Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is such a loving stupid and obtuse mechanic because I still don't understand what you mean by using it for a link monster or how link monsters are even summoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It would stop you being able to use Daibak as an actual boss monster or from dropping a million walls

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If that is the case then fine, I can work with that. I still don't know what this means for like Superheavies or Cardians but we'll have to actually wait and see how this is applied I guess.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dexie posted:

I still say Arc-V hasn't had any one single moment as infuriating as END YOUR drat TURN, JEAN!

At least Yuya lost sometimes. :argh:

I agree I actually cared when poo poo happened in 5Ds

Now I'm just like "Yeah Crow sure did beat another character better than him." "Yeah another Lancer sure did get jobbed out." "Yeah Reiji sure does exist."

At least I got mad at 5Ds, at least I loving cared.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hahahah

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He is gonna be a one episode antagonist

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, let's not act like there aren't some lovely duels in the first 50 episodes of Arc-V, Mitchie and that dumbass Quiz kid were pretty bad and five dudes jumping in to beat three Obelisk grunts was also kinda rear end.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That poo poo was not fun seeing it stretched out for multiple episodes and having a multitude of characters look like dorks against three random grunts in a force that was already considered a joke. Like a total of six characters had to be involved in that fight to beat them and two had to get carded, it was loving stupid. That would not be the last time Gong and Sawatari got clowned though so I guess it was just setting the stage for things to come.

Like the show was definitely good in the first year, but let's not act like it was perfect. There were absolutely lovely episodes mixed in-between everything especially after they got thrown into that four biospheres nonsense for the tournament.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 27, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Onmi posted:

Sure, but that's every series. Did you forget... literally all of Ruka's duels? Her first duel is so bad it feels like it's gone on for an hour and I have legitimately lost track of who the gently caress's turn it was during that loving boring rear end series of episodes. So yeah, Arc-V Isn't pure smooth magic. But nothing is... Also I liked everyone getting chumped by the Obelisk squad. If the Obelisk squad had continued to be as dangerous, I'd have felt better. And to be honest? I liked Synchro. It wasn't as GOOD as Standard, and yeah, every single human being in Synchro except Yugo, Jack and Enjoy are the Literal Worst, but I enjoyed it.

I did forget all of Ruka's duels because they barely existed and by the point they were happening the show had already finished Fortune Cup which was still the best part of 5Ds. The only Ruka duels I remember are the one where she is in monster land as Rua duels the Dark Signer no one remembers and the duel with Jack and Rua against Aporia in what was actually a pretty alright duel. Also Synchro fuckin sucked. It seemed like stuff was gonna start happening and then it kept dragging its feet, the only thing of worth that happened was Shun stomping a mud hole in Dennis, Enjoy, and Sergei. The constant duels with Shinji being the worst and trying to incite the crowd in a riot sucked, Crow getting the most annoying wins because he needs to be pushed forever sucked, going through every duel meticulously was bad, there's so much that the buildup at the start of the arc was not justified by. Jack is always good, but that is not a feather in the show's cap. No poo poo one of the best Yugioh characters is good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean I remember that awful duel that happened in the second half of 5Ds where Yusei was basically dead to rights in a 1v3 lock and he only won because his opponents were complete morons. So that is clearly not the case.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bitch, I will fight you

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I won't because we got a really good duel between Jack and Carly that was paced well

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yusei not being allowed to lose is seriously one of the worst parts of 5Ds and it's not even just a thing that permeates from the second half, because he was never allowed to lose in the first half either. I think he is the most untouchable protagonist in the series and it's seriously lame.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jack Atlas does indeed transcend the shows he's in, yes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Takahiro Sakurai is in this, gently caress

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I began rewatching all of Yugioh with my friends and forgot I haven't posted in this thread forever. Honestly a little surprised to see no one vouched to make a new one yet. How is everyone?

Also I have watched none of Vrains is that show okay or at least funny enough?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess I'll also write words about what's been going on so far and how I've been feeling.

So we're watching Duel Monsters rear end Yu-Gi-Oh! right now, the english dub. I kinda wanna talk about all the poo poo we've watched through so far and how series honestly still holds up pretty well.

