Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I wouldn't touch him before like the 5th or 6th round, but Barrett is a better overall QB and Jones stock isn't going to get higher than it is right now sitting on the bench, so leaving might not be a horrible idea. He'd get a shot at the NFL even if he sat next year now, but might as well strike while the iron is as hot as it's probably going to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scarf posted:

Is it too soon to start talking about bbq again?

South Carolina BBQ owns. Also what's up with folks out west calling grilling hamburgers "bbq'ing?" Weirdos.

Yes and also who cares

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah, plus he just had a kid. He should definitely put his name in for NFL GM feedback and see what it says. If he can get drafted then he should go, because JT is going to be the starter next year. I'll just hope he goes someplace with a good QB coach.

I'm glad everyone here seems to realize Barrett is better, talking to friends they're all convinced that Jones is the best QB on that team and will be a first rounder or something, and it is baffling. Barrett was so good this year, and is so far ahead of Jones as a passer, even if he might not have the same raw talent. There is a reason he won the job easily in camp. Three games where Jones didn't even have to do a whole lot beyond hand off throws some (admittedly impressive) bombs to keep the defense honest and everyone forgets that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Okay, so, I need something explained to me. I checked out of giving a poo poo about college ball for a couple years, right around when Tressel got run out of his coaching job at OSU. I live in Detroit now, and I've got a bunch of Michigan homers in my facebook feed who have, on and off, talked like Tressel should be in prison and it was especially bad yesterday when he was spotted on the field at the game. Can someone explain to me what Tressel did and why it was so heinous? My shaky understanding of it is that some players traded some rings for tattoos? And that's supposed to be bad for reasons? And apparently the saintly warrior-scholars at Michigan would never stoop to such moral lows?

There was a lot of stuff beyond the tattoo thing and he'd had issues with the NCAA rules going all the way back to his days as a I-AA coach, but I don't think there was anything more serious than that.

e: yeah like Dogg said Michigan fans mostly hate him because he completely owned Michigan like no coach ever had before.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 13, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Great White Hope posted:

Barrett is really, really awesome and I think he's better than Jones but it's not really out there to look at a guy who just led your team (with a lot of help from the defense stepping up and Zeke going nuts admittedly, but Cardale was very good aside from his fumble) to 3 wins of that caliber and go "He's The Man".

Eh, it's three games where their running game was completely unstoppable. I guess I don't see how that outweighs what Barrett did all season. Jones never had to win a game with his arm. Like the talent is definitely there but they don't seem to be all that close as passers to me. He's been at OSU for awhile now so it's not like the coaches had no idea what they had. They went with Barrett for a reason. Like I get it, but people always overreact to what they just saw.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

That's a little clearer. I just don't understand why it was a big deal that players traded their own personal belongings for stuff. Is that some dumb NCAA "Virtuous warrior-scholars/love of the game/" bullshit?

Yes. They don't want players profiting off their status as athletes while they're in school, which is of course incredibly silly given how much the schools make off of them, but there you go.

I just lit the det signal but oh well.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tennessee looks like they could be really good with all the young guys they were playing, but that is almost certainly me reading way too much into them crushing an Iowa team that had imploded before they even got to Florida.

Also on that note, Iowa put out a post-season depth chart last week entirely so they could name Beathard the starting QB going into next season. Probably because he was making noise about transferring and they're trying to keep him. But if that's what it takes to finally get him a fair shot then I guess I'm all for it. I'm sure Jake Rudock is a nice kid who will be a fine doctor, but he's clearly hit his ceiling as a DI QB.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 13, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

They were the youngest team in the nation I think.

Yeah. They had freshman all over the place. Their QB is going to be really good.

Also on that game, there was a UT fan at the bar I was at and he was by far the nicest opposing fan I've ever interacted with, which is saying something given how nice Big Ten fans generally are. I kept watching that beating for way longer than I would have otherwise just because he was such a friendly dude and I was enjoying drinking and talking about football with him. He spent the whole pregame talking about what a great program Iowa was and how worried he was about the game, which I guess says something about how far Tennessee has fallen. So anyway I guess go Vols and go that dude.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rad Valtar posted:

One of ESPNs anchors just asked Kiper if Elliot should sit out next year since he can't enter the draft yet...What? Also all of the analyst are riding the Cardale hype train saying a good second round pick.

I gotta think that's gonna cool off, but I suppose there's something to be said for not giving people a chance to pick apart your flaws. That is such an absurdly tiny sample size though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Strobe posted:

Nah man you don't understand USC OSU is the best team of all time Oklahoma TCU would have gotten obliterated.

OU did get obliterated, I think you mean Auburn. Which is also true.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

JT Jag posted:

We could even start calling them Divisions 1-A and 1-AA again

Calling only one of them FCS doesn't make much sense these days, but on the other hand this is a sport with a 14 team Big Ten and a 10 team Big 12.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No one complies with Title IX right now anyway.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

nope.

Football throws it off.

It works at schools that do not have football programs though.

They typically don't follow it either, and it's not just football that causes big inequalities.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Incoherence posted:

Title IX is the reason the US has a good women's soccer team, so it has that going for it.

It's been a indisputably good thing for women's sports, but the way people on the internet treat it like a boogie man is silly given that everyone is out of compliance and it's literally never been enforced.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Koop is kidding but big ten fans legitimately try to claim Wilson and it's always hilarious and sad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

His one year was really loving good. It's much more legit than claiming Nick Foles or something.

