Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

bonvivant posted:

hey what happened to that one creepy bitch who was naming her rabbits then killing them

Um she's still around but I name my livestock and then kill them too hi

I don't name the chickens but I name the pigs and goats

This is Sansa and I'm going to butcher her in the next month or so because she has bad feet and a lovely attitude and I don't want her lovely genetics in my herd

Curried goat is better when the goat has a name i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

radiatinglines posted:

If someone could breed a dog where the jaw literally locked I wouldn't even be mad, just impressed

Or if it was able to unhinge its jaw and swallow things much larger than itself.

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)

Superconsndar posted:

Curried goat is better when the goat has a name i guess

well 3000 calories a day from less creepily defined sources are good too but I'm sure you know that already

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

bonvivant posted:

well 3000 calories a day from less creepily defined sources are good too but I'm sure you know that already

"lol raising your own food is creepy" *heaves 5th mcdouble into mouth*

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

bonestructure posted:

Doral College: We'd rather fight than switch

Doral College: Our jaws lock... but that's mainly because of the tetanus.

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

Superconsndar posted:

"lol raising your own food is creepy" *heaves 5th mcdouble into mouth*

I don't disagree with your point, but I do think ascribing names to animals that you plan to slaughter is a little counter-intuitive.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
my buttcrack feels greasy as hell from the rank farts ive been making in my underoos and i dont know what to do about it

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
so if a pitbull's jaw locks when it's biting its victims is there like a combination the owner has memorized or is it more like the type where you need to have the key handy

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Libelous Slander posted:

so if a pitbull's jaw locks when it's biting its victims is there like a combination the owner has memorized or is it more like the type where you need to have the key handy
You kind of need a key
http://www.pbrc.net/breaksticks.html

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

I don't disagree with your point, but I do think ascribing names to animals that you plan to slaughter is a little counter-intuitive.

they're really pissed off at the goat and take pleasure in the animal's death and probable suffering because the animal caused some bizarre definition of inconvenience because they don't realize their level of emotional involvement is disturbing to normal people who don't work on computers and only interact with computers all day long

also they're likely an extremely huge fat lady counterpart to IT weirdos except with animals

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

Or if it was able to unhinge its jaw and swallow things much larger than itself.

Every dog's dream

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

that page is the most sensible thing ive read about pitbulls

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

lol terriers are hosed up dogs to begin with lets make one with swole properties

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

my uncle always has jack russell terriers and they would without fail latch onto a tennisball and allow their entire body to be lifted off the ground without releasing their deathgrip on that tennisball

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

quote:

If the dogs don't have a hold yet, you may be able to break the fight using other methods. Jerking the dogs back by their collars, a loud and firm break command, a bucket of cold water, a water hose, or placing a barrier such as a baby gate between the two dogs may be enough to stop them.

carry a bucket of ice water around with you whenever you walk your dog or if you plan on being in the vicinity of dogs

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

why

I could ascribe it a number instead but like a name works just as well

I don't really know any farmers that dont name at least some of their animals tbh

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

Superconsndar posted:

why

I could ascribe it a number instead but like a name works just as well

I don't really know any farmers that dont name at least some of their animals tbh

Because attaching a name to something makes it difficult to kill said thing? I don't know, that's just my assumption, my grandparents had no animals and just grew daylilies on their farm.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

bonvivant posted:

they're really pissed off at the goat and take pleasure in the animal's death and probable suffering because the animal caused some bizarre definition of inconvenience

presumably he's raising the animals to eventually be slaughtered and not for a petting zoo, hth

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

Because attaching a name to something makes it difficult to kill said thing? I don't know, that's just my assumption, my grandparents had no animals and just grew daylilies on their farm.

I mean. Not really. Killing a thing sucks but it's not magically easier to kill a thing if it doesn't have a name. I don't name most of my chickens but a super friendly nameless chicken is harder to kill than a chicken that happens to have a name but is an rear end in a top hat. At least for me, how friendly an animal is has way more to do with how much killing it sucks than whether or not I named it. They're not dogs, they don't know their names, they don't give a poo poo if I call them "Flower Sparkle" or "#42." I name them to tell them apart and names are nicer and easier to remember than numbers. No one's saying you're hosed up if you don't name your livestock; I just think it's funny to assume it's some super weird anomaly to do it. Virtually ever farmer I've met in my entire life has named at least some of their animals; not just "super weird animal ladies on the internet."

