Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I've been wanting to play around with and look at a 3D model of Everest to get a better sense of scale, but I didn't think to use Google Maps until today.

https://goo.gl/maps/D4ZCF

There's the link, if anyone else is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Mountains, caves, skiing... ah gently caress it, let's combine all three.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Chard posted:

has anyone died yet

No climbing until... march? april? I think

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0LILXfwhdk

http://i.imgur.com/nc1nRgs.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/VbaQqRh.gifv

Seeing a bunch of avalanches and people falling off mountains lately. I got a bad (good?) feeling about Everest this year, guys.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

4. I'm a low roller. :effort:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I'm sticking with my 4 vote, but I'll give Sherpas one (1) and Tourists three (3) of those deaths.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

I own a ton of books about mountaineering and didn't see these mentioned:

Nanda Devi: The Tragic Expedition

Willi Unsoeld was one of the first Americans to make a name for himself as a Himalayan climber. He named his first daughter Devi because he glimpsed Nanda Devi on a trip and decided to name his first daughter after the mountain because of its beauty. In 1976 he organized an expedition to climb Nanda Devi with a bad mix of experienced Himalayan climbers and relative newbies. His daughter Devi is one of the newbies. Things don't end well.

drat I looked up the Wikipedia article for this guy. Loses nine of his toes summiting Everest in the 60s, loses his daughter in the ascent of Nanda Devi, is asked at his home (where a picture of Devi was over the fireplace) how he could continue climbing after losing his daughter, Willi responded: "What – you want me to die of a heart attack, drinking beer, eating potato chips, and watching a golf tournament on TV?", and then died in an avalanche on Mt. Rainier.

That's some seriously suicidal dedication to mountain climbing.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Rondette posted:

Hey, if anyone has a spare $79k it might not be too late if you can squeeze a few days hiking training in then fly to Tibet!

http://www.alpenglowexpeditions.com/expeditions/everest-north-side-rapid-ascent

quote:

We have seen that over 30% of climbers on other teams head home long before attempting their summit push on Mt. Everest. This is generally for 3 reasons, all tied to the amount of time teams take “acclimatizing” on the mountain: the multiple trips up and down the mountain during acclimatization cause the climber to reassess the risk and go home, the climber’s weight loss, chronic sickness and progressive weakening at altitude cause them to call off the trip, or a family or work issue at home takes priority.

:roflolmao:

Normally people begin to realize how stupid wasting your life to climb a giant frozen rock is, so we charge more and have you do it in a riskier, shorter amount of time to keep you from deciding not to become a statistic!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I can only hope that the Earthquake causes the land around Everest to settle, and makes K2 the world's tallest mountain.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Also, lots of reports that there's an expected aftershock that will rival or dwarf the first 7.8 earthquake. Nepali TV is warning it could be as high as 9.0+ on the Richter scale, so Nepal and Everest aren't out of the woods yet.

e: Ah, better reign that back.

quote:

Update 14:28 UTC : The usual CRIMINAL rumors are already circulating. DO NOT BELIEVE them. Aftershocks can be expected but nobody can predict how strong they will be and when they will strike. Strong aftershocks can go on for days and even weeks or months. Every region in the world has different aftershock patterns. We reacted strongly against this tweet (we have to do it all the time! and all over the world)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

so after the volcano and the earthquake, if the natural disasters keep going until the apocalypse, does the 7 billion guy win the pool

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

It's hard to find a lot of good sources and citations on these figures, but the lowest I've seen is 10 dead, up to 18 dead, with anywhere from 50 to 100 missing.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

It's been posted a few times but this is probably the most useful twitter feed for up to date information from base camp.

https://twitter.com/NorthmenPK

Some good news, from Annapurna

quote:

Northmen PK @NorthmenPK · 2h 2 hours ago
#Annapurna all climbers on summit push are safe in camp 2 and 3 except one who need heli evacuation (Chris Burke). #NepalQuake

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What happened to base camp?

A bunch of things fell off the mountain, destroyed the khumbu icefall, and the rest of the avalanche sweept across the most forward base camp

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Decrepus posted:

If I died I would have been so pissed off lol

if I died, I would be dead

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I heard on the NPR that there've been several small aftershocks.

Do you think the guys trapped on Everest felt them? Trapped in their little tents, calculating just how long they can live on what food they have, over and over again?

it's more an issue of surviving hypothermia/dehydration

eventually you run out of gas for your stove and you're forced to eat snow til you die, probably

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

HoAssHo posted:

Aside from a few sociopaths, nobody's cheering for more deaths.

edit: Not seriously, anyway. I hope.

the only people being serious are the people whining about posts on a comedy forum

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I think I'd stick with my guess of "3 survive earthquake, die escaping mountain," but who the gently caress knows with the possibility for some aftershocks loving things up further.

at the very least, we have natural selection at work. only the True Mountaineers and Sherpas will escape the newer, more rugged, less tourist friendly Everest featuring no wheelchair access through the icefall

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

What's the magic number so we can pop some Champagne and celebrate a Record Season?

quote:

In the entire season, twelve people died trying to reach the summit, making this the deadliest day and the deadliest year on Mount Everest until the sixteen fatalities of the 2014 Mount Everest avalanche. The 1996 disaster gained wide publicity and raised questions about the commercialization of Everest.

So, deadliest day, deadliest season is still up in the air. Almost there!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

HiHo ChiRho posted:

How dare you all make fun of people who died on that mountain. Has this forum no shame?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I AM BRAWW posted:

I don't know how to cook, I live on my own, and I've come up with every excuse in the book to justify my toxic behavior for the better part of my adult life. I've made self deprecating "fat guy" jokes for as long as I can remember but have started hearing similar comments from my colleagues at work, my family, and friends over the last few weeks.

