Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
e: I didn't check the thread title length. Whoops! It's supposed to read:

I'm tired of working dead-end retail jobs. I want to do mindless drudgery for the rest of my life instead. Help me get there!

Hi BFC,

I'm Nigel. I'm 23 and have no formal education, but I'm trained in a bunch of different things and I pick up new skills very quickly. I'm in Eugene, OR, if you feel like browsing around job opening websites.

I've worked in a number of drastically different positions, but for the past couple years it's been retail. First Best Buy, and now I work at an e-cig store. I hate retail, and I hate customer service, and I really want to get out. I'm tired of random scheduling, lack of respect from coworkers and customers, a juvenile work atmosphere, and - well, everyone knows how lovely retail is.

I have a more concrete goal than "not retail": I want to work in a factory, or (less likely considering my lack of schooling) an office. Specifically, I want to find somewhere I can get in on the ground floor and work my way up over the course of a career, and I want to do it somewhere I don't have to deal with customers directly.

I'm pretty clueless, though, and I have no idea where to start. How do I tailor a resume toward a more permanent position? How do I get them to take me seriously despite having a big hole where education should go on my resume, and do so without seeming desperate? I have been promoted at least once everywhere I've worked, and the only times I've left a job were because the business folded, or because I found somewhere better (only happened once) - which works in my favor, I'm hoping.

Ideal for me would be something like data entry, between my skills and my preferences. However, I've looked on craigslist, and the only data entry position (or anything like it) that I could find was pretty obviously aimed at someone with experience in the field already. I put my resume in anyway, but I haven't received a call back, and I don't really expect to.

As far as school goes, I failed two consecutive semesters about five years ago, and though I've managed to pay off the one I owe, I won't have the $2000 or so it'll take to reinstate financial aid for a while (I'd have to pay for one term out of pocket, and I can't do that anywhere close to right now; I'm treading water at the moment). Thus, school is unlikely to happen as long as I'm in this pay bracket.

On top of all this I was never taught the value of money or how to budget, and while I'm correcting that now, I'm starting at pretty much ground zero financially. The megathreads here have been immensely helpful; I hardly ever have to choose between rent and food now!

Help me unfuck my life and get on track to a stable, permanent position that doesn't make me want to kill myself and those around me, BFC!

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Have you thought about trades or vocational training? I know you said office or factory, but it might be something to think about. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of assets or things to hold you back (married partner, kids, etc) so if you start training now you could be doing really well down the road. I know electricians and plumbers can make bank, but you could look into welding, machining, etc to try to get in to the factory/manufacturing side of things. While careers like being an electrician or plumber are customer service based, I'd think it's vastly different than working retail customer service. If you hate the customer service side of retail, then I'd avoid an office job because with your limited experience you'd probably have to start in sales or a call center which is the customer service experience times one thousand. Good luck dude!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Iron Lung posted:

Have you thought about trades or vocational training? I know you said office or factory, but it might be something to think about. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of assets or things to hold you back (married partner, kids, etc) so if you start training now you could be doing really well down the road. I know electricians and plumbers can make bank, but you could look into welding, machining, etc to try to get in to the factory/manufacturing side of things. While careers like being an electrician or plumber are customer service based, I'd think it's vastly different than working retail customer service. If you hate the customer service side of retail, then I'd avoid an office job because with your limited experience you'd probably have to start in sales or a call center which is the customer service experience times one thousand. Good luck dude!

Something like a skilled trade would be a pretty good fit for me, I think. I was a woodworker for about 20 months, doing finished and upholstered (either/or, not both) cabinets, primarily upholstered. That was enjoyable and stress-free - I find that once I get into a groove, I can generally work all day with very little need for breaks and very little fatigue. Something like woodworking or machining might be a good way to go. Do you know of any good resources to read up on how to get started in those fields?

