Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexie posted:

I don't know if I like this episode or not.

It's weird as gently caress to not have any dueling during the first episode of a Yugioh series, and the whole thing felt like a mid-season plot dump episode to me.

I'm amused that it didn't even take twenty minutes into the first episode for Blue Angel to need saving by Yusaku, though. Truly, she is a Yugioh lead heroine. :allears:

Hell, even Season 0 technically featured a duel involving cards in its first episode. Weirdness aside, VRAINS does seem like it has potential (besides, card games in cyberspace is hardly the strangest concept we've had in this franchise so far).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

It does feel off, but it also feels like it was building to something, so I'm definitely inclined to give it some time to grow.

Arc-V was fun from the beginning but didn't really hit its stride 'til episode 7 or so. 5D's took 'til the mid teens to REALLY get going.

And GX didn't really get interesting until about halfway into the series (when the plot finally kicked in and it almost became a completely different show) so this is definitely an improvement in that regard (though it does have the potential to go south really quickly depending on how they handle things).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Im rewatching Gx and it is good from minute 1. Judai being a more rounded character shaking up Academy while we explored character is really entertaining and good. Not ten episodes in and Hayato already went through a compelling character arc.

Gx is one of the best ygos basically.

Oh it's not a bad show by any means (in fact it's probably my second favorite season after the original) it just takes a bit to find it's footing.

Speaking of which, I've been rewatching some of the older shows and I was curious about something. Why did Yugi's actor change between "Season 0" and Duel Monsters? I mostly ask because the former gave Yami a slightly more sinister tone while in the latter they sound almost exactly alike. As an aside, I really like the original series before the Duel Monsters game basically took over the whole show (which kind of defeats the whole "King of Games" concept if you're only focusing on one), it's kind of a pity we'll never really get something like that again in this franchise.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 12, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Because they're actually two completely different shows by two different companies. People started calling it Season 0 because it showed pre-DM content. Same reason the animation is so different.

True enough, though technically bits and pieces of it are still somewhat canon to DM (Yugi and Yami are already connected and some scenes from the original are shown in DM's first episode, albeit in the new art style. I think a few of the voice actors might have come back to reprise their roles as well). so you could still count it if you wanted (and yeah, it's basically a heavily abridged version of the manga with certain bits changed or removed but it's still a decent show overall).

I personally consider it and the primary show in the same vein as Zexal and Zexal II, just two halves of the same whole (they're both adaptions of the same manga after all, just different parts of it).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 12, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

How do you justify Kaiba been green-haired in Toei's YGO and also it being established that ep 1 of DM is when they first met?

Just imagine him the fusion of Ganke Lee and Jimmy Olsen and wait for his legos to become cursed so Playmaker will have to marry him to a gorilla.

Ok it's not completely perfect (there's also that anime exclusive girl that suddenly dissapears in DM). Though as for the second part, I thought the dialouge when he first appears in DM seemed to imply they already knew him (though they could just have known him by reputation, if that's the case then how was it handled in the manga? I was under the impression that the Duel Monsters arc was just a continuation from what Season 0 was adapted from, or was that a seperate manga all together?). I know parts of the first episode of Toei's version are still canon though at the very least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 12, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wow, to be honest I don't think I'd ever read the manga before but I might have to start as that sounds way better than the anime version. Are the mangas for GX onward that delightfully insane or are they just more or less the same as the anime versions?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So they aren't just straight adaptions of the animes then? That might be worth looking into, would you say that any of them are any better or worse than their anime counterparts?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Nah, the change was confirmed even before the month-delay and they had a 4 (5?) week live action variety show holding that timeslot until VRAINS started. It's also the same timeslot DM-5D's used to have, and now it's an extra juicy slot since it comes right after Boruto, so that's strong viewerships.

However, i'm not one to debunk a conspiracy and leave it at that; Arc-V has gone over a month now without real updates in Crunchyroll. It's supposed to be 5 episodes for 3 Tuesdays a month, but now its been 5 weeks and only 1 episode has been added (112). Maybe NAS/Shueisha/Konami want to bury the show forever? maybe they aren't sending Crunchy any copies of the episodes to sub? could be that Crunchy is too busy doing work on a VRAINS simulcast and also handling licenses to get it going? maybe everyone in Crunchyroll refused to keep subbing Arc-V? the answer is likely less interesting than any of that.

Well fansubs do exist for the entire series if you're desperate, but otherwise no idea. As for VRAINS, while it had kind of a weird start this series is picking up steam pretty quickly. Looking forward to professional wrestling with card games next time around.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair though, when has this series ever cared about following the rules of the actual card game it's promoting (hell, even the anime rules don't always stay consistent)?

Asspulls from the writers shouldn't really come as a shock anymore since they've pretty much been doing it since the beginning.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 23, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've never bothered with the actual Duel Monsters card game, is it just as absurdly convienient as the show makes it out to be or is this a case of the writers bending the rules a bit to ensure the focus character's victory or defeat? VRAINS is still one of the more interesting things to come out of the franchise in a while though even if it is basically Megaman Battle Network with card games.

