Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Ugh we just had this thread like 2 weeks ago I'm too tired to do it again you huge gaywads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

gently caress da Mods posted:

nothing irks me more than these dog owners being so obtuse.

http://abc7chicago.com/pets/watch-this-4-year-old-girl-in-command-of-a-pit-bull-pack/472397/

:byodood: MY KILLING MACHINE IS A CUDDLE BEAST TEEHEE :byodood:

go gently caress urself, u stupid morons

The best part about this is that none of these dogs are even pit bulls

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

itt gbs has opinions about dogs, just like all the other pit bull threads

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I kick my pit bulls in their empty nut sacks, daily, and when they look to see who did it I tell them it was the other dog to foster a healthy level of hostility and suspicion in each other

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

i ahve two pit bulls and im so white trash i got a skin infection from living in filth and it turned into a neck tatoo of a confederate flag. I just flash it to the neighbors when they come knocking on my trailer to tell me my pit bulls killed another one of their "kids" and they get out of my face real quick

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah they were literally never known as "nanny dogs." APBTs were developed specifically for pit fighting. That's all.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Lolie posted:

Can we train this thread to Pet Island now that the inevitable debate about dominance-based training has erupted?

theres nothing to debate lmao

can we just link the pit bull thread from 2 weeks ago already bc we literally just did this http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3690461&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Hexel posted:

I had a friend who had an obnoxiously large and unruly dog. She took him to some kind of training at Petsmart and it didnt do poo poo.

Taking a dog with behavioral problems to a petsmart training course is like taking a child with behavioral problems to etiquette classes and going "wow he's still a twat," that's not what they're for (and the "trainers" mostly don't actually know anything about dog behavior, most of them are cashiers that the stores train themselves and they don't usually know much beyond how to use a clicker)

proper training still won't stop a pit bull from wanting to eat other dogs though so "lol train your pit bulls and they will be perfectly behaved" is still def dumb

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Redkist posted:

gently caress em.

i like mine :3:

They'd kill each other if I let them though, it's what they're for

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

Pitbull bite force is a myth. Like most things about pitbulls.

Stories about Pitbulls are more common because confirmation bias.

The bite force stuff is, but they were specifically bred to grab, hold, and shake without letting go so they can potentially cause more damage than a dog NOT bred to do that (most dogs)

A well bred one isnt any more likely to bite a human than any other dog (but they were specifically bred to go for other dogs, so it WILL wanna get other dogs) but 1) most people don't even know what a pit bull is, don't own well bred ones, and half of the dogs owned by even "pit bull owners" have staff or mastiff blood and are not actually pit bulls, so their temperaments can be whatever the gently caress, and 2) if one does decide to go for you, you're gonna potentially have a worse time than if a lot of other breeds do. It doesn't have anything to do with jaw structure or bite pressure; just temperament and drive levels and a couple hundred years of selective breeding to refuse to let go of poo poo when they get a hold. If you know how to break them up you can mitigate a lot of damage, but most pit bull owners are too in denial to learn potentially valuable information such as "how to use a break stick" because their fur angels would totally never hurt a fly

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ChairmanMeow posted:

do these cuties look like they could hurt anyone?

GORGEOUS pits

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

naem posted:

Don't they rear end rape each other

who doesnt?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

I see you do not own a dog and have never played with one. I have yet to meet a dog that doesn't bite, hold and shake without letting go when given the opportunity. Not Dalmations, Labs, Malte-poos, Shepherds, Hounds, Mutts, lap-dogs.

Most Americans know gently caress-all about training dogs.

lmfao

Lolie posted:

You're addressing a poster who is a pitbull owner and passionate pitbull enthusiast who posted extensively in the last thread about why pitbulls shouldn't be owned by the average person (hint : it's not because Superconsndar hates the breed or knows little about them).

No!!! I know nothing about dogs and am not even sure what A DOG even is!!!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Crow_Rodeo posted:

What about my German Wirehair Pointer and my Wirehair Pointing Griffon that were bred specifically to not bite and shakes things? Because you see, if they did that they wouldn't be very good hunting dogs.