Maybe I should expand on my work experience a bit. I worked at a car audio shop for a couple years until it closed, becoming retail supervisor along the way (really, my job involved the same sales poo poo along with some bonus paperwork for tracking and planning inventory and purchases). After that, I didn't do poo poo for a couple years - I went to college for two terms, though, with the aforementioned lack of success. I moved up to Washington and was one of three people in a small woodworking company until that situation blew up and the company stopped being active (technically still around, but not making revenue or selling products). I moved back to Oregon, worked at Best Buy for 18 months, and I've working at the ecig shop for about 6 months now.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Just off the top of my head:
- You need to be looking on sites other than craigslist for jobs. Try Indeed and Monster (is Monster still decent? Dunno)
- Post your resume here or I think we have a resume thread
- Get on LinkedIn
- The easiest way to get hired somewhere is to know somebody that works there. Do you have any friends that work for places you might like to work?
- The whole thing about the "$2000 out of pocket to resume financial aid" - what? Can you explain this in detail? Your situation will dramatically improve if you can get into a votech or community college. Give us more info so we can help you figure that situation out.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Just off the top of my head:
- You need to be looking on sites other than craigslist for jobs. Try Indeed and Monster (is Monster still decent? Dunno)
- Post your resume here or I think we have a resume thread
- Get on LinkedIn
When I say craigslist, I mean Indeed and Craigslist - I'll check out Monster, as well. Any other recommendations?

- The easiest way to get hired somewhere is to know somebody that works there. Do you have any friends that work for places you might like to work?
I've asked around, and nobody's work who might be able to recommend me to a better job is hiring. I'll keep on this, though.

- The whole thing about the "$2000 out of pocket to resume financial aid" - what? Can you explain this in detail? Your situation will dramatically improve if you can get into a votech or community college. Give us more info so we can help you figure that situation out.
Alright:

Due to failing a semester at community college while on academic probation, my student aid was terminated (pending further review) and I owed the school for that money. I managed to pay back that failed term a little while ago, but when I spoke to the academic advisor at Lane (the community college) she said I'd be very unlikely to receive benefits until I 'showed willing,' so to speak, and paid for a term out of pocket. At that point I would submit a request for reevaluation and make my case, and they'd approve me or not. Considering the case I can make, I'm fairly sure they will, but until I can pay for that one term, I'm out of luck (at least, that's what I've been advised).

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Ok, well that is fixable.

You need to fill out the FAFSA right now, and you could get cash starting with the fall semester. I looked at Lane's website and it's hard to tell, but I believe they also offer (or can arrange for) federal student loans.

All of that will be for naught if you fail again. You've indicated that a bunch of different things sound good to you, but you should really do some soul searching and try to pick something you know you can stick with and finish the degree. Unless you just want to make furniture, in that case you probably don't need to return to school.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You could always start the glamorous and promising career in out side b2b sales.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Something like a skilled trade would be a pretty good fit for me, I think. I was a woodworker for about 20 months, doing finished and upholstered (either/or, not both) cabinets, primarily upholstered. That was enjoyable and stress-free - I find that once I get into a groove, I can generally work all day with very little need for breaks and very little fatigue. Something like woodworking or machining might be a good way to go. Do you know of any good resources to read up on how to get started in those fields?

Maybe I should expand on my work experience a bit. I worked at a car audio shop for a couple years until it closed, becoming retail supervisor along the way (really, my job involved the same sales poo poo along with some bonus paperwork for tracking and planning inventory and purchases). After that, I didn't do poo poo for a couple years - I went to college for two terms, though, with the aforementioned lack of success. I moved up to Washington and was one of three people in a small woodworking company until that situation blew up and the company stopped being active (technically still around, but not making revenue or selling products). I moved back to Oregon, worked at Best Buy for 18 months, and I've working at the ecig shop for about 6 months now.

I can't advise you to go in to woodworking because my dad made me promise not to do that - he was a custom cabinetmaker for 20+ years. He loved it, but wasn't the best businessman (self-admittedly) and it was really hard on his back. I'd honestly love to do it, but you need to be really good at your craft. It sounds like you actually have a pretty good bit of experience, so I bet a shop would be willing to hire you in another starting position. The guys who own these shops make bank now making basic but solid cabinets and home stuff with good quality wood and even composite wood.

I'd say stop back in at the shops you used to work at and see if they have any leads if you're interested in pursuing that again, unless you burned any bridges. Unfortunately I don't have any good resources, but if you're interested in other trades I'd just google "beginning electrician in OR" or whatever the case is. Lots of them either start at a vocational tech place, or you start out as an apprentice. There's a professional electricians thread somewhere on the forums, but I'm not sure if its buried in BFC or somewhere else unfortunately.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I would highly recommend learning some sort of skilled trade, but if you really want mindless drudgery where you just punch a clock, see if there are any distribution warehouses in your area.

