Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

I liked the Dungeon Dice Monsters GBA game even though I probably shouldn't have.

That game was pretty sweet and was better than every other Yugioh video on the GBA. :colbert:

Also, every yugioh series owns except maybe Zexal since I didn't watch it because everyone said it was terrible. I bet if i did watch it i'd like it though because card games are cool as hell. And if they are too long you should just watch Arc V because it is only 40 episodes thus far and kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

I'll probably watch the dub of Zexal or something since like I don't care enough that show to watch it subbed like I did 5Ds. Unfortunately I sort of trailed off on 5Ds once Season three started and I saw that Yusei and Jack were gonna be the only important characters. I watched the series finale out of nowhere though and holy poo poo, I have never seen a show have entire season be redeemed by a finale like 5Ds'.

The later half of 5D's was kind of poo poo but there was enough novelties in there to keep me entertained like motorcycle duels in space, and in the final arc (even before the sweet finale) Aki and the kids both got one more good duel each so that was nice and left me with good memories of the show.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

For Zexal i'd say give with the subs since apparently the dub ended abruptly and there is no dub of Arc V yet, so it's subs or bust.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Agree wholeheartedly. I feel like I'm a kid and watching the old series again. Some advice for new watchers: Skip the cooking and quiz duels. Nothing of note happens in them, they are mindless filler.
The latter two qualifying duels are incredible and amazing and encapsulate almost everything that's good with Arc-V

And Gongenzaka owns :colbert:

But the cooking duel has scenes with Yuya and his mum and I enjoyed that because I like it when anime protagonist actually have parents, let alone a good relationship with one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

at least he gets a better rep than the female characters in any season of yugioh, ever

Yuzu's doing all right, and has had what could be considered the best duel of the season. In the top 3 at the very least.

Edit: Also Chazz is the freaking best but he is handled pretty drat poorly throughout most of the series, which is a shame since he rocks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked both of the twins. :shobon:

Though I am probably the only person in the world who is generally fine with the token idiot, hot-blooded, tagalong kid in anime.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

Leo was fine when he was just the dumb kid tagalong and his sister was doing most of the actually plot relevant stuff, but then he pushed her aside

and then they both got sidelined, but she got more sidelined than him

basically 5ds is the story of the time Yu-Gi-Oh almost had not one, not two, but three decent female characters

I mean, everyone got pushed to the side and became bad, so I don't hold it against them. It sucked that in the three-way duel against Aporia Luna didn't get to do poo poo though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds is the story of how my love for Yugioh was rekindled by giant dorks riding on motorcycles playing card games and how it became one of my favorite series when I watched the finale and Junk Warrior happened

Junk Warrior was like still in every opening but Yusei never used and him and I got so mad. But then the finale happened so I suppose I forgive them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Just watched the first couple episodes of Arc-V and... it's very good??? I was not expecting that at all.

The best is yet to come.

You haven't even seen The Man, Gongenzaka duel yet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The latest episode of Arc V is out and... it was not quite as good as the last few episodes. Though that's to be expected considering what just happened. Still good though and the modifications to the OP were nice. (And now i'll spoiler the rest to be safe because it seems most people in the thread haven't watched any Arc V yet)

I still like how Yuya and Yuzu are actually discussing plot elements with each other and if the OP can be trusted it looks like some Yuzu clones are about to be introduced. Which i'm surprised they're doing so soon after the introduction of the rest of the Yuya's last week. When are we going to get some alternate Gongenzaka's. :colbert:

Also that duel was amazing. Just straight up beating your opponent up, even after his life points hit zero. This is what Actions duels were made for. And i'm surprised how endearing they've made the LDS trio, i'm actually upset Yaiba is out of the tourney and doesn't get to have a rematch with Gongenzaka next round. Though we might not have even seen it if so because Gon's duel is supposed to be the first one of the round but next episode is on Yuya's duel instead. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

I got the impression that this was meant to be a recap episode, to clarify the plot in case anyone was confused by all these dimension-hopping shenanigans. It also gave a quick rundown of what happened to the rest of the cast, thus allowing the plot to move forward without checking on something like 6 duels featuring secondary characters, even though it would be completely IC of Yuya to care about them.

Side notes: I am more and more curious of Reira's deck. Copying your opponents' cards isn't really that viable of a strategy, but I like the weird, alien feel his monsters have. I would like to hope that his monsters will get a real life release, but if his role isn't more important than what we are seeing it's unlikely to happen.

I really hope they give Mieru something to do besides drooling over Yuya and occasionally doing magic. They are doing such a good job at giving a female character some real, well, character, and it's a shame that they're banking on such a tired stereotype with her.

