Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEgAzJ6CS-A

Phelan, Brad, and I talk about a killer cat movie called Strays!

Finally the internet cat crossover we all wanted :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Miss Wallace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEgAzJ6CS-A

Phelan, Brad, and I talk about a killer cat movie called Strays!

Every horror movie about cats:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, did we know that Baywatch is currently airing in the US in syndication? There's an over-the-air digital subchannel called Cozi that apparently airs it at 7:00 every weeknight. It's on right now!

It's a lovely enough channel that it might not be on your cable service (mine only has about 3/4 of what goes over the air), so try it with your antenna on and see if it's there.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jack Gladney posted:

Hey, did we know that Baywatch is currently airing in the US in syndication? There's an over-the-air digital subchannel called Cozi that apparently airs it at 7:00 every weeknight. It's on right now!

It's a lovely enough channel that it might not be on your cable service (mine only has about 3/4 of what goes over the air), so try it with your antenna on and see if it's there.

That channel is always on in the McDonalds I sometime shave lunch at during work. One day when I was their, a show called Ariel, Zoey & Eli was on. It was basically these three kids singing in a studio with the guy who wrote Eye of the Tiger. It was shot so shittly, I think these three kids don't know the TV show exists. Like, their gonna google their selves in ten years and be like "Wait...I had a TV show? What?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PassTheRemote posted:

Remember, if your parents divorced, it's because you did not pray hard enough.

Remember if your friend kills himself it's YOUR FAULT

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Remember if your friend kills himself it's YOUR FAULT

By going to the extreme, these jesusy movies really make some unfortunate implications.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If my parents had stayed together, my half-sister would never have been born.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Sorry but that's evidence she's the spawn of Satan.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It's nice to see Strays on Movie Nights, it sounded like fun from the section in that Bad Movie Book!

I like Phelous's bootleg videos, but I'm not sure I understand his obession with Galaxy Warriors figures and re-releases?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I never realized how huge Lloyd was until now. He's like a giant.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

OldMemes posted:

It's nice to see Strays on Movie Nights, it sounded like fun from the section in that Bad Movie Book!

I like Phelous's bootleg videos, but I'm not sure I understand his obession with Galaxy Warriors figures and re-releases?

Sometimes people like to collect stuff and fixate on a particular thing for various reasons. vOv

I find it pretty neat seeing the variety of ways they tried to sell the same product, myself.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVqFAMOtwaI

I'm just gonna leave the video of Doug bitching about Fair Use here without comment. Figure the thread should see but I don't have any real input myself.

Edit:
I guess what annoys me is that he comes at this as the Nostalgia Critic and not Doug Walker. Sorta weakens the whole argument when he's a character than an actual person.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 17, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well to talk about other circles of critics, both Did You Know Gaming and Jontron are plugging Farcry Primal. Ubisoft is smart. Must be throwing around some fat money sacks to Youtube.

At least Jontron's still funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICvRmN9A8RQ

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Tracula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVqFAMOtwaI

I'm just gonna leave the video of Doug bitching about Fair Use here without comment. Figure the thread should see but I don't have any real input myself.

Edit:
I guess what annoys me is that he comes at this as the Nostalgia Critic and not Doug Walker. Sorta weakens the whole argument when he's a character than an actual person.

Reminds me of when PeeWee Herman spoke to me about crack cocaine.

Except Peewee wasn't an insufferable git.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well to talk about other circles of critics, both Did You Know Gaming and Jontron are plugging Farcry Primal. Ubisoft is smart. Must be throwing around some fat money sacks to Youtube.

At least Jontron's still funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICvRmN9A8RQ

Jontron's is pretty funny. Reminds me of the ads giantbomb acts out in their podcasts. They're ads but they inject comedy into it.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Don't know if this guy's been posted here before, but I figured I'd drop a link for him. His name's RalphTheMovieMaker, and he's a young filmmaker who focuses on reviewing big blockbuster product movies. Here's his most recent video on Reasons MINIONS Sucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KaodqL5OQg
He really likes calling out fanboys so if you are one just skip that particular video. I don't always agree with him everything, but I find myself agreeing with him more often than not.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The AV Club wrote up a fawning article on the Nostalgia Critic's fair use video. They really couldn't find another video explaining what fair use was, or a more talented person whose work has been effected by copyright strikes?

