Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I had a thought that they should get those rebreathers that the divers use. But I sure it is prohibitively heavy. I seem to remember reading that you can barely walk in them before getting into the water, but that might have just been due to the dry suit and other gear.

Either way, those pressurized tents that the doctors on Everest use on climbers who get altitude sickness are pretty neat. Definitely would think every team would want to pack one or two of those for emergencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

What's the betting we see that teenage girl who was planning to ascend last year have a go this year? It got talked about in the last thread but.... :effort:

I doubt it. Her book she pre wrote of her experiences there doesn't make sense anymore. And her dad is probably broke from sending her last year.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I kind of like the believe he got to the top before he died because he comes off as the sort of person who would manage it, though I agree with Hillary that it isn't a success unless you can come back down (take that dead canadian lady).

I remember reading many times that it was unlikely Mallory made it to the top because the second step (on the North approach) is considered far too difficult of a climb for someone of his level of skill. It is only typically possible today with the use of ladders. Even though the last eye witness who saw them alive claims they were just above the second step.

This story kinda makes you wonder.

It is really steep. I am sure it would be a difficult climb even at sea level in ideal conditions.

But Conrad Anker, the guy who found Mallory's body, apparently free soloed it in 2007 using period 1924 gear. I guess its just another one of those things the internet can argue about forever just for the hell of it.

Edit: Oh. This was all laid out in the wiki just above where it was linked too. Oh well.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 14, 2015

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Howard Beale posted:

What's the difference between a 5.9 and a 5.10? "Just within" and "well outside" don't help here.

I found this:

http://outdoorswithdave.com/climbing/climbing-ratings

It doesn't really help all that much...

But it sounds like 5.9 is something that is at the far extent of a beginner, but doable. While the 5.10 is where things start to get difficult to the point that you would need regular training for quite some time. It also seems to be where it transitions from near vertical climb at 5.9 to vertical or past vertical at 5.10 and above.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Most of these guesses seem comically high. Last year was the most deaths ever at 16 and most years are lower than 5.

I can't decide between 3 and 4. But 3 was my initial guess and it hasn't filled up yet, so lets go with that. The unfortunate split will be one sherpa, two climbers at least one of which is not from a "western" country.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

From my understanding, which might be wrong, K2 is actually "taller" than Everest during some winters because of how snow accumulates on K2 vs Everest.

So someone needs to start running winter summits of K2.

Also, McKinley (Denali) is taller than Everest, if you're measuring base to peak. In fact, if you measure like that and leave the Hawaiian islands out of the calculation (they're mostly underwater), McKinley becomes the tallest mountain in the world. :ca:

I highly doubt your first statement is correct. That would be a 250 meter snow drift in an area that is completely exposed. That is the equivalent of like an 60 story building. Although I do know there is a mild controversy about the "actual" height of Everest as the Chinese don't include the snow/ice cap and westerners do. However, I believe the difference between the two is in the range of 5 meters.

Apparently, there is a lot more controversy over the actual height than I thought. Some guy even tried to prove that K2 was taller, but his methodology was apparently bunk.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1673089/Height-of-Mount-Everest

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 2, 2015

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

I really want someone to find Malory and Irvine's camera, and I want it to be the case that these crazy fuckers summitted an 8000m peak, and the tallest one at that, in 1924.

This has come up a couple times, but unless they find it on the summit under 90 years worth of snow and ice, I don't think it would help much. There is no way the undeveloped film would last that long in the elements.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

Actually my understanding is that Kodak scientists have studied the possibility of developing film from 1924 found on Everest and concluded it should be possible.

Interesting. I hadn't heard such a thing. Either way. I would definitely like more certainty on Mallory's accent, but I have a feeling we know about as much as we ever will.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

K2 winter accent via robot? Does that still count? How long before Everest and K2 are littered with broken down/damaged robots, hydraulic fluid and oil slicks everywhere?

What have you done to the sacred mountains?!

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

That's true. Siren should be watched first to learn about K2. It mentions the previous year's disaster. Then move on to The Summit to watch everyone die on the mountain.

I didn't see Siren, but when people mentioned things like the Seracs and bottleneck, even pictures didn't seem to do them justice. The Summit really had some good shots of what it looks like and gives a real feel for the dangers.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

A Spider Covets posted:

it also looks like some poo poo outta lord of the rings

i think it's that face on the left side of the pic that's the place where people struggle the most?

That entire mountain looks like it requires some serious skill and equipment to climb.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

It's been two seasons since anyone has been to the top of Everest from the south side. Also, there have been something like 6 earthquakes above 6.0 magnitude in the area in the last week. One of the 8k peaks (Broad Peak I think) became significantly more difficult to climb a few years back because of an ice shelf collapsing. Kinda wondering if its possible if the same thing happened at Everest. I would guess not so much, since Everest is not know for having large and dangerous ice shelves like some of the other high peaks.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

How does he intend to get past the ice fall?

Probably helicopter again. Then make his Sherpa take all the equipment by traversing the Icefall multiple times in the middle of aftershocks.

Honestly, he can do what he wants, but it seems rather cheap to try and make what is clearly a selfish goal (summitting Everest) and trying to somehow make it like he is doing it for everyone! Considering that there were more permits issued this year than last despite the fact that climbers didn't even make it onto the mountain last year, I somehow doubt that some random team making it to the summit this year will make a bit of difference. I am sure tragedy befalling on the mountain for the second year in a row will only encourage more climbers and thrill seekers from the news exposure, and film crews looking to capitalize on the media attention. Plus I am sure that there will be a push both internationally and from within Nepal to try and encourage tourism and investment in the country. Nurturing the climbing and hiking expeditions is obviously a huge part of that. I keep wondering if the money he would be spending to try a second push to the summit would be better spent trying to actually help people in Kathmandu or Nepal in general.

I was going to make an unrelated comment about that 17-year old Australian girl, but then I realized that I don't even know if she was one of people who died at base camp. Felt bad about possibly making GBS threads on the dream of a dead girl. Which is weird cause I didn't feel so bad about it for the Canadian woman. Although I did typically avoid making too much fun.

Edit: Looks like she is OK! And her father thinks she will attempt again. It seems she has downgraded her dream to just be the youngest Australian to summit, and she has like another 2 or 3 years as the youngest Australian to summit was 21 years old at the time.

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/toowoomba-teen-alyssa-azar-survives-nepal-earthqua/2618894/

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 28, 2015

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

pookel posted:

Oh my. :allears:

Who's he playing?

Krakouer. Obviously. Dude is like a statue.

Edit: He actually plays Ed Viesturs, which is almost as funny. World class climbers usually have slight frames.

When I first heard the stories about Boukareev I always expected a burly Russian guy, but he was a pretty slight man. Climber/mountaineers just aren't large people.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

Actually that'd make America's age of adulthood 25, because until then you can't rent a car or reserve rooms in some hotels.

Can't run for Congress or the President either. Guess you aren't an adult until 35.

Or 67 if you include medicare and social security.

• Locked thread