Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DatonKallandor posted:

How the gently caress is that still legal? It completely undermines the whole system. I thought Riot had new rules that demand a certain amount of player retention and other stuff to prevent that kind of spot-buying?

You're learning what the rest of the world already knows, that China doesn't give a gently caress about "laws"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

:laffo:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

where did you find this lmao

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

"8 top laners and Wickd" haha.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
What's the deal with Pep Guardiola? Is Fnatic going tiki-taka? Is it some Steelback joke?

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Misfits tried to recruit Quas without asking the Liquid management

Would have been a great upgrade but...good luck with that one.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Misfits tried to recruit Quas without asking the Liquid management

Would have been a great upgrade but...good luck with that one.

I love the fact that even the Daily Dot points out "Misfits isn't a Challenger team yet".

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khbaWnButgY

TSM Legends: MSI Edition is out now.

Just finished it and it was pretty much what I expected. Disappointment + looking to the future to improve.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Never watched these before but I'm pretty impressed with how Locodoco handled the post-match talks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A team with a full time coach, two analysts, and a manager realizes after dominating the North American LCS that maybe it would be a good idea to ask for ganks at specific times, and that players who have difficulty communicating with each other should practice communicating with each other.

Amazing.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 17, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Fish Fry Andy posted:

A team with a full time coach, two analysts, and a manager realizes after dominating the North American LCS that maybe it would be a good idea to ask for ganks at specific times, and that players who have difficulty communicating with each other should practice communicating with each other.

Amazing.

It's not a question of 'realising', these are ongoing player issues they have been aware of for a long time that they are focusing on to fix, but it's not necessarily easy to break bad habits that have been ingrained for years, esp. with Dyrus who is a very quiet person naturally.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Amazing.

It does sound pretty ridiculous. Makes you wonder what the state of the other NA teams is...

Loco seems way too hung up on picks and team comp.

CODChimera fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 17, 2015

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

CODChimera posted:

It does sound pretty ridiculous. Makes you wonder what the state of the other NA teams is...

Loco seems way too hung up on picks and team comp.

Well that's what Loco's kinda paid for going into a match. And P/B was what they got punished for during the split (Picking a full AD comp into Gravity's tank squad por exemple). I think the only team that could really go toe to toe with TSM during the split (In terms of communication, rotations etc) was C9, and they had Hai being unable to keep up with practice to try to keep Bjerg from snowballing to hard.

Basically what I'm saying is that TSM didn't have anyone to really challenge those vulnerabilities they had within the NA scene, except Cloud 9. The other top teams either had the same problem, or only really 'got gud' at the end of the split.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Redmark posted:

Never watched these before but I'm pretty impressed with how Locodoco handled the post-match talks.

I've been pretty impressed with his coaching in general across the series.

Disinterested posted:

It's not a question of 'realising', these are ongoing player issues they have been aware of for a long time that they are focusing on to fix, but it's not necessarily easy to break bad habits that have been ingrained for years, esp. with Dyrus who is a very quiet person naturally.

It's also hard to motivate real change when you're still winning all the time. That's part of why mid-season international tournaments are so valuable.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Calax posted:

Well that's what Loco's kinda paid for going into a match. And P/B was what they got punished for during the split (Picking a full AD comp into Gravity's tank squad por exemple). I think the only team that could really go toe to toe with TSM during the split (In terms of communication, rotations etc) was C9, and they had Hai being unable to keep up with practice to try to keep Bjerg from snowballing to hard.

Basically what I'm saying is that TSM didn't have anyone to really challenge those vulnerabilities they had within the NA scene, except Cloud 9. The other top teams either had the same problem, or only really 'got gud' at the end of the split.

Judging from the video, I think most of them have learned a lot. Dyrus saying not to blame pick/ban, Locodoco and Regi seem pretty switched on to what needs to be fixed.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

CODChimera posted:

Judging from the video, I think most of them have learned a lot. Dyrus saying not to blame pick/ban, Locodoco and Regi seem pretty switched on to what needs to be fixed.

I'm half way through the video, but the feeling I got from Dyrus Vlog and the twitter discussions was that this was basically a giant eye opener because SKT, EDG and AHQ all abused the poo poo out of the points they were weak.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
this video is loving hilarious, huni and reignover talking about UOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQvkG9SSu6g

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

"we prepared 30 pick and ban scenarios - they all failed" Yeah, that's UOL for you.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
How good are Unicorns of Love actually? Are they just a bag of gimmicks or is there real talent there?