Ghostpilot posted:

I didn't mind the jokes so much, it was more the tone of that episode: it was just unpleasant. It reminded me of their "Ghostbusters 2" commentary right after Harold Ramis' death in just how mean-spirited and cynical it came across.

I'm still a big fan of RLM, but I don't plan on revisiting that episode WotW.
I think RLM have been on the decline for the last year or so, and not just for how quickly and spectacularly that Max Landis thing backfired on them. The jokes aren't as sharp, and have gotten way too mean-spirited and snarky especially on BotW. Their mood is so misanthropic with everything they look at that it drains nearly all the fun and humor out of it. The Christmas special was the first time in a while I really enjoyed a BotW episode.
REFURB!:refurb:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I haven't kept up on anything very closely, how did the Max Landis thing backfire on them?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Robert Denby posted:

I think RLM have been on the decline for the last year or so, and not just for how quickly and spectacularly that Max Landis thing backfired on them.

This is the first time I've heard of this. Unless you're reading Youtube comments. Don't do that.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Alaois posted:

I haven't kept up on anything very closely, how did the Max Landis thing backfire on them?

I guess in this case "backfire" means "did a really good interview where he talked about how yeah they were spot on, the writer has next to no control over the final product most of the time, and then gave them the best ending to an episode of BOTW we'll ever see"?

Sure did "backfire".

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Robert Denby posted:

The AV Club wrote up a fawning article on the Nostalgia Critic's fair use video. They really couldn't find another video explaining what fair use was, or a more talented person whose work has been effected by copyright strikes?

Or maybe a video from someone that does not use large portions of said content? I mean, I might be the minority, and it's not that he does not have a valid point about Fair Use in general, but internet reviewing like the NC style is I feel a little more legally dubious than he tries to make it out.

Also, this is a guy who has straight up stolen scenes for his "movies" reviews. AV Club, don't use him as a paragon of how Fair Use works.

Robert Denby posted:

I think RLM have been on the decline for the last year or so, and not just for how quickly and spectacularly that Max Landis thing backfired on them. The jokes aren't as sharp, and have gotten way too mean-spirited and snarky especially on BotW. Their mood is so misanthropic with everything they look at that it drains nearly all the fun and humor out of it. The Christmas special was the first time in a while I really enjoyed a BotW episode.

Mike saying that all the new BotW screenings are the worst thing ever is really starting to annoy me. I want them to go watch some fun cheesy movies and laugh and have fun.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
The most enjoyable BOTW episodes are ones where they genuinely have a good time. They had fun watching Double Down and it shows. Same with Alienator. Even WOTW is more fun that way. They clearly had a blast trying to figure out SOS and that weird animated sci-fi video. Maybe don't put so many random how-to video cash-ins on the wheel, because then we end up with Chinese AOL videos.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

Or maybe a video from someone that does not use large portions of said content? I mean, I might be the minority, and it's not that he does not have a valid point about Fair Use in general, but internet reviewing like the NC style is I feel a little more legally dubious than he tries to make it out.

Also, this is a guy who has straight up stolen scenes for his "movies" reviews. AV Club, don't use him as a paragon of how Fair Use works.

Mike saying that all the new BotW screenings are the worst thing ever is really starting to annoy me. I want them to go watch some fun cheesy movies and laugh and have fun.

they always joke about it but they really should drop Wheel of the Worst. More Cannon Christmas, less rodent snuff

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

I thought he mostly used skit re-enactments these days? If those are still getting flagged, then he does have a point. If it's for the older stuff, I'm not surprised copyright bots would immediately flag them. I feel like maybe he hasn't realised how lucky he was.

I guess the specials lifting whole scenes in their story about evil copyright lawyers would count as parody, if they ever commented on it.

Alaois posted:

they always joke about it but they really should drop Wheel of the Worst. More Cannon Christmas, less rodent snuff

Ideally, it should be a better mix of both (although maybe not the rodent snuff film).

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I'm sure I'm in the minority here but Eluiskol the Sumerian Clown Goddess of Death had me in stitches and Wheel of the Worst episodes are the highlight of my internet day. This one kind of felt off, but them being meanspirited doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I can't say for sure but I think it was the AAAAAIIIDS?! lack of content. I mean, one was bad comedy and the other two were vanity project videos from not particularly endearing people which were about doing things they love.

