Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Sanctum posted:

I think we get a free pass on that one. You think we're over-critical of her now that she's dead, you should see the poo poo we slung before she died. That woman was not prepared to climb Everest.

That she chose Lake Louise as the backdrop for several of her Photoshop mountain climbs still gets me. It is literally wheelchair accessible. Every year, dozens more quadriplegics can get their picture taken where she had to Photoshop herself and legitimately claim to have more mountain climbing experience than she did when she decided to climb Everest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Rondette posted:

One of the many documentaries I watched mentions that it takes around 3 hours to boil water. Plus you gotta melt it from snow which is obv. not as dense as water so you have to melt poo poo-loads.

As for Sandy, a quick Google search brings this up-

link- http://takemeupmteverest-rnsmith.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/call-mountain-police-sandy-hill-returns.html which is in an utterly horrible font.

She makes a good point about the different reception a man taking that up would have got. One of the other threads went into the extremely sexist and 'boy's club' vibe that goes on at camps. A bit like Mark Inglis in 2006, I think she was unfortunate enough to be the point of anger for something that was just an utter clusterfuck of poor choices, bad luck, and nature being a total bastard.

She was accused of getting pulled up the mountain by a Sherpa during '96. Her point that there was a lot of sexist nonsense is fair though.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

sweat poteto posted:

I'm really enjoying Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales. It's about the psychology of survival, down to the level of brain activity, memory and emotions. Discusses loads of real life examples including many mountaineering incidents (the Simpson/Yates story and a recent multiple-fatality on Mt Hood). It's drat interesting, particularly if you've ever wondered wtf some otherwise experienced person makes seemingly terrible decisions with bad consequences.

Does he explain this one?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

Thats the guy who ran up the Eiger right? Man, he's going to provide us all with a hilarious death some day. I hope it has more detail than the snowboard guy.

How is that even going to work with all the people queuing to get past certain parts?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Bitter Mushroom posted:

So sherpies dont like bring bodies down off the mountain, but would they object to taking my body up the mountain and perhaps posing it on the summit?

They do remove bodies. It's just hard to do so when they're in the death zone. They're absolutely not going to haul a body up there. You're going to have to bite the bullet and spend $20,000 on a crappy expedition (no need for gear) is your goal is to be a body on the mountain.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The North Tower posted:

Just get it on loan. What are they going to do?

Loan officers are big fans of unsecured loans in the first place. Much less so when the stated purpose is a vacation to a place with a well established "Death Zone".

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The North Tower posted:

I was thinking it'd be best to lie to them.

If we're going to start lying to people to get their money, go full out and start a cult. The key to heaven lies at the summit of Everest, or whatever. The bottom line is, once you get there you can send for the rest of them. They hand over their life savings and a select few carry you as far up as they can get.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The North Tower posted:

This makes me wonder: how many religious wackos with no training would it take to get my body to the top of the mountain? Like how the Sherpas run a logistics train--how would randoms fare? Hundreds would die, and exponentially so as you get higher and higher, but who really cares?

Bonus points for no oxygen.

It depends on how in shape your followers are. When you think about it, though, getting people who join a cult into shape sounds like a lot of work.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Anais Nun posted:

Getting this now. Thank you so much for all your amazing book recs. Just finished the Zuckerman one about K2 and I loved it. Insofar as you can love a book about people being crushed, maimed and dismembered by an rear end in a top hat of a mountain that wants everybody dead, but you know what I mean, right?

One of these threads, some goon who gets hooked with the book recommendations is going to actually try to climb Everest. Or will fake (in the thread) that he tried to climb Everest. It's not clear yet which would be funnier.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The North Tower posted:

Maybe I caught onto the person who founded Crossfit's ultimate goal?

Makes sense. Climbing Everest is probably safer than some of the weightlifting techniques they employ. It totally desensitizes followers to irrational, unnecessary risk.

hailthefish posted:

Install a series of pullup bars all the way to the summit and they'll just kip their way up.

No need to install fancy equipment. There are ladder bridges already in place which are just as good:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

Shah-Klorfine was dumb as hell and committed suicide on that mountain, but nobody was in the wrong about it. I don't believe any wrongdoing occurred. It's a classic case of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

The "documentary" about her was done by the "5th Estate", who are actually investigative reporters. That show's reporters have lots of experience making companies look bad for not preventing their customers from doing stupid things. They were running ever trick in the book trying to suggest that her death was anyone's fault but her own. It did not work.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

There's no way that was anything other than a suicide.

Experienced, but overconfident, outdoors types get killed by unexpected awful weather with considerable frequency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
There are a lot of pictures of dead bodies linked to in this thread.

• Locked thread