The goat doesn't give a poo poo if I named it or not; it would probably care a lot more about the fact that I'm eating it.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
you named your cow "bessie"? hosed up if true

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014
Obviously the animal does not give a poo poo about its name, I just thought it was a part of some bonding process or whatever that would make it more difficult to slaughter in the future. IDK.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

you named your cow "bessie"? hosed up if true

You named the cow Bessie and then later you ate it after it stopped giving milk!? Have you taken a test to see if you are a sociopath???????

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

actually i traded bessie for some magic beans, ama

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

Obviously the animal does not give a poo poo about its name, I just thought it was a part of some bonding process or whatever that would make it more difficult to slaughter in the future. IDK.

Not really, I didn't bond with the goat I put it on some pasture and said "I will call you [first word that pops into my head]" and that's it. I'm def attached to some of my livestock and would have a really hard time slaughtering some of them if I had to but giving something an identifying name is not some huge spiritual process, it just makes identification easier than just going "the white one with the brown spots" every time you mention them

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

I literally name my quail before I tear their loving heads off with my bare hands so they can go on to god's land as good christian animals should

In all seriousness though, I don't cut their heads off anymore. Even with sharp snippers they blinked a few times and opened their beaks. It was sad. When you just slide your thumb under their chin and yank as hard as you can, there's no beak movement and their eyes are closed within a breath. You basically detach the spine from the brain and remove the head all at once. It's death in less time than it takes your heart to beat. It doesn't get faster or less cruel than that. It's just really really violent sounding so it's good for fuckin with you guys.

I love the gently caress out of my quail, too. I gave them xmas presents. They get sand just for dust baths.

For gently caress's sake I'm clicker training my muscovy drake and I'll slaughter him if he ever decides to turn into an rear end in a top hat and rape the chickens as ducks are prone to doing. :3: His name is Muffin. He wags his tail at his name and comes over when he's called.

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

If an animal has a good life and you kill that animal to eat it (or in my case, to feed my family and friends because I'm the worst loving vegetarian), congratulations. You have successfully completed farming simulator 1000. You get some new, young animals and hit the restart button. That's how farming, even tiny tiny farms, works. I just like giving them names because watching this goofy duck waddle waggle over to me because I called him a food kinda makes my day.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Superconsndar posted:

This is Sansa

wait until ramadan and sell her to some muslims. animal sacrifice is illegal as piss but they drive out to the country and do it anyway, for top dollar too

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
well sort of illegal, just get paid

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Stoic Commie posted:

well sort of illegal, just get paid

It's not remotely illegal as long as it's livestock and you own the animal. I could go kill all my chickens right now and throw them on a bonfire and none of my neighbors could do anything legally. Be one hell of a waste of food though.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
ok well small town cops REALLY don't like it then lol, or don't know the law. just going off of personal experience

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Stoic Commie posted:

ok well small town cops REALLY don't like it then lol, or don't know the law. just going off of personal experience

Yeah small towns get leery about people butchering animals in general to be honest. We've gone from a society where it's normal to have chickens pecking in your yard in the 30's-ish (in some areas much later) where mom just went out and killed one every few days to a society where having three chickens in a coop in your back yard is an amazing, outrageous experience for people and their friends are in awe that they "trust" the eggs from their own back yard. Unless you live around country people (and boy do I ever and it's great) people get weird about butchering and slaughtering these days. It's really, really unfortunate because that uncomfortable barrier isn't helping animal welfare within slaughterhouses or food prep at all. Like in your example. Instead of the goat getting slaughtered in a comfortable back yard it's familiar with, it has to be thrown in a truck and taken out to a new place that it doesn't know and is probably leery of (because goats are stupid flighty prey animals and everything new is scary) because somebody is uncomfortable about a little bit of blood in the privacy of their neighbor's back yard.

While they munch mcdonalds.

