Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i think everest is really, really interesting, as well as cave diving and such, just from the perspective of reading about something i'd never do; i mountain ski but that's about as close as i get, and i hate caves

what i dont understand though is that if so many people have already climbed and conquered this mountain (to the point where there are legit issues with trash and lines) why is there still such congestion? you'd think the folks who are after the status of it all would be looking at k2 with hungry eyes, given its notorious reputation. have the amounts of people going to everest only increased over the past 10 years or so? seeing the rates of attempts on each of the eight-thousanders compared against each other would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

jhorphear posted:

Because you can pay some to figuratively carry you up Everest, i don't think they offer that service on K-2. Also, 77% of attempts to climb Everest have append since 2000.

poo poo i didnt think it was that much. no wonder they're having so many problems.

also that makes sense @ k2. i don't doubt it's still insanely hard to go up everest even with a sherpa but that's gotta attract people who wouldn't look twice otherwise.

e: VV christ

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

cat everest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_zRPWyATZw

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Minrad posted:

Mountains, caves, skiing... ah gently caress it, let's combine all three.

awgh. naw!

i love it when i go skiing and see people up in the rocky cliff areas at the peaks. there's always a couple of them, and usually one of them standing there looking confused between two giant rock faces, wondering where to go and deeply regretting their hubris.

then you see the guy that's just like "lmao" who zooms down the peak with no shits given whatsoever

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

mountains are evil but also awesome. ive probably told this story before but:

i mountain-ski every year and literally almost skiid off a cliff one year in Utah with my dad after a heavy snowfall. we were in a backwoods trail and the snow was so bright, it looked like the hill kept going after the edge, when we were actually looking at snow beyond the cliff below. the edge was just not visible. fortunately was able to stop short, i shouted to my pops who slid down the side of the cliff (it was a slope), but at the time i thought he was gone

he wound up stomping a "staircase" out of the snow to climb back up to me, and then we sat around until ski patrol came and harnessed us out lol. every time i tried to move, i slid closer to the edge, so we just had to hang tight. ski patrol was awesome and got us out of there super fast though. they found a route down the slope and guided us down with the harnesses on so we wouldn't make a wrong turn and die or hit a tree like idiots

we still ski, but we no longer go off-trail for more than a few turns. last year we pony'd up and went to Switzerland, which was amazingly beautiful. skiid across the border into italy for a slice of pizza at one point.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 30, 2015

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Default Settings posted:

Found this in the china.jpg thread: The shadow of K2

hello new desktop background, but which one will i choose?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i watched the K2 doc on netflix and saw a guy die on the first day at basecamp, from skiing and falling

RIP mountain ski bro but do a lot of people actually try to ski the 8kers?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Varkk posted:

Yes, and the other day I saw an article about a guy planning to mountain bike on one. I am on a phone right now but will try to find the article later when at my PC.

drat that's wild. cool though. love seeing what other people do with the sport but sometimes i shake my head at it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

im probably spelling it wrong but yall ever seen the matterhorn? it's far from the biggest mountain but i think it's easily the most beautiful. heard it's pretty dangerous to climb but im not a climber myself so idk.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

zedprime posted:

Matterhorn huh?

Looks like a knock off of a real mountain.

good god... majestic.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

it also looks like some poo poo outta lord of the rings

i think it's that face on the left side of the pic that's the place where people struggle the most?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Gripen5 posted:

That entire mountain looks like it requires some serious skill and equipment to climb.

its weird just getting there. the town i stayed at is near its base: zermatt. they have really strict rules on how vehicles can operate in the town, like you cannot drive a traditional vehicle around the streets of the city. the only vehicles i saw around in the city proper were electric taxis. beautiful place though, and the food is really good. heres a wiki page on it if you're curious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zermatt

i spent most of my time around Sunnegga and Gornergrat.

gipskrampf posted:

The standard route is actually only slightly more difficult than Everest. Of course you don't need bottled oxygen for a 4478 meter peak and if you break down on the summit there's gonna be a helicopter ride down. Because of its popularity and fixed ropes the Matterhorn shares a lot of problems with Everest, like traffic jams or unprepared climbers getting lost.

Here, have a GoPro movie of an ascent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvV4P7kFy_o

thanks, gonna watch this later, what a view!

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Terrible :(

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i just like mountain sports they are fun but it's sad when people die doing them

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

is there a legit mountain sports thread on this site cause I looked in the sports forum and didn't see it

but some of yall givin me the willies

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

ty was hoping more for a general chat but this is interesting

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Venusian Weasel posted:

Tired of normal cave diving and looking for a challenge? Boy, do I have just the place for you!

It's been sealed off from the surrounding world for nearly 5 million years. Oxygen only makes up 10% of the air, and it all comes from sulfate-oxidizing bacteria, which grow in a thick layer on the water. The air is thick with carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide, and visits are limited to under 6 hours to prevent kidney failure.

this is extremely cool, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Nepal is banning climbers from Everest that haven't climbed a 6,500 meter peak, as well as the young, old and disabled.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/28/mount-everest-to-be-declared-off-limits-to-inexperienced-climbers

good

• Locked thread