You sound a little like one of my brothers. He just wants to put his 40 in somewhere he can make a little money, go home and do whatever he wants. He works at a Home Depot distribution center. Goods come in on trucks from one side, they get sorted and put on outgoing trucks on the other side. He works his shift and goes home. There are some other companies in my area hiring for warehouse positions as well. Wal-Mart has a big banner up with a 15 dollar an hour starting wage for distribution center workers. There's a big food service company that is always hiring for their giant center here as well. The pay is decent and there are benefits, but the work can be hard.

If I was in your situation, I would look into learning a construction related trade. If you can show up on time and follow instructions you should be able to find work. If you're not an idiot people will teach you things and you can move up to better positions. A cousin of mine started out literally digging trenches for a plumbing crew and moved his way up over the years and now makes a pretty decent living.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'll type out all of my responses when I get home tonight, but in the meantime, I did the fafsa estimate calculator, and I'd only have to take out about 8k per year in loans (at least, while I'm at Lane). I've considered going the financial or computer engineering route, since I'm great with numbers and pretty intelligent. I've also looked into other engineering careers - but none seem as interesting as computer engineering, specifically microcode or other low level optimization. That route has the benefit of higher pay than labor or most skilled trades, but I am leaning toward finding somewhere I can punch in and check out mentally, 40 hours a week for the rest of my working life. That means data entry, assembly, or labor, I think.

I think before I go one way or the other, I need to decide which path in life I want to take. I'm still interested in any advice, words of warning or encouragement, or whatever else BFC has to say. I'm at a turning point, and need to choose one path or another (broadly, school or trade).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

but I am leaning toward finding somewhere I can punch in and check out mentally, 40 hours a week for the rest of my working life. That means data entry, assembly, or labor, I think.
Well, financially, that's a terrible idea. It's possible to move up from those sorts of low-paying entry-level jobs into management or working yourself and make more money, but you can't do that if you plan to just check out mentally at work every day.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but a severe lack of money can buy lots of misery. If you don't think you'll ever have any costly interests like kids, buying a house, traveling overseas, retiring early, etc. then maybe you can get by on a low-wage job. But why would you want to, if you're smart enough for a professional career?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Cicero posted:

Well, financially, that's a terrible idea. It's possible to move up from those sorts of low-paying entry-level jobs into management or working yourself and make more money, but you can't do that if you plan to just check out mentally at work every day.

I wouldn't say that, in the factory environment I work at the on floor supervisors get paid decent above the base laborer rate, they might do an extra hour or 2 unpaid overtime every few days, but other than that they checkout at the end of the day and take nothing home from work.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Cicero posted:

Money doesn't buy happiness, but a severe lack of money can buy lots of misery. If you don't think you'll ever have any costly interests like kids, buying a house, traveling overseas, retiring early, etc. then maybe you can get by on a low-wage job. But why would you want to, if you're smart enough for a professional career?

I suppose that was overly reductionist - I meant something like construction or a trade where I do work more with my hands than my head.

You're probably right, though. Putting myself in a blue collar or labor career would probably be a waste of my capabilities, financially speaking. I don't plan on having children or a family, but growing up with money and moving to poverty as a teenager has taught me just how valuable financial freedom is. Still, it's possible to retire at a reasonable age without worrying about money while working in a more physical field, isn't it?

Edit, thank you poster above

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 15, 2015

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'll type out all of my responses when I get home tonight, but in the meantime, I did the fafsa estimate calculator, and I'd only have to take out about 8k per year in loans (at least, while I'm at Lane). I've considered going the financial or computer engineering route, since I'm great with numbers and pretty intelligent. I've also looked into other engineering careers - but none seem as interesting as computer engineering, specifically microcode or other low level optimization. That route has the benefit of higher pay than labor or most skilled trades, but I am leaning toward finding somewhere I can punch in and check out mentally, 40 hours a week for the rest of my working life. That means data entry, assembly, or labor, I think.