It's dumb as gently caress.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Part of the reason I have goats is for meat so nah I'm just gonna eat her

I'll be selling kids (and most of my herd tbh, I like pigs better and want to get more pigs) for meat this spring and summer though and yeah, muslims are a big market and even more so if you're willing to slaughter by bleeding out vs stunning (technically I can't perform halal slaughter because I'm not muslim but here at least they seem pretty happy as long as it's just done with a cut to the throat, if they're anal about it they can just buy the live goat and take it to a halal butcher themselves idgaf)

also heres my murderbeasts killing each other today

rip, my family and i are dead now

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
yeah they always just cut the throat, sometimes right in the parking lot, allah save you if a woman touches the goat though

nigerians burn the hair off right after they kill it that poo poo is stank

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yeah small towns get leery about people butchering animals in general to be honest. We've gone from a society where it's normal to have chickens pecking in your yard in the 30's-ish (in some areas much later) where mom just went out and killed one every few days to a society where having three chickens in a coop in your back yard is an amazing, outrageous experience for people and their friends are in awe that they "trust" the eggs from their own back yard. Unless you live around country people (and boy do I ever and it's great) people get weird about butchering and slaughtering these days. It's really, really unfortunate because that uncomfortable barrier isn't helping animal welfare within slaughterhouses or food prep at all. Like in your example. Instead of the goat getting slaughtered in a comfortable back yard it's familiar with, it has to be thrown in a truck and taken out to a new place that it doesn't know and is probably leery of (because goats are stupid flighty prey animals and everything new is scary) because somebody is uncomfortable about a little bit of blood in the privacy of their neighbor's back yard.

While they munch mcdonalds.

It's dumb as gently caress.

Yeah like, if I want to sell meat to the public, I pretty much can't, I have to sell them a live animal or a "share" of that animal and then take it to a processor that may or may not process and handle the animal in a humane way and I really dislike it.

If you want to buy a goat from me, and then have me kill your goat for free, I can do that though, since I sold you a live goat and that's it. Then you can take it to a processor now that it is dead. The animal gets killed super quickly and humanely in a familiar setting, and then get processed professionally. Most people don't really care and would rather just have you drop it off live at the processor because it's easier and then they can be smug about eating ~pastured and humanely raised meat~ while ignoring the fact that it died in terror while being handled by someone who didn't give a poo poo

Any of my animals I eat, I kill and process myself, gently caress that. Luckily I live in a relatively chill area and no one really cares about backyard processing as long as it's for personal consumption and you aren't then selling the meat. If the suburban moms started to get sticks up their butts about it I'd move. My neighbors are really cool though. One of the local cops helped me catch one of my pigs once and thought it was funny. For the Atlanta suburbs it's surprisingly not uptight, as long as you're quiet and your animals don't stink and you're following zoning laws no one cares.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Stoic Commie posted:

yeah they always just cut the throat, sometimes right in the parking lot, allah save you if a woman touches the goat though

nigerians burn the hair off right after they kill it that poo poo is stank

I'm a woman and so is my partner and they've never cared, but this will be the first year in about 6 or 7 years I've done goats again and we're in a different town so it's gonna be pretty lmao if the people here don't want a woman doing it

They can just deal with it themselves and buy it live i guess!!!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
please post the pics of the goats in outfits in the house.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ive never had my goats in outfits in the house :(

here are some pictures of my bucks super stoked because a girl goat peed in front of them though???

That's their pee face and girl goat pee is incredibly their poo poo

edit: I just realized that one of them is, in fact, peeing while smelling the pee that the girl goat did. Goats.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
maybe they just hated women idk. the nigerians don't much care for it either

are you switching to pigs because they're easier to clean and cut, because they are v easy to clean and cut even though goats are smaller imo

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Stoic Commie posted:

maybe they just hated women idk. the nigerians don't much care for it either

are you switching to pigs because they're easier to clean and cut, because they are v easy to clean and cut even though goats are smaller imo

Honestly it's because my property is really wet and it makes hoof maintenance and parasite control a massive hassle with goats, even really hardy breeds. I'd never done much with pigs before so I got some bullshit pot bellies for cheap to raise as "practice pigs" to see if I liked them/how they did and I just ended up liking pigs better than goats; they do better on wet pasture than the goats, carry lower parasite loads, are easier for me to fence in, and I find them easier and more enjoyable to handle. After the goats kid this year I'm selling most of them and just keeping 2 or 3 of my favs for milk and to produce a couple of kids a year for meat, butchering/selling the pot bellies and getting some registered Old Spots and plan on settling into those.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
On the other hand, goat meat is more delicious than pork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

On the other hand, goat meat is more delicious than pork.

Idk grocery store pork is nast, but pastured pork from heritage breeds is more red and has a lot of marbling and is pretty delish

I'm def keeping at least a pair of goats to give me 1 or 2 kids a year though bc love dat delish cabrito

• Locked thread