Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Any notable douchebags attempting this year we should know about ? I want to be the first Filipino transgender colorblind lesbian double amputee gulf war veteran to summit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

I TOTALLY DID IT AND OVERCAME THE ODDS AND IT WAS A TOTAL JOURNEY OF SPIRIT MIND AND BODY AND FEW CAN SAY THEY DID WHAT I DID BUT I BEAT ADVERSITY AND DID IT #IDIDIT

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
If I ever end up with a terminal illness I am going to die on Everest.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I'd do a kickstarter to fund the trip and leave a nest egg for family. Set tiers, top being I'd hold up a custom sign from any group and have their logo all over. Who the gently caress would bother to erase/change it and my next of kin would have a nice lump sum.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I propose a new idea. Everyone who has reached the summit successfully can apply to be a sherpa. Then we can have a bunch of douches competing for who can out extreme each other. "first genderqueer, double amputee ADHD lesbian republican, rookie sherpa, lost on second trip with group of 12"

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Why is this thread not as active as the past two ? I realize the first one I saw was filled with me watching the recommended shows and reading links,etc.

This one just feels slow or is it just me ? Do I have some morbid fascination with reading about rich yuppies dying trying to be the first to bring awareness to their cause ?

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Gotcha. I follow this with the most casual of enthusiasm, I couldn't tell you when the season starts but know enough about the death zone.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Fatkraken posted:

I think most regular expeditions try to summit before the end of May and the Monsoon, and spend maybe 10-12 weeks on the mountain. So it's about time for teams to start arriving

There's some big furore going on with permits for the Nepal side at the moment, since last years season basically didn't happen due to the disaster that killed the big group of Sherpas. The climbers still don't know if they'll be allowed to use the old permits and the government is dragging it's feet, so a lot of expeditions are in limbo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-31587654

Thanks for that. I hope the season kicks off without a hitch, perhaps some vegan restaurant take out app creator can die early in the ice flow to appease the Mt.Gods. Any notably under qualified people making noise about attempting this year ?

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Catpain Slack posted:

More like 2d6 climbers.

e: Goddammit now I want to play a pen-and-paper RPG about climbing Everest.

Wouldn't you be constantly having to roll every 10 seconds against altitude sickness ?

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
4 Climbers 1 Sherpa

Itll end up being something stupid. Everyone will be in such a rush to get there but be super cautious because of last year causing some sort of rich yuppie log jam. A fight is going to break out and the one sherpa will die trying to break it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

stab posted:

thats right

somebody is giving birth on the mountain this year

This made me laugh and I hope you get a prize just for posting it.

• Locked thread