KamikazePotato fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 17, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

KamikazePotato posted:

Are LP gains supposed to drop significantly when you get to Diamond? Won my first game and went from 19-21 LP to getting 12. Maybe it's just that it was a 4 v 5 for the last 15 minutes of the game and I irrationally feel like I deserve more from that nonsense.

D5 has a clamping issue to do with when they put in master tier iirc

wrong thread though

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

KamikazePotato posted:

How good are Unicorns of Love actually? Are they just a bag of gimmicks or is there real talent there?

UoL plays differently, but I don't think it's fair to call what they do "gimmicky" or "cheesy" - they're very strong at pick/ban and designing team comps that they think will beat their opponents, and they make up for mechanical deficiencies by doing so. They'll have problems when the rest of the region catches up in that aspect of the game, because their laning and especially map control is suspect, but they should still be a high-tier team even then, especially in Bo3/Bo5 formats.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Their greatest strength is their ability to force the opposing team to play their game on their terms. Put almost any team up against UoL and even if they win UoL will still make them look like they're playing worse than usual.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
They're bad. They're currently bad in an interesting way, but they're still bad.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Savage Cracker posted:

Their greatest strength is their ability to force the opposing team to play their game on their terms. Put almost any team up against UoL and even if they win UoL will still make them look like they're playing worse than usual.

And, based on what's been said by Huni, they don't just make other teams look worse than usual, they make them feel worse than usual. Intentionally or not they've probably got the best mind game in LCS, which is probably why there's the disconnect between what the pros think about them and what analysts do, because it's really hard to quantify the Psychological aspect without playing against them.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Unicorns of Love force teams to play Solo Queue.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
It's only a gimmick when you start losing, until then it's strategy. By now I think it should be clear that a team isn't necessarily playing better just because their games look clean, and vice versa.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
it's not always entirely weirdness and cheese, PoE and Hylissang are actually rly loving good

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The one person on that team I'm really ? on is Kikis. I actually can't say if I think he's a strong jungler or not.

The flash bear slap does own though

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

UoL have a lot of team comps and can catch teams off guard.

Or the enemy team can just not care and keep on doing their own thing to win (that IEM finals versus C9 where C9 just smashed them).

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Niton posted:

UoL plays differently, but I don't think it's fair to call what they do "gimmicky" or "cheesy" - they're very strong at pick/ban and designing team comps that they think will beat their opponents, and they make up for mechanical deficiencies by doing so. They'll have problems when the rest of the region catches up in that aspect of the game, because their laning and especially map control is suspect, but they should still be a high-tier team even then, especially in Bo3/Bo5 formats.

I would go out and say that they're the most... experimental of the LCS teams. The only team that comes close is Gravity, but even gravity sticks to the meta fairly consistently. PoE and Hylisang are mechanically gifted, and I wouldn't be surprised if somebody tries to snipe them, Kikis is where most of the odd innovation comes from. The thing about them is that their champion pool is GIGANTIC, particularly in Kikis and PoE's roles, which allows them a lot of flexibility in baiting out picks.

At IEM San Jose, the main reason they beat TSM in that Bo3 was they baited out the LeBlanc with a Jungle TF. Since then we've seen Jungle Gnar, the first Udyr in the west, dat shaco, and try out Nautilus (also Jungle Sion). But they are brawlers, they will come at you and keep up the pressure, which most teams aren't ready for. I think their main weakness is that they need to have Hylissang on a ranged initiator. The guy is TERRIBLE at thresh it seems (seriously, he's 0/4 in the split and 2/4 in the playoffs with Thresh) and I think it's because he can't just snipe you and let the team finish what he started.

They are also known to play solely at the level of their competition. Against MYM or Giants they were terrible, against fnatic/h2k/Sk they were intensely good. Makes it hard to get a bead on em.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Hyllisang is ironically famous for his thresh play.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think his first pro play games that put them on the map were him playing Thresh pretty well and he's gone full retard on it since. I might be mis-remembering though.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

I think his first pro play games that put them on the map were him playing Thresh pretty well and he's gone full retard on it since. I might be mis-remembering though.

