Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

watho posted:

I don't think we should add too many people to the OP since it will because too big and unapproachable then.

Well if that becomes a problem, clearly some of those already there should be taken out then so the new ones can go in and get some exposure. :colbert:

Really though that position just seems poised to start an argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hey, it could be eBaumsworld.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I gotta say I think Uptown Funk is one of Bruno Mars' worst songs. Give me Grenade any day over the MOST generic funk tune I have ever heard. At least most retro-pop songs that aren't just sampling don't feel like they're just going through the motions as much as possible, no matter how bad they might be. Ugh, I can't stand the song.

E: Noting that I've only heard the most popular Bruno Mars songs, I'm sure he has some worse poo poo around since it's not like Uptown Funk is actively unpleasant.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 1, 2015

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Thunderfinger posted:

SF Debris, for whatever reason, continues his look at Kannazuki No Miko.

Pity him his burden.

But why?
At least he's spacing them out so he doesn't go crazy.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
When I was born the #1 hit was Batdance by Prince.

I may have won the biggest disparity between song quality and artist ability award.

I'm gonna go listen to the original concert version of Purple Rain as consolation.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Rodyle posted:

TLW vs 3 is like debating on whether you want scorpions shoved down your pants or wasps.

I love JP1 but am forever baffled by the fondness for Ian Malcom. He's an annoying character to start with, and then you add in his being played by the cursed corpse that is Jeff Goldblum and urgggggh

They're both cool and fun to watch on the screen OP.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Jay O posted:

So for as much as we bitch about people giving SF Debris terrible waste-of-time anime to review, he did a really kickass review of the Madoka Rebellion movie. The first half gets off to a rocky start with slightly bloated recap and a bunch of jokes that maybe don't work (and it ends with a homemade Heart AMV for some reason what), but the second half is packed with solid insight and in-depth explanations of the symbolism in the movie and a spot-on understanding of what it was trying to achieve. I'd definitely recommend watching this review if you're like most fans who saw that movie and were left with torrid feelings.

(My personal feelings were that aside from the movie maybe being too long, they did the absolute best job they could have possibly done with...an obvious cashgrab idea. It's solid work by a great writer who had to work with a premise that betrays the original thematic intent of the show he wrote, and he's been very honest about all that process. So that makes it a fascinating work of art and a cashgrab all at once! Yay.)

I thought the review was fairly good in the second part and not so much in the first as well. As for the themes, I tend to agree with the conclusion SF Debris came to that, while on its own Rebellion is good, it is entirely counterproductive with regards to the themes and message so elegantly conveyed by the initial series - but it could easily, with the addition of another (hopefully final) part once again come full circle and reassert the central thematic elements of the original, while expanding on the themes already there such as the discourse on selflessness versus selfishness and adding new elements of its own.

One of the main things Rebellion is - rightly - criticized for is that it is an unfinished story, or otherwise one constructed far different from the standard (and things usually become standard for a reason). It ends quite a bit before a traditional climax would occur, instead finishing with the characters at their lowest, in many ways. If Rebellion was a monomyth, the ending would be the death, the ordeal, which rather than being confronted and dealt with it simply stops. I still feel it is a good movie, one which acts more as an engrossing character study than anything else - and that is mostly how I enjoyed it really. But due to its construction, it has no recourse but to act as a thematic stumbling-block for the larger work, and for someone without interest in Homura's character, or simply someone very much wanting and expecting a good story, it doesn't really have that much to offer.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah, the "React" they're trademarking is the youtube/react url and channel title, not the word as used in a video title or the concept of filming people responding to things. I hope they didn't get ownership of any of those people in their videos, though. I like that one bald old guy.

They've locked him in a cage and feed him only kale now

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
My 11-year-old self thought Phantom Menace was awesome and the original trilogy was stuffy and boring, so clearly that's the truth :smuggo:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
He looks like a shady landlord, perhaps with an exaggerated Greek accent, that the protagonist of some comedy movie might have humorous clashes with.

I think it's the stubble.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

SkinCrawling posted:

Todd posted his review of "7 Years

I quite like the tune really.