Mieru's basically in the same role as the XYZ loser from the LDS trio, namely an accomplished duelist who pushed Yuya to his limits but is now there mainly to serve as a gag and also probably lose to establish someone else as a badass (I assume Hokuto's going to lose next round). I do hope she gets to do other things as well just because it was fun to see a deck built around flip and ritual.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dexie posted:

That's only in the dub, interestingly enough. In the original Japanese it was founded by this geezer: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Kagemaru

Man, the dub is so much better than the original.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Haha okay so I just watched the fortune teller duel in Arc-V. "My god! What will I do with this worthless Polymerization card? WAIT! I've had a fusion monster sitting in my extra deck for no reason this entire time!" Really made more sense in the original series when they they never mentioned the extra deck at all and just pulled fusion monsters out everywhere.

Look, it's not as if you actually put fusion cards in the extra deck. They just spontaneously materialise there when you fuse two plot-appropriate monsters. :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 16, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Oooookay so I'm almost caught up on Arc-V. So am I to assume that Each of the dimensions is supposed to be one of the other shows? I never watched Zexal so I dunno how prevalent Xyz summoning was in there, but if this is some kinda grand scheme to bring back all the protagonists for one grand finale this will be the most amazing children's card game show ever.

Not really. Each of the dimensions just represent a summoning method and contain a lot of references to the show where that summoning method was the main focus. Since the city in 5D's is mentioned to be the same Domino City from the original and GX, and that in a canon movie Yusei travels into the past and meets Yugi, it is impossible for them to have been separate dimensions.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well, the raws for the next Arc V are out and so much for bringing smiles to everyone :ohdear:. Seems like Yuto got Yuya possessed by Dragons or something since it's still Yuya's voice.

Also, i'm upset they didn't fully show Gongenzaka's duel. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

So the new Arc-V episode was subbed, and it was pretty neat.

The duel was rather uninteresting and Yuya's opponent an unoriginal (but well-handled) stereotype but it's not the meat of the episode: that honor goes to possessed Yuya, who went full evil by... winning without making people smile. To be fair, Dark Rebellion XYZ Dragon isn't a very funny monster.

The question remains of what exactly took control of our protagonist. Was it Yuto? That little scene when the two fused seems to imply that. But Yuto isn't quite so... vicious, I guess is the word I'm looking for.
We know, or at least it was very strongly implied, that the dragons can possess their weilders; something like this seemed to happen when Yugo showed up. Does that mean that Dark Rebellion XYZ Dragon possessed Yuya?

I don't know, man. Both hypotheses seem possible at this point.

I doubt it was Yuto if only because he used pendulum summoning. It seemed to either be a fusion of the two or perhaps when there's no other Dragons around the possession is much more calm than "destroy, destroy, destroy."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Season 4 had this whole dramatic plot going, then basically dropped it for a bit so Jaden would lighten up.

The final battle also ended with literal divine intervention, which is always a hilarious ending. I SUMMON GOD NEOS, WHO I HAVE NEVER USED BEFORE BECAUSE REASONS.

Yusei's battle with Z-One went exactly the same way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nuebot posted:

This series is weird. I bet after the poo poo with the pharoh, Yugi wound up getting shanked in an alley trying to befriend a hobo or something because clearly, if someone tries to murder you and everyone you know, they are your best friend and the more often they try to kill you, the better friends you are.

Look, as far as I recall Yugi only becomes friends with people who tried to kill him after their evil half has been banished from their minds.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

By Zexal the superpower of the day is literally just cheating.

Wasn't Yami Yugi's special power in DM also the power to draw whatever he needs to win? I swear it was mentioned he could manipulate destiny or something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're going with puns but the best they could come up with for Gongenzaka is Gong? They need to step up their game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dogsicle posted:

Arc-V continues to entertain with Barret losing his entire squad and the left side of his face to a trap card, left on the floor. The preview makes it seem like he's going to self-destruct his duel disk?

It's probably just teleporting him back to Academia like with Sora

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am glad that if there had to be one dumb annoying character in Arc V, it is just a random kid who has no relevance of his own. Rather than someone actually important to the plot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dogsicle posted:

The female characters in Arc V are definitely good in comparison to the other series. Yuzu has had a couple duels, for the most part took her only loss in stride, and was competent enough to have her tourney entrance secured when the male lead didn't. She is self-motivated to improve and can fusion summon (kind of a big deal in the Arc V universe, I guess?). This comes at the price of her spending most of the early series obsessed over a "doppelganger" of the male lead and her most recent duel being mostly cut, rather than balancing it with another character's.
There's another female duelist who is pretty good too, until the plot requires her memories to be erased. She hasn't gotten focus since.

Masumi had a really good duel with Yuzu after the memory erasure at least. :shobon:

I hope she'll get to do stuff soon as well. I mean, another one of her friends got carded which seems like a really easy way to get around the memory erasure. Although I don't know how much more relevant the LDS trio will be, they've already been involved in more things than I expected.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

The only part of Arc-V I dislike is the Odd-Eyes Dragon. :colbert: they should have gone all in and given him a deck composed only of cute circus animals.

After 5D's i've gotten used to decks just having dragons that aren't really related to their archetype.

Performapal's are the best deck though, they've just got so much more personality than most archetypes. Superheavy Samurai and Fluffal's come pretty close though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh and to people just joining us: Notice how X-sabers and Yaiba arent very well animated? Someone on the show's team must really hate x-sabers.

