Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I am going to use dynamite to blow a few hundred feet off of the top of Mount Everest to make K2 the highest mountain in the world

In my totally uneducated and uninformed opinion this will definitely alter the height of Everest

Fingers crossed for making it ~200m shorter but that is quite a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

You know whats worse than this? Valve suddenly selling Skyrim mods that were previously free!!!

Listen mister, we're in the process of counting the dead, judging their character, grieving and such, and I think it's drat poor taste for you to come in here complaining about the price of bits!

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Everest is cool and climbing it is cool as well.

Hope that those that chose to climb it are all alive and well.

gently caress you guys who are so disconnected from reality you can't feel empathy for someone just because they have more money than you.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

Magnus Gallant posted:

gently caress you guys who are so disconnected from reality you can't feel empathy for someone just because they have more money than you.

it's not about the money dumbass, people of all means kill themselves in spectacular fashion doing pointless extreme sports all the time. sorry you found yourself in this thread; it must be hard to be happy when your heart is bleeding

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002

Minrad posted:

And some CCTV footage of what the 7.9 quake looked like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GTqmHOdDs0

:aaaaa: That building moves like 8 feet vertically.

I'm really glad I live in the midwest where I'm not at much risk of the land itself coming apart.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Magnus Gallant posted:

Maybe time for a reminder that everyone here is stinking rich compared to anyone living in Nepal?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Magnus Gallant posted:

That's pretty heartless of you to be spending so much time worried about the <70 people stuck on Everest with enough money and Western support that they will get the best possible aide, given their situation.

You should be probably be more concerned about the >2000 dead in Kathmandu with no money and not nearly enough aide. I can tell you don't care because you're not in the "Earthquake in Kathmandu" thread, you're in the "Rich people on Everest" thread

Sorry you're so racist \/:smith:\/

ante fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 26, 2015

AnxietyMan1488
Apr 6, 2015

by Cowcaster

Novo posted:

it's not about the money dumbass, people of all means kill themselves in spectacular fashion doing pointless extreme sports all the time. sorry you found yourself in this thread; it must be hard to be happy when your heart is bleeding

Well, there isn't a 50 page thread on something awful where people post videos of guys breaking their spines by loving up a skateboard trick, although a thread like that would probably be popular because gbs posters apparently love to watch people get severely injured and/or die

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002

AnxietyMan1488 posted:

Well, there isn't a 50 page thread on something awful where people post videos of guys breaking their spines by loving up a skateboard trick, although a thread like that would probably be popular because gbs posters apparently love to watch people get severely injured and/or die

Yeah there is

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683302

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Arclyte posted:

I'm really glad I live in the midwest where I'm not at much risk of the land itself coming apart.

Nope, you just might get buried by tons of pyroclastic ash by surprise one day..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/supervolcano/

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 26, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

hey its not like we can do much about it so might as well laugh at it

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat
if there were a skateboard festival every year that resulted in fatalities and amateur video of people taking stupid risks mostly because they can, there would be a gbs thread. i look forward to seeing you all in the next gathering of the juggalos thread too, where i assume you'll be scorning us for making fun of people who are just getting outside and doing things with their lives

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it's not like americans getting hurt on funny home videos would make really successful tv show or anything

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

AnxietyMan1488 posted:

you're right the schaden thread has 250+ pages

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AnxietyMan1488 posted:

The difference is, that they made funny videos with yakety sax in them and photoshops, etc., instead of posting gory pictures of the casualties and writing huge manifestos about how they deserved to die because they were probably rich.

There were funny photoshops of the dumb Canadian lady who photoshopped herself onto an easily accesible mountain as part of Everest "training" though. Also care to quote any of the posts full of gory pics? Cause the only corpses I've ever seen in here are ice mummies.

Its almost like you guys haven't even read the the thread you are whining about!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If attempting to skateboard in a big skateboard tourney or something carried with it an approximately 1/20 chance of being killed, and also cost $50,000, and also most of the people competing had literally never stood on a skateboard before, but were "competing" by having impoverished foreigners hold them on their skateboards and push them up the ramps and off the ledges and stuff, and carry all their equipment, and those same foreigners spent a couple months before the tournament setting up all the equipment and some of them sometimes died setting up that equipment, and then all the skateboarders covered the skateboard park in their own garbage and poo poo constantly because attempting to carry their own trash back down the skateboard ramp would probably kill them

then yeah maybe there'd be a thread about how we all think what they're doing is really bad and that when they die, they basically deserved it. Yeah.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

If attempting to skateboard in a big skateboard tourney or something carried with it an approximately 1/20 chance of being killed, and also cost $50,000, and also most of the people competing had literally never stood on a skateboard before, but were "competing" by having impoverished foreigners hold them on their skateboards and push them up the ramps and off the ledges and stuff, and carry all their equipment, and those same foreigners spent a couple months before the tournament setting up all the equipment and some of them sometimes died setting up that equipment, and then all the skateboarders covered the skateboard park in their own garbage and poo poo constantly because attempting to carry their own trash back down the skateboard ramp would probably kill them

then yeah maybe there'd be a thread about how we all think what they're doing is really bad and that when they die, they basically deserved it. Yeah.

