Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
countzio
Jan 30, 2014

What is this?

Claire is the first game by Hailstorm Games and it's a retro survival horror game involving a girl named Claire looking for her comatose mother in a nightmare-ish setting.

So basically it's Silent Hill/Lone Survivor.

Uh, yeah. It's pretty obvious what the dev team was paying tribute to. There's no combat in the game, you can only hide and you have the standard notes, locked/broken doors, multiple endings and inventory management those games have.

But this game has a German Shepard named Anubis. Though it has some problems like the story being a bit too rushed for my taste or a map system that doesn't help from time to time but all in all, it's an okay game.

So how are you playing this?

This will be subtitled like with Neverending Nightmares and I will go for all of the endings and try to get all of the notes. There's another collectible in the game that is entirely useless so I am undecided if I will bother. Yeah, I'll get the butterflies because turns out they aren't useless.

One important thing to mention is that back in October, the devs announced that along with Claire being put on consoles, they were working on a new patch for the PC version that will add (among other things) a new ending, more dialogue and a new map system. That patch hasn't arrived yet since they only have one developer but if that releases during the LP, I'll do my best to show that off.

The only rule right now is no spoilers.

Episode List

Episode 1: A Happy Family
Episode 2: Adopt A Dog Today
Episode 3: Treat Yourself
Episode 4: Treasure Your Memories
Bonus #1
Episode 5: Your Brain Is A Star

countzio fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I'm not sure what to think yet, other than the text only opening was a hell of a thing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The whole game will be bitter bear's revenge.

As much as I like the static effects, I can't help but feel that it's become an indie cliche. Wanna show something scary in your 8/16-bit games? Throw some static onto the screen!

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

Octarine Dream posted:

I'm not sure what to think yet, other than the text only opening was a hell of a thing.

I'm glad that the developers had an idea for a modern dramatic reboot of Care Bears to go with MLP.

SSNeoman posted:

The whole game will be bitter bear's revenge.

As much as I like the static effects, I can't help but feel that it's become an indie cliche. Wanna show something scary in your 8/16-bit games? Throw some static onto the screen!

The static will get way out of hand later on, trust me on this.

Also if you didn't like me getting lost near the end of Neverending Nightmares...

It's not bad in the new episode but there's a reason I called the thread as such. If it gets REALLY out of hand, I'll cut parts out in future videos.

Episode 2: Adopt A Dog Today

PS. The game's text going too fast near the end is the game's fault for having the text be automatic, not mine.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nah it's okay. Getting lost and wondering around is part of the experience.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Does Anubis serve any real purpose besides making you jump whenever he walks into a dark spot and looks like monster?

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Nah it's okay. Getting lost and wondering around is part of the experience.

You say that now, but when I'm lost in the last area for an hour only to find out I went the wrong way (like my first playthrough), you'll be singing a different tune.

Octarine Dream posted:

Does Anubis serve any real purpose besides making you jump whenever he walks into a dark spot and looks like monster?

The only thing Anubis does is growl when there's a monster in the room you just entered. It doesn't work for times like when the first monster popped out to surprise you, but that's all he does.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Now, the video says this was a game by Hailstorm games, but the OP says it's by Hairstorm games. I'm confused as to which.

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

The Steak Justice posted:

Now, the video says this was a game by Hailstorm games, but the OP says it's by Hairstorm games. I'm confused as to which.

It's Hailstorm. I got the name wrong in the OP because I was in a rush to put everything out before wrasslin' on Monday started so that botch is on me and I'll fix it.

Tubofun
Jul 8, 2009
I have to say I am actually enjoying how this looks so far, though it is a bit of a dick move for them to put a collectable in a place (I assume) you can't return to later.

Also does the transition between the different Claires do anything to gameplay mechanics or is it only for the sake of the story?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just watched a bit of the first video so far. Getting a very Clocktower-ey vibe.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Pretty neat little game, gonna definitely see this through. :munch:

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

Tubofun posted:

I have to say I am actually enjoying how this looks so far, though it is a bit of a dick move for them to put a collectable in a place (I assume) you can't return to later.

Also does the transition between the different Claires do anything to gameplay mechanics or is it only for the sake of the story?

Yeah, if you miss getting that butterfly, you missed out on it until you reload a save or start a new game. Some of the butterflies and notes are going to be like that.

As for the sprite change, the new episode answers that question. Good thing you can watch it now.

Episode 3: Treat Yourself

Maybe another episode will pop up this week. My schedule will be pretty full starting next Monday, though so updates will more than likely take longer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if Claire can actually hear that voice on the phone. You'd think a response to "get out of there" would be more along the lines of "trying that duder, doors out are chained shut, please advise".

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

Glazius posted:

I wonder if Claire can actually hear that voice on the phone. You'd think a response to "get out of there" would be more along the lines of "trying that duder, doors out are chained shut, please advise".

In fairness, this game wouldn't be the first story to never bring up "Can't leave, poo poo's locked" so far be it for the devs to buck that trend.