I mean agreed on a lot about the lyrics being bad and the front-man seeming douchey. Not a huge fan of his voice either though I don't necessarily find it bad to listen to like Todd apparently. But I like the actual music.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

New episode - in which I watch my FIRST ROLAND EMMERICH MOVIE EVER. Unfortunately, it's Stonewall.

I've never watched Stonewall but I've seen enough people criticizing it to recognize most of the complaints. I never knew just how ugly it is though. I can only imagine the glaring yellow tone was a stylistic choice but I can't imagine why they thought making it so drat awful was worth it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

DStecks posted:

NCG just put out two new videos:
snip

That 'transition' 1 minute into his Baldur's Gate video is baffling even by his production standards :psyduck:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Counterpoint: Phantom Menace loving ruled when I was 11 and as I haven't ever rewatched it I'm forced to conclude it still in fact rules and RLM are in fact stupid poopyheads with bad opinions. Take that!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

cat doter posted:

I liked to poo poo in my neighbour's letterbox when I was 11 and I haven't done that again since and I'm pretty sure it that was bad and stupid

How can you know if you haven't tried it again

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That just shows lack of perspective. Even the Golden Raspberry Awards Foundation didn't think they were the worst movies of the year (only AOT garnered a nomination, and was roundly beaten by Swept Away). For all their faults, the Prequels are still attractive as ornate space fantasies. They're not even particularly repellent, as evident by how intently they're studied and dissected. I don't think I've achieved more by spending thousands of words on Patrick Rothfuss's books than a single good review and moving on could. Same with the Prequels.

Those are primarily some rhetorical questions:

- Why are the prequels are so important despite being just bad-to-mediocre films?
- Why would anyone seriously use the term "prequel apologist" while discussing movies?
- The obvious answer to the two questions above is that it's because they're Star Wars movies and thus automatically important.
- This leads to the question of why Star Wars movies are considered so important.

The answer in the following paragraph is that they receive undue attention. The subtext of it is that works like the Plinkett reviews misguidedly turn the movies into even bigger Events, thus undermining their own criticism. The more they tighten their grip, the more these movies will slip through their fingers.

I generally agree with the idea that nobody should care about the Star Wars Prequels, but other than your second point (yes everyone gets way too emotionally invested in their dumb entertainment to the detriment of discourse) I feel the rest is pretty easily answered with 'because they're relevant'. Nobody gives a poo poo Jurassic Park 3 was a poo poo movie from around that time, but that's because Jurassic World really didn't have anything to do with it and in any case, was a single release thus far rather than a complete restart of a cinematic universe. With Force Awakens, Rogue One and other future Star Wars films making Star Wars once again a cultural touch-stone, and those movies tying themselves to the entirety of the Star Wars filmography, Prequels included, it's only natural that the same fans that argue about all kinds of bullshit also argue about Prequels again like they did back when they were released. Just like people argue about dumb superhero movies or whatever.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
One Hit Wonders is Todd's best series anyway since it contains actual researched material and also an ungodly amount of earworms. That said I don't actually mind the shallow pop reviews because I have no strong feelings about pretty much any of the songs or artists he reviews and haven't heard most of them beforehand either.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

A tragical number of progressives seem to be labouring under the illusion that politics work like online discourse: drive your opponent away, and they disappear and you don't need to worry anymore. In reality, they will actually stick around:

Just replace any variation of "journalists" with "liberals".

And let's not forget the sheer hubris of people who actually thought that "white people dying off will swing the US leftward" was a viable electoral strategy.

Yes that's different from the alt-right because ???

Seriously the left's only difference is they're not vitriolic ENOUGH about it. Which isn't a bad thing because yeah, no poo poo you shouldn't encourage harassment-campaigns and threats constantly. Replace 'racist' with 'SJW' and you're describing the alt-right far more accurately than the left. In fact I'd argue the opposite of your point - progressives on the internet need to realize that online discourse, though a tiny part of what decides the president (99% of Trump voters don't know what a 4chan is), DOES matter in politics now and they letting the right completely dominate political discourse online because the alt-right can and will do all they can, including unsavory hosed-up poo poo, to win any argument and drive people out of political discourse if they speak up against the alt-right, while the most progressives do is make fun of frog memes. I've yet to see 'progressives' succeed in driving anyone away on the internet.

Of course, recognizing the problem doesn't mean you can find an effective strategy to fight it.