I think before I go one way or the other, I need to decide which path in life I want to take. I'm still interested in any advice, words of warning or encouragement, or whatever else BFC has to say. I'm at a turning point, and need to choose one path or another (broadly, school or trade).
Where to start... that you can flip flop between engineering and data entry/labor/etc is somewhat worrying in my opinion. Getting a degree in any kind of engineering is loving hard and the decision shouldn't be taken lightly. You can absolutely work a "40/wk and punch out" type of job in engineering but it heavily depends on the company and you will probably not find a good company for a few years after graduation (in my experience anyway). So to get through engineering school you are realistically looking at 5-6 years of working well over 40/wk (school + job combined) plus once you finish, you should be prepared for the possibility that you will have to spend significant time at home doing projects or learning in some other way to make yourself marketable enough to get into that sweet gig with a good company.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
You should consider the military. In the Navy, you can:

- sail the seven seas

- put your mind at ease

- protect the motherland

- join your fellow man

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Where to start... that you can flip flop between engineering and data entry/labor/etc is somewhat worrying in my opinion. Getting a degree in any kind of engineering is loving hard and the decision shouldn't be taken lightly. You can absolutely work a "40/wk and punch out" type of job in engineering but it heavily depends on the company and you will probably not find a good company for a few years after graduation (in my experience anyway). So to get through engineering school you are realistically looking at 5-6 years of working well over 40/wk (school + job combined) plus once you finish, you should be prepared for the possibility that you will have to spend significant time at home doing projects or learning in some other way to make yourself marketable enough to get into that sweet gig with a good company.

That's precisely the source of my indecision. I would have a much more financially successful life if I went that route, but I would have much less time for myself - hobbies, friends, whatever. I would also invest a lot more time and energy into work - hopefully, work that I find fulfilling.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

There are happy mediums and alternatives too. I work with software engineers who got hired with no formal training, they're self taught. If you can demonstrate that you can code, somebody will hire you.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
If you go to engineering school so you can get a higher paying job, realize that none of those jobs are going to let you mentally check out for 8 hours a day. They are paying you to think.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sounds kind of like you like the trades but want to by more of a white collar professional. If you go the school route you could consider civil engineering with a construction management track or go straight construction management degree. As a CM you typically work more than 40 but you get to make things happen and you are paid pretty good right away and can work up to project manager and typically make 100K+.

Also if you work a trade you can make great money but you also can make nothing if no construction is happening.

The electrical lineman at my company all make a killing (more than most the engineers).

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

JewKiller 3000 posted:

If you go to engineering school so you can get a higher paying job, realize that none of those jobs are going to let you mentally check out for 8 hours a day. They are paying you to think.
Uh yeah, that is a really important distinction. I read his post initially thinking he was referring to not answering calls or emails after hours.

If you don't want to use your brain at work don't become an engineer, holy poo poo :stonk:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I used to work at Amazon and currently work at Google as a software engineer. I usually just work 40-hour weeks, including lunch. So far hasn't been a problem. Sure, I could probably advance up the ladder faster if I put in more hours, but I'm already paid very well, and unlike most of the guys my age, I have a family. I think you can definitely get a 40/week (outside of occasional crunch) job as a engineer, as long as it's something you actively look for in a company.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Uh yeah, that is a really important distinction. I read his post initially thinking he was referring to not answering calls or emails after hours.

If you don't want to use your brain at work don't become an engineer, holy poo poo :stonk:

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Sorry for any confusion, but I've already addressed this:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That's precisely the source of my indecision. I would have a much more financially successful life if I went that route, but I would have much less time for myself - hobbies, friends, whatever. I would also invest a lot more time and energy into work - hopefully, work that I find fulfilling.

What I meant by that is that I don't think that I can have both; the way I see it, I'm choosing between money and happiness. That's why I have a decision in front of me. If I thought I could live my ideal life (9-5 work with little mental involvement) and also be an engineer, I wouldn't have a problem: I'd just go to school and do that.

Iron Lung posted:

I can't advise you to go in to woodworking because my dad made me promise not to do that - he was a custom cabinetmaker for 20+ years. He loved it, but wasn't the best businessman (self-admittedly) and it was really hard on his back. I'd honestly love to do it, but you need to be really good at your craft. It sounds like you actually have a pretty good bit of experience, so I bet a shop would be willing to hire you in another starting position. The guys who own these shops make bank now making basic but solid cabinets and home stuff with good quality wood and even composite wood.

