Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

SteveVizsla posted:

I was in a bookstore the other day that had a ton on climbing, so I took photos of the fronts and backs and typed this up. I didn't include Touching the Void, Into Thin Air, High Crimes, anything by Krakauer, etc.

Wow! Thanks for this, I have added it to the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Wait so we ALL tried to be the first people to climb a mountain in a plane with a copy of Men In Black III? Good thing I brought this other DVD. I'm the first one to do it with a copy of Men In Black Men.

Is now the time to post this, I ca't remember if this guy is a goon or not

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Just lie about it. Much safer.

I'm sure one of us Everest Goons could photoshop you on the summit

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

So what exactly do mountaineers do for a living that they can spend months and months trying to kill themselves every year?

A lot of the real pro ones work as tour guides, that way they get to climb the mountains and also get paid. They also work in mountain rescue and stuff like that. Some get sponsored. Ueli Steck who is exceptionally good is sponsored by Mountain Hardware

I was trying to find out if Steck was climbing this year and came across this talk featuring him and Sir Chris Bonington. I haven't listened to it yet but thought I should share it here anyway.
http://mtnmeister.com/meister/sir-chris-bonington-ueli-steck/

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

Hola Better Internet Extension for Chrome

Free forever. Works in three clicks.

Yeah, Hola is the tits.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

are there any good documentaries on YouTube about these crazy mountain people?

I have an Everest playlist with some stuff on it here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCCDlK-WW0A

If anybody wants to make suggestions/additions let me know of course, sharing is caring (except if you are an Italian on K2 in a snowstorm)

edit- How the hell do you just link the URL to the playlist? Every time I copy and paste it it automatically makes it a video that can't play. Sort of fixed it but Id still like to know

Rondette fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 1, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

What happened here? Did they just post smilies? Huh.

Anyway :mallorytalk: I think I posted this before but it is a rather good doc from the Eighties about Mallory. This is also the one where Brian Blessed goes up Everest and yells at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REU-8Aig-tc

Also, can't recommend this book enough

Mallory sounds like quite the charming devil who had several older men doting on him in the way that only British schoolmasters could. He avoided direct combat in WWI by higher ups locating him away from the front lines, something he didn't really want.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 8, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some things from Alan Arnette's blog

quote:

About 375 Everest 2015 permits issues thus far, with 125 from 2014. 96 issues for Lhotse.
Total Everest permits issues in 2014 was 326.
Nepali Min bahadur Sherchan 84 to go for male age record.

quote:

In spite of extreme lobbying by many expeditions leaders, helicopter flights to carry gear into the CWM was denied once again for 2015.

Curiously, however, helicopters were supposed to be banned from Base Camp except for emergency evacuations. As I type this at 3:45 PM, I just heard the 10th helicopter of the day arrive at base camp. I visited EverestER and they said they have been busy, but not 10 evacs in one day!

What's with all the helicopters??? Some people (expensively) cutting corners?

eta- article here about this issue

Rondette fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 15, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
People who took on those higher numbers in the death pool could be on to something. A chopper crashing into a bunch of Sherpas maybe?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hey, if anyone has a spare $79k it might not be too late if you can squeeze a few days hiking training in then fly to Tibet!

http://www.alpenglowexpeditions.com/expeditions/everest-north-side-rapid-ascent

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo!! Everest is really pissed. I can't imagine this year will be on. :( all jokes aside about death pools, good luck getting everyone out.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fooma posted:

Look on the bright side, for our book nerds this will likely lead to a swell of new books about this event like the K2 disaster. Maybe even a few specials on netflix next year!

Got to admit.....that did cross my mind.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alan arnette was up there...... His front page is down atm.

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2015/04/22/everest-2015-first-steps-in-the-icefall/

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^
Edit: great post!

Seriously who is Russell Brice in cahoots with? Himex keep their record clean once again. Amazing.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 25, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Confirmation of that Google lad. Google are donating $1,000,000 to help with aid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/nepal/11563804/First-Everest-avalanche-victim-named.html

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://qz.com/391389/everest-filmmaker-david-breashears-is-back-on-the-mountain-and-confirmed-alive-by-his-colleagues/

David Breashears confirmed alive, in camp 1

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This was posted in the comments section of Alan Arnette's blog. Bet those people are dealing with some mixed emotions right now.

quote:

Fraudulent Everest Operator

“The first-ever case of fraud has been reported in more than 50-year history of mountaineering expeditions in Nepal after foreign climbers were duped of millions of rupees by an expedition operator,” The Himalayan Times reported on April 20th.

