Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yugi had the power to will whatever card he needed, card of sanctity has nothing on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
GX was always the best Yugioh because it treated the concept as seriously as you should.

Until season 3.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The dub would have had so much fun with that episode. :(

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bullshit Neos owned tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

A one and done duel with a theme. GX had a lot of them early on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

GX isn't nearly as fun subbed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Well okay yeah Season 4 is pretty good but I thought that was an unpopular opinion.

Season 3's first half is hilarious it's just the second half is the worrrrst ugggg

The second half it takes itself seriously and it doesn't work. Which sucks as 172 dubbed would have been the best Yugioh episode ever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Literally or was their some device that required a duel to deactivate, because one isn't that out of the ordinary.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

alcharagia posted:

god d*mn i love gx

It's the best one by a wide margin yeah.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Logicblade posted:

GX loves it's pointless nonsensical duels. Reanimated doll! Quiz show guy! loving whatever the hell Bastion is supposed to be doing.

Yugioh is based around nonsensical pointless duels so duh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It starts to take itself very seriously half way through which kills the charm. Season four fixes this somewhat but it never got dubbed.:(

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The problem is it's no Chazz it up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He is kind of boring and sidelines a much more interesting female protagonist.

Plus his archetype gets a weird amount of love.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I saw a random episode where Jaden dueled a dude that wanted to build the Duel Academy except underwater and after winning he gets kidnapped and it cuts to a week later to a scuffed up Jaden returning to Duel Academy in a smoking boat with no explanation of how he escaped.

GX owns.

There is an episode were jaden gets hammered and jumps out a burning building.

Never got dubbed which is where GX shined.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ruggington posted:

remember in the gx manga when jaden had to learn to accept his loss and came back with the masked heroes

and then lost

He also got owned so hard in the anime he lost his ability to see.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

It's just power-creep, I think. There's a whole bunch of old Normal monsters that were never printed in English, as far as I can tell just because they were worthless even when we first got the game.

Nah those cards were trash even in early Yu gi oh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Seeing a yu gi oh movie without Dan Green and the guy who does Kaiba is pointless.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's not the sort of thing that stands out until you binge episodes. It is funny that while these people all loving love not telling their opponent what their cards do, they're all very fastidious about explaining Pot of Greed.

They always tell them what the cards do, just only when it's effect activates,

Which makes conditional effects and traps really powerful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Seto sticking to his gimmick all the way to the bitter end is why he owns.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The best is still Joey using his claw card in the filler season and having no idea what it did until Yugi figured it out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To be fair most of the characters win 90% of the time to rng draws.

Yeah but Joey throws another layer on top of that.

Which is ballsy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That would be Kaiba as gently caress

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

The best part of this is the reveal that the duel disk have always had the functionality for anyone to check cards and no one has used this feature.

But honestly after playing Duel Links for a while I've come to the realization that no one reading cards in the show is completely accurate to real life.

Same thing happens on Yugioh Pro.

The amount of players who pop their own cards because they don’t release a card has no targeting is absurd.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Though the advent of Nibiru kind of hurt Thunder dragons bad.

Though Gran Maju is meta relevant again which is kind of hilarious.

Yu gi oh meta is kind of the Wild West right now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

That card always seemed like a “when will he be playable” with the way Yugioh treats banishing so that’s neat

Yeah you can do an OTK or even a semi control strategy if Gran fails thanks to a new snake monster and the golden castle of stromberg from the Yu gi oh season no one cares about

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yu gi oh is always on a nostalgia kick.

Every set is basically some mix of competitive cards and cards that remind you of old cards for casual play.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Armor cards are difficult as you either completely rework how they work alone and together or you end up with a deck that doesn’t really do anything

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MJeff posted:

They made an archetypes that's literally just that one dragon maid anime so I assume what happened is they started losing sales and just went full fanservice.

KYOJIN
MUTEKI
SAIKYO

I think it’s more likely it’s hard to come up with new archetypes so homages are a godsend when you need a new one every three months

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Crystron name is also just kind of keeping to the theme of the archetype

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m not terribly interested because rush duels look really boring.

What a weird gimmick that most likely won’t survive the season, hopefully the mid season change up is more interesting

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Those games didn’t really have interactive experiences outside people nostalgic for casual play.

Ironically the game now is the most interactive considering how control oriented the current format is especially with Nibiru and dark ruler no more around neutering combo decks

Though Rush dueling seems to want to mimic that non existent past and well it will fail.

Like all the others

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 5, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah stuff like set rotation is fine but at that point it’s just becoming like any other card game.

Yu gi oh definitely has room for improvements and fixes but I think people have got to accept that at it’s core it is what it is and that ain’t changing

Like Pokémon which has carved it’s own niche

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Decks implicitly rotate in Yugioh ZMB, they either get errataed, have their archetype banned out or get powercrept out of the format

Not exactly erataed generally only happen to cards to get them back into the formate after years of being banned and it doesn’t happen often.

Archetypes don’t get banned they get specific cards get banned which weaken them but you can still play them and certain decks power through it and survive it. Burning abyss has been contenders for going on six years now. Spirals were going on year four before the recent ban list and shadolls came back after a temporary death with new support but most of its core good cards are the main players.

Power creep happens yeah but not as much as you think.

New formats can even bring old poo poo cards to meta relevance really easily

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I count rogue tier which they were though yeah MS made them as powerful as they use to be.

Ironically if your a fan of a rogue deck you can play that poo poo for years and you will be fine

Unless it abuses a broken generic card I guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yang zing could be real if they would just pretend when if effects aren’t a thing anymore

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s kind of funny that every recurring characters deck or at least one of them was meta except the protagonist

Which explains why your struggling

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Heroes are meta relevant!

They hard lose to nibiru but still

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's harder to find decks that don't get owned by Nibiru nowadays.

Other decks can recovering a bit and fight on depending on what the opponent has.

Heroes are a glass canon so Nibiru is just a game loss right there

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They should bring Red eyes Dragoon into the anime because it’s a reference and it’s legitimately an anime boss monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like I should mention this one of the current top meta decks is a trap deck with one monster and loving Trap monsters

What a world