Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Beef Waifu posted:

Chazz Princeton is like one of the shittiest loving names especially because it removes his Thunder chant. Tyranno Hassleberry is one of the only good ones, though.

How can you hate The Chazz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I tried to get back into the card game a while back and just couldn't find the motivation to keep up. :smith:

The game really has changed a lot from when I played it though. Mostly for the better, but I feel like they should spend less time introducing new archetypes and mechanics and more time refining what they already have. There are so many things that just got dumped.

Anyways I grew up watching the anime, and while I got off the train around the time 5Ds was starting up I'd say I enjoyed it. The original was hilariously dumb, GX had the best cheesy dub opening (sorry Beef Waifu but both The Chazz and the Ojamas were great), and 5Ds had an amazing dub opening that I still wish was longer because haha oh my god. About the only thing I have left of my once vast collection of cardboard are six holographic cards, two from each series I watched. They were important MC cards as I recall, so you can probably already guess what they are.

I read the manga too and it was neat.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

PoshAlligator posted:

There's no way GX or later can compare to the dub of the original series. It's perfect.

Sounds like you need to GET YOUR GAME ON.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Pretty much been binging on GX this three day weekend, and since Season 4 was never dubbed the videos I'm watching switched to subs.

First off, the original version has better music but man this dialogue isn't nearly as cheesy.

Second, season four is surprisingly good.

Third, oh come on the VA for Johan didn't even try to sound like a guy. That is straight up a woman's voice.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Season 4 had this whole dramatic plot going, then basically dropped it for a bit so Jaden would lighten up.

The final battle also ended with literal divine intervention, which is always a hilarious ending. I SUMMON GOD NEOS, WHO I HAVE NEVER USED BEFORE BECAUSE REASONS.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Ever since Jaden tossed a perfectly good Transcendent Wings game-winning play so that GX could advertise Sabbatiel, a card that did absolutely nothing even close to its actual card counterpart, which is garbage, I sort of learned to just kinda accept that Jaden was gonna do dumb bullshit to win season-ending duels.

Are you implying that Electrum slicing Not Obelisk in half wasn't amazing?

How do you beat a buff dude? By summoning an even buffer dude.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

What, you weren't bugged by how Jaden always wins A Hero Emerges?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

By Zexal the superpower of the day is literally just cheating.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah but he didn't outright change the card.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

At one point Chazz literally starts talking about how much better he is because he is rich.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Jaden Yuki in all four seasons of GX. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's still the most bullshit finish ever.

"GEARFRIED, ATTACK!"

*faints right before hologram can land the blow*

"JOEY IS DISQUALIFIED!"

Like come on, he called the attack. Do you really have to wait for the pretty special effects to finish?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Stick with the dub so the sudden switch to subs at season 4 will be hilariously jarring.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

No, that was season 4.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh man I actually completely forgot about the Russian Roulette Dinner. Honestly can't believe Yugi and co ever forgave the little brat for that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

And then Unova in general happened and all hope was lost.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

dogsicle posted:

So is this movie as good as it looks? Because drat. :eyepop:

It is kind of sort of immensely stupid, and not in a good way. Sorry.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Jaden actually lightens up over the course of season 4. One of the more hilarious episodes was when he was in a team duel with Alexis and playing to win, to the point of ignoring Alexis' attempts at assisting him. She eventually blows up on him about it, to which he has the approximate response of "oh huh, you're right. Should probably chill out". And then he does that, but at that point Alexis just stalks off and switches teams... only to switch back later when she sees that Jaden has in fact chilled out.

Remember kids, communication is the key to any relationship.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah Blair offered to switch with her if she didn't like playing with Jaden so much, and since Jaden had at that point realized he should chill out when he isn't playing a life-or-death duel he cooperates with her, pissing off Alexis even more. Meanwhile the audience didn't care because

Rudoku posted:

To be fair, she's terrible and her deck is crummy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm actually rewatching the episode now and it is amazing how up her own rear end Alexis is.