You're the Mount Everest of posters

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

AnxietyMan1488 posted:

It is pretty cool and edgy that your username has 1488 in it. I bet you are a hit with the ladies. Can you please tell us about your (un)ironic views about white power? It is a hilarious thing to joke about hitler since he only caused like 9 million innocent people to be put to death in labor camps.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Cool glad to hear it

AnxietyMan1488
Apr 6, 2015

by Cowcaster

Demonachizer posted:

It is pretty cool and edgy that your username has 1488 in it. I bet you are a hit with the ladies. Can you please tell us about your (un)ironic views about white power? It is a hilarious thing to joke about hitler since he only cause like 9 million people to die.
My name refers to the Battle of Sauchieburn, which took place in the year 1488, but thanks for revealing your in-depth knowledge of neo nazi culture, I guess? :confused:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

These are very funny thanks for reading this post.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I think I'd substitute in 'asking for it', but yeah, lol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Magnus Gallant posted:

You're so disconnected from reality that you can't even tell we just enjoy the stories of idiots doing things they shouldn't be doing. We aren't actually wishing for the deaths of all people in Nepal like you're hoping we are.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

AnxietyMan1488 posted:

My name refers to the Battle of Sauchieburn, which took place in the year 1488, but thanks for revealing your in-depth knowledge of neo nazi culture, I guess? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1488

Choose another one instead history buff and Something Awful poster "AnxietyMan 14 words Heil Hitler"

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

You're so disconnected from reality that you can't even tell we just enjoy the stories of idiots doing things they shouldn't be doing. We aren't actually wishing for the deaths of all people in Nepal like you're hoping we are.

Hmmm except you are?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Please everyone stop it I hate it when you and daddy fight

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Demonachizer posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1488

Choose another one instead history buff and Something Awful poster "AnxietyMan 14 words Heil Hitler"

what about AnxietyMan APRIL 25 2015 NEVER FORGET

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Magnus Gallant posted:

Hmmm except you are?

This is the weakest trolling I've seen in ages. "Oh you say you're not dumb? WELL HAHAHA YOU ACTUALLY ARE!!! drat I'm good. :smug:"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I can't tell who's on what side of the argument anymore.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Butt Wizard posted:

This is one of the better threads in GBS so please don't gently caress it up.

Butt Wizard

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Magnus Gallant posted:

Hmmm except you are?

Welp, that's it. You got me. I've effectively been defeated with your "nuh uh you are" technique. You win. You're the shittiest person in GBS.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Renegret posted:

I'm on the side of the mountain... And I'm holding on for the ride to be honest.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Welp, that's it. You got me. I've effectively been defeated with your "nuh uh you are" technique. You win. You're the shittiest person in GBS.

Wow I've never won anything before.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Demonachizer posted:

It is pretty cool and edgy that your username has 1488 in it. I bet you are a hit with the ladies. Can you please tell us about your (un)ironic views about white power? It is a hilarious thing to joke about hitler since he only caused like 9 million innocent people to be put to death in labor camps.

Lmfao

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I just want to laugh at dead people, is this a crime?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Renegret posted:

Its bad when some people die, but it's also good when other people die. We live in a world of contrasts.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I'm glad of all the cis people dying on Mount Everlest.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
So any actual news today? It's gotta be just about midnight there.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

I just want to laugh at dead people, is this a crime?

it's been an annual tradition in mexico for thousands of years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Latest (meaning 3 hrs ago) from Dan Mazur:

quote:

Icefall scouts back w/ news: GOOD: route is there. BAD: it sustained damage. V BAD: icefall Sherpas bc gone; ran away to Namche!

I saw a quote elsewhere from a climber complaining about the "superstitiousness" of the Sherpas. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me for them to say "Wow, one major avalanche, aftershocks continue, I'll go check on my family, thanks."

Report from Sarah Stirling at Everest North Camp

quote:

Our main concern is the Sherpas and their families. When the quake first struck they were high fixing camps. They are back now reporting crevasses opened, route changes and slopes sliding. They are keen to contact their families in Kathmandu but no communication channels are working.

They also have no news of their relatives working on other mountains. Minute by minute the scale grows. Already the worst mountaineering incident in history. We had just returned from higher up the mountain to base camp for a five day rest.

• Locked thread