As per details, Tshering Dorjee Sherpa who operates “Himalayan Alpine Adventure Treks and Expeditions” was responsible for arrangement of Everest Northside permits and high-altitude services for eight-member Greek team and Indian lady Chandana Pradhan. However, Tshering Dorjee disappeared after collecting money from the teams.

Nikos Magitsis, team leader of Greek Expedition, told The Himalayan Times that he had already climbed K2 with this operator in 2011. Greek climbers will be flying back home, today. Indian lady is now trying to make arrangements for an attempt on Everest from Nepal side.

Gruss vom EBC!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I admit that I am in fact responsible for this disaster by tempting Fate because I a) initiated the death pool and b) posted the unfeasibly high body count of 41, which everyone (including me) thought was excessive. I will be genuinely sorry if I win, which looks a real possibility.

I promise not to tempt Fate again in the near future and will be donating to a relief charity this week.

You and me both, bro :\

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some photos from base camp. The first one of the avalanche is :stare:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/26/mount-everest-avalanche-photos_n_7146596.html

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Places where you can donate- any suggestions will be added to the OP. FWIW I gave my money to ActionAid.

Actionaid

Unicef

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

Please add http://www.livetolove.org/what-s-happening-sidebar/277-help-us-help-nepal which I just posted more details about above as well. Experienced, established disaster relief team headquartered in Nepal, a good way to get money directly to the front lines and assist rescue crews already with boots on the ground.

already added :)

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Another charity that you may want to donate to - Nepalese Search and Rescue dogs

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fojar38 posted:

so its been about a thousand pages have we decided which goon murdered 4000+ people

I just realised I said...something in my OP-

quote:

So, bring on the climbers!! The avalanches!! The endless arguments about why they can't 'put a slide at the summit'!!

:ohdear:

Added another link to the OP too (sorry Goon who posted another link, can you do it again, I've lost it in all the posts) Julian Lennon is going to match any donation you make with his own money

https://whitefeatherfoundation.com/life/nepal-earthquake-relief-fund/

That's a wicked picture.
VVVVV

Rondette fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 29, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Day Man posted:

So, how many people have died on Everest so far? Who's in the lead in the death pool?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_died_climbing_Mount_Everest

This (not really accurate but who knows) list has 17 new names plus one 'unknown climber' so. 18 is the number although that may change.

eta- 'Adventure Consultants' sure took a hit, they have 5 Sherpa casualties. I wonder if they were on the icefall at the time.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 29, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DumbparameciuM posted:

What the actual gently caress? :smith:

Honest to god I thought it was over this year.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

Nepal has basically no other income, and has a big loving mess it needs to clean that won't pay for itself. Tourism is Nepal's only real industry. Canceling the season again would leave them with a lot of bills and a lot less income in the coming years.

They desperately need to prove that climbing Everest is super safe and anyone with enough scratch can do it, and they're going to do their best to do that despite the last two years setting records for killing people who weren't even on the mountain yet.

It's not wise, but it's what they've got.

I understand this but I don't know how I feel about it. Glad we might get a climbing season after all, and yeah they need all the money they can get and with good reason, but it does seem to be tempting way too much fate for my liking. I wonder if the sherpas will be up for it? Surely 2 years of the mountain killing their own more than usual would be a huge flashing warning sign?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

(Reuters) - Climbing will reopen on Mount Everest next week after damage to routes caused by avalanches that were set off by a huge earthquake, one of which killed 18 climbers at base camp, senior officials said on Thursday.

"Next week, expeditions will continue," said Tulsi Prasad Gautam, chief of the mountaineering department at the tourism ministry.

At an informal meeting of officials and climbing groups, it was agreed that there was "no additional risk" to climbers as a result of the earthquake, which has killed thousands of people in Nepal.

A team called the Icefall Doctors would within one week fix the route through the treacherous Khumbu icefalls, taken by climbers scaling the south side of Everest on Nepali territory, Gautam told Reuters.

A massive avalanche unleashed by Saturday's 7.8 magnitude quake wiped out a swath of Everest base camp, killing 18 climbers and sherpa mountain guides and injuring more than 60.

Many climbers have abandoned their ascent of Everest, the world's tallest peak at 8,850 m (29,035 feet).