Yeah you guys don' mean what I mean when I say "catch and hold." "Catch dogs" (which pit bulls are) are things for a reason. It's like saying field bred retrievers aren't especially hardcore about retrieving because the average dog enjoys fetch too.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

Considering how many of the "fatal dog attack" breeds are "Probably Pit-bull Mix", that's not at all unreasonable.

I mean, seriously:

This is an important thing. Even hardcore APBT people, dog men, who developed the breed, acknowledge that there is so much type variation in apbts that there is no way to tell if a dog is an apbt by looking at it, period. You have to have a pedigree in your face to know what that dog is. They do not have a cohesive physical type, given that they were bred for a specific working purpose (a specific type of pit fighting) so pedigrees are all you have to go by. The average pit bull owner knows as much about pit bulls as the average gbs poster, and doesn't even own an apbt, and doesn't even know it. No one can identify a pit bull for the life of them. That said, if an actual apbt goes for a person, if is still more likely to cause serious injury than most other dogs, because of what it is bred to do.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Crow_Rodeo posted:

What the gently caress is this? Word salad like that really sets off my fuckin schizo detector real bad. Please make sense

I'm sorry, what about this is confusing? If dog terminology is beyond you I apologize, please let me know how to dumb it down further so serious dog chat isn't so beyond you that it begins to look like word salad. This from "pack structure" gbs poster, lmao.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Absolute Lithops posted:

I imagine it happens a lot. "Pit bulls are dangerous, this dog is dangerous, it must be a pit bull." But when crazy pit bull fanatics bring this up, it's essentially a no true Scotsman defense. They argue that pit bulls were bred to attack other dogs but be gentle to people, so the entire breed automatically has that temperament and "no true pit bull" attacks humans. Or, if it's undeniably a purebred pit bull, the owners must be bad people who abused it or trained it to be mean.

You're right, and it's a sad fallacy on both ends.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Absolute Lithops posted:

I know someone who would completely write you off as a human being for saying that. She's generally crazy though. And, lucky for me, she lives about 1000 miles away.

Most pit bull owners are really terrible, including me, I'm terrible. But I try to be as educated as possible so I'm a single degree less terrible than the rest when my fancy dogs rip my guts out and rape my corpse I guess!!!! (They really won't, they only want to do that to each other)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Purgatory Glory posted:

Pretty sure all breeds do this, it's just confirmation bias that only bully breeds do:rolleyes:

Warning, crappy view of dog refusing to let another dog go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZTiGWgQubA

Yeah like this isn't a pit bull, it's an American bully (pit/staff mixed with mastiff, American, and/or English bulldog) but this is p much why most people shouldn't own pits or ~pit derivatives,~ they have to be broken up in a certain way once they get a hold and by the time most dipshits figure out a course of action the poor targeted victim dog is wrecked or dead

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

New Leaf posted:

My pitbull is sweet and dumb as a loving stump but he wouldn't kill anyone. He tangles with our lab sometimes, but usually gets his rear end thrown to the ground. Most "pitbull" attacks are misidentifications of other similar looking breeds.

http://www.pickthepit.com/

This quiz is still stupid, you can not say that a dog is an apbt without looking at its ped. Half the dogs registered as apbts are loaded with staff blood, especially UKC show and sport lines because that club and the AKC allow dual registration of staffs as APBTs. Visually identifying an APBT is hilar.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I rented for years with pit bulls, whattup

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

One time someone in my building had a meltdown when they saw me walking my dog and told management I had a pitbull and they came knocking and were like "omg you can't have a pit bull" so I handed them my dogs vet paperwork which said that he was like a pointer mix or something because I had my vet put down that he was Not A Pit Bull specifically for such an occasion and they were like "oh well can't argue with vet paperwork sorry for the trouble" and hosed off lmao

I own my own house now but if you want to rent with a pit bull you can just lie!!!! #lifehacks

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

bonvivant posted:

I really like how the animal goons are like creepyass YOSPOS people with computers like they don't even care about ethical treatment or the animal's subjective experience in this world as evidenced by their huge fat lady moderator who cooked a parrot to death with a kerosene heater or something, just that they're obese (usually female) people who only get positive dopamine effects from their brain talking about how they train dogs to murder other animals in The Right Way in the same way the gaming nerds on this site talk about xbox one