I'd say stop back in at the shops you used to work at and see if they have any leads if you're interested in pursuing that again, unless you burned any bridges. Unfortunately I don't have any good resources, but if you're interested in other trades I'd just google "beginning electrician in OR" or whatever the case is. Lots of them either start at a vocational tech place, or you start out as an apprentice. There's a professional electricians thread somewhere on the forums, but I'm not sure if its buried in BFC or somewhere else unfortunately.
Unfortunately, the woodworking shop I used to work at no longer really exists - the company is still there, but they don't make anything or sell anything. I might go around to various woodshops and talk with the shop manager/owner and see if they might be interested in taking on an apprentice, though.

skipdogg posted:

I would highly recommend learning some sort of skilled trade, but if you really want mindless drudgery where you just punch a clock, see if there are any distribution warehouses in your area.

You sound a little like one of my brothers. He just wants to put his 40 in somewhere he can make a little money, go home and do whatever he wants. He works at a Home Depot distribution center. Goods come in on trucks from one side, they get sorted and put on outgoing trucks on the other side. He works his shift and goes home. There are some other companies in my area hiring for warehouse positions as well. Wal-Mart has a big banner up with a 15 dollar an hour starting wage for distribution center workers. There's a big food service company that is always hiring for their giant center here as well. The pay is decent and there are benefits, but the work can be hard.

If I was in your situation, I would look into learning a construction related trade. If you can show up on time and follow instructions you should be able to find work. If you're not an idiot people will teach you things and you can move up to better positions. A cousin of mine started out literally digging trenches for a plumbing crew and moved his way up over the years and now makes a pretty decent living.
That doesn't sound too bad (distribution center) but I worry about my health as I grow older. What sort of advancement potential is there in a job like that, and is it something I can do after I'm 35?

Zero VGS posted:

You should consider the military. In the Navy, you can:

- sail the seven seas

- put your mind at ease

- protect the motherland

- join your fellow man
I've considered the military as a career path in the past, something like working in the Navy or Air Force, but morally and philosophically I'm pretty opposed to harm, and I'd rather not work for an organization that exists to kill others.

There are happy mediums and alternatives too. I work with software engineers who got hired with no formal training, they're self taught. If you can demonstrate that you can code, somebody will hire you.
That's true. I'm not really interested in becoming a software engineer (at least long-term), but if you have any idea how to get into more low-level fields without school, I'm definitely interested. Is it a case of starting at the bottom (or near the bottom) and working my way up?

spwrozek posted:

Sounds kind of like you like the trades but want to by more of a white collar professional. If you go the school route you could consider civil engineering with a construction management track or go straight construction management degree. As a CM you typically work more than 40 but you get to make things happen and you are paid pretty good right away and can work up to project manager and typically make 100K+.

Also if you work a trade you can make great money but you also can make nothing if no construction is happening.

The electrical lineman at my company all make a killing (more than most the engineers).
That doesn't sound too bad at all...the only fear I really have about this route is, as you said, consistently working. I suppose that isn't too much of a concern if I find a job at a large company, though. What does a civil engineer or construction manager/project manager typically do? Can you give me an example or two of a day in the life?

Cicero posted:

I used to work at Amazon and currently work at Google as a software engineer. I usually just work 40-hour weeks, including lunch. So far hasn't been a problem. Sure, I could probably advance up the ladder faster if I put in more hours, but I'm already paid very well, and unlike most of the guys my age, I have a family. I think you can definitely get a 40/week (outside of occasional crunch) job as a engineer, as long as it's something you actively look for in a company.
That is the sort of scenario I'd be looking for as an engineer, if I go that route. However, the sort of engineering fields I'd be most interested in are pretty in-depth and math-heavy (microcode design, designing/optimizing algorithms for compression or de/coding, even possibly circuit design) and something tells me you're expected to take your work home. If anyone with experience in something like what I've mentioned has any input, that'd be really valuable here in specific.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Please don't become an engineer if you want to check out.

This is my description of the jobs I've seen and been in my past experience. This is mostly from job experience in production plants - mainly power generation and chemical production.