Others have, however, hunkered down in hope of pressing ahead despite the humanitarian tragedy unfolding in Nepal, where more than 5,000 people have died in the quake and its aftermath.

Gautam said that 60-70 foreign climbers remained at base camp, but expected climbers to regroup and more than 350 to try to reach the summit. With their local sherpa mountain guides, some 700 would scale Everest in total, he said, a normal number for the spring season.

Gautam said that most of the ropes buried under avalanche snow on the Khumbu icefalls would be pulled out and used.

If it was not possible to use the old ropes, new ropes and ladders would be laid that have already been brought to Everest base camp.

The mountaineeering department is also considering extending the season into early June for those holding 90-day permits to climb Everest. Typically the monsoon sets in on or after June 1, with heavy cloud cover making climbing impossible.

Ang Tshering Sherpa, head of the Nepal Mountaineering Association, confirmed that the Icefall Doctors were working on the route up to the advanced camps from which climbers mount their final assault on the summit.

(Reporting by Gopal Sharma; Writing by Douglas Busvine; Editing by Nick Macfie)
http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/04/30/quake-nepal-everest-climbing-idINKBN0NL0T920150430

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That interview with David Breshears mentions the fact that the wind that preceded the BC avalanche was around 160-210mph :stare:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tweet from Alan Arnette-

quote:

Himex will not climb Everest from Nepal thus ending the season. Maybe indvidual will like 2014, but major efforts over on both sides.

Himex is Russell Brice's team, they pretty much fix everything up there at Everest.

From the Himex site-

quote:

Hi All
It seems that the media is all very ready to tell the world that I have made a decision to continue to climb on Everest, when in my last newsletter I said that we would assess the situation: the ministry, the expedition operations association, my team, the Sherpas as well as the scale of the disaster in the whole country had to be considered. At that stage I had not made a decision as there were so many factors to be considered. Now having considered all facts, I can tell you that we will not be continuing any of our ascents in Nepal this season.

Yes I have attended many meetings here in Kathmandu with the Ministry of Tourism and Expedition Operators Association. Many operators not just Himalayan Experience have attended these meetings, and in general we as operators have been advising that the Everest season should not continue, due to safety, lack of logistics, and of course the dramatic situation in Nepal at present. But as is often the case in Nepal there are many points of view from government level, to operators, SPCC, HRA and the like to be considered. And also the wishes of our clients also need to be considered.

Yes our team is still at BC where they are actually comfortable and safe and have not been putting pressure on any of the rescue activities that are taking place in Nepal at this moment. In fact immediately after the avalanche at BC our team was very involved in the search and recovery of injured many who were treated by our own expedition doctor Anne Brants. Many of the injured spent the night in our two dining tents before being evacuated the following day. Anne tells me how hard it was to have people dyeing as she was trying to treat them. Our camp also became the home for many others who had lost their tents and infrastructure, and I believe it was only yesterday that the last of these people finally left our camp. I’d like to say thank you for the fantastic job they’ve done so far.

We also lost our main communications tent in the avalanche so this has not made it any easier for our team of guides who have been working so hard to help with rescue operations.

Most of our Sherpa staff have spent the last week at home making sure that their families are safe and making repairs to their damaged buildings. But all were willing to return and carry on climbing, so I also needed to take their point of view into account.

Currently members are packing and waiting for porters and yaks and also our Sherpa staff to arrive from the lower villages so as they can make an orderly return, trying to use the least amount of resources as possible. We have been considering to get everyone to Pheriche and then flying out to Ktm by MI17, this would put less pressure on the lodges and infrastructure going down to Lukla. But it seems unlikely that I can get an MI17 in the current situation, so it seems that everyone will need to walk to Lukla, so I do not expect that they will be back to Ktm until about 4 or 5 May. Now many of the operating hotels are full of media personnel or rescue teams, so there is still an accommodation problem here in Kathmandu.

Likewise, the Makalu team are slowly taking the Advanced Base Camp down to lower BC. There we will store equipment until the emergency situation in Nepal is over. All left over expedition food will be given to the local communities, as will all Everest food. However I still require helicopter evacuation for all members and staff from Makalu BC to Pheriche where they can meet with the Everest members again and for the Sherpa staff can finally get home.

It will still take a few days for my guides and Sherpa staff to take down our BC, so staff will not be out to Ktm for at least 2 weeks.