Yeah like pretty much

She's not a mod anymore though

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

bonvivant posted:

hey what happened to that one creepy bitch who was naming her rabbits then killing them

Um she's still around but I name my livestock and then kill them too hi

I don't name the chickens but I name the pigs and goats

This is Sansa and I'm going to butcher her in the next month or so because she has bad feet and a lovely attitude and I don't want her lovely genetics in my herd

Curried goat is better when the goat has a name i guess

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

bonvivant posted:

well 3000 calories a day from less creepily defined sources are good too but I'm sure you know that already

"lol raising your own food is creepy" *heaves 5th mcdouble into mouth*

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

I don't disagree with your point, but I do think ascribing names to animals that you plan to slaughter is a little counter-intuitive.

why

I could ascribe it a number instead but like a name works just as well

I don't really know any farmers that dont name at least some of their animals tbh

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

Because attaching a name to something makes it difficult to kill said thing? I don't know, that's just my assumption, my grandparents had no animals and just grew daylilies on their farm.

I mean. Not really. Killing a thing sucks but it's not magically easier to kill a thing if it doesn't have a name. I don't name most of my chickens but a super friendly nameless chicken is harder to kill than a chicken that happens to have a name but is an rear end in a top hat. At least for me, how friendly an animal is has way more to do with how much killing it sucks than whether or not I named it. They're not dogs, they don't know their names, they don't give a poo poo if I call them "Flower Sparkle" or "#42." I name them to tell them apart and names are nicer and easier to remember than numbers. No one's saying you're hosed up if you don't name your livestock; I just think it's funny to assume it's some super weird anomaly to do it. Virtually ever farmer I've met in my entire life has named at least some of their animals; not just "super weird animal ladies on the internet."

The goat doesn't give a poo poo if I named it or not; it would probably care a lot more about the fact that I'm eating it.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

you named your cow "bessie"? hosed up if true

You named the cow Bessie and then later you ate it after it stopped giving milk!? Have you taken a test to see if you are a sociopath???????

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

Obviously the animal does not give a poo poo about its name, I just thought it was a part of some bonding process or whatever that would make it more difficult to slaughter in the future. IDK.

Not really, I didn't bond with the goat I put it on some pasture and said "I will call you [first word that pops into my head]" and that's it. I'm def attached to some of my livestock and would have a really hard time slaughtering some of them if I had to but giving something an identifying name is not some huge spiritual process, it just makes identification easier than just going "the white one with the brown spots" every time you mention them

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Part of the reason I have goats is for meat so nah I'm just gonna eat her

I'll be selling kids (and most of my herd tbh, I like pigs better and want to get more pigs) for meat this spring and summer though and yeah, muslims are a big market and even more so if you're willing to slaughter by bleeding out vs stunning (technically I can't perform halal slaughter because I'm not muslim but here at least they seem pretty happy as long as it's just done with a cut to the throat, if they're anal about it they can just buy the live goat and take it to a halal butcher themselves idgaf)

also heres my murderbeasts killing each other today

rip, my family and i are dead now

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yeah small towns get leery about people butchering animals in general to be honest. We've gone from a society where it's normal to have chickens pecking in your yard in the 30's-ish (in some areas much later) where mom just went out and killed one every few days to a society where having three chickens in a coop in your back yard is an amazing, outrageous experience for people and their friends are in awe that they "trust" the eggs from their own back yard. Unless you live around country people (and boy do I ever and it's great) people get weird about butchering and slaughtering these days. It's really, really unfortunate because that uncomfortable barrier isn't helping animal welfare within slaughterhouses or food prep at all. Like in your example. Instead of the goat getting slaughtered in a comfortable back yard it's familiar with, it has to be thrown in a truck and taken out to a new place that it doesn't know and is probably leery of (because goats are stupid flighty prey animals and everything new is scary) because somebody is uncomfortable about a little bit of blood in the privacy of their neighbor's back yard.

While they munch mcdonalds.

It's dumb as gently caress.

Yeah like, if I want to sell meat to the public, I pretty much can't, I have to sell them a live animal or a "share" of that animal and then take it to a processor that may or may not process and handle the animal in a humane way and I really dislike it.

