Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
'Think of me next time you rub Hobie's back'

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have absolutely no desire to see the movie, but (speaking of accents) I'm genuinely curious about what accent Jamie Dornan uses in it. I've only ever seen him in The Fall, where he can use his natural voice without any trouble.

I read a review that said he uses an American accent and it's kind of flat. Disappointing, he used his own accent in Once and it worked fine.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

KKall posted:

3, 2, 3, 4, 4, 2, 3, 4...

Your drat avatar hurts my eyes. It's like it's just too blue to deal with.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I managed to catch Soultaker unriffed on late-night TV a few years ago. It was a good bit better without the cuts they had to make for time. Not good or anything, just weirdly watchable. The opposite is Hobgoblins which I can barely stand to watch even with the riffs. Uggh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks! Unfortunately Hector never makes a reappearance, but there's no shortage of goofy bad guys on this show.

What things in the credits are you curious about? Maybe I can elaborate.

Mitch in that wig. Has that come up yet? Is Mitch dressed as a lady? Is the Hoff playing Mitch's own sister? If not, why not?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bless you and your Hoff trivia, Lupa. Thanks! :)

Edit: Googled the Nights episode.

:stare:

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 10, 2015

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Seeing Mitch being effortlessly outwitted by an aging retriever has made my day better.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I studied West Side Story for my music A-level (though my first exposure to its music was an arrangement of "Mambo" for the jazz orchestra I was in at the time; one of those 240 bpm numbers, which made it an absolute monster to play at the time, even if I could probably manage it now) and I liked it. I will look forward to watching the video when I'm home from a) work and b) casting my vote. :D

gently caress I love West Side Story so much. I really need to see a live performance of it sometime.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

New Baywatching! Eddie is accused of statutory rape. Hilarious!
http://phelous.com/2015/05/14/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-trophy/

The suicidal teen did a nice little acting job there. What a waste.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

Baywatching: Reunion (Again). Mitch goes to his high school reunion and gets bullied!
http://phelous.com/2015/05/16/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-reunion-again/

Hooray! Do you ever spot something during an episode that's so amazing it needs to go in the title sequence? Or have you seen it all already?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

I get into really geeky territory and review the Worst Quantum Leap Novel Ever. Includes the Revolutionary War and incest, the hell??
http://phelous.com/2015/05/26/obscurus-lupa/others-obscurus-lupa/worst-quantum-leap-novel-ever/

Oh man these books! I vaguely remember 'Pulitzer' and 'The Wall' being good but I have no intention of ruining them for myself by checking.

My love for Quantum Leap is eternal.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Watch Quantum Leap in order goddammit. It has character development! Despite there only being two characters most of the time. I don't even dare start talking about Quantum Leap because I'll have to go watch it all again. ...seriously you don't need to watch it in order but do anyway. It's fab.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

And another Baywatching! I know, it's not Jurassic Park, but it'll have to do.
http://phelous.com/2015/06/12/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-big-monday/

EDIT: Oh but for good dinosaur television, the first couple seasons of Primeval are great.

I love imagining the pitch for these episodes. I bet the writer was all excited to do some character development with Mitch and then at some point somebody had to mention that the Hoff cannot act even a little bit.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hobie is psychic! I guess this is the fae child Mitch swapped for Hobie 1 or something.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks! And I definitely want to do The Langoliers (lord help me). I have a handful of Dean Stockwell movies I wanna cover now, but I feel I should spread them out a bit. I gotta do Sinbad first though, 'cause holy poo poo.

I have such a love/hate relationship with The Langoliers. Like, it's terrible? But I love it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Dean Stockwell has been in so much garbage over the years. It makes me sad. He was always right on the edge of becoming a big deal, first as a kid and then in the 60s. All his buddies got super-famous and he just kind of circled the edges of everything.

Yeah but because of that he shows up in stupid scifi shows that I love and makes them more awesome, so I can't be really sorry. God bless that man.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

lornekates posted:

Hmm... I was an extra in the video for Reframed by The Headstones, fronted by Hugh Dillon.

Hugh Dillon was in Flashpoint, co-starring Jessica Steen

Jessica Steen was "Pilot" on Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future

Which was written by J. Michael Straczynski, who also wrote Thor

Thor starred Kimberly Evan, who was also in R.I.P.D.... with Kevin Bacon

So that's what, 5? I'm sure I can do better, but this path takes me through a proto Babylon 5, so I'm happy.

Wait can you go through writers? I thought it was only actors.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I still vividly remember seeing a construction-site variant of Apaches at school when I was about seven or so (so thirty years ago). It was by a long shot the most horrifying thing I'd ever seen and I had nightmares for days. Of course I would never have gone near a construction site after that so SUCCESS I guess. gently caress.

Aha, it was called Building Sites Bite.

"Although lighter in tone compared to Apaches and The Finishing Line, Ronald is nevertheless buried alive, electrocuted, run over, crushed by piles of bricks, drowned and has his neck broken after falling from a pipe, with lingering close-ups of a disembodied foot, a charred hand and a blood-soaked wall. "

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The building site one was over the top, but having said that, there was a PSA that aired a while back here in the UK about the importance of seatbelts in the back seat. It had a teenager in the back who when the car stopped suddenly, changed into an elephant charging through the front seat. I remember the mother slumping back lifeless, the teen sitting bewildered with a bloody nose, and the little sister in the passenger seat screaming. It's left quite an impression and I always fasten my seatbelt in the back seat now.

This is my favourite PSA though :3: ...someone should do a series on these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-8PBx7isoM

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Argh, Jesus, my heart. That's a great one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Nobody likes male boobs.

But those are the boobs you can show in public. hosed up world.

