Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

a hole-y ghost posted:

i hope a goon dies on everest with a something awful grenade keychain, thats the only way we'll be remembered in the future

eh sure, but can it wait another decade or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sanctum posted:

The way they stay tactful and maintain a tone of respect just makes the whole trainwreck-in-motion more damning as it reaches the conclusion.

These threads got me to read several books and watch more mountaineering documentaries than I can recall. Did I ever post about my brief stint? I was considering climbing Mt. Whitney and trying to get in shape for that. For Whitney I'd have to start at 7,000 ft and climb 7,000 ft elevation in a day. (Ultimately, I never got in good enough condition to make an attempt.) I made a habit of hiking up a nearby 2,000 ft mountain. Not much of a mountain, I know, but I'd go down to the beach first so I could at least start at literal sea-level. I needed to see how I could fare at higher elevations so I took a trip. I started in the grand tetons doing half-day hikes starting at I think 6,000 ft elevation. I'm sure some of you live at higher altitudes than that, but I was coming from sea-level and wanted to give myself room to acclimate. I didn't have much difficulty.

Next I went to yellowstone and did 2 all-day hikes both around 7,000 ft. Finally I went for Mt. Washburn (10,000 ft) and that completely floored me. I ran out of breath in no time at all, then just couldn't catch my breath again.
That's pretty cool. Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier NP all own. That reminds me, I need to make another vacation out that way, been too long. Highest I've climbed is Mt Wheeler, which is really not that hard or tll but I wasn't used to it and the last part to the top was a bitch. I hear you with the breathing thing, I almost gave up but decided to rest for awhile. I've attempted some like Mt Rainier but I could never get that far :( I think I need to work on that

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 13, 2015

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

If I ever end up with a terminal illness I am going to die on Everest.

you wont burden your family with insane funeral costs, and you'll be preserved forever. probaly even a wikipedia entry. win win

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ranbo das posted:

Personally I'm hoping they decide to burn each other for warmth, but who knows, maybe we'll get lucky with a bit of cannibalism.

that is a cool and normal thing that normal people hope for

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

At least some of the posters in this thread genuinely believe they're more interesting and capable than anyone climbing everest

no, none of them think that. they're goons and honestly sadbrained mentally unwell people. i think they're aware that they'll never climb anything more than the step climbing into a shower (ahah yea right goons dont shower)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You'll notice that this image is a funny joke, and not 50 pages of cheerless hectoring and "ironically" wishing death on vacationers

:agreed:. most gbs goons are very unnormal and hosed up, well every goon is but especially gbs goons. unless they're making a funny, then they'd be normal but until then they're just hosed in the head and really unfunny.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

theflyingexecutive posted:

goons goons goon goon goon goons goons goony goon goons

but I am not a goon because

sorry, but as a healthy normal alpha, i need to obsessively point out how loving brokebrained sadbrain unnormal all goons are because that is what we normal people do. a normal behavior

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ethanol posted:

the sierras are just a little mini version but with trees, modern infrastructure and other cool poo poo

just go there and ruin our own country with your unbagged feces

Well that's HDRd and time-lapsed to poo poo. I mean some of the Sierras are cool in the spring when there is snow still but mostly melted with flora blooming, but it often looks like this which still is nice but kind of blurs together in a mix of pine trees, granite and dying shrubbery.

I guess Kings Canyon/Sequoia is cool in the winter too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Feminition posted:

where do mountaineers go after they die?

imgur

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

quote:

Also Monday, Secretary of State John Kerry announced that the United States will commit $9 million more to earthquake relief, on top of an existing commitment of $1 million
So like... 1/1000th of an lovely social media iphone app

cool

e: also the US pledged like 1000x that for the haiti eq, kinda weird. i guess we'll need to save every cent for when theres a big san andreas event that causes hundreds of trillions of damage

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 27, 2015

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Leperflesh posted:

The sources I looked up said three to five hundred, although they might be out of date. It makes sense to keep people from bunching up at the start, though. If you do south-to-north, you're going to do a fair amount of desert walking, which requires hauling gallons of water. Some folks bypass the southernmost stretch and start in the Sierra foothills.

