rewatching through Season 6 for the 3rd time since 6 premiered my thoughts on the show have really changed.

I think it ends up being a natural evolution of these characters. Leslie was this eternal optimist in the beginning, but that's not sustainable. Especially not in government where there are so many factors at play. She loses in some episodes, she wins, she tries to be a rat-fink (especially after she enters the arena for elected office) but she ultimately doesn't compromise herself.

That's what that first episode was about. It shows how much Ron and Leslie have compromised their own values as part of this feud with one another. It's clear enough to everyone else, especially since it's starting to affect their actions as well, and that's why they force them to betray themselves. Do you think Ron Swanson or Leslie Knope from seasons 2 or 3 would have been OK with "quantity over quality?" Both of them choose the same approach their presentations and its against everything they've been portrayed as in earlier seasons. I think that Ron and Leslie's conversation about the interview is there to show the difference about then and now. Leslie didn't back down in the interview, but she also reflected and stepped back and provided an apology. Ron appreciated both of these actions and stepped back and said she should be hired.

Everyone complains about Leslie being mean, etc but she's just human. Sometimes being assertive can look OK and other times it comes off as bossy. Sometimes the person recognizes the difference, sometimes they don't.

No one has complained that Tom isn't any near as lecherous as he used to be, or that April shows compassion, or that Ron has allowed himself to find love and open himself up and admit that he has friends and that he misses them.

"Leslie and Ron" got me in the heart and it's because ultimately the friendships between these people are the real basis of the show. They're all fairly different, sometimes outright oppositional to another, but they care and I've found it to be pretty realistic. Even though it's 4 episodes in, the animosity between Leslie and Ron was so tense because we're invested in their friendship, no different than when you see two good friends that you know go through some tough poo poo.

The band is back together again and it'll be really interesting to see how that affects their plans, and what compromises and situations they'll get into.

I love this season.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 21, 2015

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

With a 13 episode order, does that mean the finale will be an hour?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Oh and I thought it was really clever how they handled the one big complaint people had with Craig in that first episode. This really is the best season.

Also, did you guys know that Jason Matzoukas is deadly allergic to eggs to a crazy degree? So Dennis Feinstein's Allergic probably just has eggs in it

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 28, 2015

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

See also how she deals with Eagleton.

http://youtu.be/4iZOL63vej8?t=2m3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyHVweR7y9Y

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

What if one is Marlene Griggs-Knope :ohdear:

The other could be Tammy Swanson

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Didn't he get a call-out in "Leslie & Ron" too?

EDIT: In the context of the hiring party for April, I thought.

"Aren't you supposed to be a sheep?"
"No.... you are"

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It's funny because people have also talked about how the show is too dark or mean now. Can't please everyone. I'll admit seasons 5-7 haven't been as strong as 2-4 but they're still really good. Compare this show to where season 7 Office was or pretty much anything else that gets this far in. It's been fun to see people's dreams and wishes fulfilled. I like these characters, I want them to live happily ever after.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It was posted about a month back but this: http://www.nerdist.com/pepisode/you-made-it-weird-236-harris-wittels-returns/

It really explains a lot and it's so sad to hear he ended up relapsing and ODing. He seemed like a genuinely nice person :(

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

myron cope posted:

Oh man, that sucks about Harris Wittels. I listened to most of the You Made It Weird show with him on it (the one linked before) a while ago, and I've been meaning to go back and finish. The last part I remember is him talking about how he got out of rehab and then relapsed immediately. I think he was possibly going back? It's going to be pretty weird listening to the rest of it now

He relapsed after the first place and then went to the 2nd quainter place which helped more

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Based on the season so far, I hope tonight is just an hour long of ultimate fan service bringing back every single character who hasn't appeared so far. I just want an hour of absolute dumb fun. I'm gonna guess they probably had time to get an RIP Harris sign card for the end too, which will probably make me cry like a 7 year old kid who got hit by a school bus.

It sounds like there will be an actual tribute after the episode. Reading the Tweets from the P&R crew has been a huge bummer.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I've already pissed tears.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Windows 98 posted:

I don't know if it was mentioned yet but in the directors cut online they have a little extended bit with John Ralfio's funeral. And he and his sister dance slowly away from the funeral for like 30 full seconds before they notice them. And it is perfect.

Yeah, I really wanna it in a gif

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

drainpipe posted:

I've heard underwhelming things about Bob's Burger season 1. Should I watch from the beginning or should I skip some episodes a la Season 1 of P&R?

The first season is great.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

It was not said lightly. And I didn't say better than, just best 1st season since AD. Read nothing about it, just enjoy.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine would like to say hello to you.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I would say that more often than not, the first few episodes of most sitcoms are always a little rocky and rough around the edges, whether because they haven't found their voice yet or they're trying to ease the viewer in with something more basic and familiar before diving in, or something else.

You can use them to gauge whether or not the show is your style, but they shouldn't be used for considering if the show is overrated or not.

Bees?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Merauder posted:

Livid's not on board.

Her?

• Locked thread