Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

paradoxGentleman posted:

Arc-V owns bones and if you haven't already watched all of it you should chain yourself to a computer and marathon it.

Agree wholeheartedly. I feel like I'm a kid and watching the old series again. Some advice for new watchers: Skip the cooking and quiz duels. Nothing of note happens in them, they are mindless filler.
The latter two qualifying duels are incredible and amazing and encapsulate almost everything that's good with Arc-V

And Gongenzaka owns :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But the cooking duel has scenes with Yuya and his mum and I enjoyed that because I like it when anime protagonist actually have parents, let alone a good relationship with one.

Well yeah those parts are good.
The rest is a steaming plate of lukewarm filler.

Gongenzaka Owns hard

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Naw he means yuto, sora and kurosakis cards.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

marik faces.

Someone should gather all of those up.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dogsicle posted:

Parlor games are just more interesting than ice dudes. But I don't really know the game to see how his new deck was any more broken than Not Yuuya or the Constellation guy. :shrug:

Small hint: he made that deck specifically to gently caress with Yuya's.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dogsicle posted:

From what little was shown, he basically had the frost monarchs to kill the pendulum scale cards? It doesn't seem like a particularly useful strategy when Yuuya would've already summoned 2+ monsters the turn prior. After seeing that X Saber deck nothing else seems particularly broken though.

Eh, it's what he said he made his deck for.
Doesn't mean it would've worked.

My advice? Keep Watching.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well this ep was really interesting.
Since all of the YGO protags (barring, iirc, 5D's) had this multiple people in one body thing I wonder if Yuya's deal is going to be mixing all the dimension's personalities?

I'd actually look forward to the ep where Yuya goes a bit nuts and goes all 'perfect duelist using all summons' on people.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:laffo: Oh man I forgot about this.
Fortunately the people who write Arc-V seem to know what they're doing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gx is goofy fun and 5Ds is genuinely entertaining stuff.

They both peter out in later seasons though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Added addendum:

DO watch arc-V.
Its amazing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AlternateNu posted:

I just started watching Arc-V because, why not? And would someone mind explaining pendulum summons in the actual game? I'm guessing it is throwing out two pendulum monsters, then you can summon anything from your hand with a level between the two pendulum monsters for free? Do the pendulums stay out, or is the effect only good for the turn? Are they really treated as spell cards? Can I dust tornado your poo poo before you get a chance to summon? (I'm also guessing action cards aren't actually a thing, right?)

I will say that I prefer the show without all these ridiculous new mechanics, but then, I stopped playing the game a decade ago.

Pendulum monsters are an entirely new type like geminis and tuners before them.

Yes. Its for free once per turn.
Yes they are treated as spell cards when in the pendulum zones.
All pendulum monsters go to the extra deck on leaving the field. This does mean they go to the graveyard if they are sent to it from outside the field. Like if they get their summon or their placement in the zones negated.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 23, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sadly no.
The rest of the archetype are all historical leaders and conquerors.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

paradoxGentleman posted:

Not only Fusion, but also Synchro and XYZ, which is much more noteworthy as they are more commonly used; lots of deck mantain certain XYZ monsters in their Extra Deck just to deal with certain situations.

Seriously people, watch a couple of YGOpro duels on Youtube and try your hand at it. The game has changed but it's still fun.

And pendulums!

Schubalts posted:

Wait, so if your opponent has less than 3600 lifepoints, is this just an "I win now" card?

Well there's always Kuriboh-style effects that play from that hand.
The catch is surviving it, then the card is pretty much just a normal card.

Well unless the person who summoned it used Djinn of Rituals...

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 23, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dexie posted:

The more I look at that, the more I realize it's a 'win moar' card. You can't activate her (2) effect unless you don't summon that turn, meaning you have to keep three monsters on the field for one of your opponent's turns. If you can keep three monsters alive for a turn without your opponent getting rid of them, you're probably winning already and don't need her. So, uh...she's really not that great, I feel.

She would still get her effect off if you chain Bottomless or Torrential. They don't negate effects. You'd want something like Breakthrough or Solemn Warning.

