Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Annointed posted:

Angry Joe has another run in with Copyright. This time it's Nintendo. Funny since I thought that after the incident and the stupid discussions (shout matches), they were okay with Let's Plays and reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koX-Ny6zHdM&

Still don't have any idea how people are quick to defend corporations when often the corporations in question often don't seem to care about the customers.

A fair number of Nintendo-heavy content creators who didn't wanna give up have been able find ways around it, either through editing or simply by just becoming a managed partner with their network. Seriously seeing how many of them were able to get managed status in the past year it doesn't seem as exclusive and rare as people originally said it was.

I don't know why he's not managed even though he's a part of a network, he's got a brand and he's made an issue every time this has happened to him before-

quote:

Im still Affiliated because I want to know when smaller channels are getting hosed and stand up for them. IS this how Nintendo acts on YT?

Oh, well that sounds....uh....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Justin probably would have been stoked yesterday that we actually got merchandise (an amiibo) of a character who hails from a game only released in Japan available to buy in American stores. :smith:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

DStecks posted:

I'm genuinely sorry for the derail that's about to cause, but I had to get it off my chest. Like, I don't even think that's an entirely wrong point of view, I get the idea behind it, but I wish she would just come out and say it instead of this passive aggressive bullshit.

It's kinda been something they've been talking about as far back as their videos on Lego and gender from like, jeez it's been four years now I think? One of the things they touched on was how Lego wasn't emphasizing the creativity aspect of their products when advertising and focusing more on being able to load the canons/missiles/whatever and all the sudden you're creating weapons instead of just constructing something.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh yeah. He usually does a show at Connecticon every year. I got a few of his albums around. I always thought he ok.

In years past I remember Doug would be front and center in the "Featured Guests" section, now he's relegated to the Online Media Guests part.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Speaking of Anita Sarkeesian!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jko06dA_x88

You know, this is the most animated I remember seeing her in a video. Still rather subdued, as is her style, but more emotive.

Seemed like she possibly wanted to talk more about Bayonetta but she ended up just rushing through most of it. I know Bayo is...tricky to talk about. I guess thank God for Quiet being a thing then.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 6, 2016

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Phelous has pretty subdued feelings on it.

Seems like Hemsworth being a physical manifestation of Slimer from the era when Slimer took over the franchise is going to be most people's biggest problem with the film.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

MrSlam posted:

edit

Screw it. Argument's as empty as the quotes

Here's Phelous exploring an abandoned prison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO20UwLPYhc

I rate this prison 0/10

Maybe he can explore an abandoned mall next? Those always seem more creepy than they should. They also probably still have the smell from long forgotten pretzel stores lingering somehow.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Jonathon McIntosh here to ruin your day with the latest hot takes.

I mean there have been a lot of crappy takes today about this, but this is something else. Something special.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I don't necessarily believe that view counts are indicative of the quality of a video or anything, but the videos he's put out over the past year since going solo have had some seriously low view counts. At least in comparison to the amount of time he says he puts into making each episode.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Tragedy has struck Mike Jeavons.

:stare:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I feel kinda bad for David Jaffe this week. Not in the sense that something bad has happened to him but that he seems like a guy displaced in time, or rather, he's never actually had to have a product he's personally made go through the wringer of "Modern" gaming internet personalities and it's hitting him harder than he expected.

Like the first God of War came out in 2005 juuuust before that brand of internet critiquing became really popular and I guess nobody really cared enough Twisted Metal in 2012 to really take it to task so he's never actually had someone roast a personal project of his before now and he was not prepared at all for it.

https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/857469838658162688
https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/857470166300377088
https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/857470386295799808
https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/857470623118802944
https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/857470741603786752
https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/857471011486187520

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I liked that the Y-L vid brought up a point about how going into a different area/cell separate from an overworld has a specific feeling and is probably why BOTW and areas therein can seem small. Because everything in the game has to be open-air we can't get houses or caves with gigantic insides as easily as we could in a game that would just teleport you to another cell.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I do find it odd they chose a winter world with ice physics and the whole "Ice Level" package as the second world. It's like DK 64 all over again in how the first level was pretty okay, but tons of people dropped the game as soon as they reached the second world which was full of annoying "Desert Level" poo poo like stinging sand and timed puzzles and...basically more sand.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wow, it was so clear from the original video that this was an email belonging to someone in Imago for small Youtubers affected to get help, people are the worst.