To get back on topic, I gotta wonder, how many people watch internet critics/reviewers more for information than for entertainment? It struck me recently that a lot of stuff I'm watching gets a lot of poo poo in many places for being inaccurate or approaching things from strange view-points making people unable to watch them, when I personally don't ACTUALLY care if they're right or accurate most of the time. The exception would be something like Todd's recent song reviews which, yeah, are a little same-y and don't even have much in way of jokes or anything. And I don't think I'd be able to watch someone as clueless as Doug. But I watch a lot of stuff where that doesn't bother me at all - for example, History Buffs, Shut Up and Sit Down and other board-game reviewers, even Yahtzee, etc. One where it really stood out to me how much I didn't really care was with Noah Caldwell-Gervais, because he did two retrospectives on games really personal to me (Baldur's Gate 2 defined my childhood gaming, and I was hugely into Starcraft/2 for years), and I definitely noticed a lot of mistakes and simply very big differences in our experience with and approach to these games between him and me. But the errors and irreconcilable perspectives (mostly in the Starcraft video) didn't really bother me at all, and I was still engaged in his videos. Even though his videos are definitely less on the casual entertainment side of things than most of the stuff I watch I still didn't really give those things much thought.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Congratulations, you have learned nothing.

Again, might want to get back on topic rather than continuing politics-chat, especially if what you have to offer is condescending one-liners without any substance or credibility rather than actual discussion.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's 2016 cut your pat hack South Park Republican "maybe the truth is in the middle" bullshit

I don't know how you got that impression considering I'm a hard-left European but you sure showed me.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Asuron posted:

You know there are timers on each of the awards right and that section is only 28 minutes talking about all the games he nominated? I even watched just to make sure and he talks about No Mans Sky for maybe 5 minutes at the end when he decides the award for that category and that's not even what he says...

In fact his longest segment looks to be the positive one where he talked about games that have improved the most

Why lie about the content when it can be so easily fact checked? People in this thread are weird I swear.

I watched it live (well, had it on in the background while playing games) and he brought up NMS/Hello Games constantly throughout. At least four different occasions for different categories.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

I always end up going back to an Onion AV Club (yeah yeah) article that compares Sherlock and Elementary that makes the same broad points. It takes the former show apart in a few incisive paragraphs (it also spoils Elementary's first season pretty heavily).

I haven't watched Sherlock since season 2 and never thought it was all that (fun tough) and never watched Elementary, but most of the arguments in your quoted part seem real bad. I mean lol just lol at the idea of 'nooo but you need boring pointless filler episodes so there's room to breathe' or whatever. The Brits have the right of it there, if you don't have anything to tell just don't loving do it and make 3 episodes every 2 years instead. While i didn't watch the season as I mentioned I did read a few articles on why it was apparently bad and everything I've seen regarding complaints and plot/characterization details seems to indicate it was bad because the writing was bad - probably caused by an unleashed Moffat - and not because it didn't follow glorious American television formulas like 'milk the show for three dozen episodes a year' or whatever.

The last part does have merit but is also something I don't blame the show for as a baseline. Yes Sherlock can be kinda annoying in how much it loves Sherlock, but honestly the books do too, if perhaps not quite as much. That's like half the point of Sherlock Holmes. And as for the 'Sherlock has to be at the center of it' part, again, it seems like that's a problem with the writing of later seasons because I thought the two seasons I watched had a good balance on that.

I have no trouble believing that Elementary is better than Sherlock season 4 but I don't really see the point of trying to attribute it to nebulous stuff like more episodes or more developed supporting cast - which I think is nice and all but absolutely not necessary to make a great show - when the actual answer of 'writer known for going up his own rear end went up his own rear end' is available right there. Even if the Brits Brexited all over us Euros I still have enough of a soft spot for the British format of TV-shows I've loved since a kid, and annoyance at how America keeps ruining shows I like by cramming in more and more and more episodes until they turn into poo poo, that I feel a natural urge to defend the former over the latter.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I always preferred Suchet's Poirot over Sherlock myself, even though I only watched a fraction of the total episode output (I was surprised to find it had so many, I barely saw like 10). Probably his smug genius was counterbalanced by being a fat baldie with a weirdo mustache.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

A procedural, inspired by episodic fiction, has a lot of episodes. It boggles the mind.