Morel Mushrooms was baffling but harmless and Exploding Varmints Part 1 was borderline psychotic; but both videos were just long boring stretches of people enjoying their hobby, which is a one-note joke and it's hard to make fun of. But whether it was finding mushrooms in the forest or murdering small animals for fun you could imagine either one of those guys dancing to Goodbye Horses while naked in front of the basement mirror.

Plus, you know, it's hard to make fun of animals dying without coming off as sounding like horrible people.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 18, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I miss Jessi and Len Kabinski.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Wait, Jessi stopped? I just figured she was behind the camera or just not around as much.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I thought the whole thing with Rich shouting "AIDS" just got old. Maybe if he said it one more time, it'd be funny, but I doubt it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

Wait, Jessi stopped? I just figured she was behind the camera or just not around as much.

She does not appear on camera any more because the Internet is sexually aggressive toward her.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

senae posted:

I guess in this case "backfire" means "did a really good interview where he talked about how yeah they were spot on, the writer has next to no control over the final product most of the time, and then gave them the best ending to an episode of BOTW we'll ever see"?

Sure did "backfire".
I meant in that after Landis appeared on BotW and seemed like kind of a cool guy, very shortly afterward he had that Twitter meltdown about women are threatening my enjoyment of this science fiction movieRey being a 'Mary Sue', and got widely mocked for it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

I meant in that after Landis appeared on BotW and seemed like kind of a cool guy, very shortly afterward he had that Twitter meltdown about women are threatening my enjoyment of this science fiction movieRey being a 'Mary Sue', and got widely mocked for it.

i don't think many people associate Max Landis' twitter meltdown with RLM, and that was still like at least a month or so removed from that wasn't it?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Robert Denby posted:

I guess that backfired on him if he thought going on their show would dissolve the negative attention he got on twitter surrounding American Ultra. Nothing about that backfired on RLM, though. At least it shouldn't have?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Hbomberguy posted:

I think they said on one of the Pre Rec streams that she lives fairly far away from the studio and has a bunch of her own work going on, so she hasn't really had much time to come down and do RLM stuff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Robert Denby posted:

Pretty sure RLM has suffered precisely zero fallout from that. Nor should they. Don't be that guy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Max Landis does some cool things and seems like a generally cool dude and then occasionally goes on a Twitter tirade to remind everyone that he's actually a piece of poo poo.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I haven't really watched Extra Creditz in ages because they'd gotten kinda stale to me, so I had no idea they'd started a new channel called Extra Play where they'd sit around and talk about video game development while playing video games, and holy poo poo I'm loving this stuff! I've just caught up on The Animation of Video Games series, which is right up my alley, Dan gets into some of the really nitty gritty details of animation while messing around in video games and it's great. I haven't checked out all the videos they have on the channel yet, but I'm going to now and I figured I'd recommend it here, as I always enjoy it when people who work in the industry talk shop and get into the really technical details.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

watho posted:

Max Landis does some cool things and seems like a generally cool dude and then occasionally goes on a Twitter tirade to remind everyone that he's actually a piece of poo poo.

I think you'll find that the logical conclusion to this evidence is that it is actually Twitter that causes cool dudes who do cool things to act like pieces of poo poo.

I mean, I guess "having opinions about movies" can make somebody a piece of poo poo, sure. Anything's possible, if you truly believe.

Remember that the Internet makes you stupid.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

watho posted:

It can be two things. It's not like he's some awful monster, he's really just an average hollywood writer who likes to use social media. He's got some dumbass opinions but he can also be funny and personable depending on the situation. I can understand him getting poo poo but I'm not sure why so many people seem to really hate the dude.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It can be two things. It's not like he's some awful monster, he's really just an average hollywood writer who likes to use social media. He's got some dumbass opinions but he can also be funny and personable depending on the situation. I can understand him getting poo poo but I'm not sure why so many people seem to really hate the dude.

I personally just hate his hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Alaois posted:

i don't think many people associate Max Landis' twitter meltdown with RLM, and that was still like at least a month or so removed from that wasn't it?

Yeah, especially since Landis was known for Twitter meltdowns before he went on. The big reason he called them in the first place was RLM making fun fo his "original idea" rant.

• Locked thread