Mechanical/Electrical/Civil: Be prepared to work hard at math and understand/apply equations to real life situations for 4.5 years while scrambling to get enough co-op experience along with a high enough GPA to stay relevant, get a lovely first job, and bust your rear end for 2 years so you can get a good job. I'm barely past this point. I love what I'm doing and work is actually fun and engaging (it wasn't in that old job) and I find a great sense of purpose in life through it, but it's been a ride to get here and I work harder now than I did in school. For the first 5 years of post-bachelor engineering you're just sitting there trying to be of use while you soak up as much job-specific information as you can from people with the social and managerial skills of a potato because they're engineers as well. It's like being an apprentice, but you just went through 4.5 years of school to get there first.

Civil (and some Mech or Electrical) has the added benefit of needing a PE. It's an 8 hour test right out of college, then 4 years of working under at least 3 PEs, then another 8 hour test to become a licensed PE, and it's basically required in Civil. Until then you aren't relevant.

Project Management: I did this for a year and hated it. I will probably go back to it after another couple years and maybe enjoy it because now I know what the gently caress is going on. Some companies will hire you with an engineering degree straight out of college, but it's sink or swim and be prepared to get yelled at and cost the company a shitload of money and angst while you try to understand Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical/Process, and Civil engineering enough to be able to tell their respective engineers what to do, all while keeping a budget and estimating jobs like you know what you're talking about, and boy oh boy you better be a go-getter. Not only is this job not able to be mentally checked out of, it's one of the highest stress jobs I've ever encountered personally. I wouldn't wish it on anyone that hasn't extensively understood what they're managing.

Construction Management: Where Project Managers are keeping the budget and timescale, and doing all the front-end stuff like leading the engineering/design and buying equipment and keeping to timescales, a CM is out in the field keeping the construction guys on budget and on time. This job is like field-project management, with the added benefit of long weird hours (outages are measured in $$ lost per hour of the process being down, so if it isn't back up you aren't leaving), being out in the elements, and being the boss of construction companies that have been doing this poo poo way longer than you and will absolutely find any means necessary to screw you out of money, and you probably won't even notice because they see your big, blue, doe eyes from the first time they talk to you.

Any of that sound like fun? Successful people in these jobs never clock out mentally and are always pushing for more. Getting the degree isn't a meal ticket to show up and take your $60k/yr home with you at the end of 8 hours. It becomes you. You learn to like it or you get out. It's fun as poo poo now but it took some acclimatizing. Hopefully this gave you the insight you wanted.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

This sounds more like someone who works for a demanding consulting firm or just had a pretty crappy gig.

When I have time at the airport later today I will give a write up on my thoughts. I have been in the consulting and end user world as a civil and the wife had done the same as a CM.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That's true. I'm not really interested in becoming a software engineer (at least long-term), but if you have any idea how to get into more low-level fields without school, I'm definitely interested. Is it a case of starting at the bottom (or near the bottom) and working my way up?
Software engineering is kind of an exception to the rule. Many companies are desperate for people who can write code. Also there is a large scale of difficulty, from what I consider easy stuff like HTML to really difficult things like multi-threaded high performance stuff. All of these factors go together to create an environment where people can get jobs just by demonstrating that they can do something. Anyway, no, I severely doubt you can become a CPU architect by working your way up. It strikes me as one of those fields where you need a solid grounding in theory from a formal education.

Another possible area where you can sneak in without a degree is hardware (think op-amps, counters, timers, filters, etc). Depends on the company and there are much fewer openings so you'll be competing with greybeards and people who know all the same stuff but do have degrees.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Here are my thoughts on being a civil engineer, CM, and PM.

Civil: school is hard but really not bad at all. Yes you have to take upper level math but you never use it in practice. If the school you go to is practical you will not be solving theorems all day and actually learn the easy equations and how to apply them. As far as work goes there are a ton of choices, roads, buildings, bridges, water, wastewater, construction, railroads, basically anything that is big infrastructure.

I have worked in the utility world for my career. I started at a coal plant as a glorified project manager. I made sure material was ordered, picked sub's to do the work, checked on the day to day progress, reported to management. I work 40 hours a week and was on call 1 weekend in 6 (never had to go in though).
Next I worked for a consulting firm designing EV/EHV power lines. A lot of office and computer time with travel add required by project. Typically worked 45-50 (straight time after 40 was nice) but when traveling we would put 12-14 hour days in so we could get back home sooner. It was a lot of using design software to work in 3D models and get a final product out for construction. You work with drafters and designers and it is a pretty good time.