In the meanwhile we continue to search for the 3 missing Indonesian trekkers, 2 guides and 5 porters who were in the Langtang area. It appears that most injured and dead from this area have been transported to the road head, but there is very little news coming from this devastated area, so it will still take time to establish where these members are. This morning I was meeting with the Indonesian Army rescue team to plan on to how proceed with further searches.

We continue to support all of our staff and their families during this difficult time. Like many others, we will open a fund so as we can collect money which will be used to directly support all of our normal staff for reconstruction of their buildings.

Russ

- See more at: http://himalayanexperience.com/newsletters/everest-2015/the-daily-moraine-2015-4-everest-decision#sthash.KTTxVP5c.dpuf

Rondette fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 1, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm just now reading 'South' by Ernest Shackleton, incredible story and for a change no one dies!

They went through some poo poo, from living on nothing but penguin and seal meat (The Gentoo penguin was favoured due to the meaty breasts and legs) to having to sail for 2 weeks on basic rations in an open boat in the Antarctic waters. Despite being written 100 years ago, the writing is remarkably fresh (although his constant listing of the latitudes gets a bit dull) and you really get a feel that they worked together well (apart from what happened in the next paragraph) as a team....Shackleton seemed to be a really sound leader.

They also had a ship's cat, the marvellously named Mrs.Chippy, who sadly had to be shot once the Endurance was crushed, but his (Mrs.Chippy was found to be a Tom long after the name stuck) spirit lives on, and was a cause of controversy on the expedition-

quote:

Mrs. Chippy, a tiger-striped tabby, was taken on board the Endurance by Harry McNish, the carpenter nicknamed "Chippy" (as in chips of wood, chips or chippy being a standard British nickname for a carpenter or for a man named Carpenter[1]), as a ship's cat. One month after the ship set sail for Antarctica it was discovered that, despite her name, Mrs. Chippy was actually a male, but by that time the name had stuck. He was described as "full of character" by members of the expedition and impressed the crew by his ability to walk along the ship's inch-wide rails in even the roughest seas. After the ship was destroyed, Shackleton decided that Mrs. Chippy and five of the dogs would not survive, and on 29 October 1915 recorded:

This afternoon Sallie’s three youngest pups, Sue’s Sirius, and Mrs. Chippy, the carpenter’s cat, have to be shot. We could not undertake the maintenance of weaklings under the new conditions. Macklin, Crean, and the carpenter seemed to feel the loss of their friends rather badly.[2]

McNish had become particularly attached to the cat, and never forgave Shackleton for having him shot. He clashed with Shackleton during the expedition and, despite eventually constructing the boats that would take the party to safety, and displaying considerable fortitude and bravery, McNish was denied the Polar Medal awarded to most of the rest of the crew, on the grounds of his earlier insubordination. In 2004 a life-size bronze statue of Mrs. Chippy was placed on the grave of McNish by the New Zealand Antarctic Society in recognition of his efforts on the expedition.[3] In February 2011 Mrs Chippy was featured on a postage stamp. The stamp was issued by South Georgia & the South Sandwich Islands.

Also rather sweet is the list of the dog's names (although they don't appear to list 'friend of the family' which was on the relief expedition boat)

quote:

The known dogs' names were Rugby, Upton Bristol, Millhill, Songster, Sandy, Mack, Mercury, Wolf, Amundsen, Hercules, Hackenschmidt, Samson, Sammy, Skipper, Caruso, Sub, Ulysses, Spotty, Bosun, Slobbers, Sadie, Sue, Sally, Jasper, Tim, Sweep, Martin, Splitlip, Luke, Saint, Satan, Chips, Stumps, Snapper, Painful, Bob, Snowball, Jerry, Judge, Sooty, Rufus, Sidelights, Simeon, Swanker, Chirgwin, Steamer, Peter, Fluffy, Steward, Slippery, Elliott, Roy, Noel, Shakespeare, Jamie, Bummer, Smuts, Lupoid, Spider, and Sailor

Read more about him on his Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Shackleton

Then read the book.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 5, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Assuming you've read more than the one, would you say Shackleton's account is your favorite telling of this little adventure? Are there any others I should look at? Lansing's telling, maybe?