Wilson was a finished product by the time he got to Wisconsin, it's not like they molded and developed him as a player. He was already one of the best QBs in the country.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

No person that wasn't a Patriots or Michigan fan would actually claim Tom Brady so maybe you guys should just settle down and realize that he's trolling you.

Tom Brady owns a lot

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Maybe it should be framed different, but you should still be able to honor great coaches/players from teams that are currently in your league that didn't coach/play in it.

Should be named 'Football Icons' or something.

They do episodes about basketball and, in the case of Iowa, wrestling too though.

The Nebraska guys are funniest but they also put Penn State guys from before they were in the conference in those countdowns all the time. I imagine Maryland guys will be all over the basketball countdown shows too. Thankfully there is no danger of a Rutgers player ever sneaking in there, at least until they get desperate enough to do a "best white running backs of the 00s" countdown.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 20, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tom Brady had a lot of complete games at Michigan, and the idea that Henson "took his job" when Brady was still playing the majority of every game is some bullshit that people exaggerate to make the Tom Brady cinderella story sound even more impressive.

And Drew Henson was widely regarded as one of the best QB prospects ever and was in fact really good when he finally got to start so it wasn't even that unjustified, especially since they were trying to keep him from bolting to play baseball (which he'd eventually do anyway when the money was too much to pass up)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 20, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Joe Paterno: Winningest Big Ten Coach in history. #409

Even if you just count Big Ten play I think he still cracks like the Top 5 or something. Woody and Bo have more, Hayden barely has more, and I think that might be it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Drew Henson was better than Brady in college.

He was worse when they were both in school, which is why Brady had way more snaps both years. They did that weird thing where Brady would start, Henson would play the second quarter and then they'd go with whoever had done the best in the second half and it was usually Brady. His junior year was a lot better than any season Brady had though, and his senior year probably would have been even better than that. Michigan would have been really good in 01 if you sub Henson for Navarre and Navarre wasn't even really that bad.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 20, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

It's Schembechler, Hayes, Paterno, Fry, Alvarez, Tressel, and no one else comes close after that.

Stagg would be #1 if you wanted to count Chicago.

Fry has one more conference win than Paterno unless Wikipedia is wrong. Alvarez, Tressel, and Ferentz are like 30ish wins behind those two. Stagg is a good call though, I forgot about him. He has more than everyone except Schembechler and Hayes.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 20, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Raku posted:

An Oregon fan mocks Alabama's incomprehension of greatness itt

did y'all wind up claiming a national title for this year too? polls before the bowl games are played don't count anymore

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

Michigan fans still pine for the days of Benedict

Yeah but for most of them it's Benedict XIV

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fluffdaddy posted:

I am sure an apology is on the way from the Big XII refs.

lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Part of the reason teams play those cupcakes beyond the easy win is that they are guranteed home games, and schools with popular football programs make a shitload of money from home games. Going to 9 conference games is likely going to mean fewer cool home and and home series between power conference teams, not fewer cupcake games.

In Iowa's case it probably means our only major conference OOC game every year is going to be Iowa State. Not that I care that much about playing Pitt or whatever, but it still kinda stinks.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
As long as we avoid the Directional Michigans we're usually safe. At one point we were the only team to beat Ben Rothlisberger for like two years.

I'm not going to look it up but it feels like we have a way better record against Michigan and Michigan State under Ferentz than we do against Western.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

Its the juco wins not the vacated wins that matter there

And if you start counting wins at every level then neither he nor Patnero has the record anyway. Gagliardi is almost 100 up on Paterno.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
scheduling against non-Ohio State Big Ten teams really feels like exploiting the system.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
eat grass todd reesing you stupid turd

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

an adult beverage posted:

Is Mizzou not playing a follow up game against Indiana?

After losing at home this year they're justifiably terrified of what would happen if they had to venture to the Thunder Dome otherwise known as Memorial Stadium with dozens of riled up Hooisers smelling blood in the water

(last year was the second half of a home and home)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

that run at 51:52 holy poo poo :jebstare:

The Other Adrian Peterson! Fondly remember by all dickheads whose fantasy draft was done auction style. He was a crazy good I-AA player.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I assume everyone in the Big Ten except maybe Wisconsin has an awful record against the Pac-10 because they usually only play in the yearly Rose Bowl slaughter.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
yeah but gently caress ohio state

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

That trophy is awesome and its a healthy snack for the team.

I'm pretty sure the one on display in the PSU sports museum is full of tennis balls.

Iowa toured it around with the original and increasingly gross looking oranges in it for waaaaaay too long. They looked okay the last time I saw it though, so I assume either they're fake now or someone in the athletic department is required to go to Hy Vee and by a new bag of oranges to fill it up every few weeks.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
please take your stalking of high school students to the proper thread

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I always confuse John O'Korn with all time name first teamer Willy Korn and get really confused as to how he's still in school.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Glad Trinca-Pasat got an invite. He got overshadowed by Davis, but he had a really good year and has some upside as a 3-4 DE

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
even Minnesota put up a big video board, and they have a tiny baby stadium, y'all ain't special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I've heard its a really, really nice place to watch a game,

It's really nice, it's just funny that one of the biggest schools in the country had to build a 50,000 seat stadium because no one there cared about football and they were scared of Iowa and Wisconsin fans continuing to outnumber them every time they played.

• Locked thread