Today it hit home that, joking aside, I AM the fat guy and it's NOT cute. My insides are pickled, I run a myriad of health risks that I don't even know exist, and am absolutely certain that I'll suffer some sort of complication if I don't make an effort to change my life.

I can't really cook but I can learn. I don't know what I'm doing but I'm prepared to pick it up as I go. I'm pretty ashamed of my shape and it's caused me to change from an otherwise fun extrovert to a deeply private introvert over the span of a decade. I hate summer because I can't cover up my chest and belly but winter forces me to layer and look like a whale.

Succinctly, I want my life back.

The fat jokes are over.

Wish me luck, SomethingAwful.com

Today's top stories: thousands die in earthquake, dozens die on mountain, and after the break: the Everest workout plan, is it for you?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

quote:

Important Update 12:47 UTC : We try to keep you informed about the areas outside Kathmandu, but except for the Everest area where International climbers are active there is almost NO NEWS to gather. We are really ashamed about this but this is live as it is in 2015. Additionally cruel in this case is that the hardest hit Gorkha-Lamjung epicenter area has only been visited by helicopter this morning. We have however NO news from this area. At least hundreds are feared dead in this mountainous area of Nepal.

So, figures will get a lot, lot worse as international efforts try to make headway to visit remote villages. The lack of communication is probably why all the sherpas immediately ditched to make it back to their home villages.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/592204405455265792/photo/1

And some CCTV footage of what the 7.9 quake looked like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GTqmHOdDs0

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Fooma posted:

Why isn't anyone asking important questions, like is green boots safe? Its going to be a harder climb if all the old trail markers have been moved.

At least people on the mountain still have twitter access

https://twitter.com/danielmazur/status/592232244665679873

Green boots was in a cave, so hopefully he is safe from any avalanches. He may be buried, however, meaning he'll never see the light of day again for a few decades until global warming melts him. :rip:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Demonachizer posted:

It is pretty cool and edgy that your username has 1488 in it. I bet you are a hit with the ladies. Can you please tell us about your (un)ironic views about white power? It is a hilarious thing to joke about hitler since he only caused like 9 million innocent people to be put to death in labor camps.

Lmfao

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I saw a quote elsewhere from a climber complaining about the "superstitiousness" of the Sherpas. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me for them to say "Wow, one major avalanche, aftershocks continue, I'll go check on my family, thanks."

lmfao

i'm not superstitious at all and I'd still never touch that loving mountain again after it tried to kill everyone on it two years in a row

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

keevo posted:

Don't think this video has been posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JC_wIWUC2U

this video... is in tents

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

You are only allowed to be concerned for Nepal or everest and not both. Sorry.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

Urban camo seems like a bad choice for mountaineering/rescue team uniforms.

yeah, they should've used their non-camouflaged arctic military equipment

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

mikemil828 posted:

Note: Everest shrank an inch due to the earthquake, so it's not even as big of an accomplishment as it was a couple years ago.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/mt-everest-shrank-nepal-quake-lifted-kathmandu-n351271

it's practically a whole new mountain

the world first for "first person to climb New Everest" is up for grabs folks!!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Have all the Sherpas form a human train and carry everest piece by piece to somewhere warmer and easier to access

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

All I can see in this picture is someone exploiting a game mechanic using a rail gun.

If you tilt your head to the right, he's just falling down in some dude's rocky field.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

thank you for sharing this

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I'll kickstart the STOP! GO NO FURTHER! grim reaper sign to prevent people from suicidally diving it

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Can't wait til they build a space elevator to the top and I can sit there eating a gotdamn sammich in my flip flops while staring at these hobos going "welp our 5 minutes is up gotta get back while we have enough oxygen to not die and be forever memorialized on this dumb gay mountain"

First Man To Climb Everest In A Wal-Mart Scooter

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The North Tower posted:

Anyone know what the death total is? I need to figure out how many books I need to send out to the winners January 1st.

actually a good question. most of the reports I can find on the matter only list early counts, but most of the death totals coming several days after the quake seem to count anywhere from 18 to 22 deaths at a minimum. the best tally I can find of confirmed fatalities is

16, died on Everest
Renu Fotedar
Ge Zhenfang
Lhakpa Chhiring Sherpa
Shiva Kumar Shrestha
Pema Hissi Sherpa
Dawa Chhiri Sherpa
Chhimi Dawa Sherpa
Pemba Sherpa
Milan Rai
Pasang Temba Sherpa
Tengien Bhote
Khrishna Kumar Rai
Dan Fredinburg
Marisa Eve Girawong
Vinh Truong
Tom Taplin

2, died in Kathmandu from injuries sustained from the avalanche on Everest.
Yomogato Horoshi
Jangbu Sherpa

???
1 or 2 unidentified bodies at last count

sources:
http://www.explorersweb.com/everest_k2/news.php?url=everest-names-of-avalanche-victims_1430306452
http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2015/04/27/everest-2015-ebc-death-update/
http://www.nepalmountaineering.org/...20Mt.%20Everest

However if the contest is still running until January 2016, there's still possibilities for deaths in the upcoming Fall Everest Climbing season.

e: There may also be a large number of people still missing?

http://www.nepalmountaineering.org/...%20April%202015

Minera fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 14, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

i recommend photoshopping yourself into nearby mountain hiking trails

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

well *looks down at fingers to count* oneth time's the charm

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Huh. That'll have some implications to go with it. Would the japanese dude that's failed to summit twice now fail to get a permit now? How disabled is too disabled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The real question is what 6500m+ peak will become the new burial grounds training grounds to carry people up, so they can qualify for everest and pay for the second expedition package?

• Locked thread