Uhhh about that:

quote:

Nekroz Cycle
This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Nekroz" Ritual Monster. Tribute monsters from your hand or field, then Ritual Summon 1 "Nekroz" Ritual Monster from your hand or Graveyard whose Level exactly equals the total Levels of those monsters. You can only use this effect of "Nekroz Cycle" once per turn. If you control no monsters: You can banish this card and 1 "Nekroz" monster from your Graveyard; add 1 "Nekroz" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

Nekroz Exomirror
This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Nekroz" Ritual Monster. You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field and/or banish "Nekroz" monsters from your Graveyard, whose total Levels equal the Level of that Ritual Monster. You can only use this effect of "Nekroz Exomirror" once per turn. If you control no monsters: You can banish this card and 1 "Nekroz" monster from your Graveyard; add 1 "Nekroz" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

Nekroz Kaleidomirror
This card can be used to Ritual Summon any number of "Nekroz" Ritual Monsters. You must also Tribute 1 monster from your hand or field, OR send 1 monster from your Extra Deck to the Graveyard, whose Level equals the total Levels of that Ritual Monster(s). You can only use this effect of "Nekroz Kaleidomirror" once per turn. If you control no monsters: You can banish this card and 1 "Nekroz" monster from your Graveyard; add 1 "Nekroz" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mabels big day posted:

i don't like hulu, but thank you, i will watch it

edit: is this noah jerk really going to deny me the pleasure of seeing the battle city finals???

Yes.
Yes he will.
And you will be bored every minute of it.

You want more crazy Marik face.
You always want more crazy Marik face.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

paradoxGentleman posted:

A new dub name for Arc-V has been announced, this time for Hokuto.
https://twitter.com/Jackydan513/status/533474891010678785
I unironically love this.

:allears:
Is Yaiba going to be Blade.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ohhhh man it's the return of PANTHER WARRIOR. The duel felt a bit sloppy though.

Also :laffo: At the trap being a trap card.
(though since it's widespread ruin shouldn't have killed only one of them?)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Didnt his dad give them to him?
I think they would probably fit more with his Dad's archetype.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dogsicle posted:

I just have the minor gripe that I'd rather have them used by a musician duelist than "This is feminine right? Give it to Yuzu." Most characters are basically married to their archetypes even when not dueling, Yuzu not so much.

It's a bit subtle, but she had the musical score collar since Ep 1.
There's a little green musical note pin on it.

But she's a main character, and all the people who've been inseparable from their Archetype are side characters.
Michio's all about cooking, Yaiba's all about his sword.

Oh and to people just joining us: Notice how X-sabers and Yaiba arent very well animated? Someone on the show's team must really hate x-sabers.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nyaa posted:

It's pretty much the norm now to be able to summon a bunch of monster in one turn. Especially for rush archetype like x-saber and blackwing.

Pendulum is like an archetype itself that requires its archetype cards (pendulum monster) to work at its best, but it is a bit more compatible to combine it with other deck. You don't usually get a stronger deck as the result of mixing archetype, and only gain a lessen capabilities of both archtype. Mixing pendulum would make summoning much faster along with all the pendulum gimmicks. Assuming it is compatible.

Is it OP? I would say some focused archetype deck can do better in term of current meta, so... Not yet? :shrug:

Pendulum is rushing without all the involved steps that usually go into rushing. Draw/search two monsters and bam you can rush out some monsters.
Also there are some pendulum cards that arent stuck to an archetype and are just plain good cards to boot.

example: Star/Timegazer magicians. They need each other to work their 1-8 scale magic but their spell/trap non-activation effects are pretty good and you can search them with Odd-eyes pendulum dragon's pendulum effect.
Stargazer's normal effect is a bit eh though.

Hell you could throw Timegazer into your pendulum focused deck and be all the better for it. Most pendulum archetypes have a scale 7 monster so you can still get 4-7 and blocked trap activation.

But to expand on what you said: If a deck can already handle rushing and special summons then it can handle Pendulums.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xoidanor posted:

I gotta admit that I'm kinda stoked about Dark Archetype finally getting released. Although, I'm somewhat worried what restrictions they might put on it.

Probably banish monsters from deck equal to summoned monster's level.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 3, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Onmi posted:

Indeed, however it shows you just how bullshit the meta is with no Heavy Storm, Set five indeed.

But with people dropping heavy storms on a whim Artifacts become hella OP.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Apparently it beat Kill la Kill in some popularity poll in Japan or something.

Makes sense.
Kill la Kill is goony as all gently caress.
And I'd imagine a lot of kids skewed that particular poll, seeing as it probably was in Jump.

(everybody knows if you did a poll just for otaku Kancolle would win even if it's not on the list)

alcharagia posted:

Please, do not ever watch Yugioh Zexal, because it is poo poo, and bad.