I haven't read any others yet so dunno. However there is a 3 part series on Netflix US called 'Chasing Shackleton' which sets out to recreate faithfully the 1500k journey they took to get to South Georgia.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Yeah it's the latter, I think it is a PBS special. Not watched the Nova one yet, I'll have to winkle that one out.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 5, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So I'm continuing reading Shackleton's South, and there is a line casually dropped in that made me stop. It basically was along the lines of

"I started suffering snow blindness, had to take some cocaine"

I wonder how many amazing achievements of yesteryear were done with the help of a bit of the old coke to gee them along. The guys that recreated Shackleton's sail and walk were OK with the boat part but the mountaineering part totally scuppered them. I bet they didn't stop for a toot every so often.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

monster on a stick posted:

Some people on IMDB have seen it and said it was good but who knows. Cast is decent at least. Never heard of the director.

It's got Clive Standen in it so it could be poo poo but I won't care cos look at him. (Yeah I know he won't be shirtless for it but eh any excuse to ogle.)

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
2 people died trying to Base Jump at Yosemite

aaaah that last line...

quote:

A spotter at the top watched them descend and fly with their outstretched wingsuits. Once they fell out of site, Gauthier said, she heard a “pop-pop” sound from below. She had hoped it was the smacking sound of their chutes opening somewhere in the darkening depths of the valley. But daylight brought the confirmation that it was not.

(sorry Dean Potter)

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Uk goons there is a documentary about K2 on bbc4 right now :siren:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

http://www.lamrt.org.uk/incidents - Ambleside Mountain Rescue has reports going back to 1970, some of them are hillarious. I can't find it now but I remember one where they had to carry a woman all the way down and she refused to share her tunnocks with them despite their begging. When they got to the bottom she walked off.

Just some I picked off the first page I came to:

I think it must be this one....
http://www.lamrt.org.uk/incidents/2001/incident/24

quote:

Incident Report #24 2001
Tue, 21st August 2001, 21:54
Are you sitting comfortably, because this is a good one!
(I suggest a beer and some crisps as a minimum) We were called to assist a 53-year-old male and a 47-year-old female who where benighted in the area of Harrison Stickle. It seemed a simple matter of finding them, and walking them down. They'd given us a fairly good idea where they were, and finding them wasn't difficult. In fact we located them about 11.30pm. The team members who got to them first were greeted by complaints that they had walked past, despite their shouts. It didn't seem to matter that their rescuers had to continue up the ghyll past them, in order to find a safe place to cross the ravine that forms the upper section of Dungeon Ghyll. The second part of the greeting was to 'instruct' a team member to carry the woman's bag. This was a 'fashion' duffle bag, with a big coat hanging from it. The couple were fortified with drinks and glucose tablets and the
descent started. After a short distance the woman's newfound porter asked if he could put the coat inside the bag because it was in danger of tripping him. She reluctantly agreed, but said that he wasn't to squash the chocolate muffins that were in the bag. The porter opened the bag and found that it contained a 4-pack of chocolate muffins, a packet of famous brand caramel wafers, chocolate eclairs, a bag of toffees, bananas, apples, oranges, Twiglets, crisps, yoghurts(!), cartons of juice and a famous brand of reconstituted potato snack, in a tube. (Why do they give you a reusable lid, when they must know that once opened, you cannot avoid eating the lot?) This was only what was visible imediately by the light of a head torch, and there could easily have been more. The porter was excited by the prospect of a little snack, but the Tunnocks were only handed over reluctantly. What is normally a descent of around an hour stretched out until around 5am, on account of the woman's physical condition. Her husband was escorted to the valley floor some two hours earlier. Questioning revealed that the man was more than capable of navigating a way down, it was just that the woman refused to go down any of his chosen routes because they were too steep. She complained to her rescuers that the way they had chosen was also too steep, but they left her in no doubt that that was the only way she was going to be escorted down. She even criticised somebody she had seen many hours earlier for wearing sandals. She may have had a point, but the irony of the situation seemed lost on her. This team doesn't rescue people for gratitude or money, but , respectively one is pleasant to receive, and the other is quite useful for the development of the team, but on some occasions you feel well and truly screwed! This was one of those occasions., Sorry, I went on a bit then!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

wrong thread sorry

Make up for it by going on a dig :colbert:

Nice to see this thread again, I'm reading The White Spider at the moment, about the North Face of the Eiger. Very very good, and it is interesting reading stuff from the Sixties, the attitudes and culture around mountain climbing doesn't really seemed to have changed that much.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That thread was amazing. I was so glad to see that unfold over real time.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
UK goons, there is a programme on channel 4 tomorrow at 9pm about this year's Everest earthquake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Let's not forget the Everest film coming out in a few weeks too! What a weird year it has been for Everest.

• Locked thread