Anita wrote something about this a few years back, about how the giant angry internet mob is always looking for something to fight against when someone points it towards a certain direction or cause.Tthe mob seems always primed for attacking whatever it's pointed to, even if that wasn't the original intention.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Jirard the Completionist was asked by his old co-host/friend to take down any videos that featured him and Jirard is complying. That's 120+ episodes that'll be gone from his channel in about a month.

Dude is promising to re-complete all those games he did though in future episodes, which means he'll be making six videos a month instead of four. He's dedicated I'll give him that. I just hope he's not overexerting himself. Some of those games were time-sinks the first time he went through them. Like dude I understand if you don't wanna go through DK64 again.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Lego doesn't gently caress around.

Or rather, this is probably LEGO acting because it's Star Wars related and that is a...very lucrative license for them which I guess brings this all back around to Disney.

But still this isn't like the dude was making videos of leaked marketing materials from China of an as of yet unannounced eight-hundred dollar Millennium Falcon these were sets he bought from a retail store. Like these are sets that are already showing up at retailers around the country.

Like this ain't no shady second-hand dealer's account we're looking at here on eBay.Com it's the fukkin' Toys R Us eBay account.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

lornekates posted:

I Hate Everything has a new video on a movie I didn't even know existed, The Gummy Bear Movie (2012). Can't wait to watch...

COME THE gently caress ON YOU PIECES OF poo poo!

Edit: whoa loving huge image sorry

...Oh! This is about those green bears. Not the actual Gummy Bears.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Interestingly he's going to do a Friday the 13th movie review for next week. I hope he does another Nightmare on Elm Street review to complete the set.

Oh neat next Friday really does fall on the 13th.

So like, why didn't they delay the latest game itself until next Friday? Like it'd have gotten a few more months of dev time and fine tuning as well if they had done that.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Supersonic Shine posted:

How do y'all feel about MRE reviews? I checked out Steve1989MREInfo's videos on a whim and enjoyed them more than I thought I would. I like his laidback presentation and it's interesting to see what soldiers from different eras ate.

I WAS going to say something along of the lines of "I'm just waiting for the day someone attempts to eat 150+ year old hardtack from the Civil War" but fukkin' whelp.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
You know I get that Jim Sterling really likes using that footage of the Microtransaction Orc Merchant from Shadow of War rubbing his hands together as he's crafting something Jim has gotten a lot of usage out of that image lately but...

...Do you think he realizes what that looks like? Like, you think he knows or does he not know?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I already mentioned the Orc Merchant, but one other thing I'll say abut it is...

...I'm pretty sure Middle Earth already had a stand in for us.

Like, I'm pretty sure Tolkien outright said once the Dwarves were the allegory.

Maybe you should have made the sequel a game about the Dwarves then WB?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
And one day soon, he'll make a video about E.T. Adventure

You know the end has to be coming for that ride sooner than later.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Leal posted:

Got 'em

Except when it comes to very particular versions of fighting games then Phil is actually a savant at like one or two of them.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I think Jim might have to drop the latex suit now given Patreon is getting more strict on NSFW-things. :ohdear:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This is why it was a good thing actually that IGN (or their parent company) bought the corpse of GameTrailers.com, now at least somebody will always have access to every Kyle Bosman episode from before the site shut down.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Honestly this is a good video to start every day with.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Aside from that fake review furor, I've seen more people...or more specifically more anger from certain people over the game getting too many high scores than I've seen fans freak out over the actual eights and seven point fives some real reviews have already scored the game.

On a similar note, I've seen more people upset more people aren't in an uproar over the new mobile Animal Crossing game than I've seen people actually angry over it, if that makes sense.