I deal with other consultant forms that are much more demanding and would honestly suck working for.

My current job is the same as the last only I work for one of the largest utilities in the country. It still involves a lot of design work but I work on standards and train our new engineers. I work more than 40 and travel a good amount but I honestly could put in 40 and check out as pretty much everyone else does. It is a great gig. Granted I make good money and get a good bonus because I work my rear end off. All of management knows who I am and it is great.

PM: it is following the money. Set up project meetings, track everything is good and just make sure all is well. Depending on where you work it is cake or very demhappen.

CM: this is the wife's gig. She works for a large cm now (6000+ employees, multi national). Her last project was just her and one other guy and they worked like crazy (60 hours a week was normal) by her job now has a ton of people on it and she does about 45. She also is paid to live remotely. She deals with sub contractors, rfi, architects and engineers, basically the day to day of making things happen (her job now is a 90 million dollar condo development).

She worked for a small CM and her hours were basically 40 and that's it.

She worked for a state DOT as well watching contractors and it was never over 40 and if it was it was time and a half.

Really it is all about where you end up at, How your boss is, what your work ethic is, etc. It is not easy work but it is not hard. As long as you are willing to work hard while you are supposed to you are good. It can all be very rewarding financially and for society. What I do brings power to millions everyday and I get a lot of satisfaction from that.

Hopefully you can figure out what you would like to do and put a plan together to make it happen.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I've considered the military as a career path in the past, something like working in the Navy or Air Force, but morally and philosophically I'm pretty opposed to harm, and I'd rather not work for an organization that exists to kill others.

Oh come on, I was in the Navy and I didn't kill anyone. I mean the only people the Navy has killed in the last decade are Osama Bin Fuckin' Laden, and some murderous pirates who kidnapped Tom Hanks! Those were the seals, and don't worry, you won't be a seal.

Sure, sometimes we taxi around marines, who do tend to kill people, but then an actual taxi helped transport the Tsarnaev brothers during the marathon bombings, and you're not swearing off all taxi cabs right?

Really though, I spent most of my time sailing around providing humanitarian aid in South East Asia, and keeping an eye on Kim Jong Il's wacky nuclear threat antics.

Besides, if you wanna check out there's no job better than the Navy. You literally can't be fired no matter how stupid. In fact the more genuinely stupid you become, the more responsibilities your bosses will actively take away from you.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

All the air force people i know are fighting Ebola in Africa right now...

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Become a machinist and show up on time and sober. Very few people go into the field and the workforce is aging quickly. I know several fabrication companies in my area (Cleveland, OH) that are paying retired machinists double time to come back part time because they can't find replacements. Reliable skilled machinists are very much in demand and unlike some manual labor its not that hard on you physically so you can continue at it even as you get older. Welding is another trade job that can pay well too, especially if you get skilled in a specific subset. Aerospace manufacturing is one industry that the US / Europe still dominates in and will likely continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

mkultra419 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 19, 2015

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Don't take this as advice per se, but if you are truly interested in mindless factory/distribution/office work, a staffing agency will give you all the tools to pursue a career of self loathing. It's not an actual career starter, but it's a decent way to figure out whether or not you actually like those sorts of jobs. I worked at a Walgreens Distribution Center as a temp for 2 years and only quit because Walgreens hired people off the street instead of trying to hire the low wage temps that had been working there (and would continue to in most cases). I didn't mind it while I was there, but drat when I did leave I buckled down and started getting straight As in college all of the sudden. Never wanted to be back in that position.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I work as an engineer, I engineer cabinetry. A TON of the people I work with don't have engineering degrees (or degrees at all), many of my coworkers started out on the shop floor building the cabinets and eventually worked their way up into designing/engineering them. So it is possible but it's definitely not a job where you show up, do the same thing all day every day while zoned out, then go home.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm an engineer and I do exactly 40 hours a week because I hate my job. I kinda check out half the times too because 99% of my work involves putting power points together and waiting for my computer to do its thing. I know I'm definitely not going to get anywhere in this company but i have no motivation because well I hate my job.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Join the Air National Guard. Get paid to go to whatever trade school the air force has available that you choose. Get a civilian job, and show up one weekend a month to play Air Force in the chill branch of the chillest version of the military.

Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I've heard it referred to as "Chair Force", sounds legit.

• Locked thread