If you want to buy a goat from me, and then have me kill your goat for free, I can do that though, since I sold you a live goat and that's it. Then you can take it to a processor now that it is dead. The animal gets killed super quickly and humanely in a familiar setting, and then get processed professionally. Most people don't really care and would rather just have you drop it off live at the processor because it's easier and then they can be smug about eating ~pastured and humanely raised meat~ while ignoring the fact that it died in terror while being handled by someone who didn't give a poo poo

Any of my animals I eat, I kill and process myself, gently caress that. Luckily I live in a relatively chill area and no one really cares about backyard processing as long as it's for personal consumption and you aren't then selling the meat. If the suburban moms started to get sticks up their butts about it I'd move. My neighbors are really cool though. One of the local cops helped me catch one of my pigs once and thought it was funny. For the Atlanta suburbs it's surprisingly not uptight, as long as you're quiet and your animals don't stink and you're following zoning laws no one cares.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Stoic Commie posted:

yeah they always just cut the throat, sometimes right in the parking lot, allah save you if a woman touches the goat though

nigerians burn the hair off right after they kill it that poo poo is stank

I'm a woman and so is my partner and they've never cared, but this will be the first year in about 6 or 7 years I've done goats again and we're in a different town so it's gonna be pretty lmao if the people here don't want a woman doing it

They can just deal with it themselves and buy it live i guess!!!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ive never had my goats in outfits in the house :(

here are some pictures of my bucks super stoked because a girl goat peed in front of them though???

That's their pee face and girl goat pee is incredibly their poo poo

edit: I just realized that one of them is, in fact, peeing while smelling the pee that the girl goat did. Goats.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Stoic Commie posted:

maybe they just hated women idk. the nigerians don't much care for it either

are you switching to pigs because they're easier to clean and cut, because they are v easy to clean and cut even though goats are smaller imo

Honestly it's because my property is really wet and it makes hoof maintenance and parasite control a massive hassle with goats, even really hardy breeds. I'd never done much with pigs before so I got some bullshit pot bellies for cheap to raise as "practice pigs" to see if I liked them/how they did and I just ended up liking pigs better than goats; they do better on wet pasture than the goats, carry lower parasite loads, are easier for me to fence in, and I find them easier and more enjoyable to handle. After the goats kid this year I'm selling most of them and just keeping 2 or 3 of my favs for milk and to produce a couple of kids a year for meat, butchering/selling the pot bellies and getting some registered Old Spots and plan on settling into those.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

On the other hand, goat meat is more delicious than pork.

Idk grocery store pork is nast, but pastured pork from heritage breeds is more red and has a lot of marbling and is pretty delish

I'm def keeping at least a pair of goats to give me 1 or 2 kids a year though bc love dat delish cabrito

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Don't believe her lies, she's switching to pigs so her lgd can get hosed more.

True

Their bromance is really gross, but one for the ages

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

The Fattest PI posted:

Dear cooky goat lady
The stoked pee goats are exhibiting the Flehmen response
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flehmen_response

Something to do with smelling hormones better or something I don't know I haven't read about it in years and I refuse to read even the article I just posted because I'm stupid. Lots of different animals do it including humans!
If you do a google image search for it you get lots of wacky pictures.

Yes no poo poo thanks for educating me; sorry i did not post scientific goat behavior analysis in the gbs thread about pit bulls where i posted pictures of my goats getting whiffs of fine girl goat piss

I also posted pictures of my pig humping my dog, should I have included links to wikipedia articles explaining the anatomy of pig dicks and the length of pig orgasms too

Because I could, if you want

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

"please observe this humorous photograph of two Capra Aegagrus Hircus exhibiting the Flehmen's Response to the presence of female phermones in the atmosphere; in order to detect the female's present state of estrus. You will also notice that one of the males is urinating in response; an act that encourages ovulation in does and marks his presence while also providing valuable information to area does regarding his virility; age, and potentially social status. In exhibit B, we have some photos of a pig loving a dog."

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

As an animal lady, I weigh approx 600 lbs so obvs yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

tada.wav posted:

man you are so uptight, perhaps you should take up a less stressful hobby than managing murder animals

nb this is why PI should be fun in theory but is not

im sorry ._.

• Locked thread