Season 1: It's very monster of the week, but that's not necessarily a bad thing especially since this season actually came and went at a pretty steady pace. Most of the duels are simple and fun enough and even when the actual things happen begin to get very calvinbally they're ridiculous to the point of being kind of great. I think the only times I found myself getting annoyed were the Panik duel where most of the monsters and things happening were obscured so it ended up being two dudes yelling at each other for 13 of a 22 minute episode and the Bones duel is kind of a slog as you watch Joey try to understand how cards work. The final section of the season that begins with Kaiba's duel with Yugi on top of the Castle is some pretty classic and great Yugioh happening and all of the duels are genuinely pretty fun to watch especially Joey vs Bandit Keith. This season still holds up really well especially before the wacky world of the actual rules kicks in. Also the 4Kids dub took the courtesy of doing this poo poo right before Yugi and Joey's duel and it reminded me of the lovely album they put out which was Music to Duel by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPx4F8GkR94

poo poo happening between Season 1 and 2: Most of this stuff is honestly kind of lame. The Rebecca storyline while short has her being really obnoxious throughout the entire thing with a duel that progresses at a snail's pace and with nonexistent stakes for that matter. The Legendary Heroes thing was one episode too long, it is essentially a greatest hits of Duelist Kingdom capping off with Yugi and Kaiba beating the guys who don't have faces and don't ever directly confront them. Dungeon Dice Monsters while a fun enough idea is four loving episodes long partially because Joey has to spend one getting his rear end kicked by Duke and then the other three go along with Duke mostly just yelling at Yugi in infantile rage about how him beating Pegasus put him out of a deal which... especially didn't matter when the email from Industrial Illusions came like 4 minutes after the duel ended.

Season 2: I feel like this season starts out kinda badly in the anime because until like episode 5 you get mediocre duels with Bandit Keith and I honestly don't even remember if that was in the manga or not. The Johnny Steps episode is lame, but Johnny is such an absurd character I can kinda get behind that episode. Thankfully, once Kaiba announces the Battle City tournament things kick up a lot. I think one of my favorite things about Yugi is he almost only fights Rare Hunters and all of them have some kind of silly gimmick that make them fun to watch. Seeker has the Exodia Deck where he plays three ofs and he gets chided for doing that (I assume that's a dub inclusion, but it's still pretty lol), Arcana has the Dark Magician Mirror Match combined with the stupid buzzsaws and even as mackered as his backstory and the dark energy disks were in the dub it still makes it a pretty entertaining duel, and I don't think anything needs to be said about the Strings duel and the Revival Jam Loop. Joey's duels in comparison feels like he's definitely getting the scraps of Duelist Kingdom for the most part, but he still makes up for with the Espa Roba duel if nothing else. I think by the time of Luce and Umbra the show started to slow down for a minute cause even though it was a tag duel with Yugi and Kaiba, it went at a pretty meandering pace and got a little boring. Kaiba and Mokuba trolling around Domino City during the tournament was also a highlight if only for Kaiba chumping random people with Obelisk. Thankfully the Possessed Joey duel picked back up and the Blimp duels were all pretty fantastic as was Bakura murdering Bones his idiot friends. Props to Odion for being the most competent duelist in Marik's entire organization probably even more so than Marik himself. Season 2 is still a really good season.

Season 3: I did not hate the Virtual World filler arc. Two of the Big Five duels (Gansley and Nesbitt) kinda sucked but the remaining 3 had a little personality and Lecter's big reveal of being Jinzo was honestly a pretty fun thing. I feel like this season adds a decent amount to the history of the Kaibas in a good way and giving some relationship building with Mokuba and Kaiba is good even if it does make negative loving sense why Mokuba ever puts any faith into Noah other than he is a dumb child. As soon as the big five return for the tag duel the entire arc slows down and gets kinda lame. Especially the duel with Noah which is so ungodly long and there's no reason for Yugi to be taking over in a duel that is supposed to be Kaiba's personal baggage and business. I mean I guess Kaiba got to beat Gozaburo, but he's more a denouement duel to the storyline than a final boss like Noah was. Gozaburo is honestly a pretty alright and fun character for what is a dude largely invented for this storyline and the backstory of how Kaiba took Kaiba Corp from him is hilarious. Then we move back to the Battle City Finals and I'm... a little iffy on parts of this. So I like the four way duel to decide pairings, the Marik Duel with Joey was good, the Yugi and Kaiba duel is absolutely fantastic, and I kinda didn't care about the final Marik duel cause it felt like Yugi and Kaiba sorta stole its thunder. The Joey and Kaiba duel is there I guess, but it feels unnecessary and extra. I found myself getting irritated the more Marik kept dropping more abilities on Ra to the point that I wanted to keep a running count but we were too far in for me to start. As it stands this is a weaker season than 1 and 2, but still pretty okay. Also Kaiba blowing up the island is a strong end.

