Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Have you thought about trades or vocational training? I know you said office or factory, but it might be something to think about. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of assets or things to hold you back (married partner, kids, etc) so if you start training now you could be doing really well down the road. I know electricians and plumbers can make bank, but you could look into welding, machining, etc to try to get in to the factory/manufacturing side of things. While careers like being an electrician or plumber are customer service based, I'd think it's vastly different than working retail customer service. If you hate the customer service side of retail, then I'd avoid an office job because with your limited experience you'd probably have to start in sales or a call center which is the customer service experience times one thousand. Good luck dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Something like a skilled trade would be a pretty good fit for me, I think. I was a woodworker for about 20 months, doing finished and upholstered (either/or, not both) cabinets, primarily upholstered. That was enjoyable and stress-free - I find that once I get into a groove, I can generally work all day with very little need for breaks and very little fatigue. Something like woodworking or machining might be a good way to go. Do you know of any good resources to read up on how to get started in those fields?

Maybe I should expand on my work experience a bit. I worked at a car audio shop for a couple years until it closed, becoming retail supervisor along the way (really, my job involved the same sales poo poo along with some bonus paperwork for tracking and planning inventory and purchases). After that, I didn't do poo poo for a couple years - I went to college for two terms, though, with the aforementioned lack of success. I moved up to Washington and was one of three people in a small woodworking company until that situation blew up and the company stopped being active (technically still around, but not making revenue or selling products). I moved back to Oregon, worked at Best Buy for 18 months, and I've working at the ecig shop for about 6 months now.

I can't advise you to go in to woodworking because my dad made me promise not to do that - he was a custom cabinetmaker for 20+ years. He loved it, but wasn't the best businessman (self-admittedly) and it was really hard on his back. I'd honestly love to do it, but you need to be really good at your craft. It sounds like you actually have a pretty good bit of experience, so I bet a shop would be willing to hire you in another starting position. The guys who own these shops make bank now making basic but solid cabinets and home stuff with good quality wood and even composite wood.

I'd say stop back in at the shops you used to work at and see if they have any leads if you're interested in pursuing that again, unless you burned any bridges. Unfortunately I don't have any good resources, but if you're interested in other trades I'd just google "beginning electrician in OR" or whatever the case is. Lots of them either start at a vocational tech place, or you start out as an apprentice. There's a professional electricians thread somewhere on the forums, but I'm not sure if its buried in BFC or somewhere else unfortunately.

• Locked thread