Also, I've been rewatching the original Toei anime (the one based on the first half of the manga) and while it has it's moments this series was much more interesting before the card game basically took over the franchise (not to mention the fact that the whole "King of Games" title is kind of meaningless now).

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend reading the original Yugioh manga (though I warn you, it can get really dark at times and both anime adaptions of it toned a few things down considerably even in the Japanese version). For example, Merrick is basically a psychopath and Mokuba is kind of a little poo poo almost on par with his brother (he was more or less the same in his brief appearances in the orginal anime as well before being downgraded to damsel in distress once the Duel Monsters version came around).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

That depends on what you mean with convenient. :raise:

Mostly how with certain decks/cards a player can more or less become unbeatable and how losing cards is more of a temporary inconvenience at best. The whole thing just sounds really convoluted to me and I was just wondering if the actual game made more sense than the anime makes it out to be.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vrains is probably the most interesting Yu-Gi-Oh series I've seen since the Toei original (though GX is a close third). While it's still a major part I like that the core plot is focused on something other than just the card game (hell, you could probably replace the Duel scenes with straight combat and very little would change) and the pacing has really improved ever since they switched to a new director.

Considering your average Yu-Gi-Oh show is typically over 100 episodes long there's still plenty of time for things to go south but right now I've been enjoying it for the most part (I hope Go comes back soon though, he was fun).

To be fair, 5Ds, Zexal and Arc-V had some interesting ideas as well but they all kind of came apart twords the end. Hopefully Vrains manages to stick the landing.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 30, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, where the previous shows this bad about clip show episodes? We just had one about 2 months ago after all and there was barely even anything to remember this time (AI's narration was kind of funny though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 5, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Now that was some real Yu-gi-oh playing

That was the most realistic duel I've ever seen in this franchise. That said, I like Brave Max and hope he sticks around for a while.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 15, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, despite most YGO shows running for about 100+ episodes this actually seems like it's already moving towards some kind of climax. So either there's going to be some kind of wrench thrown into the works eventually or we're looking at an early finale here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dabir posted:

GX had a climax at the end of its first season and every season thereafter had a completely different plot. 5Ds had a climax halfway through and then everyone seemed to be taken completely by surprise that they had to keep making it.

Ah so this is about par for the course then (I'm still working my way through the previous seasons at the moment).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, have we actually seen a single duel in the real world so far or does it all happen in Link VRAINS?

Also as alluded to before, you could basically remove the cards, change all the duels to just straight combat and you really wouldn't have to alter the rest of the plot much at all. The show isn't terrible per se but it does feel kind of uneven. I forget but were previous seasons quite this bad when it came to clip shows (I think there was a point where one clip show aired only like 5-10 episodes after the previous one)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Zexal is....not great all the way around. As for VRAINS, I like some of the characters and the plot is somewhat interesting (though you could literally replace all the card games with actual combat and not much about the story would actually change) but I can't really call it a "good" show per se.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Holy poo poo, so far the Vrains dub is actually loving hilarious. Not as funny as the GX dub, but pretty close. The dude playing AI (who coincidentally voiced all the Yuyas in ArcV) consistently steals every scene he's in.

The voice acting has been decent too. The "worst" casting is probably Akira, who's only just wooden rather than bad.

Out of curiosity, who's dubbing Yugioh now that 4Kids is out of the picture?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

You wanna know how to fix DM?

Do a straight adaptation of the manga. No stupid changes and no stupid filler.

Wasn't that basically what the Toei produced "Season 0" was (though that only covered about half the manga)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

I think even that made some changes, like Honda's crush was a bigger character for some reason.

Yeah, a minor character in the manga was given main character status in that series for whatever reason (maybe they just wanted another girl in the group since it's primarily just Anzu for a while). I do like how the actress playing Yugi actually changed her voice whenever Yami came out though (whereas in DM I'm almost positive there's nearly no difference between them).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It's been a while since I watched it to be fair, but I just seemed to remember Japanese Atem's voice just being slightly deeper than Yugi's but that's about it.

As you said, we're likely never going to get a proper adaption of the original manga now that the Duel Monsters aspect has completely taken over the franchise, which does make the title "King of Games" somewhat meaningless now as we rarely ever see the characters in these shows play anything else (and even when they do it still comes back around to dueling somehow). Hence why the DM version of the anime was heavily toned down even in the Japanese version and most of the early arcs were glossed over/skipped entirely (though weirdly a character from one of said arcs still makes a reappearance later in 5Ds).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 27, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Has VRAINS gotten a manga yet or do those usually not start until the anime is actually finished?