That's just because the one duel he's had was against Gongenzaka, and all the animation had to go towards showing how great Gon is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I heard Zexal was really popular in Japan though, so I don't know why it'd be cancelled. Or am I misinformed?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I'm up to the beginning of the Maiami Championship in Arc-V. Chubby kid has slightly redeemed himself by...having a deck made up of hand-drawn dinosaurs? The gently caress? And Reiji's little brother is officially super loving creepy, and right now, I'm more interested in his deal than crazy alternate dimension shenanigans.

His deal is probably related to crazy alternate dimension shenanigans because Reiji is related to crazy alternate dimension shenanigans.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You can't believe everything from NeoArkCradle because there were rumours circulating there for a while that Yuya and Gongenzaka would go to meet Shun this episode and Yuzu'd get carded by Yuuri. So they're not always accurate.

Also, it looks like pendulum summons are about to become a hell of a lot more common with this battle royale. Although I doubt we'll get more than one duel from each main character before it gets interrupted by the invading Obelisk Force! (which is a great stupid name)

I get the feeling Shun's going to help Yuya out in his two-on-one battle next ep though, since he's got Yuto's card. Or maybe Selena will show up to save Yuya like in Yuto's first appearance except in reverse.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

I forsee Sora dueling Serena and losing again. I hope Sora gets to win eventually. :(

I'm guessing he's going to end up carding most of those LDS mooks, including that one that has a name. That counts right?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Joey is the best character from the original series, and probably the entire franchise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Joey also beat Yugi after Battle City to get his Red-Eyes back. So he is scientifically proven to be the best duelist. :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait what? Is this in the show??

Yeah i'm pretty sure the singers in the second ED are Yuya and Reiji's VA's.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 8, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wow. These new Pendulum cards are bullshit and the near one turn kills from this episode were incredibly lame. If there's one thing I dislike about Arc V it's how a lot of these kind of minor duels always have the unimportant guy instantly annihilate the protagonist without losing a life-point in order to make it into an underdog battle.The actual important duels tend to avoid this but it's still really annoying.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

Are these the Qualifier duels? because yeah they're the worst part of the series by far, except for the last.

I just hop Arc-V doesn't get into Zexal territories of bullshit attack strength. Because it's something like 100k attack points.

Yeah the qualifiers were what I was talking about but the latest episode was pretty bad about it too. And the only thing that has even reached anything resembling a kind of bullshit power level was one of Shun's falcons but only in an incredibly specific circumstance I doubt we'll need to worry about that for a while.

Also, I thought Yuya's duel against Mieru was alright even though it followed the same structure. Maybe just because it had actual character growth.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

It also built up to the actual proper conclusion of the arc Pendulum Fusion and honestly... so long as the major duels remain well done, I'll be happy, it's when those duels are bad that it's like "Why even bother. Gongenzaka vs Yaiba immediatly turned me around on the character.

The major duels have all been fantastic and at this point Arc V is my favourite Yugioh series (though this could change by the time it ends), but the huge underdog comebacks in minor duels has been an annoying trend it was finished for the most part after the qualifiers but episode 42 had some absolutely bullshit first turns. It's not making me dislike the show but it's just a little disappointing since for the most part it is really drat good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

alcharagia posted:

i completely forgot until I just looked it up that Yusei literally loses two duels over the course of the entire series

To be fair though, doesn't Yugi only lose once not including Filler? And that's when Kaiba threatens to commit suicide if Yugi beats him. I don't think main protagonists lose in Yugioh, like ever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Atem and Yugi lose two duels each (including filler). Yugi to suicidal Kaiba and Malik-controlledJounouchi. Atem to Raphael and Yugi (and I guess post-Battle City Jounouchi :shrug: ).

The most amazing example of Atem's bullshit protagonist ability was taking Kaiba's place against Noah, shuffling Kaiba's deck into his own and starting off at 100 LP. :v: Destiny-motherfucking-Draw like a champ.

The duel against possessed Joey was a draw, right?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So therefore it was a draw.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

From what I hear, this is fairly realistic to the actual card game. :shrug:

I hope we get a Yuzu v. Selena fight. It would seem kind of a waste if all the doppelgangers get written out without clashing with their counterparts. We kind of got that with Yuto, but he jobbed out for not being a massive dick. (Also, just like the actual card game.)

Shun's the more interesting dude from the XYZ dimension anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

to make Shun, he's probably aiming to be a top villain down the line, look like a top poo poo. To establish his playing strategy, so that when he dueled Sora people knew his cards and basic gameplan. It's common story telling, you have the new threat arrive and defeat previously established characters to set up the eventual showdown with the hero. How is Yuya going to get past his Lanius spam?

I doubt Shun's going to be a villain, let alone one of the main villains. He's definitely going to be a major adversary though and is built up as easily the most dangerous person in the tournament and probably the guy who will face Yuya in the finals.