Season 4: Holy gently caress this was worse than I remembered. So beyond the fact the God Cards are stolen in an incredibly stupid way, this arc starts out very poorly with having to establish all of the dragons in badly paced duels that don't really do anything other than show off the dragon's powers. In fact both Kaiba and Joey's duels tie because they for some stupid loving reason threw both of the rival enemies for them into a duel very early. Yugi doesn't even get a debut duel with Timaeus until his duel with Rafael which is a bizarre place to debut the card given the level of importance that duel has to the entire storyline of the season. The Orichalcos is also a bad sword of damocles to hang over every duel because it means every duel starts almost the same. The only time a duel does not have the seal activated near the start of the duel is the first Rafael duel. Also why the gently caress does Valon's orichalcos ring piece only come up the one time he needs to save Mai and never again? Why does he teleport once and then never again? Why do they need motorcycles if they can teleport and why is there an army of bikers that don't actually do anything other than ride bikes? The character writing for this season is awful too. It undoes all of Mai's previous relationships on the very lame premise that she regressed back into feeling lonely and isolated which was the loving point of her developing over the first two seasons and she doesn't even get a real duel ever. Both of her duels are with Joey and both are cut off short. The minions all suck too, but Valon sucks the least. Alastor whines incessantly to Kaiba about Kaibacorp being responsible for his brother's death but also never really addresses that Kaiba wasn't running the company at the time and he's turned it into a gaming company since, but it tries to pay this sins of the father poo poo onto a person who could give a gently caress less so it makes everything Alastor says ring kind of hollow. Rafael's would make some sense if it weren't for the loving fact Rafael would've needed help from other people to not only make it back to civilization, but also needed help to even get to the status he had when he got back. Like I guess Rafael seeing a crime or two happen made him think humans can't be trusted with society, but his alternative of raze the world of humanity makes it feel like a slippery slope for a character that should otherwise be able to see in moral grays given the lovely situation that occurred. Also Guardian's loving suck and he is overwrought with angel imagery and he sucks. Valon is the closest to being a real character with understandable motivations, but they attach him so heavily to Mai and have him do a fuckload of nothing until he duels Joey. It makes no sense why he has so few confrontations with Joey given he is a very obvious foil to him and their duel is also the only good one of the entire season and they have actual chemistry with each other unlike the other two rivalries. I should also mention all of the duels in this season are either boring or bad, even the Weevil duel on the train loving sucks and the only time it becomes forgiveable is when Berserker Soul gets activated and the meme happens.

This is to say nothing of Dartz who is an infinitely worse filler villain than Noah. At least Noah has pathos that makes some modicum of sense and a character arc, Dartz is entirely a background force until his duel with Yugi and Kaiba and has no real features as a character. The dub had to do some punching up to the script that made him a snarky rear end in a top hat and that still wasn't enough to really make him fun. It doesn't help his duel is long, overwrought with dumb bullshit, heavily leans on new stupid garbage for the Orichalcos, and isn't even the real final confrontation. They have the nerve to stretch this dude out for another three episodes. I do have to say the Infinity + 1 Knight defeating the Snake was honestly a hilarious way to cap off that duel though. The entire conflict ending with Dartz having been mind controlled all along is incredibly hollow as the Leviathan itself is only an actual force and enemy in the last two episodes of the arc and it has one of the most dull giant monster fights ever where they animate it moving around the screen like Leventhan's head in Odin Sphere. Redeeming Dartz at the end makes it so no one has to actually answer for what happened and puts the entire conflict on the head of a giant snake we don't even see for most of the season. Also most of the last episode is flashbacks to the rest of the arc making it feel like 2/3 of the episode is supposed to be a recap combined with the season finale for some god forsaken reason? Season 4 is bad y'all.

I might've gotten a few things wrong here and there, god knows the dub can kind of muddle things sometimes but I do remember it not loving with anything too major. We're gonna probably start watching Season 5 this next week, I remembered enjoying the KC Grand Prix but that might change upon rewatch and I'm looking forward to seeing if I actually enjoy Egypt this time around.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I should also mention we're going through the entire abridged series too because I am a sadist and enjoy watching my friends suffer through lovely youtube videos

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm aware. I read the manga way back when but I also should probably go through it again for a refresher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God the final few episodes of 5Ds are so loving good