A family that's been friends of my family my whole life used to have a cabin up at Donner Lake; during the summer PCT through-hiking season, they opened it up (for free) for hikers. All they had to do was call from the pay phone at the trailhead and my friends would drive up to the top, pick them up, drive them back to the cabin, feed them, showers, laundry, a place to sleep, and do mail drop. I went up there one year for 4th of July weekend, so I got to help cook and meet the hikers and stuff. It was extremely cool. This was way back in the mid-90s, though. At that time, hikers brought crampons for their early part of the Sierra, because they sometimes had to walk across frozen snowdrifts and stuff where a slip could be really bad. There are also the typical scree slopes with a trail traversing them, stuff like that. Nothing that would require ropes of course, just the normal sorts of terrain you find along High Sierra trails.

I've also personally hiked a ~25-mile stretch of the PCT in the High Sierra, when I was a teenager, along with the dad and one of his sons of that family, plus their dog. (The dog had a little pack, he carried his own food, it was great). We brought fishing poles and fished (didn't catch anything), I bitched and moaned about how heavy my pack was, we accidentally forgot one days' food so we had to do it in three days instead of four (which I also pissed and moaned about). ...it was loving fantastic, and I'll remember it forever. The dad would go on to complete his through-hike, years later, somewhere in his late 40s. I've been jealous ever since: it's something I'd love to do, but probably can't, due to medical issues (mostly, low blood pressure, but also a bad knee).

I wish I'd done it when I was younger. Now I can only encourage others.

That sounds awesome. Being a Californian and loving multi-day hikes, I always wanted to the PCT and I had a chance to do it when I was unemployed for 4+ months after getting my BS and in loving great shape, in which I should have done it. Now I'm way too busy with work and the most I could take off from work is 3 weeks :( I guess when (hahahaha) I retire, I'd have the time but not being as physically able to do it though I plan on being one of those old fuckers who keep out running and biking all the youngster college kids.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Although I just remembered the John Muir trail portion of that, apparently that could be done in 2 weeks and looks to be some of the most gorgeous parts of it anyways. I may try that in a couple years and blow my vacation hours while I'm still young enough to do it quickly.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Rodnik posted:

It can be done in 2 weeks but even the most crazy people I met up there were doing 18 days at the least. 2 Weeks is like if you only feel like putting yourself through actual hell and don't want to enjoy yourself along the ride.

Yeah I could do 3 week vac so that's okay.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lmao. yesss lets climb over the icefalls while it's still highly unstable and lot of aftershocks that could happen. nothing can go wrong, i'm invincible and rich

:getin:

e: aren't there still like 200 people missing? which is basically 218 people left dead.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
it's all about ground motion variability. a mag 5 could be as damaging as a mag 6 if there's just the right gm amplification or other near field effects. it's not likely, but it could happen--especially if the 5 is 1000x more likely to happen than a 6. this is what probabilistic seismic hazard assessment is about--weighing chance of occurring, variability and potential spectral accelerations, yea sure an 8 means gently caress thats a lot of energy but it just depends on the actual motions produced. generally subduction zones produce huge earthquakes but their motions are usually dampened quickly and don't have the right frequency content to wreck havoc on buildings that are susceptible (usually these buildings have periods of 0.1-0.4s) to damage--but there could be some freak attenuation like at mexico city which was 300km away

mmi is an ok qualitative quantifier for post-damage but theres a lot of bias in what gets reported, when it's asked, different cultures respond a bit differently to initial "feelings", etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Venusian Weasel posted:

Tired of normal cave diving and looking for a challenge? Boy, do I have just the place for you!

It's been sealed off from the surrounding world for nearly 5 million years. Oxygen only makes up 10% of the air, and it all comes from sulfate-oxidizing bacteria, which grow in a thick layer on the water. The air is thick with carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide, and visits are limited to under 6 hours to prevent kidney failure.

That was actually insanely cool to read. That's pretty loving amazing something like that exists.

• Locked thread