Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Arc-V had a guy last episode who literally punched people in the face if they tried to make certain moves he didn't want them to, I think we've reached the apex of cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I love how the dog episode was literally only there to give the cat girl her first duel in thirty episodes, and then they had her lose, apparently just to show the girls in Zexal can't even beat filler duelists.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
She was, but I feel like being a character you see almost every episode should put you above a character who just exists to fight you and nothing else.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like how Michio and Teppei only died (or at least both of them) because Reiji didn't bother to do anything to disable that penalty. Well, and because the Obelisk Force are clearly stacking.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't get why they hyped up the kid's duel for so long and then devoted less time to it than Yuzu dueling the idol. And having the kid who plays for fun just lose, that seems like a bad message.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I guess making Reira smile is the start of a plot thread that'll go throughout the second part of the series. I don't get the feeling it was hyped up at all, tho, he had one duel where people could start wondering if he's as skilled as Reiji and then about 4 minutes total of the junior division being referenced throughout 20 episodes seemed more like the bare minimum to set something up for later on.

Oh yeah definitely, but if it's gonna keep going I guess I'd prefer a full episode to continuing it. Oh well, not the first thing that looked like it would get more time than it did in this arc.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

VJeff posted:

This pacing is overwhelmingly, infinitely superior to Zexal and 5D's "describe every move of every duel in agonizing detail with peanut galleries chiming in every five seconds and the duel just ends with Stardust or Hope anyway", quitcher whining. :colbert:

I was looking forward to Yuzu wrecking a dumb girly girl, I hoped she'd get to rub it in more. :colbert:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
80 percent of Reiji's elite force are either apathetic toward him or don't like him at all, and they haven't even had their first real mission yet. Is he even gonna make it to his dad?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Zuzu is the stupidest loving name because it's a pun almost no kid will get, and everyone old enough to get it is probably just going to be mad you gave one of the most well-liked characters in the show a dumb rename for no good reason.

Also Gon is Elvis now because his hair kinda looks like the curl, and he has a white outfit? Just ignore the martial arts belt and the clogs.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Apparently Zuzu is Susan in another language, or something like that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ConanThe3rd posted:

I thought they were trying to avoid marking her as a main protagonist by way of the "Yu" in her name.

Didn't they give her 'Yu' to do just that, though, label her as on even footing with the lead?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Gotta love how the writers made sure the first match where Crow's victory is actually in question is against a girl, and possibly the female lead of the series at that. If it's him VS Yuzu it's really a coin flip since both have equally valid claim to being a good final opponent for Yuya.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 10, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wait, what? Is that just some speculation or is that some spoilers from the future episode synopsis' they sometimes do. If it's the later you might want to spoiler tag it for the rest of us.

Oh I'm loving dumb, I thought it was a normal tournament bracket somehow.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 10, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So if the announcer and possibly the whole crowd knows about people being sentenced to slavery, since she seems to admit it during the duel, does Jack know? Wonder what his rationale is for showing up every year, if so.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Kay Kessler posted:

A friend of mine pointed out that one of Sawatari's monsters is a girl with green hair. I think we know what's gonna send Yugo into berserk mode. :v:

I wonder if Yugo would be jealous of Yuya having a monster that looks just like his girlfriend.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is Shun just going to beat every unique Fusion villain when they get serious? Their mooks have almost been more dangerous than the commanders so far.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
His buddy is worse.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
With Shinji's habit of running his mouth I was kinda hoping he'd duel Shun. Not sure how he'd piss off Yuya if at all.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dexie posted:

For the record, Dipper O'rion is the dumbest dub name in the entire franchise.

I'd contend that Zuzu Boyle is worse since he's at least a bit character who doesn't end up mattering very much. Picture all the dramatic events Yuzu has been involved in, and replace it with that name. It's like they didn't watch far enough ahead to realize she was kind of important.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Kay Kessler posted:

Some more dub names have been popping up. Since they're from the European dubs, the spelling/pronunciation may be a bit off.

Michio Mokota > Reed Pepper

Can't wait for Yuya to snap over the treatment of his best buddy, Reed Pepper by the Obelisk Squad.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The dub to 5Ds was pretty bad, since while the original decided to give kids some credit the english version refused to.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Onmi posted:

I'm really trying to parse Huey ranting about D-Dog being a wolf and not a dog into a yugioh thing, but I can't get there right now.

"No matter what way you look at it, it's a Fusion, not an XYZ!"

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Shinji spent his whole first duel talking about how the Commons were stronger than they looked, and then he makes fun of Yuya for summoning a monster with low attack.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To be fair Tuning Magician has a seemingly lovely effect.

It is a tuner though, you'd think at least the guy who uses Synchro monsters would guess that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dabir posted:

A Good Dub Name?

Perse also sort of sounds like 'Pursue'.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I want Shun to actually lose and have it not mostly be off-screen, but I also don't want Crow to do it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Does the French dub match up with the Konami one? Some of those names are bizarre with what we've seen from it already.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth guy must have been Sam's Standard counterpart.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

What are they gonna call the other two? Susu? Ruru?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think everyone expects Sora VS Shun to be a total trainwreck. And it totally will be.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What is that even supposed to be a pun of

Apparently they renamed his school the 'Bandit Warrior Academy', which sounds kinda racist.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 1, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Hjalmar posted:

Wasn't that just because Sawatari rigged it?

They dropped Sawatari as a character that mattered pretty quickly, huh

Dropped him so hard he could only lose by Yugo cheating in multiple ways.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I thought Yuzu was the Joey.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dexie posted:

He wrote Kamen Rider Gaim which was a huge breath of fresh air after the shitfest that was Kamen Rider Wizard. :colbert:

And then Drive was a huge breath of fresh air when Gaim turned out kinda disappointing and half-hearted.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

VJeff posted:

The only role LittleKuriboh should be voicing is Freeza.

And even then that's just him aping Chris Ayres.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Really? poo poo. They sound nearly identical at times.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Somebody said that besides shilling that Gear deck Asuka must have been killed before this because Zarc has no 'gently caress Rituals' button. I could see it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I like that idea too, but we've gone through six duelists and all they've collectively achieved was making Zarc setup his field, gain 3K lifepoints and use maybe 8 or 9 cards from his deck. The second Crow synchro summons next week Clear Wing will revive, so nothing Jack and Gongenzaka did will have mattered. If they were chipping down at him, figuring out how his deck works and what weaknesses to exploit then i'd be down for this, but so far its been that the good guys spend all their resources on a move and Zarc saying "nope." like a 12 year old who printed his own cards.

One of the Battle Spirits seasons did this for the finale, actually: for whatever reason the protagonists had to beat the final boss three times, so they all fought him one after another. Then when the main character's turn came they all sort of teamed up.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
We never did get that Sora/Shun tag duel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's fine to have a duel that's just for funsies, all the other series have ended that way. But in them it felt like the main characters and the show earned it more. If Yuya had actually beaten Zarc directly, it'd have felt more appropriate to have an epilogue that's just him journeying around the universes he saved. But it was Reira that did that, and Yuya just gets all the benefits of it even though he wasn't really the one to beat the final boss.