On the other hand, the achievement you get for that phone call is "But Who Was Phone" so feel free to take that into consideration for this and other future story issues.

I'll try to get episode 4 up by the end of next week. What I might do is record on the weekend then take the recording and work on it while I'm at school during downtime.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So, are the monsters random, or scripted?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's kinda cute how Claire has the cartoon's theme song as her ringtone.

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

azren posted:

So, are the monsters random, or scripted?

They are scripted. It generally goes like this:

1. Monster appears in hallway/room (the ones that appear in rooms are usually triggered by an event, the rest are just there.)
2. Monster chases you until you hide or go into another room.

If you hid, they will hang around for a bit, then leave the room. If you hid in a hallway closet, they will usually patrol that hallway.

If you went into another room, they will burst through in less than a minute. If you go into another room before they physically appear, you'll lose them. Otherwise, it depends on how much distance you put between them. If they were right next to you, the whole thing repeats. About a screen's length? You should be good.

3. You wander about until progress happens or you go back to step 1

Though if the monster is following you through a door they broke earlier (check for a big hole at the bottom of the door), they will take less time to appear.

The only exception to this pattern so far is the giant monster from episode 3. He just can't follow you through doors like the smaller ones can.

Going to record episode 4 soon, I finished doing a test run and I'm thinking this video will be longer because stopping at the first save point like in the last videos isn't as natural considering how much of the hospital is left.

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

I hope you guys like 26 minutes of hospital fun times.

Episode 4: Treasure Your Memories

Edit: I missed something at the end. It's nothing major but I'll make a short video showing it anyway because why not?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
So your enemies are Patapons and Slenderman holding a white flag?

Also dialogue is so disjointed, it's awkward.

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

Drakenel posted:

So your enemies are Patapons and Slenderman holding a white flag?

Also dialogue is so disjointed, it's awkward.

We haven't seen all of the enemies yet but I am fairly certain that you are not going to be impressed with what the future has in store.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Eh, I'm kinda digging this game. I have a few theories on what's going on, but I'll hold of on the speculation before I know for sure.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I like how...colorful the game is? That's kind of a strange word to use with all the dingy environments but the weird purplish/pinkish lighting adds a unique mood to things and I like the brightness of the more "normal" things. And I'm curious on how much is going to be answered; so far everything from the locations to the flashbacks seems to be drawn from Claire's memories but I'm not sure if it's literal or if Claire is just being really introspective.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 5, 2015

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I've gotta be honest, for all the flaws, I'm hanging on because this game is presenting a mystery and has an okay aesthetic... And the mystery is interesting, although, like SSNeoman, I have my theories.

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Eh, I'm kinda digging this game. I have a few theories on what's going on, but I'll hold of on the speculation before I know for sure.

JamieTheD posted:

I've gotta be honest, for all the flaws, I'm hanging on because this game is presenting a mystery and has an okay aesthetic... And the mystery is interesting, although, like SSNeoman, I have my theories.

Despite the game's problems, it's still something you might consider buying if you can't afford Lone Survivor or one of the good Silent Hill games and you need to play a game like those. Plus, it's starting to go on sale more often at 50% off or greater on Steam and GMG.

Speaking of which, GreenManGaming has Claire for 4.99 USD right now as part of it's 2014 Revisited sale.

mycot posted:

I like how...colorful the game is? That's kind of a strange word to use with all the dingy environments but the weird purplish/pinkish lighting adds a unique mood to things and I like the brightness of the more "normal" things. And I'm curious on how much is going to be answered; so far everything from the locations to the flashbacks seems to be drawn from Claire's memories but I'm not sure if it's literal or if Claire is just being really introspective.

I will give the devs credit for not having a bunch of drab hallways, slap down some fog and call it a day. Though sometimes, the shadow/darkness effects can get a bit out of hand when your sanity starts taking hits.

As for plot answers, well. There's a reason why I said the plot's a bit rushed in the OP. And the stuff from the end of the recent episode doesn't help argue against that.

countzio fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 6, 2015

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

Bonus #1: Dumb things about this game

There is a part in this video where I may have hosed up. Try to spot it and you could win a prize.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess the inventory is a staple of survival horror, but that mark is just sloppy. This game could use some more polish, admittedly.

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

I guess the inventory is a staple of survival horror, but that mark is just sloppy. This game could use some more polish, admittedly.

It would have been nice if the game told me these things about game mechanics as opposed to me having to scour the Steam forums for the game or read the patch notes (which is also where I find out info that counters whatever I said AFTER an update.)

Though I have been more accepting of the mark you can't get rid of because it's now like a good luck buddy. I don't look forward to having to move it in the distant future.

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

Sorry for the long pause between updates. I got busy.

Then I got lazy. But here it is.

Episode 5: Your Brain Is A Star!

It's another longer video but not for the reason you think it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

Nope.

• Locked thread