Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I've been looking for that image. Does anyone know the mountain and icefall well enough to do a little MSPaint job indicating where the avalanche came from, how far down the glacier the snow came, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Dely Apple posted:

Google recently put up a really cool view of the Khumbu region area. Which is now sort of sad to browse through, isn't it.

I always thought it'd be really neat to visit one of those Everest inns and not climb the drat thing, but just take in the amazing view of the Himalayas as I vomit into a bag from altitude sickness.
I've wanted to trek the Annapurna Sanctuary since forever, but it looks like Kathmandu being all hosed up will seriously impede tourism for awhile. Which sucks a lot from a spoiled-arrogant-first-up-against-the-wall Westerner perspective, but is also a drat shame because of how much revenue they'll lose when they need it most. loving bummer.

Seriously though, if you want to gawk at the Himalayas and do some high-altitude hiking (and puking) the Annapurna Sanctuary is where it's at. Look.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

spite house posted:

Seriously though, if you want to gawk at the Himalayas and do some high-altitude hiking (and puking) the Annapurna Sanctuary is where it's at. Look.

When you live in a city you kinda forget sometimes the world can look that way.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

spite house posted:

I've wanted to trek the Annapurna Sanctuary since forever, but it looks like Kathmandu being all hosed up will seriously impede tourism for awhile. Which sucks a lot from a spoiled-arrogant-first-up-against-the-wall Westerner perspective, but is also a drat shame because of how much revenue they'll lose when they need it most. loving bummer.

the sierras are just a little mini version but with trees, modern infrastructure and other cool poo poo

just go there and ruin our own country with your unbagged feces

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

quote:

any good documentaries about annapurn or other non-everest mountains?

Touching the Void is about a dude with the worst loving luck on a mountain called Siula Grande. Best climbing documentary imo.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I saw that one already, it was rad

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
There's always the ones about the K2 disaster, think someone mentioned them last page or something. I don't think there are really any for Annapurna, which is too bad.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Necros posted:

im sure all the people who are regulars itt already know, but this guy owns and pretty much runs up mountains that kill nearly half the people who make it to the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gVkWlr_Yog

Wasn't he planning to do that for Everest this season?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ethanol posted:

the sierras are just a little mini version but with trees, modern infrastructure and other cool poo poo

Well that's HDRd and time-lapsed to poo poo. I mean some of the Sierras are cool in the spring when there is snow still but mostly melted with flora blooming, but it often looks like this which still is nice but kind of blurs together in a mix of pine trees, granite and dying shrubbery.

I guess Kings Canyon/Sequoia is cool in the winter too

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Those aren't the Sierra Nevadas, there's water and snow :colbert:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Touching the Void is about a dude with the worst loving luck on a mountain called Siula Grande. Best climbing documentary imo.
his favorite mountaineering music(in a new window)

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I wish dumb people would stop bringing up the retarded and impossible hypothetical situation of K2 ending up taller than Everest.

Not gonna happen and you're not the first to bring it up. Stfu.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sierra Nevadan posted:

I wish dumb people would stop bringing up the retarded and impossible hypothetical situation of K2 ending up taller than Everest.

Not gonna happen and you're not the first to bring it up. Stfu.

Actually you stfu bitch I will make it happen

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

gently caress you, I will use my faith and god to raise that mountain so it will be the tallest.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Xaris posted:

Well that's HDRd and time-lapsed to poo poo. I mean some of the Sierras are cool in the spring when there is snow still but mostly melted with flora blooming, but it often looks like this which still is nice but kind of blurs together in a mix of pine trees, granite and dying shrubbery.

I guess Kings Canyon/Sequoia is cool in the winter too

Dely Apple posted:

Those aren't the Sierra Nevadas, there's water and snow :colbert:
huh that's cool well here's some pics that I took in the sierras in august

obviously a very hostile environment, in this one I decided to actually traverse the ice. It was almost suicide and I'm a bout ready for everest

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Rolex did a pretty interesting travelogue about a Swiss team climbing Annapurna (not quite to the top):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgqaZRCcJl4

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Madcosby posted:

I remember in Touching the Void, Joe Simpson talks about how solo climbers are kinda taboo in the climbing world, but I cant remember the logic behind why

Pretty sure it was because solo climbing is generally considered suicidal. If any goes wrong, you're basically hosed. When you climb with a group the odds of dieing horribly are significantly less likely, assuming you have confidence in the skill level of your partner.

