Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
now she's not even the first corpse you see on the way up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

jag420 posted:

Why is that Canadian lady having a sleep on Everest?

Everest is not a good place for a sleep. Too cold for a start. Plus that duvet she has doesn't look very thick.

the mighty canadian maple warms her as she happily dreams of all the other mountains she will climb in photoshop

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

SaltLick posted:

She'd probably have been fine if she didn't waste 30 minutes up there loving around.

that summit pic wasn't going to photoshop itself you know

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

pentyne posted:

But it was her dream!

Seriously though, her husband must've been a weak willed piece of poo poo to just agree and let her spend $50-60k just so she can climb the world's tallest mountain even though she has literally zero experience. There's comprising in marriages and then there's "gently caress no I will not be a party to your death wish". That he didn't even fight her on it and tell her to climb some other smaller mountains first means he was either as dumb as her or completely cowed by her.

every time he thought about arguing her out of it he'd go to the file cabinet, find the life insurance policy, thumb through it and count to ten

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

:spergin: posted:

At that time he rated the difficulty of the Second Step as 5.10—well outside of Mallory's capability ... Houlding rated the climb at 5.9, just within Mallory's estimated capabilities.

What's the difference between a 5.9 and a 5.10? "Just within" and "well outside" don't help here.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

ZombieLenin posted:

Maybe he is hooking his body up with animatronics that can be activated with smart home technology.

That way we can make his frozen corpse dance on Everest from anywhere in the world.

dress his corpse up like an old west prospector and also put in a recording that says "I'D TURN BACK IF'N I WUZ YOU"

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Leperflesh posted:

I was living in California and going to elementary school when Mt. St. Helens erupted. It was one of the earliest events I distinctly remember watching news footage about. As kids, we were just excited, "holy poo poo volcanoes are cool," but the news coverage was talking about nearby cities coated with layers of ash. One of my friends came back from a family vacation a few months later and he brought along baggies of ash they'd scooped up at roadsides.

Hell yeah, ash-getting buddy

I was in elementary school too when it happened. My aunt and uncle had just moved to Oregon and they sent me a little vial of Genuine Mount St. Helens Ash. My friends and I decided we wanted to make a volcano of our own so we buried the ash in our playground sandbox because we were in first grade and didn't know any better. A few weeks later the school added more sand to the sandbox, presumably by bringing a dump truck over, it doesn't matter, what matters is that we all came to school one morning to find a cone-shaped heap of sand where we'd planted our volcano and knew then that we had harnessed the power that separates men from gods. Mrs. J didn't believe us.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

quote:

In 2007, two 17-year-old boys participating in a tug of war game at a Colorado homecoming looped the rope around their hands and suffered amputations. “Hearing it was pretty gross,” a student at the scene later told NBC. “There was like a lot of people screaming and just all blood flying everywhere and just people running out of the room." Signs were later posted at the Christian high school that read, “Their hands are in His hands.”

thanks for looking after our severed hands, god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

October Revolution posted:

I do almost this exact trip every year (Montreal to Jacksonville and back) and it is incredibly boring and there's not much to see on 95. N and S Carolina are the worst parts of the whole trip too.

5/10, hesitantly recommend

But I-95 through the Carolinas has South of the Border, the tackiest tourist trap known to man, plus all the billboards with horrible puns (PEDRO SAYS "HOT DOG! YOU NEVER SAUSAGE A PLACE") for like 700 miles beforehand. It's poo poo but at least it helps the monotony.

The worst part is getting to Florida for the first time and not realizing just how much farther you have to drive to get to Miami, let alone Key West. Second worst part is the Baltimore-DC corridor. Feels like you're always guaranteed a few dozen miles of stop-n-go outside Baltimore no matter what time of day you travel.

• Locked thread