Speaking of which, that show seems to be somewhat improving as of late (some of the poo poo they've pulled with Lightning honestly wouldn't be that out of place in the original manga).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 19, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

So it hasn't been officially announced yet, but there's enough evidence pointing towards it, so I feel safe going ahead and saying it...

VRAINS is ending at the end of the month. It's a real shame too, season three has been pretty solid so far. The show has finally found it's footing and has been good lately, and now it's rushing towards an end. :sigh:

What gives you that impression? I thought most Yugioh shows run for about 2-3 years on average.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

Hot take, but VRAINS needed a tournament arc to help slow things down and let some of the side characters actually fuckin' win a duel or two. :colbert:

EDIT: Honestly that's one of the things that drives me nuts about VRAINS. None of the main characters really care about the game itself. No one cares about their monsters past Aoi going 'I'm using this deck because my friend used this deck.' They're just tools for everyone, no one has any kind of connection with their deck and I hate it.

In fact you probably could have replaced the card games with actual combat at times and it likely wouldn’t have made much of a difference. VRAINS didn’t really feel like a Yugioh series to me in that regard (especially as we got closer to the end). Having multiple clip shows didn’t help much either (hell, I’m pretty sure at least two of them were only about 5-10 episodes apart from one another).

Hopefully the next season will be better. Also 2020’s an anniversary year so I’m guessing they’ve got something big planned.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So, that happened. Hopefully next season will be better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VRAINS was the first Yugioh series I watched while it was still airing so out of curiosity when do we typically start getting information regarding the next season?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here’s the trailer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=0AoiJZEf0MA

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

When does the next season of the anime start again?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So SEVENS has officially begun... and I don't hate it.

First off, the theme song is pretty good. Ska/Jazz is not what I was expecting, and I could listen to that thing on loop. The music is good and the singer is even better, he melts into that performance. The end theme is hot garbage, however.

The characters are all likable and fill perfect roles. Yuga wants to buck the system and by beating Hologram Man does, Luke wants to help buck that system and comes with a freaky electrical aura, Gakuto is by-the-book but never lets that stop him from being of help, and Romin is literally too cool for school.

The dueling mechanic is lame, though. First, I don't like the art on the Rush Duel cards, way too many liberties taken from the traditional cards (then again, so were the Pendulum cards I also hate). Second, I don't like how the "new" versions of old monsters don't have new art applied to them like we've always done for reimagined monsters in the past. Giving more credit to Normal monsters like Synchro did was a good idea, but it really doesn't help when they have to be these special Rush Duel versions of Normal monsters...

There's a lot of growing it has to do, but it's off to a soild start.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is the first episode subbed? I remember VRAINS had official subs but I can't find anything about SEVENS.

Yes, I believe it’s on Crunchyroll now (it’s also up on places like Kissanime and the like if you can’t find it there). I know a subbed version exists at least as that’s what I watched.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

It's not on Crunchyroll. As far as I can tell it's not getting any kind of English release for the time being.

Huh, must have been a fansubbed release then. I’m just saying, a subbed version is out there somewhere.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

I'm looking for the Sevens subs and can't find them. I'm finding places that say they have them, but then there's nothing there. Hm. :/

Season three of VRAINS fuckin' ruled. :colbert: Pity it got cut short and the rest of the show was trash.

If all else fails you could always stream it off sites like Kissanime and the like (that’s where I initially found it anyway)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Episode 2 is out and subbed now. The action in this series still seems a tad lackluster to me but I like most of the characters and it seems like a fun, lighthearted show for the most part. Hopefully this will wind up being decent overall.

Also, Sevens is supposed to be an anniversary season right? I’m curious as to when/if that’s going to actually come into play.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MJeff posted:

I was under the impression Sevens was a short series and the anniversary series was coming next year.

I hadn’t heard anything about there being two shows, can anybody back this up?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

There hasn't been anything to suggest that. Sevens is a full series and this year is the anniversary year, twenty years of the anime excluding the Toei season.

In fact, the actual anniversary is next Saturday, now that I'm looking at dates. Neat.

Well next year is the anniversary of the original manga but I’m not sure whether or not the anime side of things will do anything for that.

Speaking of manga, out of curiosity did VRAINS ever get one? And if so, is it any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not gonna lie, I actually sort of wanted to see Yuga lose that duel (though at the very least everyone kind of took the wind out of his victory by praising Romin afterwards).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So there was a new episode of Sevens this week. Does that mean the show isn’t going on hiatus like a lot of other anime or was this the last one for a while?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good episode this week, I like the more lighthearted, back to basics style of this show (not to mention how transparently evil the villains are) and the characters are fun. The duels themselves could stand to be a bit more interesting but everything else kind of makes up for it.

So has there been any word yet as to when/if this show is going on hiatus like a lot of other anime productions have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drat. So out of curiosity, why are some anime shows continuing to run during this?

Back on topic, are we sure Rook isn’t the real main character of this series? He seems to be getting a lot of focus so far.