Procedurals, are bad in the opinion of this poster

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
You're right, I didn't really put much thought into my reply and being ESL I'm not really used to the term as relating to detective/mystery-solving fiction in general, it just makes me think of garbage like CSI and poo poo. Procedurals, are good!

I'm still not sure what you're trying to say with your first post though. There's nothing inherently episodic about procedurals at all and there's no problem with me simultaneously finding procedural fiction good and T-shows with few episodes good at the same time???

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

I mean you can watch both of them if you want, and then you might be able to make a more informed opinion. I have watched both of them and it's night and day how Elementary manages to a) naturally build the Holmes and Watson characters primarily through their interactions with each other and the world and b) do a much better job of creating stakes and reasons why you ought to care about what's going on. It occurs through a much more drawn-out procedural format, but then it also has actual mysteries which the characters are expected to solve. Sherlock saves a lot of time by skipping the mystery portion of the story.

On the internet critic subject, I like Shamus Young's articles but I can't help but think that Spoiler Warning would be ten times better if they kicked out at least one person. I know they're capable of thinking through things and making insightful statements, but it's hard to do that when there's like twenty different people trying to talk at any given time.

To be honest I don't have that much interest in either show (there's a reason I just never bothered picking up Sherlock season 3 even though it came off of two generally accepted as strong seasons), I was mostly reacting to the arguments whoever was quoted made regarding formats rather than having any interest in defending Sherlock or attacking Elementary. It's perfectly possible for a show to have tons of episodes and also be great, it's just in my opinion a case of 'despite' and not 'because'.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

So Jontron is just coming out with it and buddying up with gross shitbag people like Sargon now.

"JonTron just said he hopes Le Pen and Geert Wilders win"

"Now they're discussing AfD in Germany. JonTron is unclear on who they are but they're all cheering for them"

Hmmm I'm used to youtube stars turning out to be generic kinda assholes but Jon really seems to be committing to it at unprecedented levels this month

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I mean, Trump has been pretty effective granted he's only been in office for a week. It's just that he's effective at things that are Bad, and in some cases stupid (you have no idea how much I laughed at all the wall news this week, as a non-American at least Trump can provide some humor).

But yeah he's got a lot of terrible opinions huh

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Leaving his content and person aside, a lot of TB's videos are offensively long. Yeah sometimes you want to show an hour's worth of gameplay sure, but does a 'talking about videogames thing' video really need to be 45 minutes? When the other, actually good talking mans like Super Bunnyhop or whatever don't even need 10?

He should hire a (better) editor.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Leal posted:

This makes Phil even lazier, somehow.

Yeah, I don't see it being really possible anymore to actually make a living off streaming now that there are a bunch of big names out there that everyone defaults to watching. You would need to either catch the fancy of some Saudi prince to fund you or get a massive following, or at least enough people willing to donate to you. And honestly, one is just as likely as the other. How do you get an audience? Do you advertise yourself? Where? Reddit? SA? 4chan? Other people are doing that, enough people do that that you'll probably be ran out cause they're fed up with aspiring streamers flooding their message board. Do you just start streaming and hope to grow an audience? What game do you play to attract that audience? Do you play the latest and greatest and be in direct competition with literally every other big name streamer who is also streaming that exact game? Stream niche games? That probably wont generate much of an audience.

Though I can be wrong, I managed to have more people viewing me streaming when I was trying to do mic checks (cause twitch doesn't let you do private streams) and more people were watching me looking at the title screen of a game asking my brother how I sound compared to the game then when I actually started playing the game, so what do I know?

I think it's very doable actually (though I'd never have the confidence to try it myself). Or rather, the threshold for being successful enough to live off of streaming is a lot lower than 'fancy Saudi Prince support/megastar success', although still high enough that the vast majority of streamers won't reach it.

