Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Met a rad guy with a bone stock all original 64 Valiant 4 door that used to belong to his late father and I want to help fix it if possible. 225ci slant six, push button auto. Looked like it had a fairly small rear pumpkin. I dont know enough about these cars if there are still parts available. Symptoms were a loud bang then no forward or reverse and then with the rear jacked up each wheel could be turned independantly of the other as well as the driveshaft so something let go.

Reccomendations? Anything else we could do as a direct bolt in from something more common?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I don't know much about Chrysler rear ends, but the Valiant shared a platform with the Darts and Barracudas, so that may at least increase your odds of finding parts. Sure sounds like he blew something up.

Edit: Holy poo poo, my local yard actually has a '64 Valiant. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get out there until at least next weekend.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 13, 2015

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Killing a rear end is pretty rare... With the trans in park, driveshaft locked, one wheel also locked (leave it on the ground), can you spin the other wheel? If you manually spin the driveshaft (trans in any position other than park), neither wheel turns?

If it is indeed a differential issue, yes those parts are still available. Doomsday scenario is a change to a beefier (and even more common) axle setup from one of the more macho variants of that platform.

forabodiesonly.com is probably a good resource to check out, if you haven't already.

lolricecamrylol
Sep 27, 2004
minivanmegafun bought me this account and said I'm stuck with this title until I derice my car.
That should have a Chrysler Corporate 8 3/4" "Third Member" rear end. The carrier/nose assembly unbolts from the axle tube housing. This axle was used on a LOT of cars of that vintage, and parts are pretty available. You'll need to find the stampings on the case to get the exact options off of it (gear ratio, "Sure Grip", etc.) but other than that they are pretty straightforward. Pop the shafts out the ends by unbolting the plate between the hub and tube end, then unbolt the carrier/nose assembly from the front of the axle.

I'm willing to bet that it chewed up some spider gears. Post pics of carnage :)

Glomar Explorer
Apr 27, 2008
Sounds definitively like a blown rear end. Happened to me in a '66 Dart - loud bang and unpleasant grinding noise. When I opened the pumpkin, a bunch of grimy metal fragments fell out. Total annihilation of crown wheel and pinion. Drive axles were salvageable.
That said, having a 8 3/4 on a Slant Six Valiant sounds uncommon, unless original was replaced with sturdier at some point in time. Does the pumpkin open from the rear, or is it a banjo rear end, where you unbolt it from the drive shaft side? Banjo would mean it's a 8 3/4. My bet would be the weaker 7 1/4 rear end - it was the standard rear for small engine A-bodies. (That's what blew from under the aforementioned Dart, btw).

Basically any old Mopar rear end will fit, and there's plenty of parts available. In order to avoid leaf spring mount hassle, finding a rear from another 60's Chrysler A-body would be the easiest way. Unless the dude intends to swap the six for a V8, a 7 1/4 rear would suffice. The 8 3/4 is a sturdy rear and might be a better solution, longevity-wise.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It definitely had bolts facing the rear of a car and a diff plate, I saw it looking underneath.

Glomar Explorer
Apr 27, 2008
This is a handy illustration re: Mopar rear ends.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If nothing looks strange inside the diff housing, I'd pull a halfshaft and see if it's in one piece.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Some race teams spend millions of dollars decreasing unsprung and rotating drivetrain mass, that car does it for free. The owner should be grateful.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chunky and glittery!

Yeah, that rear end isn't moving anything anytime soon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
On the plus side, if you put it under your pillow tonight the tooth fairy will bring you a Ford 8.8.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Crunchy drain pans make me hurt inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
I blew out the rear on my '63 Valiant 225 when I was in high school. I believe that a rear from a Duster/Dart/Scamp from the 60s to late 70s will bolt in. You WILL need new rims/tires as the bolt pattern changed. I had a '64 for a few years and was looking for a way to get the later bolt pattern for better wheel choices. I think you can also change the front spindles too so all four corners match.

Would also be a good time to upgrade the single-circuit brake system to a double.

• Locked thread