Also I highly recommend the Touching The Void documentary. Its really interesting and morbid, but you don't even have to feel bad about it in the end because both of the guys miraculously got out alive.

Tralalalala :suicide:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

The green section is the basecamp area, and it was some quantity of the Pumori ridgeline that came down.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

gannyGrabber posted:

Does anybody know what the current death tool on Everest is for this year..?

Avalanche!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Veskit posted:

To play devil's advocate this dumb mountain brings in a lot of tourist dollars so it's smart of them to throw them a line up on that mountain to maintain their economy. It'd be a PR disaster to just stand up all of your customers on a mountain because you have a loving country to save or some bullshit.

Eh, it would be a PR disaster to let local citizens die while limited government resources are diverted to rescue foreigners too. Tourists bring in money, but often the locals despise them. Nepal is a parliamentary system, so they do have to pay attention to how things will look to the voters. There absolutely will be stories of kids and grandmas dying after being trapped in the rubble for days, and people will be looking for someone to blame.

The tourists will come back regardless. Proving that everest is still really dangerous and not just a crappy theme park for boomers with a bucket list will make it even more attractive for some people.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So David Breashears went up to film in 1996 and again this year, right? Because if so, if I ever head to Everest and see him there setting up the cameras, I think I will try something safer like K2 or Annapurna.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
His camera was really a photon gun, shooting his avalanche rays at the mountain in a desperate bid to make K2 taller.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

As a computer programmer, I can safely say Everest is gay

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Everests is a fail mountain.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Everests is a fail mountain.

not much win for those dead climbers lol

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

where do mountaineers go after they die?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Feminition posted:

imgur

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lmao a bunch of rich people died "cause its there"

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Feminition posted:

mostly they just stay up there and become a landmark for other climbers

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Feminition posted:

like the crevasse or something?

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Venusian Weasel posted:

Wasn't he planning to do that for Everest this season?

i dont think so. last time i heard him talk about everest he said he had no plans to go back any time soon after almost getting murdered. his ankle is broken right now too.

do the people who hang out in here really hate him? when i was following one of the older threads during the time that poo poo went down i dont remember people feeling that way. Idunno if i buy the whole thing about him knocking ice onto the guys setting rope. the guy who supposedly had his face bruised at first said it was from him slipping or something. pretty sure thats what he told the government investigation officials too. it wasnt until later it started circulating that it was from ice knocked down by stecks team.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

ethanol posted:

Skip this, come to Canada instead. Here's some pics by your's truly.

We want more tourist dollars because Harper cut almost all our funding and now people are going in and poaching our bears and everythings dying because all our rangers and scientists were fired :smith:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Picnic Princess posted:

We want more tourist dollars because Harper cut almost all our funding and now people are going in and poaching our bears and everythings dying because all our rangers and scientists were fired :smith:

Oh great, now everyone knows where to go if they want to poach bears.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I want to go to Canada but I'm a poor third-worlder

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

This is the most straight forward glacier I ever saw.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

A polite glacier, one that just wants to get to Tim Hortons and roll up their lid to win some Timbits.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it looks far too dangerous to me, it could fall . stay away from that thing

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

"@AlexGAVAN posted:

Stranded climbers evacuation from camp1&2 continues. 3 helis fly non stop. Only 2 people per shuttle due to high altitude. Weather good.

I had half hoped they would make an epic descent of the new icefall but uh, I can see why doing that isn't viable. Kinda surprised that finding three helicopters and flying them non-stop is. :homebrew:

Also, the total dead on Everest is now pretty stable at 22. Who is the winner?

Blitter fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 27, 2015

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Update on the Langtang village situation: https://www.facebook.com/rachel.buckner.334/videos/o.1618410661725880/10153003894928411/?type=2&theater

This is from someone who was there the night before so the numbers may be wrong, but there were around 300-400 people in the village and she believes there's at least 40 survivors. A lot of Europeans in that village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Blitter posted:

I had half hoped they would make an epic descent of the new icefall but uh, I can see why doing that isn't viable. Kinda surprised that finding three helicopters and flying them non-stop is. :homebrew:

Also, the total dead on Everest is now pretty stable at 22. Who is the winner?

Aren't there still a whole bunch of people unaccounted for? Or have they been found?

• Locked thread