For example I watch one variety twitch streamer - who never plays any of the big twitch games really - pretty regularly who gets a viewership between 1k and 5k normally depending on game played/time of day, probably around 2.5k - 3k average, and they can apparently live off subs/donations only quite fine in Sweden at least. Now obviously, a couple thousand viewers is not LOW popularity by any means - I'm often surprised at how low viewership some obviously charistmatic and fairly well known personalities have, especially in the speedrunning scene - but there are many, many streamers who can approach or exceed those numbers for sure. Just firing up the three most popular games on twitch at this moment and there are about 13-14 LOL streams, 8 DOTA streams and 4 Hearthstone streams online right this moment that's hitting those viewership numbers or better. Now obviously maybe the guy I'm watching has a larger % of subs compared to viewers or gets more donations than average or what have you, but it still seems like there's a LOT of streamers on twitch who should be able to make a living off streaming if they wanted to, though not necessarily making a ton of money.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

stillvisions posted:

There's a couple caveats to that sort of thing:

1) I've known people who do entertainment stuff downplay or omit mention of side work because (off the record) part of their job is "selling the dream" to the fanbase. In public it's all "yeah, it's a great job" and in private it's "well, it's really more of a side-gig" but they gotta keep up appearances.

2) "enough to live on" starts to change once you're out of your 20s. I know this thread has talked about "sorry, I have to take a hiatus; my car broke down" stories from critics, and they were "living off" streaming by having no savings or safety net. Car trouble, illness, computer failure, stolen gear etc. can derail stuff pretty quickly, let alone making enough money to actually accumulate savings.

True enough, but someone on the level of the guy I'm basing it off definitely doesn't fall into either of these. For one his streaming hours, ability to do long streams seemingly at random, etc makes it very unlikely he could have any kind of job. For another he's unusually open about his personal life (not in an oversharing way but in a 'see his house, friends/family come on camera, mods in chat know him in person' way) so it'd be tough to hide poo poo like that. Based on that and the kind of gear he can afford (impulse-buying a PS4Pro because he wanted better-looking games than his PS4, buying an SSD for his PS4 because he wanted better loading times for casual speedrunning, etc) he also definitely doesn't seem to be a struggling kind of streamer.

Well, again, the vast majority of streamers won't reach that level so in that way it's a fairly exclusive club. But new streamers start every day that reach those sorts of numbers eventually - it's not like all the popular slots are taken by now. And there's still a lot of streamers at this level of success.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

Apparently a well known Twitch streamer named Destiny challenged JonTron to a live debate about his recent controversial alt-right/white supremacist statements and Jon doubled down on everything. Surprisingly this seems to have finally forced his fans (even the ones on Reddit and YouTube) to acknowledge that maybe he actually is a racist piece of poo poo (rather then just that he hangs out with other ones on live streams and in journalistic interviews) and they're melting down over it.

It takes a LOT of effort to make Destiny look like the reasonable and decent person in a debate but it seems Jon went above and beyond the call of duty

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

"We have to give everyone a platform to speak from" is one of the stupidest viewpoints and it chaps my hide whenever people try to hide behind it. I don't know who this Destiny schmuck is but acting like there shouldn't be consequences for saying some outrageous bullshit is real dumb.
Back when he was a big(ish) SC2 streamer (and pretty controversial) he was huge on lovely stuff that would be pretty in line with some alt-right things. Apparently his opinions are not as terrible these days but he's always been ridiculously obsessed with debating for debating's sake, and I imagine he mostly just plays devil's advocate against whatever sad ineloquent schmuck he can get on his streams be it a royal shithead like Jon or just some random with weird/bad opinions. I'm certainly not gonna tune in to find out.

The funny thing is he's apparently pretty proud of being open to change his mind and views any number of times if he's presented a good enough argument...but even though it might be somewhat true, back when I followed SC2 scene somewhat closely it was ONLY true when he was not actually debating said issue - once it turns into a debate he became completely unable to let something rest and went into complete contrarian mode and even if he was somehow, impossibly, looking in the right he would still refuse to ever end the debate no matter what. He's basically addicted to arguing.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

financially racist posted:

i dunno i thought it was one of his better ones lately but then i don't know that simple pop songs necessary require a more in-depth analysis 99% of the time. i also think what he said at the start of the video is true in that most bad pop songs are just kinda bland, and that'd make it a lot harder to make really good reviews. there's more to dissect in poo poo like bad will.i.am songs than what's out there now.

that said i'd still be ok with him just doing one hit wonderlands and bad pop star movies.