Man chests can be nice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Speaking of SFdebris, I just realized: Eddie Kramer is the Harry Kim of Baywatch, isn't he?

Harry Kim wishes he was half the failure Eddie is. At least then he'd be funny.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Are we still saying our favourite media gays? Because I've been binging Archer lately and Ray is basically my favourite person on TV right now.

I loved Xena back in the day but I seem to remember it got kind of heavy in later seasons and I lost track of it. I'd loving love a remake.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Moartoast posted:

Ray is amazing, and even though the show beats the poo poo out of him, it rarely feels like it's directed at his sexuality. In fact, pretty much every gay joke I can remember is good humoured (well, as good humoured as that show can get, anyways) and empathetic towards him. I practically cheered at (late season 3) his uh, "closure" with the sheriff/his former school bully after he went to see his family, and it genuinely felt like, yeah, you're supposed to be way into that and cheering for Ray.

"So just... 911, or.."

Yeah seriously, Malory is an rear end in a top hat to him about his sexuality but it's pretty clear that the show expects you to find it gross and he gives about as good as he gets and gosh, I could go on for days, I love Ray. Let's make a Ray fan club. Please do not tell me if there already is one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I really liked the Watchmen movie, and I sometimes wonder if Watchmen being literally the first comic book I ever read (they had it at the public library and I was about 12) has put a strange cast on how I perceive superhero stories in general. Like I could never just engage with the wish fulfilment. But yeah, I thought the movie did a good job of making its heroes horrifying and its violence grotesque. Having said that I even enjoyed Matthew Goode as Ozymandias so I'm content to be in a minority.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Speaking of which https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XrQzhc186Q

I know Dan at this point has a full time job, But I do wish he made more videos. I really like his stuff :(

Man, for all Rent's story problems I'm fond of it (not the movie, God no, the filmed version of the last stage performance is about a million times better) but the moment he calls out in this scene is the worst. Roger doesn't want to do heroin with you! It's not unreasonable! Jesus.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Man there's only one piece of Marvel music I remember at all outside the Captain America horn theme bit, and it's Bucky's theme from The Winter Soldier. I bet it sounds exactly like some other loving piece of temp music but I really like it. It sounds like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVJGh51wR7k

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ms Wallace, do you happen to be aware of The Littlest Hobo, by any chance? If you're on a kick of Lassie-like shows after that weird rear end Benji thing, you should check it out.

Oh man the theme tune just leapt full-formed into my head. It's been years!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

KayTee posted:

There was an old brittish kids show called 'Woof!' that I'd like to submit for approval. It's about a boy who occasionally transforms into a dog. Because of a reason.

It demonstrates the very best of British animation talent in its opening sequence and joins the club of memorable theme songs.

Its worth noting that when Boy transforms - his clothes dont. So looking back the whole thing seems like a series of overly elaborate scenarios that result in a young boy being rendered naked in public. It's all in good fun tho.

https://youtu.be/NuljH8B_QnU

Holy crap I don't remember this title sequence at all. I remember the one with the lovely fluffy doggie in live-action. The music has burned itself into my brain though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Is he for sure going to die? Jesus.

At one point his cancer was definitely considered terminal but apparently he's had some minor improvements since then, according to his wikipedia page. Here's hoping.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate a bit? I don't remember her talking that much about the writer of Rent.

She didn't. She barely mentioned him. I'm not sure what Kunster is trying to say. There was no suggestion of boycotting Rent for moral reasons that I remember either. She just has accurate and reasonable problems with the storytelling and characters, and its failure to engage with the larger issue it purports to deal with. And I *do* kinda like Rent. Not the movie though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I agree with most of this too, nice video! I haven't watched Who since Capaldi's first few episodes and I absolutely loved this new episode. Bill is great. The whole thing was delightful. And I like Nardole, but I'm always way happier with three in the TARDIS just for how it shifts the dynamics. Of course I've never seen him before so I might just be liking Matt Lucas.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

"Passion of the Nerd" is a dude who does Buffy and angel retrospectives.

I found this guy last night and spent a while watching his videos. I like them! Well edited. He has a good voice. And his Buffy opinions are correct. :colbert:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Interesting! I really enjoyed it but then I'm probably the target audience, in that I stopped watching for a while and have just come back. Can't really argue with most of what you said though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah seriously, that's an inappropriate level of anger at a guy who isn't hurting anyone.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

"Pee-kwees?" Is that how Brits say "piques?" You people deserve Brexit

Nope! 'Peeks'. Though pee-kwees is funnier.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Annointed posted:

One of the Dans released a new video on Overwatch's First Person Animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xeTMCPG2gg

Thanks for this, it was super interesting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Loved Kyle and Rantasmo's video about all the gay in Shakespeare. I went to see a gender-bent production of Twelfth Night in London recently where Malvolio and Feste were both women, and a couple of the subtexts in other relationships (Sebastian and his buddy whose name escapes me) were made text. It was fantastic. The only script changes were to pronouns, everything else was exactly the same. And they actually found people who looked similar enough that I could believe mistaking Viola for Sebastian and vice versa.

It's this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-8kVX7-LqY

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Kim Justice posted:

If you fancy 15 minutes of misery, check out my new vid on a very dark Spectrum game. Gaining more traction than I expected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-la83RpEc

Late to this but holy poo poo, I had this game when I was a kid. I played it quite a lot because we were poor and I played every game I had. Later on I actually did that job for real and it was way less depressing than the game. Also the game was bugged to hell and I could never get to the second day, thank Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Kim Justice posted:

Thank you, and double respect points for having Streaker as your avatar.

Thank you! No game since has replicated the terror of waiting the couple of seconds for the screen to load, so you can find out if the thief was RIGHT THERE and has taken your trousers.

• Locked thread