And Poppy... I'm rewatching Lyon v UoL from San Jose and they played Poppy enough in the promotion tournament that she pulled a ban game one (and won them their second game or something? I just remember the TSM and C9 games having the announcers talking about that poppy... then they picked it to go after C9 and got demolished)

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Hyllisang is quite good on Thresh. His poor record on the champion has a lot to do with what is and has always been UoL's biggest weakness: Getting killed while contesting early dragons when they're either behind or have a late game comp while playing against an early game comp. UoL tends to put Hylissang on Thresh when they play late game comps. That's pretty much it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Calax posted:

I think their main weakness is that they need to have Hylissang on a ranged initiator. The guy is TERRIBLE at thresh it seems (seriously, he's 0/4 in the split and 2/4 in the playoffs with Thresh) and I think it's because he can't just snipe you and let the team finish what he started.
???

?????

Thresh is like, one of his two good champions.

I remember watching him during regular season and thinking he was awful. Then against SK he was playing like the star of the team.

He's a former midlaner, and he's picking up support champions pretty well... he's good at hitting certain skillshots (Thresh hook, Morgana binding) but other than that he's not very good. He's had some Annie initiations, too, those were sweet. But his vision control is subpar, and he often gets caught out warding, which I'd attribute to not knowing The Role Of Support as well as he knows how to hit a guy in-lane with a skillshot.

Vardags is a mediocre-to-bad ADC mostly propped up by Hylissang's skillshots.

PoE is really good, one of the best midlaners in Europe. If the team collapses, he'll have a job with basically any team he wants.

Kikis is a good jungler, and has made really great ganks like coming from behind the opposing toplane turret as Udyr, flashing over the wall, taking a tower shot, and stunning the enemy. Or perfectly avoiding wards as Gragas to flash-ult for the only possible initiation that would work. His champion pool is "large," which sometimes means he catches people offguard with a perfect pick (TF) and sometimes means that he plays absolute garbage (Gnar).

Vizicsacsi is fine. Good Sion player.

Their p/b might be the best in the LCS, or at least in the top few. It propelled them way further into the playoffs than their talent would have by itself. It gets handwaved as a bunch of gimmicks, but some of their compositions are really well thought-out, like mid Kog with three peeling champions and Jinx.

People like Monte (who I'm a big fan of even though I disagree with him on this team) just say that UoL are really bad, they play bad, their style is bad, but For Some Reason their opponents keep playing down to their level. The truth is that UoL is a high-variance team, but it's due to their team strategy of playing in a high-variance way. For a young team that wants to have a shot against squads with more experience and more talent, you have to do some high-variance strategies in order to win some series.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
It annoys me that there are so many people trying to downplay UoL as some kind of lovely gimmick when holy poo poo they made it to finals and went head-to-head for the championship. You can't get by solely on getting lucky on gimmicks that way.

UoL are legitimate and I hope they keep up their pick/ban shenanigans, because it always makes the game interesting.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

How Rude posted:

It annoys me that there are so many people trying to downplay UoL as some kind of lovely gimmick when holy poo poo they made it to finals and went head-to-head for the championship. You can't get by solely on getting lucky on gimmicks that way.

UoL are legitimate and I hope they keep up their pick/ban shenanigans, because it always makes the game interesting.
I kind of get the downplaying though; they're such a messy team to watch, and sometimes it seriously seems like they just luck their way into poo poo. That Huni/Reignover interview was kind of illuminating for me, tbh, because until I heard actual respected players be like, 'yeah they're a mind trip to play against', I wasn't quite sure if it was 100% true or just like 50% with a hefty dash of luck.

You do have to respect a team that is so weirdly good at winning fights they should lose that even the top team in the region finds themselves forced to try and play super safe against them. I'm sure that's partly due to Fnatic being a new team, but I don't really care; that just means UoL is a great rival for them. When Fnatic can beat them down every time with no issues, I can see them going into games vs awesome teamfighters like EDG and being able to keep their cool.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
UOL's also still really young in terms of actual LCS experience among all their players. I think all of them could easily take a couple steps forward over the next split in terms of their individual play.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Reminder UoL lost the finals 3-2 and Fnatic lost to SKT 3-2 soooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

curiousCat posted:

Reminder UoL lost the finals 3-2 and Fnatic lost to SKT 3-2 soooooooo

If nothing else UoL beat TSM so they're at least better than Turkey

• Locked thread