That's kinda the problem I feel, there is indeed no reason to give this song any more thought than 'it doesn't suit Ed Sheeran' and that's indeed exactly what we got and it really can't carry a video, or even half a video. Like there was nothing interesting or insightful or funny to talk about regarding the song at all.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
TBH I love a lot about DS2 - it's the most interesting and fun game to make builds in to me and I don't care a lot about many of the biggest complaints (level-design or soul memory for example - the latter was a bad idea but I was a year late and don't see much PvP anyway whenever I play so didn't affect me much). But to me, DS2 will always be the worst just because it feels so sluggish and slow to play compared to any of the other Souls games to me. From the running animation to swing-timers and how responsive your dodge is, DS2 feels like it's taking place in a world where the air has been replaced with treacle.

Also gently caress infinite healing items. BB did it okay since it's basically just DS1 at its most generous, DS2 did not.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
DS2 is by far the worst healing system imo, gently caress infinite lifegems forever. BB would have been better if it emphasized the rally system a bit more where bosses are concerned I think, in practice it often ends up not doing much unless you trade (which is rarely gonna go well against a boss). As it is the vials are a bit too important and plentiful I feel, but I still like the overall system and rallying especially. Also if you got stuck without vials and had to farm them that was awful, I bet a decent number of players new to these games ran into that. DS1 and DS3 are both tough for me to evaluate, I kinda prefer 3's. Thing is, it was cool in DS1 how even at the end of the game you wouldn't have more Estus unless you actually committed resources towards it. But in practice there was a TON of Humanity and you could always stockpile the items, use them on the bonfires of the most central/difficult areas, and be perfectly fine. Which kinda meant it was just artificially difficult on my first playthrough, where I hoarded Humanity like my RPG-hoarder roots demanded while dying way too much for soft humanity drops to be useful, while not knowing where kindling was best done or even where to get the Rite. On the other hand, I really liked how DS3 strains your resources early on but making Estus stocks just a permanent upgrade rather than something you had to keep committing resources to is a little lame too.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

business hammocks posted:

RLM went to film school--that's why their great advantage against all the other internet critics was using screenwriting exercises to diagnose the problems with the prequels (describe Liam Neeson's character without naming his job or his clothes).

On the other hand I remember that very criticism feeling pretty bullshit when I watched it. Even as a perfectly stupid person, who hasn't seen Phantom Menace since about when it released when I was 9, I could easily mention several things. He was clearly a dogmatic character, who struggled with having his philosophy and principles questioned by the situation he found himself in regarding Anakin. Indeed his character frequently showed a very open mind and a lot of level-headedness whenever he dealt with a new person or situation like the Gungans or the whole Tatooine situation. He showed a lot of responsibility and kindness in how he interacted with both Anakin and Obi-Wan. He was perhaps not a natural leader but one that could do the job very effectively when asked to and didn't shy away from it. Etc, etc, this is just poo poo that popped into my mind now, 20 years and 75% of my life later. I can't even really remember any of his dialogue. Also his hair was bitchin'

I think the prequels are pretty bad (there were much worse things than Qui Gon in there...) but I also disagreed with a huge number of their complaints either outright or because I thought their rose-tinted glasses for the original movies were massive and they did no better.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Gotta be honest HBomb is in the same category for me as guys like Joseph Anderson or Caldwell-Gervais or the like where I typically open the video and look at the length and then close the video again

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've watched one or two mega-long video (obviously they all do shorter videos too which are fine) from all of them that have been of special interest to me, like NCG's Starcraft retrospective or HBomb's Bloodborne raving, and that I found okay. And even then I think the ones I finished could and should have been way shorter. Whenever I've tried watching one of those long-rear end videos where I haven't had any real knowledge of or investment in the topic, on the other hand, not so good.

E: Though at least HBomb has jokes and somewhat energetic voice, the other two are also dry as hell

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Bakeneko posted:

The question is, if they weren’t trying to threaten him, why include that part in first place? They could just have said that the account that made the meme apologized, and leave it at that. A major news outlet shouldn't even be devoting so much time to a drat meme video in the first place. If something changes in the future and it becomes newsworthy they can reveal it then, but there’s no reason to say anything right now other than as a threat.

better question is why should we react to them legally threatening a racist rear end in a top hat with something they're being downright charitable in not doing already as a bad thing, rather than as a 'gently caress yeah' thing

• Locked thread