"I can't believe he didn't want to use my strategy (that would summon one extra monster with no particularly useful effect) and instead did something actually smart (summoned Bladedge, then had it attack twice in order to abuse its piercing effect against Scapegoat tokens)! How could he! He's not thinking of my feelings at all!"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Rebecca probably deserves some kind of mention as being a better love interest than the actual one by virtue of actually getting annoyed when the main character's soul is stolen. Not that that is particularly hard when Tea set the bar so low, but you know.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

It doesn't help Kagemaru was possibly the worst villain in Yugioh history. Just zero presence or personality.

He had the most hilarious defeat of all the main villains, he's cool in my book.

That right there is the face of a bodybuilder who has met his match.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm pretty sure half the fun of Yu-Gi-Oh is jumping from random deck idea to random deck idea.

Also dramatically playing cards and explaining each effect, that too.
chanting whenever you summon a particularly strong monster is optional

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

Now if only the cyberdarks could finally get some new support. :negative:

You just need to ship electricity collars to all of your opponents.

Maybe change your wardrobe too, that could help.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

While skimming the wiki, I found that Creator of Miracles (and its buddies Creator of Hope and Winning Formula) is a thing.

These are amazing, please tell me you can use them on Devpro or whatever.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I just hope we get to see Silent Swordsman/Magician at all.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I dunno, Yugi seems like the kind of character to keep Dark Magician around out of sentimentality.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I don't think you'd have to look very hard to find monsters that look like skimpily dressed women.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Onmi posted:

Well, no Xyz because, well Fusion only, but otherwise yeah Heroes have gotten a lot of synergy once we stopped caring about all the ones they produced then and sticking to the manga only.

It turns out that if you don't have Jaden's miraculous luck, his deck is kind of bad. Who would have thought?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

CORE-JP086 Geargia Change
Quick-Play Spell Card
You can only activate 1 “Geargia Change” per turn.
(1) Target 2 or more “Geargiano” monsters with different names in your Graveyard; Special Summon them. Immediately after this card resolves, Xyz Summon 1 Xyz Monster using those monsters only.

As a dude who just got back into physical card games with the Geargia structure deck, seeing this was absolutely hilarious.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was looking for a vaguely competitive deck I could make on a small budget, and ended up with this Lightsworn/Shaddoll/Chaos thing. It basically crushed the friend I played with the most, not only continuing the power creep we had going on (my structure deck vs his mash of cards, his sorted mash of cards vs my structure deck, my upgraded structure deck vs his sorted mash of cards, etc) but also turning into something right out of the anime.

Like, I felt kind of bad for how badly the deck was kicking his rear end so I switched decks with him. He just straight up never drew anything useful. It switched back to me, bam I get all the cards I ever wanted. He used it again and it's worthless.

The ~Heart of the Cards~ is real.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

This is only acceptable if your tag partner still isn't replying and you have three seconds before you hit the time limit and it's the opponent's turn.

Or if your partner is Alexis.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Obviously he's Irish.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I decided to pick up Arc V from episode 777 (I've kind of been following this thread so I at least know what's going on and who everyone is) and the very first thing I see is Literally The Double X spamming the Twin Satellite Cannon a bunch.

I think I'm going to like this show.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, because it's been surprisingly dense plotwise and if you've just been vaguely following the thread there's probably a bunch of details you missed.

It's a kid's show on a long runner budget, I'm sure if there's anything particularly important there'll be a flashback or some character expositing about it.

Also 76 was conveniently a recap episode so I feel like I'm pretty good on what's happening in the current arc. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Speaking of Shinji, was it just last episode or can the dude not go a sentence without talking about class warfare?

It was like Yuya was dueling a NPC with only two lines.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That is exactly what I needed.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I actually called Enlightenment Paladin would have Flame Wingman's effect just because I didn't see any other way the duel would end before the episode did.

Also I have to admit I was expecting Tuning Magician to get magically turned into a Pendulumn monster so it was cool seeing Yuya actually use its effect for something. A really niche something, but still something.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Went ahead and watched some subbed versions of the original series on a whim and as much as it kills my nostalgia to admit this it's way better than the dub. :negative:

Well besides the lack of Dan Green anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I am nine minutes into this episode and I am already sick of everyone in the Synchro dimension.

do these guys just believe the last thing somebody shouted or what