Like for that first group of people, they're still upset that the game exists, that it has timers you can pay real life money to make go away faster. But they're more upset huge chunks of the gaming populace aren't joining them in their sentiment of being enraged over the game like when everyone got super pissed over Dungeon Keeper for iOS or that Final Fantasy: All The Bravest one.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

KayTee posted:

On the topic of scary stuff for scaryween, two expert art critics share their insight on our generation's emergent artform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF_OCnG9VCI

I don't acknowledge any modern media take on Jekyll/Hyde if they don't include the now accepted-as-canon PSYCHO-WAVE.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Kim Justice posted:

My last video of 2017. Care to join me in a celebratory Monday morning belt of Scotch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC82tU9CsUU

Don't forget about this mandatory supplementary video here.

Beanies ruined a lot of people.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Do we have any good Last Jedi hot takes? That movie fascinated me.

The "Most misplaced take" would have to go to Angry Joe who started out his Last Jedi video going "THIS VIDEO WILL MAKE STAR WAR FANBOYS ANGRY BUT I DON'T CARE" even though the group most dissatisfied with the movie so far seem to be said fanboys. I guess he read the room wrong in that sense.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The "10 Year Anniversary of Braid" think-pieces coming out next year sure are gonna be interesting to read considering how much we've learned in that time.

Mostly what we've learned about Blow himself.

https://twitter.com/hEnereyG/status/942651723998420993

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This new essay video on Jedi from McIntosh came out just a tiny bit too late I guess? At least I got that feeling in the last few minutes of the video where I thought he was going to mention how The Last Jedi tackles a lot of the things he points out but only mentions that he "Hopes" the new trilogy will take his thoughts into consideration. Like I know he says the video took three months to make, but that doesn't really change the fact there's already bunch of similar takes out there about the Jedi hosed their own order over. The biggest one being The Last Jedi itself, yeah?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I hope Ashens doesn't start getting videos false flagged if YouTube has to eventually implement a site-wide "Seriously don't put poo poo in your mouth" policy concerning people posting videos of them putting things into their mouths they really shouldn't.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
YouTube may be going tits-up for pretty much every small to mid and so content creator but the upside I guess is that this also includes the TRUTHER community who finally seem to be getting videos removed/blocked and their channels shut down for hate speech and the like.

The content creators say in their defense that calling a victim of a tragedy a crisis actor is covered under free speech and isn't hate but....mmm...I don't know about that. Sounds like a real stretch to pull the free speech and fair use cards here.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I almost want to believe Doug has been working on a script for some bullshit 10-year anniversary special where everyone who was ever on the site shows up and because he has pretty much no social media presence he:

1) Doesn't even know all this has been going on for the past week.

And 2) That enough time has passed that he assumes/assumed everyone would agree to show up at for it.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Leal posted:

I dunno if that tumblr was updated since I last saw it, but another lolDougWalker thing that should be mentioned is him starting the #REACT #WTFU or where is the fair use when his channel got demonetized then basically hopped off as soon as the channel got monetized again.

It seems so long ago since that happened, or at least seems like it happened years back when it really only started around the beginning of 2016, like three to four years after YouTube really started putting Content ID to work and even more in regards to it just being hard for things to always stay stable on the site.

Like pretty much everyone could see he was only making noise at that moment because Blip had shut down the year prior and YouTube was the "Best" place for him to focus on.

Also that he was dumbfounded it happened to him over a positive review of a Ghibli movie like he had been away from the YouTube game for so long he couldn't wrap his head around why a positive video would get a strike or the footage blocked. It was like he had generally assumed only negative videos ever got taken down or something up until that point.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I don't care how many ghosts he catches I can't accept him back after seeing how far he's waded into the deep end in #Pizzagate conspiracies and the like.

And then when I went to look that up to make sure I wasn't remembering things wrong I found this moment of his hadn't even ever seen before:

https://twitter.com/remberhappyday/status/979486216323203075

Irate Gamer please stay gone.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Does Mike J not realize if you spend a whole week subsisting on only McD's that at the end of the seventh day the spell is complete and you become the next Hamburglar?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It's too bad Doug is likely to never even read that document.

Like the only way you're ever going to actually see Doug respond to it is if you make a video super-cut yourself of a text-to-voice program reading various points of the document out loud and then splice in footage of Doug from random reviews shouting and screeching nonsensical words at various volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
"Maybe, perhaps, it was you all who left who were in the wrong? Ever think of that? We forgive you for feeling that way either way."

• Locked thread