Back on topic!
Yes never watch Zexal. It's terrible and is pretty much everything bad with the series in one pile.
Watch Arc-V it's the exact opposite.
I'm going to regret the above aren't I.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The major duels have all been fantastic and at this point Arc V is my favourite Yugioh series (though this could change by the time it ends), but the huge underdog comebacks in minor duels has been an annoying trend it was finished for the most part after the qualifiers but episode 42 had some absolutely bullshit first turns. It's not making me dislike the show but it's just a little disappointing since for the most part it is really drat good.

It serves its purpose for the story as the Final nail in Yuyas pendulum monopoly coffin.

Other than that yeah absolute bullshit draws.
So they both got 2 pendulums 2 high levels and 1 fusion spell.

I call bullshit.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its why Qli are such bastards to fight.
'Level or rank lower' effects are something real nasty to behold.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Regalingualius posted:

In the non-joke department,

Also known as the pay '1000 lifepoints to Xyz/Synchro' monster.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Regalingualius posted:

...How the hell did you manage to attribute someone else's post to me? :psyduck:

...What
How
uhhhh

gently caress.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Newest Arc V is out and the new kid is already incredibly suspicious his performapal-esque monster and similarity to Yusho can't be a coincidence so it looks like they might finally be progressing that plot line as well. Arc V's got so much stuff going on right now that I hope they manage to handle all these plot points well, they've still got Yuri and Yugo waiting in the wings to turn up at any moment as well. Also, Dennis's deck better be localised as Performagicians, it fits too well.

I also liked how they did the other tag duel where Gon was taken out by Halil and Yuzu almost defeated by Olga since it means that they still could have theoretically defeated their original opponents before it become a tag match. And the next episode is going to be great because Sora is back and so are his crazy faces. :allears:

The Entermages/Performagicians though seem to be the most anti-burn archetype ever, and I really like that. Maybe thats what the Enterma*/Performa* archetypes will be all about, control.

This ep was quite good I'd say. Plenty good pacing, Gongenzaka being too Gon for his own good, Yuzu turning it around in a great way with a real blast from the past, de-fusion, Last time I saw it was GX.
Dennis is shady-as-gently caress, I'm happy that the Ryozanpaku Paradox Brothers are gone now, Yuya got over his dark dragon bloodthirst quite quickly which is a good thing, and YES GIVE ME MORE CRAZY EYES. CRAZY REVENGE EYES vs CRAZY INSANE EYES.

Also the animation and art quality is just getting better each episode! Which makes me real happy about it.
Is the series doing really well in Japan? Or is the card game getting a resurgence in popularity?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kay Kessler posted:

Maybe, but Yuya probably won't run a control deck. The whole "hot-blooded shounen hero" thing doesn't mesh well with a deck like that. .

Personally, I've had a good deal of luck running a Performapal beatdown deck with Cheermole at the center. It seems to piss a lot of people off to be beaten by cutesy-looking monsters.

I wonder if we will get so much support of the archetypes, like the *HEROs.
gently caress me there's a shitload of HERO cards.

Yeah thinking about it Performapal is more beatdown with some ancillary support/summon effects.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 18, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AlternateNu posted:

I'm really not seeing how Sora gets anywhere fighting Shun again. It has pretty much been cemented that he's the super skilled rival that isn't going to lose until the main character beats him in a life-changing duel. :black101:

Come on it's a forgone conclusion by now.
He's going to Duel Shun, because he's Sora and there's nothing he wants more. But he'll either lose again or get interrupted by Serena or Yuri.

Or something a bit more exciting, Shun will barely fight off the Obelisk Force and Sora comes in to deal the final blow and they'll get interrupted then.

quote:

Also, with the new OP and ED, I have a sneaking suspicion that Yuto isn't actually gone, he just got slammed back to his dimension. Don't know how he'll survive without Dark Rebellion, though. :v:

What new OP/ED? They've been the same since before Yuto disappeared.
Well there's an OP 2 ver.2 that shows a cutaway with Yuzu and Serena and more clearly shows Yuri's face.
No other changes from that.

[e]:Motherfucker why do they have spoilers in the wiki. I went looking for when the OP first came and I accidentally came across spoilers for 45.
Well they're more like episode synopses but still.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 18, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

paradoxGentleman posted:

The fact that Dennis uses (presumably) the same monster archetype that Yusho uses seems to suggest that Dennis is going to be have at least some measure of plot importance; and characters with some plot importance usually use the cards that are going to be added to the main game.

With that in mind, Entermages don't seem to be that solid of an archetype. Protection against burn damage is all well and good against a burn deck, but it's not likely to come up enough to build your whole deck around it. Maybe they'll be a generic defensive archetype? With direct attack protection and whatnot?

Nulling all burn damage is amazing.
You can use all the self-burn effects and just not give a poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

paradoxGentleman posted:

Here's a thought regarding Arc-V: how do you think they're going to translate that scene where Yugo doesn't understand that Yuto isn't referring to him but to the Fusion users?

Wordplay is always a bitch to translate/localize.
If they're good they'd replace it with another joke.
If they're not then I expect just some regular dialogue.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Onmi posted:

They could always Localize his name as Fusen

But tben he wont be a yu*.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Silento posted:

Probably Yusei because he wasn't just some random kid who happened to be good at everything, he was an adult who had a reasonable explanation for his skills in technology and stuff. Also, he went all street fighter on some punk guard's rear end in season 1.

I really don't think seasons 3-5 of 5Ds were terrible? They were nowhere near as tightly plotted or interesting as the first 2 seasons, but still way better than the last half of GX and all of ZeXal (except arguably 3 episodes from the end of season 4, those were pretty good).

WRT the latest Arc-V: Yuya being fused with Yuto is pretty much confirmed, Dennis is still suspicious, Youko (Yuya's mom) still a boss.

I don't think they're going for full on Yuto exists as a seperate persona ala Atem/Yubel/Astral just more his raw feelings and personality superposed over Yuya's. At least I hope not because two distinct people-one body has been done three times already

But Dennis vs Yuzu was terribly quick, three turns? Bah. Just when Yuzu got a win she gets slammed back down.
And why'd they have to reverse her best moment? Divingu catchi was genuinely cool moment.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

NikkolasKing posted:

Jaden is #1.
All others are #2 or lower.

Seriously though, I never watched Yugioh for its protagonists. YGO is best for the villains or rivals. Side characters can be good too but main protagonists never do it for me. That is a common criticism from me in most shounen really. Naruto, Ichigo, Luffy, Goku - they were all the worst parts of their series and the same is true for Yugi and Yusei and Yuma. Well perhaps "the worst part" is an exaggeration but I still never particularly liked them.

Jaden is kinda the odd man out in a lot of ways. His hair is actually vaguely normal, his name doesn't start with "Yu"... I wonder why they started going with the "Yu" names later on. Was Judai a huge flop in Japan or something?

Of course I don't really hate Yuma or Yusei or Yugi, they just don't interest me.

Luffy isn't even close to being the worst part.
Right now Sanji is :colbert:

Oh and Judai/Jaden Yuki.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KittyEmpress posted:

All Yu-Gi-Oh fans would be steadfast duelists with Gong styled decks, because they're too fat to be able to go card searching.

They'll make a mobility scooter archetype who's only purpose is to let people scoot about to get action cards.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Off the top of my head: I think it was gimmick puppet leo, its rank-up C equivalent and one of the ghostricks.

The former needed three level 8s to summon and each turn you had to use an overlay to get a counter, this also skipped your battle phase. Three counters meant tou win the game. But you only ise the effrct when you have no spells or traps

The Ghostrick thingy automatically won the game when it had 10 xyz materials.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AlternateNu posted:

There is a YuGiOh tournament before every Friday Night Magic as my LGS and sometimes I talk with the YGO kids around where the game is right now. Someone told me last night that Raid Raptors are apparently really loving good in the current meta. (Don't know how correct that is.) And it is funny to watch them get confused when I refer to archetypes by their Japanese name because I only know them from Arc-V. (For the records, "Death's-Toy" is far superior to "Fright Fur" but "PeformaPal" gets slightly higher marks than "EnterMate" - which sounds like a loving food supplement.)

I did get a distinctly blackwing feeling from the fuckers.
And with all that rank-up rushing that they can do I think they'd be super annoying to beat. They're pretty much anti-pendulum though. Especially if the pendulum player Xyzs afterwards.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Duelist Kingdom was a wild time where knowledge of card game didn't do poo poo.
It ran on it's own rules and it was glorious.
Later duels stuck to the card game rules, then loosened up for Orichalchos which made the duels unpredictable again.

As much as I love the series it wouldn't exist if it didn't sell the card game.

[e]^^:
The art has been all kinds of amazing since the first Duel Terminal series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arc-V is pretty good guys.